http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 07:59:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 - totally missing from ads - Wii everywhere  (Read 2400 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2006, 04:07:20 PM »

I was a bit shocked to see that in today's ads there was nothing about the PS3.  Now before you say "hey, Farley there are none to buy!" I know that but there was nothing....no games, no accessories,  no mention whatsoever about the PS3 in the Best Buy, Target, or Toys-R-Us ad.  I expected at least to see the games listed on one of the insert pages.  Meanwhile the Wii was on the front page of almost every add (I even think I saw it in the Talbots ad! smile

I think Nintendo pulled off a huge, huge win.  By waiting until Sunday Nintendo let the PS3 shoot its wad and now it is dead.  There are no more consoles, no big games, no hype, no excitement....and Nintendo stepped right in to satisfy the Christmas urge. 

It kind of makes me sad because I love my PS2.  I stood in line on launch day, I think the Final Fantasy series is the best thing in gaming.  I think the library for the PS2 is could keep me busy for years.   And Sony has pissed that all away with the PS3.  They screwed it up in so many ways I need all my fingers and toes to just list the biggest gaffs. 

I really hope SquareEnix is sitting in meetings with Nintendo talking about how to get FF on to the Wii. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 04:11:38 PM »

My Best Buy add that came in the mail yesterday had the PS3 on the cover.  I remember thinking why bother if you have none to sell? 

As a side note I spoke with a friend who works at Micro Center.  They are offering a $100 rebate on 360s.  He told me they had sold over 120 360s since Monday.  They also had about 40 Wiis still in stock as of 11am this morning.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 04:18:32 PM »

Who needs ads? Sony is too busy basking in the glow of their own perceived awesomeness. What was it Kutaragi said? Oh yeah, this:

PS3 is “for consumers to think to themselves ‘I will work more hours to buy one’. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else.”

Ken, you're a precious gem....

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 04:28:49 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 19, 2006, 04:11:38 PM

As a side note I spoke with a friend who works at Micro Center.  They are offering a $100 rebate on 360s.  He told me they had sold over 120 360s since Monday.  They also had about 40 Wiis still in stock as of 11am this morning.

Wish I lived in your area... because I just got back from going around all the stores near me and all are sold out for the wii.  :icon_sad:
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 06:04:37 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 19, 2006, 04:07:20 PM

I was a bit shocked to see that in today's ads there was nothing about the PS3.  Now before you say "hey, Farley there are none to buy!" I know that but there was nothing....no games, no accessories,  no mention whatsoever about the PS3 in the Best Buy, Target, or Toys-R-Us ad.  I expected at least to see the games listed on one of the insert pages.  Meanwhile the Wii was on the front page of almost every add (I even think I saw it in the Talbots ad! smile

I think Nintendo pulled off a huge, huge win.  By waiting until Sunday Nintendo let the PS3 shoot its wad and now it is dead.  There are no more consoles, no big games, no hype, no excitement....and Nintendo stepped right in to satisfy the Christmas urge. 

It kind of makes me sad because I love my PS2.  I stood in line on launch day, I think the Final Fantasy series is the best thing in gaming.  I think the library for the PS2 is could keep me busy for years.   And Sony has pissed that all away with the PS3.  They screwed it up in so many ways I need all my fingers and toes to just list the biggest gaffs. 

I really hope SquareEnix is sitting in meetings with Nintendo talking about how to get FF on to the Wii. 

icon_lol

There are no Wii's left either now. Most places had between 10-30.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 07:27:02 PM »

Thankfully there's hard proof they're not.  FFXIII will be on PS3.

Last-gen Final Fantasy would suck anyway.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 08:14:46 PM »

Clearly you haven't played FFXII on the PS2.  *drool*  Fantastic game and a great cap to the 'last gen' stuff. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 08:28:27 PM »

The PS3 is featured prominently in every local ad I have seen today. Maybe your sampling is too small Farley.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 09:21:04 PM »

Also, it's a bit early to sing doom and gloom for the PS3 after two days of its initial (messed up) launch.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 09:37:28 PM by Fellow » Logged

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 09:34:21 PM »

I think the reason the PS3 isn't in most ads (or any, from what was with my Sunday Paper) is because it was on the cover for most of last week's, and the Wii is just launching today so it gets the cover. 

That isn't to say that they shouldn't at least have games and accessories inside with the other console stuff, but maybe they just figured that if they sold out of PS3s as planned it is better not to advertise for something they won't have in stock. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 10:18:37 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 19, 2006, 06:04:37 PM

icon_lol

There are no Wii's left either now. Most places had between 10-30.

Ditto here, but retailers are saying they should have no problem getting them between now and Christmas, so unlike the PS3, its likely you will see Wii's on the shelves very soon.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 10:20:22 PM »

Hey now, I saw an Untold Legends trailer before a movie last night...it was ultra, ultra lame.

TheMissingLink on PSN
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 10:48:34 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 19, 2006, 08:14:46 PM

Clearly you haven't played FFXII on the PS2.  *drool*  Fantastic game and a great cap to the 'last gen' stuff. 
I have played it, and it's a fine last hurrah, but given the time it takes to crank out a Final Fantasy game, (2-3 years last I checked?), last gen is just going to be unacceptable at that point.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 11:13:43 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 19, 2006, 10:48:34 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 19, 2006, 08:14:46 PM

I have played it, and it's a fine last hurrah, but given the time it takes to crank out a Final Fantasy game, (2-3 years last I checked?), last gen is just going to be unacceptable at that point.

I can see your point here...what I think we may see is a spin-off type game rather than a full new FF adventure.
For instance, they are doing the Dragonquest Swords thing (which does NOT look good, IMO).
I'd hope for something more interesting than that but you get the idea.
But if they can make new FF titles for DS (e.g. the upcoming Revenant Wings) I don't see why not the Wii.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 11:53:16 PM »

They did put out that FF Crystal Chronicles game on the Cube, and the GameStop site is showing a sequel (The Chrystal [sic] Bearers) for next holiday season, although we all know to take that date with a huge grain of salt. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 06:46:22 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 19, 2006, 11:53:16 PM

They did put out that FF Crystal Chronicles game on the Cube, and the GameStop site is showing a sequel (The Chrystal [sic] Bearers) for next holiday season, although we all know to take that date with a huge grain of salt. 

Is that the DS version they are working on?

Their previous design for FFCC, I guess you could say it was ahead of it's time.  The concept, practically speaking, was really bad for the GC.  But, it seems pretty perfect for the DS.
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 08:23:08 AM »

in all fairness, all of last weeks ad's were PS3 heavy... I expected exactly what we got this week, Wii heavy ads

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 01:53:45 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 19, 2006, 11:53:16 PM

Regardless of the quality of the game itself, I don't think anyone thinks of Crystal Chronicles as a "real" Final Fantasy game. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 03:28:52 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 19, 2006, 07:27:02 PM

Thankfully there's hard proof they're not.  FFXIII will be on PS3.

No kidding. I've been playing a 360 since February, and I took one look at FFXII, and I was all like "$#@& that sandpaper-on-my-eyes low-res shit".  Roll Eyes

Oh, the hilarity of the continued slaps against the Wii for allegedly not being "next-gen" enough.

Me, I would be just fine with FFXIII even if it was on the PS2 in 2-3 years time. *shrugs* Would I love to see XII with high-res graphics? Sure, why not? Do I really care that much that it isn't? No, not really. Would XIII look just fine on the Wii with 480p widescreen rather than 720p? Why yes, yes it would.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 06:46:01 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 20, 2006, 03:28:52 PM

Oh, the hilarity of the continued slaps against the Wii for allegedly not being "next-gen" enough.
What's so hilarious about that?  Nintendo went from being on top of the hardware world with the SNES to a long, steady decline in the competitive quality of their hardware.  And before some moron drools all over that point with spittle about GAEMPWAY, let me go ahead and say that yeah, Nintendo's pretty good at making games.  Those games would be even better on modern hardware.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 06:52:35 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 19, 2006, 08:28:27 PM

The PS3 is featured prominently in every local ad I have seen today. Maybe your sampling is too small Farley.

It was a completely non-scientific sample.  Just my local paper. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 06:56:15 PM »

As the developers learn how to get more out of the 360 and PS3 I see the gap between the Wii and the other two consoles only getting bigger as the generation moves on and more people get HD TVs.  Say what you will about gameplay.  But alot of people are going to go with cutting edge visuals.  After playing games on the 360 for the last year I'm not sure I even want to go back to Wii quality graphics.  I think Nintendo can get away with sub par visuals on handhelds, and even on tabletop systems for a little while.  But in the long run I still think it is going to really hurt the Wii.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 06:59:29 PM »

I don't even really think Nintendo was top of the hardware heap with the SNES, not in machine capabilities. (Turbo Grafx was still better to me, Genesis was also powerful)  SNES was the better selling system by far, but it wasn't far and above the best technically.

The Gamecube was behind the PS2 and Xbox in capability in my eyes as well.  So to me the Wii just continues the slip of Nintendo from technical forefront to niche market.  I do think the Wii is a good thing even if I won't get one for a long time.  I don't think it being lower res will kill it though.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 07:11:03 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 20, 2006, 06:59:29 PM

I do think the Wii is a good thing even if I won't get one for a long time.  I don't think it being lower res will kill it though.

I encourage you to pick one up sooner than later even if only to help keep you away from that bloody sniper rifle.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 07:14:28 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 20, 2006, 06:46:01 PM

Quote from: Farscry on November 20, 2006, 03:28:52 PM

What's so hilarious about that?  Nintendo went from being on top of the hardware world with the SNES to a long, steady decline in the competitive quality of their hardware.  And before some moron drools all over that point with spittle about GAEMPWAY, let me go ahead and say that yeah, Nintendo's pretty good at making games.  Those games would be even better on modern hardware.

Really now?

The N64 had stronger hardware than the PS1. The chief difference was the choice of media. Cartridges eliminated load times, but CD's had more storage and the capability of playing pre-recorded audio rather than synthesized audio. Sensible choice at the time, but as developers went apeshit over unnecessary full-motion video files (very few games, most notably some of Square's releases, actually made good use of this), this led to the popularity and domination of the PS1 over the N64.

The Gamecube sadly repeated the same mistake, with Nintendo opting for a proprietary quick-loading disc format over the DVD format that the PS2 and X-Box utilized. However, Nintendo once again took the lead in setting up well-done efficient architecture on the system hardware itself, allowing it to compete almost directly head-to-head with the X-Box which had the raw power advantage over its competition. The PS2 was notably weaker than both the Cube and the X-Box, but it was riding on its marketing wave and name recognition, plus getting to market ahead.

With this generation, the 360 is the strongest system of the bunch, imo. Not only by getting a solid, efficient architecture going (with ATI, who co-developed the Cube's outstanding architecture), but with Microsoft's very well-done integration of the Live service throughout the 360. The Wii is another solid option by Nintendo, going for a unique take on the gaming experience with an admittedly less powerful system than the 360 or the PS3. With the PS3, Sony is multiplying the mistakes they made with the PS2 along with an entirely new batch of them.

Now, is 720p significantly better than 480p? Yes. You'd have to have poor eyesight to not be able to tell the difference. However, 480p in 16:9 still looks very nice, and at that resolution the Wii is closer in capabilities to the 360 or PS3 than it is to the Cube. Whether or not that makes it "last-gen" is up to each individual, but it's not an undisputable fact.

Given the facts, new Square-Enix games on the Cube would not be automatically "last-gen"; that would depend on how much of a graphics whore one is, I suppose.

My mistake in posting was violating the number 1 rule of posting on the internet: don't feed the trolls.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 07:17:18 PM by Farscry » Logged

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 07:25:12 PM »

To me there is a HUGE difference in quality between 480p and 720p.  But of course that is just my opinion. 

I would also argue that Nintendo's model for online play is eons behind Microsoft and will be way behind Sony as well when all is said and done.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 08:18:09 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 20, 2006, 07:25:12 PM

To me there is a HUGE difference in quality between 480p and 720p.  But of course that is just my opinion.

That I won't argue against. However, that doesn't make 480p automatically not good enough. Viva Pinata on my tv at 720p is phenomenally gorgeous. But even on a decent 480i set it still looks fantastic. I've checked it out myself.

As for the online play, I don't think Sony or Nintendo will be able to come up with anything close to what MS has with Live. However, in the long run, I think Nintendo may just manage to rival the service Sony will have. But to do that, they need to get off their ass and start getting online multiplayer going now, not waiting for Pokemon.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 08:44:43 PM »

I really think the problem here is just resolution. 480i is just not sharp enough in the end run. Even if they hadn't made the games true HD, just playing them in 720 could have made a HUUGE difference.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 10:07:39 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 20, 2006, 08:44:43 PM

I really think the problem here is just resolution. 480i is just not sharp enough in the end run. Even if they hadn't made the games true HD, just playing them in 720 could have made a HUUGE difference.

?

720p is true HD.  Or do you mean they should have just included a scaler instead of rendering HD in the frame buffer?  If it's just a scaler, I've always thought they might do an update in 2008 or 2009 with just that and some comments from a Nintendo executive  in an article I saw today indicated they might be thinking the same thing (he commented that they didn't have HD at the start). 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: