http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:32:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 to launch in September? Plus PS3 online info.  (Read 2344 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2006, 12:58:06 AM »

:roll: right, and they didn't claim that the videos were ingame. You're right, Sony's hype machine is non-existant, and they weren't touting that their games were being developed for 1080p as a STANDARD.

:/

Sony boasted in its E3 presentation that the PlayStation 3 could output 1080p over two separate HDMI outputs, enabling dual-HDTV gaming. However, this is a future-looking feature to say the least, as most HDTVs on the market today cannot output 1080p.

Right, like the TV is the "big" limitation. Clearly it's now the hardware. They were talking about DUAL 1080p output less than a year ago. Now we're seeing that they're not even doing 1080i ? I call that DROPPED.

Oh, and one last quote, cuz I'm feeling generous :
"UPDATE: We have just been updated by our away team at the SCEA conference that not only will 1080p be supported by the system, but that this is considered the standard resolution for the system. Every game for the PS3 will be in incredible, indelible, indubitable HD.

Nobody at IGN even owns a TV that can do 1080p, but that's the system's goal - to give HDTV a killer app piece of hardware that people will no longer be able to live without. Get your wallet ready..."

There is no mistaken context there; this was published and Sony knows this was going out. It is the expectation they've set, and now it's slipping.

There's also a question as to whether the HD is going to be in it (per the Koei exec) and what else is going to be scaled down? The smoke and the mirrors are starting to part way for the real product. The PS3 seen at E3 last year was as real as the Phantom at that time.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2006, 01:28:59 AM »

I'm not going to get into the Sony hype stuff here because, frankly, it's irrelevant here.  You pointed out that the "specs" weren't finalized since 1080p won't be common or somesuch.   "Specs" in this case simply means that the PS3 has the built in hardware with the ability to render and/or decode 1080p video.  It can do this- that hasn't changed.  1080p support in gaming may not be common but that will have everything thing to do with how adept developers are at programming for the platform and nothing to do with the current hardware configuration of the system as it pertains to manufacturing or the ability to make it to market in a specific timeframe.  

I'll make it as clear as possible- the ability to output 1080p video is specific to the hardware platform and the PS3 is "equipped" to do this.  Those are "specs".  They haven't changed since E3.  Even if a single game never output 1080p, all Bluray disks will.

Maybe Sony oversold, lied, what have you the extent of gaming support of 1080p.  Hate them all you want.  But it has nothing whatsoever to do with whether the PS3's specs have changed which is the specific point I responded to.

Quote from: "Purge"

[edit] I should also clarify when I said dropped, i meant dropped their standard resolution, not drop the support for it.

Again to be entirely clear- that may be the case but it has nothing to do with whether Sony's hardware configuration is finalized enough to make it to market.  

Specs only means the ability to do it.  Hasn't changed.  The capablity of the hardware and developers will define the extent of the support but it has nothing to do with manufacturing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: