http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 01:00:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 Scalper = Should be Eaten by Angry Locusts  (Read 5270 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2006, 03:27:14 AM »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boxthor/296485520/

Seriously...wtf.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 10:37:27 PM by Knightshade Dragon » Logged

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 04:12:07 AM »

[jblank]YOU ONLY THINK HE'S AN ASSHOLE BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T HELD ENOUGH AS A CHILD YOU COMMIE.  WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA AND ALL THE FREEDOMS WE STAND FOR INCLUDING SCALPING LEISURE ITEMS WHICH ARE ONLY LEISURE ITEMS, YOU STRAWMAN MAKING COMMUNIST, NOT MEDICINE FOR THE NEEDY OR POOR BECAUSE IF IT WAS MEDICINE FOR THE NEEDY OR POOR I WOULD GIVE IT AWAY IN A HEARTBEAT, YES SIR NOT TRY TO SELL IT FOR A QUICK BUCK AT ALL IN FACT I'M SUCH A BLEEDING SAINT THAT I'M GOING TO DONATE ALL MY PROFITS OFF MY PS3 SCALP, I MEAN, COMPLETELY MORALLY A-OK CAPITALIST SALE, TO CHARITY.  AND IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME YOU ARE A TERRORIST[/jblank]

Spoiler for Hiden:
This post intended to poke fun at jblank scalper diatribes.  It is not intended to be malicious.  I wuv jblank.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 04:21:07 AM by -Lord Ebonstone- » Logged

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 04:46:40 AM »

I wouldn't call them diatribes, nor do I support someone getting 100 of these things. That is way over the top.

Oh, and for the record, I never called anyone a communist, or endorsed "scalping" per se. Joke or not, I am not sure that was needed LE, because it really misrepresents what I have said the past few weeks, and sort of sounds like I endorse someone doing crap like this guy, when thats not the case at all.

No harm though, but I did wanna be clear on that.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 04:52:53 AM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 04:54:06 AM »

Quote from: jblank on November 14, 2006, 04:46:40 AM

I wouldn't call them diatribes, nor do I support someone getting 100 of these things. That is way over the top.

Oh, and for the record, I never called anyone a communist, or endorsed "scalping" per se. Joke or not, I am not sure that was needed LE, because it really misrepresents what I have said the past few weeks, and sort of sounds like I endorse someone doing crap like this guy, when thats not the case at all.

No harm though, but I did wanna be clear on that.

Lemme go ahead and swing these out..

icon_rolleyes

I thought it was funny. smile   Seriously though, that is 60,000 dollars worth of PS3s.  That takes planning and forsight to pull off (or a Yakuza style bankroll)   Scary....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 04:56:44 AM »

Are you rolling eyes at me for what I said? :icon_confused: I'm not angry, but I didn't want people to get the wrong idea about me.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 05:19:59 AM »

yeah, jblank wouldn't support this guy.  I mean, c'mon, if this dude is selling 100 PS3's on eBay he's going to totally dilute the chance that jblank will make big money on his auction!

(i keed I keed!  he can do whatever he wants with his PS3.  I mean, if he wanted to steal both of Hetz's and then smash it up in front of him it'd all be cool (as long as it was posted on youtube))  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 07:04:27 AM »

I sorta maybe possibly (not really) could understand some of the hate jblank might be getting about re-selling a PS3 but it doesn't bother me at all. It's the fact that people will be buying them at $1000 or more. That's the problem.

Quote from: CeeKay on November 14, 2006, 05:19:59 AM

I mean, if he wanted to steal both of Hetz's and then smash it up in front of him it'd all be cool (as long as it was posted on youtube))  Tongue

http://www.smashmyps3.com/
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 10:03:45 AM »

I don't believed it.  It's probably a photoshopped pic, or some dink at Bic Camera went into their stockroom with a digital camera and took a pic.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 03:36:17 PM »

Could the dude have picked up a crapload of empty display boxes, going from store to store after the actual consoles sold out?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 03:52:39 PM »

I doubt its real but if I had 100 PS3's I would sell all of them for as much as I could get and not care who hated me for it. I think it is just display boxes, if it is real it would have to involve organized crime to get that many.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 03:53:35 PM »

Quote from: bluntman72 on November 14, 2006, 03:52:39 PM

I doubt its real but if I had 100 PS3's I would sell all of them for as much as I could get and not care who hated me for it. I think it is just display boxes, if it is real it would have to involve organized crime to get that many.

As I said, Yakuza money. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 03:57:02 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 14, 2006, 03:53:35 PM

Quote from: bluntman72 on November 14, 2006, 03:52:39 PM

As I said, Yakuza money. 

maybe they can put that in the next Yakuza game  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 05:06:28 PM »

"Your mission is to infiltrate Bic Camera and purchase 100 PS3s.  If you fail, we will cut off your pinkie.   HIYAAA!!!"

hehehhe   icon_smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 12:49:21 AM »

Quote from: motodd on November 14, 2006, 07:04:27 AM

So what's the deal?  They get the PS3 and smash it in the parking lot, right in front of all the people waiting in line?
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 01:15:10 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 15, 2006, 12:49:21 AM

Quote from: motodd on November 14, 2006, 07:04:27 AM

So what's the deal?  They get the PS3 and smash it in the parking lot, right in front of all the people waiting in line?

Idiots with nothing more to do with their lives, so they break them and rub it in the face of others.

I hope the next guy in line, that doesn't get one, picks up the biggest piece and busts it over the head of the guy that breaks it.

unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 02:02:32 AM »

I dunno, I think that's funny as hell.

Even funnier is how they are buying the damned (literally) things with other people's money.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 02:18:53 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 15, 2006, 02:02:32 AM

Even funnier is how they are buying the damned (literally) things with other people's money.

So you find humor in someone buying an expensive item and then breaking it in front of people, that are potentially missing out on THAT particular item? Ok. saywhat

Here in Tennessee we refer to those kind of people as assholes.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 04:12:12 AM »

Quote from: jblank on November 15, 2006, 02:18:53 AM

So you find humor in someone buying an expensive item and then breaking it in front of people, that are potentially missing out on THAT particular item? Ok. saywhat

they should just take it, eBay it and refund the money back to the people who donated it while keeping the profits and saying 'we never got the PS3, so here's you're money back'  :slywink:

Because I can,
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 04:55:13 AM »

I think it's awesome.  Suck it down, you decadent little drones.*

*This isn't serious either.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 06:52:25 AM by -Lord Ebonstone- » Logged

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 06:12:04 AM »

So you find humor in someone buying an expensive item and then breaking it in front of people, that are potentially missing out on THAT particular item? Ok.

I would be laughing my ass off, even if I was one of those people in line witnessing it happen  finger

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006, 03:47:23 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 15, 2006, 06:12:04 AM

So you find humor in someone buying an expensive item and then breaking it in front of people, that are potentially missing out on THAT particular item? Ok.

I would be laughing my ass off, even if I was one of those people in line witnessing it happen  finger

+1

Hey, it's not like they are getting a donor heart and smashing that in front of someone who needs it. It's just a bunch of plastic and wires.

LiveTAG: happydog
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006, 03:57:53 PM »

I'd watch the video.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 04:45:19 PM »

Oh, I completely agree they are assholes.  And that is exactly what is funny about it.

Hey, they are buying it with real money, they aren't defrauding anyone, they aren't hurting anyone.  IMO, it's good clean fun, and they are free to use anything they buy in a legal manner.

Partially, the entire anti-consumerism statement is great.  It's a big F-U to all the people who are willing to spend days in line and gauge the entire success/failure of their holiday on their ability to purchase one high demand expensive item... or simply resell said item to milk people with said attitude.  And also, as I mentioned previously, having other people finance their purchase is perhaps the most unintentionally funny thing about it.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2006, 05:15:32 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 15, 2006, 04:45:19 PM

Oh, I completely agree they are assholes.  And that is exactly what is funny about it.

Hey, they are buying it with real money, they aren't defrauding anyone, they aren't hurting anyone.  IMO, it's good clean fun, and they are free to use anything they buy in a legal manner.

No kidding, it's amusing because it'll not only piss off the fanboys, but the scalpers too. icon_biggrin It's like South Park in real life.

I'll agree that it's a waste, though, and that aspect of it bothers me. Shows just how much the "disposable" mentality has permeated our culture, and that's a sad state of affairs. The PS3 itself has no value beyond what people put on it. However, it's sad to see the raw materials and energy that were put into its manufacture go to waste, given how rapidly we continue to deplete our natural resources.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006, 05:55:59 PM »

Quote from: Farscry
No kidding, it's amusing because it'll not only piss off the fanboys, but the scalpers too.  icon_biggrin

Why would smashing a PS3 in front of a line of hopeful purchasers piss off a scalper?  By taking one more PS3 out of the hands of someone who actually wants it, that's one more person who might be willing to pay a steeply inflated price to buy one...from a scalper.  Everybody wins, except for the consumer who genuinely just wants to purchase a PlayStation 3.

Quote from: unbreakable
Partially, the entire anti-consumerism statement is great.  It's a big F-U to all the people who are willing to spend days in line and gauge the entire success/failure of their holiday on their ability to purchase one high demand expensive item... or simply resell said item to milk people with said attitude.

The people willing to wait in those lines hoping to own a PS3 aren't hurting anyone.  They aren't trying to tear down anyone else's values or push their own onto other people.  Why do you take such glee in the idea of provoking them for no purpose?

-Autistic Angel
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2006, 06:31:11 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 15, 2006, 05:55:59 PM

No kidding, it's amusing because it'll not only piss off the fanboys, but the scalpers too.  icon_biggrin

Why would smashing a PS3 in front of a line of hopeful purchasers piss off a scalper?  By taking one more PS3 out of the hands of someone who actually wants it, that's one more person who might be willing to pay a steeply inflated price to buy one...from a scalper.  Everybody wins, except for the consumer who genuinely just wants to purchase a PlayStation 3.

You're ignoring the scalpers in line. I don't know a single person personally who is going to wait in line to get a PS3 to keep. But I know a lot of people personally who are going to wait in line to get as many PS3's as they can to scalp on eBay. I'm suspecting that this percentage will be higher than last year's 360 launch.

So the odds are nearly as good that the destroyed system would've gone to a scalper anyway. Hence why it's equal opportunity cruelty. icon_wink

And like I said, I'm more upset at the waste of finite resources than I am at the "loss" of the people waiting in line. There's a reason I never go to that kind of length to acquire non-essential stuff.

unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 06:38:16 PM »

The people willing to wait in those lines hoping to own a PS3 aren't hurting anyone.  They aren't trying to tear down anyone else's values or push their own onto other people.  Why do you take such glee in the idea of provoking them for no purpose?

-Autistic Angel

I don't see it as a provocation at all.  As I said, it's simply a statement.

Think of it as performance art.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 07:11:17 PM »

Quote from: happydog on November 15, 2006, 03:47:23 PM

Quote from: Ridah on November 15, 2006, 06:12:04 AM

+1

Hey, it's not like they are getting a donor heart and smashing that in front of someone who needs it. It's just a bunch of plastic and wires.

I never said it was, but it's kind of assholish to do it right in front of people. I think its bad form, thats all, but if some people think its "cool", thats fine, we just don't agree.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 07:15:05 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 15, 2006, 06:31:11 PM

You're ignoring the scalpers in line. I don't know a single person personally who is going to wait in line to get a PS3 to keep. But I know a lot of people personally who are going to wait in line to get as many PS3's as they can to scalp on eBay. I'm suspecting that this percentage will be higher than last year's 360 launch.

So the odds are nearly as good that the destroyed system would've gone to a scalper anyway. Hence why it's equal opportunity cruelty. icon_wink

And like I said, I'm more upset at the waste of finite resources than I am at the "loss" of the people waiting in line. There's a reason I never go to that kind of length to acquire non-essential stuff.

Yeah but there is a big difference between trying to send a message about consumerism, or trying to "get back at scalpers", and taking something someone wants, of which there are few of right now, and smashing it to bits right in front of their faces. Thats just low class in my book, but in todays society, sometimes that is what is looked at as cool.

I guess my point is, there is no reason to be an asshole about the PS3, and do things to show up others, just to make a video to put on some childish website, that in two weeks nobody will visit again anyway.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2006, 07:19:20 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 15, 2006, 06:38:16 PM

-Autistic Angel

I don't see it as a provocation at all.  As I said, it's simply a statement.

Think of it as performance art.

Which is often intentionally provocative.

I'm sorry, but if breaking something someone wants, right in front of them, isn't provoking, I don't know what is. It's showing someone up, and 9 times out of 10 will entice a negative response out of the people they are targeting.

Whatever though, this really isn't worth debating further, especially with people that think this is "cool", or "fun", or "neat". I respect your opinions and all, but really guys, put yourself in the shoes of someone out there in line, rather than in the shoes of someone that has no interest in the thing.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2006, 07:49:35 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 15, 2006, 07:19:20 PM

I respect your opinions and all, but really guys, put yourself in the shoes of someone out there in line, rather than in the shoes of someone that has no interest in the thing.
Coming from a scalper, this is probably the fucking funniest thing I've read in weeks.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2006, 07:53:32 PM »

I don't think it's "cool" or "fun" or "neat", but you're welcome to put words into my mouth if you continue to feel the need to. I just think it's amusing, and should specify that I find it amusing in the way of morbid humor.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 15, 2006, 07:49:35 PM

I respect your opinions and all, but really guys, put yourself in the shoes of someone out there in line, rather than in the shoes of someone that has no interest in the thing.
Coming from a scalper, this is probably the fucking funniest thing I've read in weeks.

Roll Eyes

1. I'm not scalping a fucking thing and you need to get off my back about this. One joke is fine, but making me out to be some hypocrite, like you are trying to do, is a load of shit. Back off.
2. Nobody is missing out on a PS3, or having to stand in line for one, that I am taking away.
3. Mine isn't gonna be smashed, its going to someone who actually wants it, a big difference from breaking it right in front of them.
4. I understand your need to be controversial, but if you're trying to (again) make light of me selling mine, then you are REALLY reaching this time, because there is no inconsistency with what I said about THIS issue, and what I am doing with my PS3.
5. Find something else to rail against.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006, 08:53:35 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 15, 2006, 07:53:32 PM

I don't think it's "cool" or "fun" or "neat", but you're welcome to put words into my mouth if you continue to feel the need to. I just think it's amusing, and should specify that I find it amusing in the way of morbid humor.

I don't have to put words in anyones mouth to make my point on this, and in the interest of fairness, I wasn't using you as my example. I may have used the word "cool" in a post I quoted from you, but you weren't the person I was thinking of when I wrote that.

Hopefully, finally, once and for all, and this isn't going out to any one person, can we all, as a forum, just shut the fuck up about people selling their damn systems? You guys wanting to "get back at scalpers" or make us out to be horrible people, really need to just accept it and move right on to the next issue. I'm tired of being singled out, I am tired of having to explain myself, and frankly I am tired of discussing it. For way too many people in here, the selling of video games systems is too big of an issue. I understand we take this hobby seriously, we all do, but to act like this is some holocaust, like we're the bad guy, or we are immoral, is just insane. Just listen to yourselves, think about what we're talking about, and lets knock off the sniping and jabbing at people, just because they aren't wanting to keep their systems. This has gotten far too emotional, but it is one of those things where people seem to be having way too much fun arguing, rather than just backing off, realizing some people might need the profit off this for something, and not letting it force them to make judgements against others.

It's gaming people, something that brings us all together here, to talk about that hobby, why do we need to fight about it? Why do we need to get the blood pressure of the forum up? Why argue like this is religion or politics? It kinda pisses me off that the one thing we have over every other forum, the accumulated gaming knowledge and insight of our members that play games, is thrown out the window so we can argue about the selling of a video game console. All of us, me included, have taken this damn system fight way too seriously, and if I said some shit that bothered some of you, then I apologize, but ya gotta understand, when you try to attack people, for selling a video game system, its naturally not going to be taken well.

So, can we ALL just drop the arguing? Please? 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:55:14 PM by jblank » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2006, 09:04:49 PM »

It would be in bad taste for someone to make a joke about jblank accidentally double posting, and so I just want to put it out there that people should refrain from such negative humor.  It'll probably be taken the wrong way.  Yes, even if smilies are used, so don't even think about it.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2006, 09:06:31 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 15, 2006, 09:04:49 PM

It would be in bad taste for someone to make a joke about jblank accidentally double posting, and so I just want to put it out there that people should refrain from such negative humor.  It'll probably be taken the wrong way.  Yes, even if smilies are used, so don't even think about it.

Double posting? Ah, I get it, and yet another post where unnecessary sarcasm gets tossed my way. Nice. I get the feeling, for whatever reason, not many people like me here. That really bothers me, I don't know what I have done to some of you.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 09:12:26 PM by jblank » Logged

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2006, 09:10:50 PM »

This comes up a lot, so I am gonna address it.

Humor, jokes, all that, fine, no problem, I like to laugh, my sense of humor is a-ok.....BUT, making light of someone, by making absurd, ridiculous statements, isn't needed.

For some reason, this whole PS3 thing has made me a huge target here, and I don't appreciate it. I don't want this place to turn into OO, which is to say its someplace that no longer gets fun to come to, due to all the targeting and bullshit, but this whole PS3 thing, has at least recently, started to bring back some very bad memories, of a certain other forum that I no longer am a member at.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2006, 09:43:59 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 15, 2006, 09:10:50 PM

This comes up a lot, so I am gonna address it.

Humor, jokes, all that, fine, no problem, I like to laugh, my sense of humor is a-ok.....BUT, making light of someone, by making absurd, ridiculous statements, isn't needed.

For some reason, this whole PS3 thing has made me a huge target here, and I don't appreciate it. I don't want this place to turn into OO, which is to say its someplace that no longer gets fun to come to, due to all the targeting and bullshit, but this whole PS3 thing, has at least recently, started to bring back some very bad memories, of a certain other forum that I no longer am a member at.

Detach.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2006, 09:45:30 PM »

jblank, for what it's worth, none of my posts have been directed at you, or specifically singling out scalpers per se. I'm sorry if my posts contributed to your feeling of being under attack.

Do I support or agree with scalping? No. I personally find it unethical.

Am I going to rip into someone for doing it? No. Everyone has their own positions on the long greyscale line of ethics. And scalping video game systems, in the big picture of all the things we could be worrying about in this messed up world, really isn't that big a deal.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2006, 10:05:50 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 15, 2006, 08:40:00 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 15, 2006, 07:49:35 PM

Roll Eyes

1. I'm not scalping a fucking thing and you need to get off my back about this. One joke is fine, but making me out to be some hypocrite, like you are trying to do, is a load of shit. Back off.
2. Nobody is missing out on a PS3, or having to stand in line for one, that I am taking away.
3. Mine isn't gonna be smashed, its going to someone who actually wants it, a big difference from breaking it right in front of them.
4. I understand your need to be controversial, but if you're trying to (again) make light of me selling mine, then you are REALLY reaching this time, because there is no inconsistency with what I said about THIS issue, and what I am doing with my PS3.
5. Find something else to rail against.
DOWNSETTLE

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: