http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 09:45:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 to launch in September? Plus PS3 online info.  (Read 2427 times)
Ralph-Wiggum
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2006, 09:13:01 PM »

Also posted at OO (sorry Canuck!).

Link

Developer sources are also suggesting that PlayStation 3 is currently scheduled to launch in September. A launch games release schedule seen by our sources states a September launch. Although the schedule does not explicitly state a hardware launch date, nor a launch territory, we understand Japan and U.S will both see the machine in September.

According to well-placed industry sources, PlayStation HUB will offer PlayStation 3 owners much the same services as Xbox Live, including chat, downloadable demos, independent games and online play. The service is also designed to support PSP online play as well as PS3. It's a departure from PlayStation 2's online strategy, widely regarded as vastly inferior to Microsoft's.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 09:24:29 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Also posted at OO (sorry Canuck!).

Link

Developer sources are also suggesting that PlayStation 3 is currently scheduled to launch in September. A launch games release schedule seen by our sources states a September launch. Although the schedule does not explicitly state a hardware launch date, nor a launch territory, we understand Japan and U.S will both see the machine in September.

According to well-placed industry sources, PlayStation HUB will offer PlayStation 3 owners much the same services as Xbox Live, including chat, downloadable demos, independent games and online play. The service is also designed to support PSP online play as well as PS3. It's a departure from PlayStation 2's online strategy, widely regarded as vastly inferior to Microsoft's.

I will believe it when Sony releases a official statement.  

While I hope Sony will have a online service like Live I seriously doubt it, but time will tell.  Guess I should pre-order now frown

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 09:36:24 PM »

No way. I dont believe this for a second. Japan and US launch in September?? Its halfway through February, and they don't even have the system specs locked down yet! How in the world would this be possible, especially if they are to get some of the Live-like features added to their multiplayer service like they are saying.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 09:50:07 PM »

Waiting for pricing information.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 10:20:37 PM »

September 2007?  smile

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 10:22:06 PM »

Why do I constantly feel like, despite all the postings, I still don't really KNOW anything about the PS3?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 10:27:43 PM »

I'll just keep on waiting, but thanks. smile
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 11:46:20 PM »

Sony keeps saying "March" officially, so until they change their tune I'm dubious of any other date.  It's not that I think it will be out in March, just that I have no idea what Sony is up to at this point.

On top of which, I thought the worldwide release of the XB360 was supposed to be such a disaster?  Why would Sony do US and Japan at the same time?

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 11:51:03 PM »

Sony could release an empty box with the PS3 logo on it and I would stand in line overnight to buy one.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 12:36:34 AM »

If this indeed is true, for me, for me, I see no reason to buy a 360.  At least at this point, anyway (there could be way cool exclusive stuff down the road, of course).

See, the only reason I stuck with an Xbox this last gen was because it was a little more powerful than the ps2, and it had better online.  And I essentially kept it around for multiplatform releases.

Hearing this information about Sony's online plans is exciting, and while I know the majority of people are writing it off as Sony propaganda/spin/lies, I think Sony has learned from last gen and are ready to improve their online features.

So I'm excited!  Yay PS3!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 01:12:05 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
No way. I dont believe this for a second. Japan and US launch in September?? Its halfway through February, and they don't even have the system specs locked down yet! How in the world would this be possible, especially if they are to get some of the Live-like features added to their multiplayer service like they are saying.

Huh?  September is seven months away.  Seven months before the 360 launched it hadn't even been announced yet much less have things like price and number of SKUs locked down.  What specs still need to be nailed down?  I'm guessing that things like Cell Frequency, RSX, and memory are finalized with the only things up in the air number of various ports, etc, which can likely be finalized much later.

If if Sony is working on a Live-like, it will probably have been in the works for quite some time now.

I'm not necessarilly trusting this information but I don't see why anyone would see a September launch as out of the question.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 01:22:08 AM »

The only thing we've heard from Sony was "Spring 2006". I think it's safe to say, it's never going to happen.

September? I hope it'll be out before then, but with nothing really new or concrete on the ps3, who knows?
If it comes out in 2007, I think I'm just going to throw all my support behind my xbox 360 since we're already in the next generation. If microsoft could just support web browsing (the ps3 has already confirmed web browsing for it - at least year's e3) I'd have no desire what so ever to even think about getting a ps3, as long as they release unreal tournament 2007 for the 360 I'll be happy.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 01:43:56 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "Calvin"

Huh?  September is seven months away.  Seven months before the 360 launched it hadn't even been announced yet much less have things like price and number of SKUs locked down.  What specs still need to be nailed down?  I'm guessing that things like Cell Frequency, RSX, and memory are finalized with the only things up in the air number of various ports, etc, which can likely be finalized much later.

If if Sony is working on a Live-like, it will probably have been in the works for quite some time now.

I'm not necessarilly trusting this information but I don't see why anyone would see a September launch as out of the question.

How dare you bring up that incredibly relevant point!  You are not to disturb the Xbox 360 love-fest! :wink:

We didn't even know what the console looked like until April 23, 2005.  Remember the crappy MTV special on May 12th?

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 02:16:21 AM »

Quote from: "Temjin"
Remember the crappy MTV special on May 12th?

Wow, yes, the laser-light show and Frodo.  Ah yes, I remember it well.  I remember laughing at it nearly nonstop.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 02:17:35 AM »

I'd love to see it in September.

Not getting my hopes up.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2006, 03:54:34 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
If microsoft could just support web browsing (the ps3 has already confirmed web browsing for it - at least year's e3) I'd have no desire what so ever to even think about getting a ps3.

Does web browsing on a console really mean that much to you?  I will eventually get a PS3, but not till 2007.  I just can't justify spending almost $1000 on 2 consoles in one callendar year.  I am perfectly satisfied with Xbox Live and have been for over 2 years.  To me the only way Sony could do it better would be to make it free.  When the PS3 has an exclusive game that I really want in 2007, I will probably get one.  So I guess I really don't care when it comes out right now.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 07:22:49 AM »

I find it hard to believe Sony would do an almost worldwide style launch too.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 01:38:08 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Why do I constantly feel like, despite all the postings, I still don't really KNOW anything about the PS3?

*raises hand*

I feel the same way about my fellow PS3. What games will it play? Will the boomerang controller still be used? Have we actually seen a 'real' (and not 'artist expectations) screenshot yet? How will we save games? Will it include the Blueray whatnot or standard DVD (to save costs)?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 02:47:24 PM »

I sincerely doubt the PS3 will launch this year at all.
(But I hope it does!)

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 02:59:13 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

*raises hand*

I feel the same way about my fellow PS3. What games will it play? Will the boomerang controller still be used? Have we actually seen a 'real' (and not 'artist expectations) screenshot yet? How will we save games? Will it include the Blueray whatnot or standard DVD (to save costs)?

Well Kevin Grey a few posts up makes a pretty good point - how much did we know about the 360 7 months before launch?  Do we hold Sony to a different standard?  I suppose so.  I know I kinda do based on past hype.  But realistically I suspect we'll be getting more solid information in the next 4-6 weeks if the Sept date is real.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2006, 04:44:59 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Destructor"

*raises hand*

Well Kevin Grey a few posts up makes a pretty good point - how much did we know about the 360 7 months before launch?  Do we hold Sony to a different standard?  I suppose so.  I know I kinda do based on past hype.  But realistically I suspect we'll be getting more solid information in the next 4-6 weeks if the Sept date is real.

Its a good point, one I didn't really think about at the time. I just find it difficult to believe Sony won't launch in Japan first.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2006, 05:57:46 PM »

Well Kevin Grey a few posts up makes a pretty good point - how much did we know about the 360 7 months before launch?

I may well by mistaken on this, but I think we knew the price and release date. Anybody remember if that's true or not?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2006, 06:28:19 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

Well Kevin Grey a few posts up makes a pretty good point - how much did we know about the 360 7 months before launch?

I may well by mistaken on this, but I think we knew the price and release date. Anybody remember if that's true or not?

I would say not.  

Via Shacknews I found that it was only on March 9th that MS even offically announced the 360, so I cannot imagine that anything hard was nailed down by April (7 months before launch)

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2006, 06:41:54 PM »

Got this from GAF and it's from Computer & Video Games magazine:

CVG's very own deep throat went on to reveal further hot info on PlayStation 3 titles that will be actually be there and in the flesh at this year's E3, with an 'absolutely gorgeous looking' SOCOM 4 confirmed for the show and likely to be a PS3 launch title.

You want more PS3 loving? Well, you'll get it in the form of a newly confirmed PS3 God of War title, which we have to say has us salivating in utter delight because its PS2 debut was absolutely cracking - we can't wait to swing Kratos' chains in anger all over again on Sony's next-gen machine. God of War PS3 may not actually make it to E3, but is apparently well into development; and interestingly, both it and SOCOM 4 will also be appearing on PS2, underlining Sony's commitment to its favoured current-gen son for the next few years.

Finally, we've got one last nugget of PS3 goodness to share with you, as we can exclusively reveal that Ratchet and Clank developer Insomiac's amazing looking PS3 shooter I-8 - and one of Sony's biggest PS3 titles - has been renamed. Prepare to meet ....(sound of drum roll) Resistance.

Exciting!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006, 07:13:20 PM »

Reports today indicate Sony denial of the September rumors.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2006, 07:28:08 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

CVG's very own deep throat went on to reveal further hot info on PlayStation 3 titles that will be actually be there and in the flesh at this year's E3, with an 'absolutely gorgeous looking' SOCOM 4 confirmed for the show and likely to be a PS3 launch title.

You want more PS3 loving? Well, you'll get it in the form of a newly confirmed PS3 God of War title, which we have to say has us salivating in utter delight because its PS2 debut was absolutely cracking - we can't wait to swing Kratos' chains in anger all over again on Sony's next-gen machine. God of War PS3 may not actually make it to E3, but is apparently well into development; and interestingly, both it and SOCOM 4 will also be appearing on PS2, underlining Sony's commitment to its favoured current-gen son for the next few years.

Finally, we've got one last nugget of PS3 goodness to share with you, as we can exclusively reveal that Ratchet and Clank developer Insomiac's amazing looking PS3 shooter I-8 - and one of Sony's biggest PS3 titles - has been renamed. Prepare to meet ....(sound of drum roll) Resistance.

Exciting!

Sure, but werent a lot of people pissing and moaning about early Xbox to Xbox 360 ports?  This sounds like the same thing with the new GoW and Socom 4.  Damn it, I just wish we could see the PS3 in action, then I could actually get excited for it.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2006, 07:36:56 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

Not even close.  Release date was announced as "holidays" at E3 and the actual November 22 release date wasn't even nailed down until September, maybe even early October (I remember the speculation was that MS was waiting until they knew when the software would be ready).  Price was announced in late August IIRC.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2006, 07:44:31 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

Exciting!

Sure, but werent a lot of people pissing and moaning about early Xbox to Xbox 360 ports?  This sounds like the same thing with the new GoW and Socom 4.  Damn it, I just wish we could see the PS3 in action, then I could actually get excited for it.

Shit, I totally missed the "will also be appearing on the PS2" part in that article.  Damnit!  Then again, it's not like you can compare GoW to Gun or Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, so I'm not that super ticked off.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2006, 08:07:36 PM »

1) Given the developers may not have final dev kits yet, and since the architecture is VASTLY different than any other common programming platform (seven segmented processor cores), what makes you think they *aren't* working on beefed up ports? PS2 is apparently supported, they could release emotion engine code on this platform and you wouldn't know the difference. Do you really think -any- company can churn out must-have titles on an unfamiliar platform at the word GO ? FTR. Halo was in development long before the Xbox was dreamed up, and since it was just a beefier PC config there was less to worry about.

2) I *DON'T* think they have the specs nailed down yet; Sony dropped their 1080p support just recently. I'm waiting to see what other "features" are dropped quietly to bring down cost/dev time.

I don't think the piper is going to deliver all they promised; Sony's pre-release strategy reeks like a polititians election campaign. I'll pre-order, but that might just go up for auction if I can't justify the cost with the games that come out.

3) Kevin, I believe you are correct. The SKUs and the details were Aug 23 (IIRC) and late Sept was when the street date was released... the whole"they better release before black friday" threads are bouncing around in my mind.

4) PS3 Online strategy : Follow the leader, and claim yours is better. Even if it's not. It's not like Sony has ever built a successful Online community. MS platform has always been geared to Live, even in it's infancy. We'll see where Sony goes with this. I'm sure the basics will be there; I have my reservations about it being "better" than the Live experience.

And NO, PLAYONLINE is NOT a successful implementation. (I believe SOE had a hand in that one.) MS clearly has a stronger history and the established infrastructure.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2006, 08:46:10 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

4) PS3 Online strategy : Follow the leader, and claim yours is better.

Isn't that pretty much the strategy of every company who creates something after someone else does?

Hell wasn't the Colgate toothpaste strategy to follow the leader (Crest) and claim theirs was better?

Who doesn't do that?  

The question is whether it will be better but that remains to be seen.  

As for the whole "Sony hasn't done it in the past" well MS hadn't created a console in the past but people seem to like what they did with the Xbox.  So it does seem possible for companies to branch into new areas. smile

warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2006, 09:13:11 PM »

Sony has quite a bit of familiarity with running online gaming.  Remember Everquest?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2006, 10:23:33 PM »

I love this picture.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2006, 10:47:56 PM »

Thats awesome!
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2006, 12:18:28 AM »

I just want to see this thing in action!  I cant wait to look at some actual games.  Why must they tease us so?

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2006, 12:21:07 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

The question is whether it will be better but that remains to be seen.  

After seeing this I wouldn't hold your breath.

GameSpot followed up on the story, and got the following reaction from a PS3 developer who claims to be in the know regarding HUB: "They [Sony management] don't understand it. They don't understand why it's important. They don't get what developers need to make it good. They're trying to adapt due to tons of inside pressure (there are, of course, many incredibly brilliant people in Sony who have been screaming about this stuff for about a decade), but essentially Microsoft is on the cutting edge of this stuff and Sony is like your grandmother who just got her first AOL account."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2006, 12:33:20 PM »

Sony has quite a bit of familiarity with running online gaming.  Remember Everquest?

That is SOE; running a MMORPG is a lot different than running a community based gaming service like Live, ::shudder:: gamespy, etc.

MS has had their failed attempts too; look at www.gamevoice.com ... Live is ultimately *NOT* a new product, but a culmination of MS's last 10 years online in a neatly wrapped package.

Just like the XBOX was MS's first attempt at something new and had many a bump and bruise; online game hosting will be Sony's cross to bear this go-round, and they'll need to step up to be beyond simply successful. They're already scaling back the overambitious targets of 1080p etc, etc... I don't think there is going to be a huge difference in performance at the end of the day.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2006, 09:44:41 PM »

2) I *DON'T* think they have the specs nailed down yet; Sony dropped their 1080p support just recently. I'm waiting to see what other "features" are dropped quietly to bring down cost/dev time.

Unless I missed something 1080p support wasn't dropped.  I believe you are referring to the dev reports a few weeks ago that most games are being developed for 720p native.  

If so, that just means that they are opting to maximize graphics vs resolution.  Just like on the PC, increasing the resolution takes more processing power.  They could develop for 1080p but with dev's relative inexperience with the hardware that probably means a visual compromise that they aren't willing to make.

The PS3 *supports* 1080p, however, should a dev choose to use it just as the Xbox 1 supported 720p though only a handful of games ever used it.  More specifically, I'm pretty sure the Bluray spec demands it, so Bluray movie playback should always be 1080p capable even if the games that support it are few and far between.  

There was some confusion over Sony's 1080p statement last year but I don't think anyone ever realistically expected all (or even most) PS3 games to support 1080p native due to the performance limitations.  Why compromise visuals for a miniscule portion of even the relative small HD market?  1080p probably won't be regularly supported in games until late in the PS3s lifespan, just as 480p is actually becoming pretty common on PS2 while it was virtually unheard of a few years ago.  

This is similar to the  360 which supports 1080i  yet  the vast majority of the games are 720p native and at least one (PGR3) actually renders internally at less than 720p and is upscaled after the fact.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2006, 11:17:14 PM »

I consider it fair game to point out press releases from the company.
Remember this one?

May 16, 2005

To match the accelerating convergence of digital consumer electronics and computer technology, PS3 supports high quality display in resolution of 1080p(*) as standard, which is far superior to 720p/1080i.

as a standard. ::cough:: Sorry, I'm just having a hard time with trusting Sony. This statement basically is fantasy, filled with lollipops and fairies. They did it to tout a more powerful product than their competition; a hollow statement at this point.

I highly doubt it coming out spring 2006 (did they NOT know their public dates?) .... that gives them until June 22, 2006 to get their product to market... A market, not necessarily North America. As Koei's Kenji Matsuhara, an exec for the Dynasty Warrior online game development strategy said during a speech at the Asia Online Game Conference 2006 in Tokyo: "Spring is being said, but it will likely be an extremely hot Spring."

From IGN:
Matsuhara stated that he's been asking for a hard disk to be included with the system as standard, but he's not sure what will happen. Despite the lack of solid details from Sony, though, he seems excited about the PS3, finishing off with, "I'm placing a lot of hope in it becoming a force in the spread of Online games."

I am not, in any way putting MS up on a pedastal of righteousness, but I *am* playing my 360 now. Microsoft screwed up with the 2nd SKU and shipping problems, they have their challenges.

[edit] I should also clarify when I said dropped, i meant dropped their standard resolution, not drop the support for it.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2006, 12:16:42 AM »

Does web browsing on a console really mean that much to you?

Absolutely. One of the main reasons why I got a PSP.

While I had my Xbox 360, I didn't have a PC, so I was stuck using the internet at libraries, family, and at hot spots with my PSP.
I think it's safe to say I woudn't have a PC now if the Xbox 360  could simply surf the net as the PS3 will. I ended up putting down 500 bucks on a low-end value system (compaq) just to surf the net. I would rather have put that $500 down on some more games, xbox live, and paying off another car payment.

So yeah, it really does mean that much to me.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2006, 12:22:08 AM »

I consider it fair game to point out press releases from the company.
Remember this one?

May 16, 2005

To match the accelerating convergence of digital consumer electronics and computer technology, PS3 supports high quality display in resolution of 1080p(*) as standard, which is far superior to 720p/1080i.

as a standard. ::cough:: Sorry, I'm just having a hard time with trusting Sony. This statement basically is fantasy, filled with lollipops and fairies. They did it to tout a more powerful product than their competition; a hollow statement at this point.

All that says is that it will support 1080p output out of the box. It says nothing about what resolution games will be rendered at. The 360 supports 1080i output as standard. The games are rendered at 720p and scaled to 1080i for display.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: