http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 09:55:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 - Slim or Fat?  (Read 1560 times)
El-Producto
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:20:58 PM »

My fiance wants to buy me a ps3 for my birthday today, and I'm not sure which to get.

I really only want it for blu-ray, and streaming media... my 360 gets most of my gaming time.

Which model, and which bundle should I get?

"Goonies never say die"
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »

I don't think you'll see much if any of the "phat" model still out in the retail channel, so unless you'll be looking for used I would stick with the new slim. And I think what's out there now is either a 120GB that lists for $299 or a 250GB for $349, get whatever you can afford. Or you could hunt down an older phat with a small harddrive and easily upgrade it to whatever size you need, since all that takes is the 2.5" form factor "laptop" drive of your choice.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 02:40:19 PM »

I can imagine why you would want to get a phat one unless of course it was one of the original 20/60GB models  I would just stick with the slim and get the extra storage space and I would assume the better efficiency/reliability.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 02:48:07 PM »

I'm not sure, I've never been in the market so I didn't realize you couldn't get a phat anymore.

I have a $450 budget to work with, is the extra HD space worth the extra $50, or should I spend that on accessories?

Keep in mind I will be streaming all of my media, and not doing a ton of gaming on it.. exclusives only.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 02:49:46 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 03:53:25 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on November 11, 2009, 02:48:07 PM

I'm not sure, I've never been in the market so I didn't realize you couldn't get a phat anymore.

I have a $450 budget to work with, is the extra HD space worth the extra $50, or should I spend that on accessories?

Keep in mind I will be streaming all of my media, and not doing a ton of gaming on it.. exclusives only.

the basic slim's a great piece of hardware. you wanna upgrade the hd down the road, you have that option - me, i'd just spend whatever's left over on games smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 03:54:27 PM »

I say get the slim.  It looks nicer, it's quieter, and it collects less dust. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 04:08:42 PM »

fat gives you more cushion for the pushin'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 04:17:18 PM »

I can't think of a reason to buy the fat unless you want PS2 comparability (and that is only in certain models) or cheaper price buying a used one. 

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 06:39:33 PM »

Go with a Slim.
Every since I've got my PS3 Slim my life has changed.
The air I breathe is fresher. Colors are brighter. Sound is richer.

I used to have a 360 before my PS3, I don't even know what has happened to it since I bought my PS3. I think it got sold to some guy for $100 bucks.

And make sure to tell your girlfriend she is the best girlfriend in the world.
My girlfriend wants to break my PS3, never mind buy me anything gaming related, ever.
Where did you find this wonder woman?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »

The slim has physical buttons too. I hate the heat sensitive controls on the old models. Having to stand there holding the button for 5 seconds to turn it off is annoying.

I'm sure all of the other arguments for the slim are more important though  icon_smile

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »

Get the Slim, and get the cheaper model (unless the expensive one comes with a pack-in or something you really want). There's absolutely no reason to get a bigger HD than what comes with the cheaper Slim, unless you intend to absolutely load the thing up with your music collection or something. And even then, you can just buy a laptop HD off of any store shelf and install it yourself.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 07:37:24 PM »

Quote from: Darren8r on November 11, 2009, 06:39:33 PM

Go with a Slim.

Well, now I really want one too. I had no idea they emitted hallucinogenic substances into the air.   smoke:
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 08:28:25 PM »

Quote from: Darren8r on November 11, 2009, 06:39:33 PM

Go with a Slim.

I used to have a 360 before my PS3, I don't even know what has happened to it since I bought my PS3. I think it got sold to some guy for $100 bucks.

And make sure to tell your girlfriend she is the best girlfriend in the world.
My girlfriend wants to break my PS3, never mind buy me anything gaming related, ever.
Where did you find this wonder woman?

Alright, Slim 120gb it is.

She is wonderful.  She doesn't totally love my gaming addiction, but certainly doesn't hate it.  I catch her playing Rock Band all the time.

"Goonies never say die"
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 10:29:44 PM »

Since you're going to use it for lots of Blu-ray movie watching you will probably also want to pick up a good remote for that.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 12:59:26 AM »

Ok.

Got back with my 120gb Slim PS3 and the Blu-Ray remote.

We rented Wolverine on BD, and I have to say I'm not as wowed as I thought I would be.  The overall picture is grainy.
I've tweaked my TV settings using some recommended settings from the web.  Maybe it's just this movie.

"Goonies never say die"
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 01:19:36 AM »

Quote from: El-Producto on November 12, 2009, 12:59:26 AM

Ok.

We rented Wolverine on BD, and I have to say I'm not as wowed as I thought I would be.  The overall picture is grainy.
I've tweaked my TV settings using some recommended settings from the web.  Maybe it's just this movie.

I don't have a grainy problem with the picture using bluray. My problem has been load times to boot the movie -checking for updates and loading. I just want to watch the movie. Sometimes I wish I rented the dvd to just get on to the show.

congrats on the PS3 purchase!! Make sure to check out the game Pain for some awesome multiplayer fun (not online though).
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 01:47:40 AM »

Has anyone used one of the bluetooth > IR converters (like ps3toothfairy) to control the PS3 with a universal remote? I'm considering a PS3 as a replacement to my current DVD player but also looking for good solutions for having my universal remote control it for movies.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 02:43:04 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on November 12, 2009, 01:47:40 AM

Has anyone used one of the bluetooth > IR converters (like ps3toothfairy) to control the PS3 with a universal remote? I'm considering a PS3 as a replacement to my current DVD player but also looking for good solutions for having my universal remote control it for movies.

I have a nyko one and it worked ok. Just would not turn the system on. All the functionality was there but I got frustrated with it not turning the power on, so I bought the sony one. If you want it pm me.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 04:12:16 AM »

Quote from: El-Producto on November 12, 2009, 12:59:26 AM

Ok.

What kind of cable is included with the Slim?  You may want to get an HDMI (from somewhere cheap like monoprice or Amazon) or component cable if one of those isn't included.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 04:16:48 AM »

What kind of cable and what kind / size of TV are we talking about? There shouldn't be anything remotely 'grainy' about it.

-craig

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 05:31:52 AM »

I thought the PS3 doesn't come with an HDMI cable. In fact, doesn't it just come with the generic yellow/white/red cable? Or does it come with component (3 video, 2 audio)?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »

I'm running it with HDMI.

My guess is the creators of Wolverine have overdone the film grain a little too much.  I'll have to try another movie, and see if it's the same.

BTW, the PS3 controller is garbage.  I don't know how I would ever play a game with it, especially with my 360 controller sitting right next to it.

"Goonies never say die"
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 01:16:02 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on November 12, 2009, 01:11:07 PM

BTW, the PS3 controller is garbage.  I don't know how I would ever play a game with it, especially with my 360 controller sitting right next to it.

Best Buy sells a Rocketfish PS3 controller which puts the left analog stick in the "correct" position. I am sure since it's Rocketfish that it isn't premium quality, but if I ever buy a PS3, I will be buying one of these controllers at the same time. linky

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 01:35:47 PM »

I've never tried the 360 controller (I think it looks clunky in pictures), but I can't imagine what people find so bad about the PS3 controller. To me it manages to do the most important thing, which is to completely disappear in my hand (figuratively speaking), letting me focus 100% on the games.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 01:58:46 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 12, 2009, 01:35:47 PM

I've never tried the 360 controller (I think it looks clunky in pictures), but I can't imagine what people find so bad about the PS3 controller. To me it manages to do the most important thing, which is to completely disappear in my hand (figuratively speaking), letting me focus 100% on the games.

You seriously don't know what you are missing.  The 360 controller is the best game controller EVAR.  I don't recommend trying it, because you'll hate the Dual Crap 3 after.

"Goonies never say die"
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 02:01:43 PM »

There's nothing wrong with the PS3 controller - its nice, it works, and its functional. The thing is, the Xbox controller is *solid* and it just works very well when you try it out...i dont know how they did it, but it just feels right and is the second best controller I've ever tried (yes, its the Arcade Turbo Joystick thats the best!)

A new one
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »

I don't really get the controller bigotry or such extremes in opinion - 360 best ever, PS3 complete crap. I have both and both are perfectly functional for me. Sure, the 360 controller has more heft and feels more "solid" and I did feel the need to add those "real triggers" to the PS3 controller but otherwise I don't really notice a difference when I play nor do I notice a difference if the left analog stick is in the "correct position" or not. [shrug] To each their own, I guess.

-craig

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 02:55:45 PM »

Well I prefer the analog layout of the PS3 over the 360 (feels more natural) so Tongue to you all.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »

If the controller you got with the PS3 is a dual-shock like the PS2's, then I prefer it to the 360 controller. Just try playing a legacy/arcade or fighting game that requires the d-pad, that ought to change your preference immediately. As well, with the left stick so close to the left button, the 360 controller is uncomfortable for anyone with large hands -i.e myself- when playing games that use the L-button a lot. I'll admit that the dual-shock took some adjustment for me, having used an Xbox controller for years before trying it, but once I got used to I actually started to prefer it.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 03:40:27 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 12, 2009, 02:52:54 PM

I don't really get the controller bigotry or such extremes in opinion - 360 best ever, PS3 complete crap. I have both and both are perfectly functional for me. Sure, the 360 controller has more heft and feels more "solid" and I did feel the need to add those "real triggers" to the PS3 controller but otherwise I don't really notice a difference when I play nor do I notice a difference if the left analog stick is in the "correct position" or not. [shrug] To each their own, I guess.

You do realize I'm half kidding.  I'm basing it on about 5 min. of play time.  I'm sure it's totally functional, and I'm used to HOURS on the 360 controller.

"Goonies never say die"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 04:11:57 PM »

make sure you check out the Real Triggers he mentioned.  granted, they won't move the analog sticks but make the triggers feel much better.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 04:17:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2009, 04:11:57 PM

make sure you check out the Real Triggers he mentioned.  granted, they won't move the analog sticks but make the triggers feel much better.

IME it seems many PS3 games have the top bumper assigned to functions that would be well suited for the triggers, making the Real Triggers not quite as useful as one would hope.  But for $5, why not?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 05:24:48 PM »

Quote from: Laner on November 12, 2009, 04:17:39 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2009, 04:11:57 PM

IME it seems many PS3 games have the top bumper assigned to functions that would be well suited for the triggers, making the Real Triggers not quite as useful as one would hope.  But for $5, why not?

Totally agree and (thankfully) many allow them to be remapped / swapped.

-craig

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: