http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 01:32:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 suddenly won't work after DVR goes wacko  (Read 1754 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2007, 03:30:41 PM »

To make a long story short, i just got a message from Cox cable that my Scientific Atlanta DVR box won't use HDMI anymore and i gotta go the component route. So i connect component for now.

However, all of a sudden my PS3 won't show up on my other HDMI ouput. I've doubled checked the connections and it is all connected ok. I see the lights on the PS3 working ok, so there isn't a hardware issue there.

Everything was working fine up until then, but now i can't get a picture. Don't know if it is a coincidence, but it was fine before the DVR incident.

Anything i'm missing on getting it to work again? I'd like to have my Blu Ray for tonight.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 03:32:36 PM »

Try resetting the video settings on PS3- to do that, with the PS3 off, hold down the on button on the console for at least five seconds. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 03:35:16 PM »

slightly off yet on topic, did they say why the DVR wouldn't use HDMI anymore?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »

Did you try plugging the PS3 into the other HDMI slot?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:45:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay
slightly off yet on topic, did they say why the DVR wouldn't use HDMI anymore?

I'm very curious about this, too.  What did they do...upload a firmware update to disable the HDMI port?

-Autistic Angel
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 03:59:19 PM »

as far as the DVR goes, they told me that it won't be supported by HDMI anymore and my only choice is component.   Cox customer support told me that HDMI is being phased out and wouldn't be supported any longer.

i tried the video reset Kevin and that did not work.   also tried the other HDMI and that won't work either.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 04:07:26 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 27, 2007, 03:59:19 PM

as far as the DVR goes, they told me that it won't be supported by HDMI anymore and my only choice is component.   Cox customer support told me that HDMI is being phased out and wouldn't be supported any longer.

i tried the video reset Kevin and that did not work.   also tried the other HDMI and that won't work either.

Try hooking it up with the composite cables that it came with.  Assuming you can get an image there, try to reselect HDMI input from the PS3 video menu. 
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 04:29:33 PM »

well i hooked up the composite and when i reset it, it did ask if i wanted HDMI since it detected it.   i said yes and when i put it to HDMI, the screen is still blank.

not sure what else to do.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 04:42:08 PM »

Unplug your TV, wait about 30 seconds and plug it back in. Your PS3 may have trouble handshaking with the TV, especially if a different device was previously connected to the port.

It's a long shot, but it can't hurt to try.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 04:46:43 PM »

I think it is probably an issue with your TV.  Is there a way to reset the TV to factory specs?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 06:42:48 PM »

I have your solution!  It has to do with bad HDMI handshakes and devices not properly updating them.

First, hook up your composite or component cables, but keep the HDMI still connected too.

Then do the 5 second reset when you power on to get the display going through one of those other cables.

Do not choose go to HDMI.

Instead, go to your system menu and look for an option to "Restore default settings", avoid reformatting or anything like that.  All that "Restore default settings" does is reset all the PS3s menu settings back to default, your profiles, games, etc... are fine.

Now, turn off your console, unplug everything except hdmi.  Also turn off your TV after setting it to the correct HDMI channel.

Do the 5 second reset when you power on the PS3, making sure you turn on your TV at the same.

Your TV should now display via HDMI, at least that's what worked for me.

Something happened and your HDMI handshake on your TV got corrupted.  Meanwhile the PS3 was still using the same handshake information from before.  So the PS3 thought it was still connecting via HDMI, but the TV wasn't accepting the signal because it didn't have the correct signature.  Doing the restore all settings somehow resets the HDMI info in the PS3 and makes it ask for a new handshake with the TV.

By the way, is yout TV a Vizio, I hear certain brands and older models have this problem.  It's caused by many things, including completely powering off the TV and PS3 for a long time.  It's weird, and you can blame it on stupid copy protection schemes for your trouble.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 10:00:47 PM »

Turtle, that worked!!

as far as the DVR situation, here is what happened......

i was watching HDTV this morning when all of a sudden i get a black screen that says HDMI is not supported by my DVR and i need to plug it up via component. so i call Cox and the rep tell me that the SA DVR got a software upgrade and they'll no longer be supporting HDMI. i then hooked it up to component and it looks relatively the same.   gotta work tonight, but i'm gonna look more into what i was told this weekend.   first i've ever heard of this.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 10:12:45 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 27, 2007, 10:00:47 PM

Turtle, that worked!!

as far as the DVR situation, here is what happened......

i was watching HDTV this morning when all of a sudden i get a black screen that says HDMI is not supported by my DVR and i need to plug it up via component. so i call Cox and the rep tell me that the SA DVR got a software upgrade and they'll no longer be supporting HDMI. i then hooked it up to component and it looks relatively the same.   gotta work tonight, but i'm gonna look more into what i was told this weekend.   first i've ever heard of this.

I'm not sure they should be using the term "upgrade" when they're forcing you to revert to an inferior signal...
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 02:09:09 AM »

No kidding, 'upgrade' is complete and utter BS. Yet another reason why I rolled my own DVR instead of renting.

(Though this means I get screwed as far as HD goes)

(However, most of what I want to watch is SD anyways)

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 03:58:17 AM »

To be frank though, this issue is also likely a problem with the PS3 not recognizing some error code, or when it needs to update the handshake as much as it could be al cheapo HDTV manufacturers using the wrong chips.

But, I'm glad it worked for you.  I should probably post this little guide to fix this problem so people don't end up sending in their PS3 when they don't have to.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 02:01:17 AM »

Turtle, this just happened to me tonight and your post saved me.  Thanks a ton.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 06:42:37 AM »

I have a small question, I figured I could use this thread instead of start a new one.

When I am in the PS3 dashboard (or whatever Sony calls it) and I load a game, I get two "no signal" messages and then it finds the signal. I have the 42" LCD Vizio. The game displays properly, I'm just not sure why it says I don't have a signal while it's loading the game.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 10:49:17 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 29, 2007, 06:42:37 AM

I have a small question, I figured I could use this thread instead of start a new one.

When I am in the PS3 dashboard (or whatever Sony calls it) and I load a game, I get two "no signal" messages and then it finds the signal. I have the 42" LCD Vizio. The game displays properly, I'm just not sure why it says I don't have a signal while it's loading the game.

I think this is just how the PS3 works. There's temporarily no video output as it switches modes.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 12:38:53 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 29, 2007, 10:49:17 AM

I think this is just how the PS3 works. There's temporarily no video output as it switches modes.
Yeah, I've got that TV and read reviews that mention this as a negative for the TV. I don't mind, really, because it isn't wrecking anything.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 01:00:38 PM »

Probably just a normal HDMI "handshake". 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 03:05:18 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 29, 2007, 01:00:38 PM

Probably just a normal HDMI "handshake". 

I know that when my PS3 goes into PS2 mode, I get a totally scrambled picture for a few seconds over my HDMI connection. So I do think it's the PS3 in some way, shape, or form.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 03:17:04 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 29, 2007, 03:05:18 PM

I know that when my PS3 goes into PS2 mode, I get a totally scrambled picture for a few seconds over my HDMI connection. So I do think it's the PS3 in some way, shape, or form.

PS2 mode is a bit funny anyway (like how you have to reinitiate the controller) but you would might also see a handshake in that mode as well.  I think you'll see the handshake (ie loss of input) anytime you change resolution.  Judging by Ridah's other thread about 1080p issues, I'm guessing his dashboard is in 1080p and the screen blanking occurs when booting into a game with a 720p res. 
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »

I had a handshaking problem on my Samsung Plasma, and didnt know what was going on. Took me a while to get both my DVR and Ps3 workign again. Had to unplug and replug the cables several times, but its back to normal. No idea what caused that HDCP CRAP.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 05:18:16 PM »

ok got another question i need help with.....

i'm wanting to hook up my PS3 via component now and not HDMI, but i can't get it to work.  i basically do the instruction from above that Turtle posted but it won't work.   i kept the HDMI plugged in and then also plugged in the component.  when i reset it, i get the message that it recognizes HDMI and do i want to connect with that?  i chose no, but when i turn it to the component, i get nothing on the screen......it's like it's not even connected.   if i go into the settings and choose component, i still get no picture.

i'm positive it's connected, but still won't work.   any ideas what i might not be doing correctly?

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on December 16, 2007, 05:18:16 PM

ok got another question i need help with.....

i'm wanting to hook up my PS3 via component now and not HDMI, but i can't get it to work.  i basically do the instruction from above that Turtle posted but it won't work.   i kept the HDMI plugged in and then also plugged in the component.  when i reset it, i get the message that it recognizes HDMI and do i want to connect with that?  i chose no, but when i turn it to the component, i get nothing on the screen......it's like it's not even connected.   if i go into the settings and choose component, i still get no picture.

i'm positive it's connected, but still won't work.   any ideas what i might not be doing correctly?

um, if you want to use component for the PS3, you shouldn't have the HDMI cable plugged in whatsoever...
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 07:40:42 PM »

tried that and that's why i went to the suggestion Turtle gave above.   still can't get a signal using component regardless of how i connect it.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 11:38:19 PM »

Disconnect the HDMI and connect the compontent.  Turn on the PS3 by holding the ON/OFF button for five seconds.  Once you do that you should get a picture through the component connection.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 11:44:09 AM »

ok, making progress.   i have picture now through component, but no sound.   i was using the HDMI to play audio through my tv speakers.   i don't have a receiver, just use the television speakers.   i did the automatic audio configuration, but still getting no sound.   anything i'm not doing right?

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »

Got to tell the PS3 you are sending audio over the AV connection.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: