http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 04:06:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 system and software - straight up impressions thread  (Read 4251 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2006, 11:16:31 AM »

Please, let's leave the fanboy and scalper-hating debates out of this one and give our impressions on the system and software. Unfortunately, I have to start it off on a negative note.

So, I just got back from a PS3 party my friend hosted in his home theater and overall I came away unimpressed with the console and it's launch line-up. We already knew it was a crummy line-up of games, and I'm sorry but Resistance is not a killer-app by any means of the definition. Granted, I didn't play it for more than half an hour at the most, but it was lacking in SO many areas. Graphically, the game is a dud. Half-Life 2 looks better than this! The physics engine is crap, you shoot objects and they don't move. Then there's the combat mechanics themselves which are quite simple and felt constricted. Older games are outshining Resistance. It's possible that the game may be good overall, again I only played it for about half an hour. Regardless, it looks and feels like a PS2/Xbox game to me. Not what I expect from a $600 machine.

As for the console unit itself: Big, heavy, non-convenient. Seriously, that thing is huge and oddly shaped. Shitty design. If the PS2 was a toaster, then the PS3 is an outdoor grill. As for the controllers, a direct copy of the PS2 controllers except the R1 and R2 buttons are like a button/trigger hybrid. The controllers are still too small. I do like the motion sensor thing though, I think it could be awesome in some games. The loss of rumble capability will be felt though.

The remainder of the launch titles left me wanting more. Ridge Racer 7 has amazing draw distance, but the car models are boring and really it's just nothing above average. NBA 07's character models and animation are astounding at times, and surprisingly average at others. Marvel Ultimate Alliance needs an increase in resolution, and while playing with four players the frame rate was iffy.

Played a Blu-Ray movie, Talladega(sp?) Nights, I liked the clearer image but come on, is this really the jump from standard to high-definition movies?

The user interface itself is sleek... that's all I have to say about that. I didn't see much of an integration of the PS Online network (or whatever they are dubbing it) as with the 360.

On the bright side, I anticipate that the system will realy begin to shine in 1-2 years, I know Sony packed a lot of horse-power under the hood of the PS3 so I look forward to later generations of games. As for now, it's a lemon in my eyes.

*The system was hooked up to a 56" Sony HDTV with HDMI output, incase some of you think I might have been playing this on an SDTV or something.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 11:20:08 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 11:41:34 AM »

Marvel Ultimate Alliance needs an increase in resolution

Umm....it runs in 1080p, what more do you want?

Anyway, I completely disagree with you. Are you sure that his TV could handle the resolutions? Remember, if your TV doesn't support 720p, it will downrez the game to 480p. Many older Sony HDTV's don't support 720p.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 11:51:01 AM »

"The loss of rumble capability will be felt though."
How ironic  icon_biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 01:58:32 PM »

Hetz you mentioned in the other game that you thought Resistance was a great game.  Care to elaborate on that here?
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 02:29:10 PM »

Does anyone know if there will be a vga cable like the xbox360 so that you can hook it up to a computer lcd?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 07:09:21 PM »

Anyway, I completely disagree with you. Are you sure that his TV could handle the resolutions? Remember, if your TV doesn't support 720p, it will downrez the game to 480p. Many older Sony HDTV's don't support 720p

The TV supports up to 1080i, I believe. Regardless, when I looked at Ultimate Alliance I kept thinking it needed a higher resolution. I guess the textures are just blurry or something. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 07:11:55 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 07:15:18 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 18, 2006, 07:09:21 PM

Regardless, it looks low-res.

:icon_confused:

Alright....1920x1080 isn't exactly low res....but whatever. Was your friends TV 1080p capable? If not, it might have been in 480p....which would explain quite a bit of your original post. I've run both the 360 version and the PS3 version of the game right after each other to compare.

PS3 Version:
+ Better Textures
+ Better/More Particle Effects
+ Good use of the Sixaxis Control
+ 1080p
- Framerate is not as good as the 360

XBox 360:
+ Better framerate than PS3
+ Achievements
- Doesn't look as good as the PS3 version
- Only 720p

It sounds like your friends TV is only 1080i capable, not 720p or 1080p. If that is the case....there are issues with 1080i sets right now with the PS3. It will downres any game that is 720p or 1080p to 480p if your TV doesn't support the exact video output of the game....in the case of Marvel, that would be 1080p. So, if your friends TV doesn't support 1080p, he would get bumped down to 480p....which explains everything. Sony hopefully will fix this, cause not many people have 1080p TV's yet.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 07:18:18 PM by Hetz » Logged

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 07:23:15 PM »

I got a chance to play Resistance at my friend's house yesterday, since I don't have a Hetz-type budget to buy my own system.

I think this game would have been much better if I had not played Gears of War first. There is no doubt that it is an excellent title, but it lacks the visual punch and hyper-visceral feel that was accomplished by Epic in GoW. This went completely against what I expected, because usually PFS are much more immersive. Also, the story is poorly delivered and lands just above being mediocre. The AI, as is par for the course today, ranges from brilliant to moronic. For example, one enemy just kept running into a wall while I shot at him. Despite that minor fluke, there are many shining moments in the game, and overall the Chimerans are a memorable nemesis. This game is getting high scores not because of its storytelling or technical achievements, but rather because it has excellent pacing and it creates a wonderful mood outside of the standard WW2 shooter.

The actual exterior design of the PS3 is godawful. I find the Wii to be the most aesthetically pleasing of the new consoles, with the xbox falling into 2nd place. The PS3 is just too heavy, too bulky, and the domed top makes it look like a George Foreman grill. I do love the fact that it is super quite and **BLACK**, as white clashes with every other piece of electronics in my living room.

Short answer: After playing two games on the PS3, the console is definitely not worth $600 at this point in time. The money is better spent on a Wii and Zelda, coupled with an Xbox 360 and GoW or Viva Pinata.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 07:27:36 PM »

Well, that explains Marvel Ultimate Alliance I suppose. What about all the other games?  :icon_confused: I'm not sure if the TV doesn't support 720P though, I'll have to ask him. Thanks for mentioning the better framerate on the 360 version though, I'll be sure to stick to that one since apparently it's the better version.

Sean Lama
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 07:29:35 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 18, 2006, 11:16:31 AM

So, I just got back from a PS3 party my friend hosted in his home theater and overall I came away unimpressed with the console and it's launch line-up. We already knew it was a crummy line-up of games, and I'm sorry but Resistance is not a killer-app by any means of the definition. Granted, I didn't play it for more than half an hour at the most, but it was lacking in SO many areas. Graphically, the game is a dud. Half-Life 2 looks better than this! The physics engine is crap, you shoot objects and they don't move. Then there's the combat mechanics themselves which are quite simple and felt constricted. Older games are outshining Resistance. It's possible that the game may be good overall, again I only played it for about half an hour. Regardless, it looks and feels like a PS2/Xbox game to me

dude, I seriously call bullshit on this.  Resistance looks exactly like a PS2 game?  f'in BS

as Hetz mentioned, are you absolutely positive the game was not running in 480p?  cause if it was, then yeah it'll look like shit compared to 360 games.  do you and your friend know about the PS3 downscaling issue with 1080i-only HDTVs?  everyone should have heard of that by now, it's all over the net...so make sure your friend's TV is a 720p one and not a 1080i-only one.  and make sure yall understand the downscaling/upscaling issue exactly
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 18, 2006, 07:15:18 PM

It sounds like your friends TV is only 1080i capable, not 720p or 1080p. If that is the case....there are issues with 1080i sets right now with the PS3. It will downres any game that is 720p or 1080p to 480p if your TV doesn't support the exact video output of the game....in the case of Marvel, that would be 1080p. So, if your friends TV doesn't support 1080p, he would get bumped down to 480p....which explains everything. Sony hopefully will fix this, cause not many people have 1080p TV's yet.

hetz, are you absolutely sure that's how Marvel Ultimate Alliance works with regards to it going directly from 1080p to 480p on non-1080p HDTVs?  the issue with Resistance makes sense because a game would require more horsepower to render a higher rez in 1080i compared to 720p, but I don't see why a game that already runs in 1080p can't natively run in 720p
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 07:35:08 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 18, 2006, 07:23:15 PM

Short answer: After playing two games on the PS3, the console is definitely not worth $600 at this point in time. The money is better spent on a Wii and Zelda

have you personally played Zelda extensively?  if not, how would you know this
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 07:37:24 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 18, 2006, 07:33:00 PM

hetz, are you absolutely sure that's how Marvel Ultimate Alliance works with regards to it going directly from 1080p to 480p on non-1080p HDTVs?  the issue with Resistance makes sense because a game would require more horsepower to render a higher rez in 1080i compared to 720p, but I don't see why a game that already runs in 1080p can't natively run in 720p

It is how the system works right now.  If your TV doesn't display the required resolution it downscales to 480p.  Resistance only runs in 720p, no upscaling possible, if your TV doesn't do 720P, then it is 480P for you.  NBA 2K7 is 1080P only, if you don't have 1080P, hello ugly ass 480P.  Then again who am I kiiding, I have a standard def TV, not HDTV.  I would be curious to hear how the PS3 looks on a standard def TV compared to a 360 on a standard def TV.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 07:43:58 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 18, 2006, 07:37:24 PM

It is how the system works right now.  If your TV doesn't display the required resolution it downscales to 480p.  Resistance only runs in 720p, no upscaling possible, if your TV doesn't do 720P, then it is 480P for you.  NBA 2K7 is 1080P only, if you don't have 1080P, hello ugly ass 480P

if that is how it truly works, then that is seriously retarded.  if it knows how to go down to 480p, why can't it go down to 720p?  it should just be like changing computer resolutions.  at least the problem with going upwards is *kind of* understandable
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 07:45:51 PM »

well thats alot of positives....

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 07:47:37 PM »

dude, I seriously call bullshit on this.  Resistance looks exactly like a PS2 game?  f'in BS

Call it whatever you want, the notions were unanimous to all of us playing the game. All I know is that we had the system set to 1080i, I really don't give a fuck about all the technical explanations as to why the games aren't looking good. We set the system to the TV's native resolution, popped in the games, and played. There shouldn't need to be any "tinkering" beyond that. Also, I highly doubt, even if the games were scaled down to 480p, that my opinions would be so different. A game either looks good or it doesn't, Resistance doesn't look good, it should have been released last generation.

Sean Lama
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 07:51:06 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 18, 2006, 07:29:35 PM

Quote from: Ridah on November 18, 2006, 11:16:31 AM

So, I just got back from a PS3 party my friend hosted in his home theater and overall I came away unimpressed with the console and it's launch line-up. We already knew it was a crummy line-up of games, and I'm sorry but Resistance is not a killer-app by any means of the definition. Granted, I didn't play it for more than half an hour at the most, but it was lacking in SO many areas. Graphically, the game is a dud. Half-Life 2 looks better than this! The physics engine is crap, you shoot objects and they don't move. Then there's the combat mechanics themselves which are quite simple and felt constricted. Older games are outshining Resistance. It's possible that the game may be good overall, again I only played it for about half an hour. Regardless, it looks and feels like a PS2/Xbox game to me

dude, I seriously call bullshit on this.  Resistance looks exactly like a PS2 game?  f'in BS

as Hetz mentioned, are you absolutely positive the game was not running in 480p?  cause if it was, then yeah it'll look like shit compared to 360 games.  do you and your friend know about the PS3 downscaling issue with 1080i-only HDTVs?  everyone should have heard of that by now, it's all over the net...so make sure your friend's TV is a 720p one and not a 1080i-only one.  and make sure yall understand the downscaling/upscaling issue exactly

There are many HDTV's that only support 1080i (mine is one of them) and the fact that the PS3 cannot upscale 720p to 1080i is a big shortcoming.  Why should he make sure his friends TV supports 720p before reporting that Resistance looks like a PS2 game?  He was there, it is a HDTV and yes it probably downscaled to 480p but that is the PS3 fault and as such I feel his opinion is valid and the game perhaps didn't shine under those conditons.  The console is flawed if it can't do what many lower cost electronic items do every day.  Still awaiting Sony's offical response to this issue.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 07:55:09 PM »

If you have a set like that, make sure the games you buy support 1080i, because many of them don't.
Hopefully we'll find out soon if this is something that can/will be fixed.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 08:04:42 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 18, 2006, 07:47:37 PM

Call it whatever you want, the notions were unanimous to all of us playing the game. All I know is that we had the system set to 1080i, I really don't give a fuck about all the technical explanations as to why the games aren't looking good. We set the system to the TV's native resolution, popped in the games, and played. There shouldn't need to be any "tinkering" beyond that. Also, I highly doubt, even if the games were scaled down to 480p, that my opinions would be so different. A game either looks good or it doesn't

lol, that's not true at all.  I've seen plenty of 360 games played on SDTVs and they look a *lot* worse than on my HDTV, that's for damn sure.  as for you not giving a 'fuck', whose fault is that?  the issue has been reported all over the net

Quote from: Zinfan
There are many HDTV's that only support 1080i (mine is one of them) and the fact that the PS3 cannot upscale 720p to 1080i is a big shortcoming.  Why should he make sure his friends TV supports 720p before reporting that Resistance looks like a PS2 game?  He was there, it is a HDTV and yes it probably downscaled to 480p but that is the PS3 fault and as such I feel his opinion is valid and the game perhaps didn't shine under those conditons.

you're right... it's the *PS3's* fault!  not Resistance, like Ridah wants to say

take this completely hypothetical example, you've got a HDTV and you're trying to watch a HD channel/program...let's say Discovery HD.  if it hypothetically had the same issue as this PS3 problem, as in the show is broadcast in 720p but for some reason your cable/satellite box can't upscale it to your 1080i-only HDTV and therefore you're stuck watching it in 480i/480p, who are you going to blame?  Discovery HD?  lol
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 08:08:31 PM »

have you personally played Zelda extensively?  if not, how would you know this?

Based upon the sceenshots, videos, and past history of  other Zelda games. Plus, I doubt that Gamespot, IGN, Yahoo! Games, Game Informer, GamersMark, Gamerz Edge, 1UP, Gamespy and others ALL got it wrong.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 08:14:26 PM »

I honestly don't think Resistance scaled down as low as 480p when I played it, I'm almost certain (guess i'll have to confirm it to back up my arguements) the TV at least supports 720p. It wasn't a resolution problem with Resistance, it was an crappy-looking game problem. Still, if the game was scaled to 480p, that doesn't solve the flat physics and gameplay mechanics problem.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 08:17:48 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 08:18:53 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 18, 2006, 08:08:31 PM

Based upon the sceenshots, videos, and past history of  other Zelda games. Plus, I doubt that Gamespot, IGN, Yahoo! Games, Game Informer, GamersMark, Gamerz Edge, 1UP, Gamespy and others ALL got it wrong.

just sayin, I respect your opinions about Resistance, Gears of War, and Viva Pinata since you've actually played them, but I don't give the same weight to opinions when you haven't

just to play devil's advocate, Resistance got 86, 9.1, and 9.5 from Gamespot, IGN, and GI respectively, which isn't that far off from what those three gave Zelda.  and yet when you played Resistance yourself, you didn't think it was that great.  see what I'm sayin?
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 08:21:13 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 18, 2006, 08:14:26 PM

Still, if the game was scaled to 480p, that doesn't solve the flat physics and gameplay mechanics problem.

true that, but I didn't refute those statements of yours, just the one where you said Resistance looks like shit and exactly like a PS2 game
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 08:21:32 PM »

Gentlemen, please...I think we can all agree that many things out there can look like ass even on HDTV, but just wait until porno hits 1080p and we all get to see nasty ass in high-def. You will all rue the day, gentlemen....You'll be WISHING your players downscaled to 480p. Maybe Sony is just looking out for our best interests.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 08:23:26 PM »

just sayin, I respect your opinions about Resistance, Gears of War, and Viva Pinata since you've actually played them, but I don't give the same weight to opinions when you haven't

just to play devil's advocate, Resistance got 86, 9.1, and 9.5 from Gamespot, IGN, and GI respectively, which isn't that far off from what those three gave Zelda.  and yet when you played Resistance yourself, you didn't think it was that great.  see what I'm sayin?

Granted. thumbsup For the record, I would give Resistance about an 85%. It IS a good game, but just not as good as I expected.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2006, 08:56:28 PM »

I can kind of understand the 720 thing, but if Sony is shipping games that downgrade unless you have 1080p they are seriously fucked up.  How stupid do you have to be to tell 95% of the HDTV owners out there that they can't get HD images because your game only supports one of the three HD standards and the least common at that?

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2006, 08:57:53 PM »

I simply said Resistance looks and feels like a PS2/Xbox game, which may have been a bit extreme, but I was only making a point.

In end, we all know that the PS3 is far from doomed, it will sell a ton of units throughout 2007, and I'm sure we'll begin to see some titles that actually utilize the PS3's power in a year.

Sean Lama
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2006, 09:28:33 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 18, 2006, 07:33:00 PM

No, I'm not cause mine supports 1080p, so I can't test if it will downrez to 720p or not.....hmm, maybe I can force it to use 720p instead and see if it works. I'll test it out.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2006, 09:30:35 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 18, 2006, 08:57:53 PM

I simply said Resistance looks and feels like a PS2/Xbox game, which may have been a bit extreme, but I was only making a point.

In end, we all know that the PS3 is far from doomed, it will sell a ton of units throughout 2007, and I'm sure we'll begin to see some titles that actually utilize the PS3's power in a year.

We'll see.  The Ebay market seems to be falling towards MSRP rather quickly which raises the question of exactly how many people are willing to pay $500-$600 for a video game system with only one unique title.  Initial demand was probably driven as much by speculators as it was by people who actually want to play the games.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2006, 09:32:30 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on November 18, 2006, 08:56:28 PM

I can kind of understand the 720 thing, but if Sony is shipping games that downgrade unless you have 1080p they are seriously fucked up.  How stupid do you have to be to tell 95% of the HDTV owners out there that they can't get HD images because your game only supports one of the three HD standards and the least common at that?

Well that is exactly what they are doing.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2006, 10:02:04 PM »

How do you verify what resolution the tv is at or playing the games at?
Is it controlled through the PS or the tv?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2006, 10:45:30 PM »

Call it whatever you want, the notions were unanimous to all of us playing the game. All I know is that we had the system set to 1080i

If you had the system set to 1080i then you were almost certainly playing Resistance in 480p.

As I understand it, if you set the PS3 to 1080i and the game is encoded 720p only (which Resistance is), then it will automatically downscale it to 480p.  If your buddy's TV supports 720p, then he needs to set 720p as the PS3 output in order to get Resistance to play in 720p. 

Yes, it's all kinds of fucked up. 
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2006, 10:48:44 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 18, 2006, 10:45:30 PM

Call it whatever you want, the notions were unanimous to all of us playing the game. All I know is that we had the system set to 1080i

If you had the system set to 1080i then you were almost certainly playing Resistance in 480p.

As I understand it, if you set the PS3 to 1080i and the game is encoded 720p only (which Resistance is), then it will automatically downscale it to 480p.  If your buddy's TV supports 720p, then he needs to set 720p as the PS3 output in order to get Resistance to play in 720p. 

Yes, it's all kinds of fucked up. 

Yeah, it is very fucked up. It must be a bug with the 1080i setting, cause I have mine set to 1080p and it has no problems switching down to 720p for Resistance. I don't have to go back to the menu and set it for 720p before I play it.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2006, 11:50:15 PM »

It's gonna suck for Sony if PS3 lack of auto-scaling vs the 360 automagic scaling, hurts them with the "I have an HDTV, but don't really know how it all works" crowd.

On a side note, at my local Best Buy the PS3 kiosk is hooked up to a 720p LCD monitor and looks awesome. The 360 kiosk is hooked up to a widescreen 480p monitor and looks like crap in comparison.  If I were Microsoft, I'd be pissed.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2006, 12:39:44 AM »

I saw some PS3 game boxes at TRU today.  They were small, though, only a little bigger than the DVD disc would be.  Were these just for display or are the actual boxes small?  I always figured they'd be the same size as the PS2 boxes.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2006, 01:44:17 AM »

Nope, all hd disc formats are coming in those slightly undersized boxes.  However, the PS3 ones are that semi-transparent plastic, which has always looked really cheap to me.  They also use it for the PSP cases, but for those, the artwork covers most of the plastic.  The PS3 label leaves a lot more of it exposed, and I think it looks awful.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2006, 03:10:30 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 19, 2006, 01:44:17 AM

Nope, all hd disc formats are coming in those slightly undersized boxes.  However, the PS3 ones are that semi-transparent plastic, which has always looked really cheap to me.  They also use it for the PSP cases, but for those, the artwork covers most of the plastic.  The PS3 label leaves a lot more of it exposed, and I think it looks awful.

Phew! Fortunately I caught that in time because I base all my movie and  console purchases based on what the case looks like!  Roll Eyes
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2006, 05:10:55 PM »

Was at Target last night and played a little bit of the Motorstorm demo. I think the gameplay has some potential but I think they really need to do some polishing before release. The framerate was quite inconsistent. The textures looked weird in some spots. Sometimes when you crashed or went off course it would place you ahead of the vehicles you were racing against.

Oh, and loss of the rumble feature really bothered me in this game. I definitely missed it.

LiveTAG: happydog
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2006, 05:51:18 PM »

Quote from: happydog on November 19, 2006, 05:10:55 PM

Was at Target last night and played a little bit of the Motorstorm demo. I think the gameplay has some potential but I think they really need to do some polishing before release. The framerate was quite inconsistent. The textures looked weird in some spots. Sometimes when you crashed or went off course it would place you ahead of the vehicles you were racing against.

Oh, and loss of the rumble feature really bothered me in this game. I definitely missed it.

I'm pretty sure that it's an old demo.  Impressions of recent builds from the press have been a lot more positive than impressions from demo units and I've also read of people very impressed with the demo available via download from the PS3 marketplace equivalent. 
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2006, 07:10:26 PM »

I do not have impressions to offer, but would like to share this article I found on NYTimes.com.

Sadly for Sony, the best way to explain how the PlayStation 3 falls short is to explain how different it is to use than its main competition, Xbox 360. When I reviewed the 360 last year, I wrote: “Twelve minutes after opening the box, I had created my nickname, was in a game of Quake 4 and thought, ‘This can’t be this easy.’ ”

I never felt that way using the PlayStation 3. With the PS3, 12 minutes after opening the box I realized that Sony inexplicably does not include cables to connect the machine to a high-definition television. Keep in mind that one of Sony’s main selling points has been that the PS3 plays Blu-Ray high-definition movie discs. But high-definiton cables? Sold separately. The Xbox 360, by contrast, ships with one cable that can connect to either a standard or high-definition set.

Btw, that downgrading to 480p thing, if true, is seriously fucked up.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: