http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 03:49:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 system and software - straight up impressions thread  (Read 4242 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2006, 10:38:41 PM »

Been playing more of the PS3, talking to a lot of people about it.

The PS3 was a rush job, pure and simple. The only difference between it and the PS2 really is that the PS2 got lucky with its rush job :-p. I've seen Sega Saturn launches fare better than this.

From what I've been told from the developer community, the PS3 is like a nicely riced up Honda with an aggressive NOS. Beautiful for what it's supposed to go; go fast and go powerful. Problem is, doing anything fanciful with that power causes some serious issues.

With the Cell processor and nVidia's graphics chip, what developers ended up dealing with is something akin to programming the Sega Saturn's 9 individual processors to work in unison. Plus, like the PS2, the PS3 ends up wasting a lot of power right off the batt.

Eventually, developers will get the hang of it, and start harnessing all the power the PS3's hemmoraging, but with the difficulty of the development environment (Even Sony's internal R&D for the PS3 is scratching their heads at many of the graphical glitches and framerate issues), and the natural competitive nature of the industry when it comes to sharing code and development libraries, we're probably looking at at least 2 years before we start seeing a signifigant power jump between the 360 and the PS3, especially now that developers are starting get a grasp on the 360's hardware (Valve just recently managed to learn to influence the triple thread of the 360's processor).

Heck, some developers are even saying that the graphical capabilities of the 360 are way beyond the PS3's. Keep in mind this isn't about overall processing power, which the PS3 has 'a little more' of (as it's been said by a few developers), but the capabilities of ATI's chipset in the 360 and nVidia's chipset (an estimated 15-25% processing ability to ATI's Unified Shader arcitecture.)

But sincerely, when people are seeing games like Gears of War next to Resistance (GoW trumps it HARD), and even the same game on both the platforms (Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the XBox 360 stomps the PS3 version), Sony's going to have a long and painfully difficult road to keep it in everyone's mind that the PS3 is indeed the more powerful system, and that spending approx $100 to $300 more for one is worth their money. On top of that, game costs for the PS3 will in the long run be higher than their competitors, primarily because of the long development times and resources that will have to go into PS3 games. Because of this, much of the PS3's 'exclusives' will end up on the 'next best thing' after six months.

Bring in Nintendo playing cutthroat and just plain attempting to undercut Sony's next gen entry by saturating the market with the readily more available Wiis...

Sega Saturn launch... potential 3D0 lifespan.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 10:41:17 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2006, 11:42:51 PM »

I do believe that the 360 forced Sony's hand to a degree, but  I would hardly call the PS3 a rush job. The invested years and billions of dollars into the project. In the recent past I read two specific articles by developers that stated in this generation a majority of multi-platform games would be coded on the xbox 360 as their primary console, and then moved to the PS3. This would give the 360 a slight advantage in refinement, and be the exact opposite situation as the previous generation PS2/Xbox scenario. So, MS may have a small edge in certain aspects that will help it overcome the extra horsepower in the PS3.

I would also have to disagree that GoW looks significantly better than Resistance. While GoW does have the edge in detail and art direction, I think it is far from dramatic. Insomniac did a great job with that game, especially considering the fact that the FPS is not their natural strength. Epic has a home field advantage in the first and third person shooter arena, and Insomniac was still able to put out a game of similar quality.

I do agree that the PS3 has its work cut out for it.Nintendo and MS came out shooting.

[anecdote]The two people I know that own the PS3 are already somewhat disenfranchised with it. One has moved completely over to the Wii camp, and the second prefers the 360 controller and library- most notably Gears of War and Viva Pinata. Until the exclusive games start rolling in for the PS3, I anticipate this to be the slow wave of the immediate future.[/anecdote]
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 11:45:25 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2006, 11:55:35 PM »

[anecdote]The two people I know that own the PS3 are already somewhat disenfranchised with it. One has moved completely over to the Wii camp, and the second prefers the 360 controller and library- most notably Gears of War and Viva Pinata. Until the exclusive games start rolling in for the PS3, I anticipate this to be the slow wave of the immediate future.[/anecdote]

I'm not disenfranchised.  I'm surprised that Sony didn't launch with more, but I think back to the PS2 launch and it wasn't a great deal better.  Kessen?  Fantavision?  Bouncer?  Pssh...we can't count them out yet.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2006, 12:07:50 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 23, 2006, 11:55:35 PM

I'm not disenfranchised.  I'm surprised that Sony didn't launch with more, but I think back to the PS2 launch and it wasn't a great deal better.  Kessen?  Fantavision?  Bouncer?  Pssh...we can't count them out yet.

Very True Ron, but it is a lot different when you have two viable options now instead of a year as the king. PS2 was able to utilize that year to build a big base.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2006, 12:08:18 AM »

Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the XBox 360 stomps the PS3 version

icon_lol  icon_lol

Yeah, just like GoW DESTROYS Resistance....right?  icon_lol

1080p > 720p. Also the PS3 uses higher res textures and has extra particle effects that are not in the 360 version.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2006, 12:11:23 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 24, 2006, 12:07:50 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 23, 2006, 11:55:35 PM

Very True Ron, but it is a lot different when you have two viable options now instead of a year as the king. PS2 was able to utilize that year to build a big base.

In the same way that the 360 has used that time.  I think Sony is going to be in unfamiliar territory until they get a big system seller (FF? God of War 3? etc.) on to the system - last place.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2006, 12:41:21 AM »

The big Sony only games like DMC, Final Fantasy 13, Killzone, and perhaps Metal Gear will be major deciders.
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2006, 05:21:05 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 24, 2006, 12:08:18 AM

Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the XBox 360 stomps the PS3 version

icon_lol  icon_lol

Yeah, just like GoW DESTROYS Resistance....right?  icon_lol

1080p > 720p. Also the PS3 uses higher res textures and has extra particle effects that are not in the 360 version.

The PS3 version of Marvel stutters more for a reason.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2006, 06:25:19 AM »

Geez, some people are calling the race way too early. This thread is mildly amusing.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2006, 12:40:16 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 24, 2006, 12:41:21 AM

The big Sony only games like DMC, Final Fantasy 13, Killzone, and perhaps Metal Gear will be major deciders.

Final Fantasy 13 yes, Metal Gear solid probably. Killzone no, and DMC didn't make any real impact on selling PS2's and won't move PS3's. It's a solid but fairly dissapointing series that is fairly overrated in terms of it bringing gamers over. I personally think it will be the system that gets the 3 to 4 new series of games that are considered this generations next DMC, Ratchet and Clank, or Grand Theft Auto. One of these console makers is hoping to have the next big thing and whomever can secure a couple of them will have the best chance at being the market leader.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2006, 01:19:59 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 24, 2006, 06:25:19 AM

Geez, some people are calling the race way too early. This thread is mildly amusing.
Its not just mildly amusing. Its hilarious in its absolutely absurdity. The other two consoles have been out for one goddamn week. Take a damn deep breath people.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2006, 01:47:06 PM »

Heh. I'm not calling any races, but I do think the low number of PS3 units out thhere will help MS and Nintendo this holiday season.
Last year, there was no next-gen alternative if you wanted a 360. This year, folks shopping for a PS3 may just look at the 360s
existing library and go that direction instead. Bill gates said it himself, though. NEXT Christmas season is going to be a battleground.
We already know what 360's big hitter will be (Halo 3). Sony needs to figure out what they are going to counter with.

Meanwhile, the Wii remains a wildcard. Obviously there's demand for it, but what des that mean? Nintendo says they aren't fighting in the same market space, but you've got to think there's some overlap...the question is, how much? To what degree will Wii sales impact on the 360? Is it inexpensive enough and the markets different enough that the impact is minimal? Is the Wii going to grow the console market? If so, how will that impact the other companies?

I'm intrigued by third-party support for the Wii. How much will there be? There will be a fair share of stinker titles to be sure, but which studios will get it right? How will the apparent success of Madden for Wii impact the other EA Sports titles? Will there soon be a legion of people out there using their Wiimotes todribble up court and perform layups, jumpshots, and dunks?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2006, 03:28:19 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 24, 2006, 12:40:16 PM

I personally think it will be the system that gets the 3 to 4 new series of games that are considered this generations next DMC, Ratchet and Clank, or Grand Theft Auto. One of these console makers is hoping to have the next big thing and whomever can secure a couple of them will have the best chance at being the market leader.

Completely agree. The generation is going to be decided by either a new game in an existing series that breaks out far more than the series ever has (FF7, GTA3, MGS) or by a completely new IP that really captures everybody (Halo, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil).  Existing popular series that once served this function (GTA, Halo, FF, etc) are important for continuity of fanbase but aren't going to expand marketshare.  Someone who already loves Halo was probably planning on buying a 360 at some point anyway. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2006, 07:33:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 24, 2006, 03:28:19 PM

Completely agree. The generation is going to be decided by either a new game in an existing series that breaks out far more than the series ever has (FF7, GTA3, MGS) or by a completely new IP that really captures everybody (Halo, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil).

Kevin,

Would say GoW fits that description?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2006, 07:55:51 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 24, 2006, 07:33:16 PM

Completely agree. The generation is going to be decided by either a new game in an existing series that breaks out far more than the series ever has (FF7, GTA3, MGS) or by a completely new IP that really captures everybody (Halo, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil).

Kevin,

I'm not Kevin, but I would say it does. It's an amazing game.

I would also say that Resistance would as well. Both are great games and will spawn at least one more sequel.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2006, 08:01:54 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 24, 2006, 07:33:16 PM

Kevin,

Yes and no. 

Yes, in the sense that it's a new IP and an excellent game so that it definitely bolsters MS's lineup and makes going with them a stronger choice.

No, in the sense that for as highly polished and fun as it is, it isn't revolutionary and already appeals to the demographic that the Xbox already attracts.  In fact, I would say that Sony would have beneifited *more* from having the title on their system than Microsoft does. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2006, 08:08:38 PM »

Kevin,

I'm not Kevin either, but I do play him on TV, so I feel qualified to answer your question.

Gears of War will attract mostly the same crowd that bought Halo, so I doubt it will do much to increase Microsoft's audience. It would have been interesting if the title had been launched a few months ago, because then we could have seen if it was a true system seller. General holiday purchasing and the tight suppy on the Wii and PS3 will skew how much influence GoW actually has on hardware sales.

I do forecast this, however- the breakaway hit of this generation will come from a Western developer.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2006, 11:41:14 PM »

After finally spending some time with my PS3, I think that it will clearly be the superior gaming machine in 6 months or at the latest this time next year.  Right now, there's just not a lot to play on it...if you own a 360 that is.

But, after playing Resistance, Motorstorm, NBA 07, and the Formula One demos, I'm convinced that the next round of games for the PS3 are going to be phenomenal.  Also, owning both a Blu-ray drive and an HD-DVD drive, the Blu-ray clearly looks to be the winner in my opinion.  I was impressed with King Kong on the HD-DVD drive, but I was blown away by Talledega Nights and Ice Age 2 on Blu-ray. 

I love my 360 and I'm still mad at Sony for dropping their "entitlements" or whatever their version of achievements was called, but achievements or not, I might be buying everything that comes out for both systems on the PS3 in the spring.  Xbox Live is still the feather in Microsoft's cap, but if Sony ever gets their online act together (which I doubt they will), they can bury Microsoft.

All that being said, I am very impressed with my PS3 and look forward to the spring when some really good exclusives come out for it, namely MLB 07 The Show and Eye of Judgement
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2006, 01:48:04 AM »

Quote from: The_Man on November 24, 2006, 11:41:14 PM

But, after playing Resistance, Motorstorm, NBA 07, and the Formula One demos, I'm convinced that the next round of games for the PS3 are going to be phenomenal.  Also, owning both a Blu-ray drive and an HD-DVD drive, the Blu-ray clearly looks to be the winner in my opinion.  I was impressed with King Kong on the HD-DVD drive, but I was blown away by Talledega Nights and Ice Age 2 on Blu-ray. 

thumbsup

Same here. The potential on this sucker is really amazing. For a game as good as Resistance to come out at launch, just gives me chills to think about how good the games are going to be next year for it. Oh and I agree about Ice Age 2....it looks better than anything I have on HD-DVD.  :icon_eek:

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2006, 02:29:05 AM »

Can you elaborate on what impressed you about Blu-Ray?

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2006, 02:34:02 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 25, 2006, 02:29:05 AM

And in particular, can someone who's watched the same movie on both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray give a good indication of which format does better and why? Comparing different movies on different formats isn't exactly a great objective comparison.

I'm not picking up the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 or a Blu-Ray player unless I find out which one is the better format and will be successful.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2006, 03:02:35 AM »

The potential on this sucker is really amazing. For a game as good as Resistance to come out at launch, just gives me chills to think about how good the games are going to be next year for it.

Hetz, I agree that there are a few excellent looking games on the PS3, but I don't understand your awe at that fact just because they are release titles. The PS3 got pushed back by several months and developers weren't sitting on their hands during that time. They were refining their product. They did not have to meet the hyper-aggressive 360 launch. Also, by working on the 360 for so long, developers were able to take part of what they learned or created and transfer it to the Sony system. I would expect their product to look good because the next generation has been here for a year.

I also don't feel that Blu-Ray will make a significant difference in game quality. It will only mean the game will be on fewer discs. For the 360, this means that Blue Dragon is a 3 disc, 27Gb product as oppossed to 1  blu-ray disc.

I still maintain that the graphic difference between Sony and MS will be small, because in the end the PS3 is not that much more powerful (~10%). Cliffy B and John Carmack have already said as much, and I'm inclined to take their words at face value. It will all come down to the exclusive game libraries. This is why MS grabbed GTA, Assassin's Creed, and possibly MGS4. They are trying to pick away as many 3rd party exclusive games from Sony as possible, since they will get hammered to some extent by Sony's first party development. (which I consider to be the best of all three players)

When Bill Gates was on MSNBC he said that the competition with Sony was a long-term operation that would be, in part, a war of attrition. I don't think anyone outside of hardcore 360 fanboys expects Sony to be toppled in this generation. But MS will continue to close the gap, and the competition is good for all of us.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 03:04:57 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2006, 04:18:42 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 25, 2006, 02:29:05 AM

It was absolutely stunning...that's really all I can say.  The water, the fur on the animals...everything just looked so vivid and sharp.  Probably not a fair comparison between an animated movie and King Kong, but that is all I have to go on right now.  I'm hoping to find a good animated movie to watch on my 360 hd-dvd drive, to get a more objective comparison, but I can say that Talladega Nights looked quite a bit better than King Kong did as well. 

Out of all the people that bash the PS3, how many of them actually own one?  I almost didn't open mine and if the ebay market hadn't died so quickly, I probably wouldn't have, but now I am glad I did.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2006, 05:25:35 AM »

Got to play with my nephews PS3 for a bit on Thanksgiving.  I'm not impressed.  The system software is pretty far behind XBox Live.  It may improve, but Sony really sat on the PSP's basic functionality for a long time without many upgrades, so who knows how long before the PS3 becomes a bit more usable.  Setting up the online stuff with the built in Sony screen keypad was horrid too, just give the option of a normal keypad on screen!  Blast Factor or whatever the first arcade game wasn't nearly in Geometry Wars league either.  I saw numerous graphics glitches in Marvel Ultimate Alliance as well.

I did like some of the things though.  Reading about the PS3 shows it has potential, though I'm not sold it really will demonstrate it over the 360, and it has very far to go to catch up software wise.  The PS3 was very quiet which was cool.  I don't mind the size if the machine is quiet (though the PS3 is huge).  The 360 is to loud at times.

I didn't get to play Resistance, as its an M game unfortunately.  It is probably the one game I really would want to try.

Oh, the Sony controllers SUCK!  No vibration feature really hurts I think, as I like games that use it well.  The PS/PS2/PS3 design is also very old, and not nearly as comfortable as the 360 controllers.  Microsoft really nailed the 360 controller design.  So far, the SIXAXIS or whatever motion sensing features seems tacked on a bit.  On a plus, I do like the fact that the PS3 controller has better 'flippers' on the back, but still not as nice.  I chuckled though that the default control for the Formula One demo didn't use the flippers for gas/brakes though.

Anyway, pretty mixed on the PS3 in general.  In a year or two, when it has some great exclusive games, and its cheaper, I'll probably grab it.  But right now, it still needs some good software and polish.  I see the potential, but Microsoft is a bunch ahead still.

As far as blu-ray, it isn't a pull until one becomes dominant, then stand alone players will be cheap as well, probably better looking, and at least draw less power smile.

Anyway, the PS3 is a cool system, but not worth the $600 yet I don't think.  I'm surprised in thinking that one day it may be.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2006, 05:43:13 AM »

Oh, the Sony controllers SUCK!  No vibration feature really hurts I think, as I like games that use it well.  The PS/PS2/PS3 design is also very old, and not nearly as comfortable as the 360 controllers.  Microsoft really nailed the 360 controller design.

I really like the staggered positioning of the analog sticks on the MS controller. It feels much more comfortable during long gaming marathons. I wish Sony or a third party company would create that type of design for the PS2/PS3.

Remember the very first Xbox controller? That design was horrific.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2006, 03:12:56 PM »

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/11/24/6078

More PS3 scaling information.  Doesn't look too good.  Doesn't look like it's gonna be a firmware fixable issue.  You know what I think the big issue is with the PS3?  I think Sony used their big console name to essentially, try and launch Blu-Ray into the winning standard.  I mean between the scaling issues and the fact that it doesn't even include Hi-Def cables when you buy it...Well I don't know it just sucks for people that bought it to actually game with.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2006, 03:27:08 PM »

I really like the staggered positioning of the analog sticks on the MS controller. It feels much more comfortable during long gaming marathons. I wish Sony or a third party company would create that type of design for the PS2/PS3.
Exactly.  The first XBox controller was horrible.  The S controller fixed a lot of issues, and the 360 controller is perfect I think.  I really wanted Sony to upgrade their controller more for the PS3 but they didn't.  Dropping vibration support is really a step down.  It adds to the games just like good sound and graphics if done well.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2006, 03:47:20 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on November 25, 2006, 03:12:56 PM

More PS3 scaling information.  Doesn't look too good.  Doesn't look like it's gonna be a firmware fixable issue.  You know what I think the big issue is with the PS3?  I think Sony used their big console name to essentially, try and launch Blu-Ray into the winning standard.  I mean between the scaling issues and the fact that it doesn't even include Hi-Def cables when you buy it...Well I don't know it just sucks for people that bought it to actually game with.

wow.... luckily they're having production issues so maybe we'll see 2nd gen PS3's that fix this problem alot quicker (if it can't be fixed via an update).

Quote from: The Article
We've joked about beta-testing the PS3 hardware, but it keeps getting less and less funny.
icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol
(although I bet if certain peoples PS3's fail we'll never hear about it  :slywink:)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2006, 04:06:22 PM »

(although I bet if certain peoples PS3's fail we'll never hear about it  :slywink:)

If mine fails you won't need to read it on this board...you'll be able to hear me screaming. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2006, 05:02:41 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 25, 2006, 04:06:22 PM

If mine fails you won't need to read it on this board...you'll be able to hear me screaming. smile

Just like the 5 or 6 PS2's that failed on you?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2006, 02:36:36 PM »

Sony had to know about the scaling issue at launch.  My guess is that if it were fixable via firmware update the launch update would have fixed it.  Am I correct in assuming that if a game is 1080p and my TV doesn't support 1080p I would be playing in 480p?  If so I wonder how many game publishers will be scared away from making games in 1080p due to this issue. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2006, 02:44:04 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 26, 2006, 02:36:36 PM

Sony had to know about the scaling issue at launch.  My guess is that if it were fixable via firmware update the launch update would have fixed it.  Am I correct in assuming that if a game is 1080p and my TV doesn't support 1080p I would be playing in 480p?  If so I wonder how many game publishers will be scared away from making games in 1080p due to this issue. 

No, it will downscale to 720p, not 480p. The major issue seems to be with TV's that don't support 720p at all. The problem is when you have a TV that won't do 720p no matter what, only 1080i. The PS3 won't convert anything to 1080i. It converts to only 480p, 720p or 1080p. If the game is native 1080i, than no problem....but if the game is 1080p or 720p and you have a 1080i only HDTV, you are out of luck.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2006, 06:24:10 PM »

some of the games released at launch say they support only 1080p - do those get scaled to 720p as well if someone is lacking 1080p support?
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2006, 06:26:14 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 26, 2006, 02:44:04 PM

No, it will downscale to 720p, not 480p

ok, so you did confirm this?  I hadn't seen any follow-up on this specific issue yet
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2006, 08:27:29 PM »

So, I just got back from a PS3 party my friend hosted in his home theater and overall I came away unimpressed with the console and it's launch line-up. We already knew it was a crummy line-up of games, and I'm sorry but Resistance is not a killer-app by any means of the definition. Granted, I didn't play it for more than half an hour at the most, but it was lacking in SO many areas. Graphically, the game is a dud. Half-Life 2 looks better than this! The physics engine is crap, you shoot objects and they don't move. Then there's the combat mechanics themselves which are quite simple and felt constricted. Older games are outshining Resistance. It's possible that the game may be good overall, again I only played it for about half an hour. Regardless, it looks and feels like a PS2/Xbox game to me. Not what I expect from a $600 machine.

Wow! You are right! Just take a look at these shots.....what a dud this is graphically!  eek

Roll Eyes

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2006, 08:29:28 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 26, 2006, 06:26:14 PM

Quote from: Hetz on November 26, 2006, 02:44:04 PM

No, it will downscale to 720p, not 480p

ok, so you did confirm this?  I hadn't seen any follow-up on this specific issue yet

Yes, it will convert 1080p to 720p. I have confirmed this with NBA 2k7.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2006, 09:02:23 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on November 26, 2006, 06:24:10 PM

some of the games released at launch say they support only 1080p - do those get scaled to 720p as well if someone is lacking 1080p support?

I was going to ask this same question. I believe NBA 07 and Marvel are 1080p only...but not sure. Hetz can you comment specifically on your experiences with a game listed only as 1080p (not sure if 2k7 is in that category)?

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2006, 09:06:02 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 26, 2006, 08:29:28 PM

I don't have an HDTV so pardon me if the answer is obvious, but how do you know what resolution the game is running in and is actually being displayed on the TV?  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2006, 10:57:29 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 26, 2006, 09:06:02 PM

I don't have an HDTV so pardon me if the answer is obvious, but how do you know what resolution the game is running in and is actually being displayed on the TV? 

Depends on the TV, but many will momentarily display the current resolution on screen when a switch is made. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2006, 11:20:24 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 26, 2006, 09:06:02 PM

any HDTV should have that info with the push of a button somewhere, either on the remote or the TV itself

or as Kevin Grey said, when you first change to a specific input and it gets fed a source
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: