http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 02:24:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 pricing  (Read 13599 times)
pingwrx
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2006, 10:30:39 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"
Get ready for $1000+ bundles from Best Buy and EB.

Freaking insane. Sony is too full of themselves to realize that they just priced themselves out of the casual gamer market. The first run of units will sell like hotcakes to the early adopters. They'll buy it no matter what the price. After that, who's going to buy one? I can see parents all over the country telling their kids "are you crazy??" when they get asked to get one by their kids.

Yea I totally agree with you sony = full of themselves I have twin boys leaving for college next year no way I spend that kind of money on a blu-ray player disguised as a ps3.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2006, 11:29:01 PM »

In short, a sub-$2000 gaming PC is the computing equivalent of a tardpack. moan all you like, but you're just wasting money in the long run if you don't buy the best hardware you can afford on the market at the time.

You just might be completely out of your mind.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2006, 12:08:54 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

In short, a sub-$2000 gaming PC is the computing equivalent of a tardpack.  Piss, thrash, bitch, and moan all you like, but you're just wasting money in the long run if you don't buy the best hardware you can afford on the market at the time.

Yep, clueless.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2006, 12:36:28 AM »

Selling the premium system at $600 is an excellent idea. Look at how quickly the Xbox360 sold while well above its MSRP. The install base of the Playstation crowd is dramatically higher than that of MS.

Those 2 million units will be snapped up very swiftly. The high price point will help Sony recover their manufacturimg costs.  When they begin reducing their price, all the holdouts will buy a system anyway. Why enter the market at a low price point when you have:

A) limited inventory
B) limited manufacturing capabilities
C) limited games
D) high demand
D) high losses on every unit sold
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2006, 12:54:14 AM »

What's going on in here is very telling.

We are the hardest of the hardcore and about 80% of the posts are claiming to be OUT! to various degrees.

What does that say about the prospects of selling these to the 'general public'?

This couldn't be better news to Nintendo (I think they are making money).
I'm not going to say I'm OUT at this point on the PS3 but I'm actually looking forward to hearing more about the Wii (Yeah - I just typed that!)

Another thing - Does this system clearly devide the Sony/MS battle down to which country you live in?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2006, 01:09:50 AM »

In short, a sub-$2000 gaming PC is the computing equivalent of a tardpack.  Piss, thrash, bitch, and moan all you like, but you're just wasting money in the long run if you don't buy the best hardware you can afford on the market at the time.

That is simply not true.  

I really can't see why someone would buy a  PS3 instead of a 360+Wii for roughly the same money.  That is certainly what I am going to do.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2006, 01:59:00 AM »

Those 2 million units will be snapped up very swiftly

You honestly think that they'll have this many units ready? Are you nuts? Have you looked back at Sony's history with hardware launches? we'll be lucky to see 750,000 units(and that's between 2 skus!). I can safely say that there are 750,000 numb-nuts out there who will shell for one of the systems.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2006, 02:08:41 AM »

What does that say about the prospects of selling these to the 'general public'?

You mean the same general public who made Bulletproof a million seller? slywink

We are the hardest of the hardcore and about 80% of the posts are claiming to be OUT! to various degrees.

And like what i've said before, GT regulars are a super fickle lot.  95% of immediate reaction is BS.  Let's check back in 6 months.

I'd say it's the opposite of telling. It's fluff. Pure fluff.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2006, 02:10:24 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
You know, this really hurts Blu-Rays chances as well as a HD movie format. Many studios were counting on a cheap Ps3 to be the "trojan horse" for Blu-Ray....now they just priced themselves right out of that.

If MS comes out with a HD-DVD addon for $99, as rumored, than I can easily see HD-DVD killing Blu-Ray off pretty quickly, since HD-DVD already costs much less than Blu-Ray in the stand alone player world.

K so I searched for 360's on Amazon and found: Contains: - Microsoft XBOX 360 console- 20 GB Hard drive- wireless controller- HD AV cable- ethernet network cable- wired XBOX Live headset- white faceplate- XBOX Live Silver service

For $499. I'm not sure if thats more  or else or whatever, but thats in US dollars. So if the add-on was $99(Which it wont be, because good DVD players are around $79.99.) And we are talking brand new tech. HD-DVD here, so they will probably be about $129, lets say. So if you add it all up, plus shipping/handling taxes on your 360, its going to be around $635.

Thats pricey.

But then again I just made up the shipping/handling costs and the HD-DVD player costs and I just took some kind of price off Amazon for the 360's price. So basically I'm trying to tell everyone that my numbers are competely wrong and not to listen to this post.....

I have nothing against any consoles/companies, other than I hate Microsoft Windows(I use Windows Xp Pro, SP2 BTW), I'm just making vaild facts that by the time you actually get your full 360, with HD-DVD, its going to be close to the price of a PS3. It just looks like a lot because its not broken into add-ons Tongue

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2006, 02:29:50 AM »

Actually Darren8r, the Xbox360 with say a $100 Hd-dvd drive attachment would end up being $499.99(don't look at the bundles that Amazon and other retailers throw out, MSRP for the Premium 360 is $399) the same cost as the low-end PS3, EXCEPT the fact that the low-end PS3 doesn't have HDMI, which is critical to watch Blu-ray in true High Def. So you have to get the $600 dollar machine.

Hundred bucks is still a hundred bucks.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2006, 02:34:12 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"

Good point. Well I dont shit shit money so I'm in the same boat as alot of you. I'll wait, my friends got a 360, play that in the mean time smile

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2006, 03:28:50 AM »

Actually Darren8r, the Xbox360 with say a $100 Hd-dvd drive attachment would end up being $499.99(don't look at the bundles that Amazon and other retailers throw out, MSRP for the Premium 360 is $399) the same cost as the low-end PS3, EXCEPT the fact that the low-end PS3 doesn't have HDMI, which is critical to watch Blu-ray in true High Def. So you have to get the $600 dollar machine.

+$100 for the 360 WiFi adapter.  Now that I think about it that way... the PS3 isn't as stupidly expensive as I once thought.  It's actually the same price as my 360...

gellar
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2006, 03:32:56 AM »

Quote from: "gellar"

+$100 for the 360 WiFi adapter.  Now that I think about it that way... the PS3 isn't as stupidly expensive as I once thought.  It's actually the same price as my 360...

gellar

uh-huh...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
unbreakable
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2006, 03:41:34 AM »

Ah well.  When I heard the rumor that the PS3 would ring in at $399, I was in.  At $599, not only am I out, but I am hella-out.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2006, 03:46:40 AM »

I don't even see the point of putting a Blu-ray drive in the PS3 unless games are going to use the format.  But if that's the case, it really is a bad move by not including HDMI in the cheaper SKU.  
If games remain on regular DVD, they should just leave the Blu-ray drive out and lower the console cost.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2006, 03:50:53 AM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"

gellar

uh-huh...

Don't get me wrong.  The price is still pretty recockulous, but some perspective makes it not seem as bad.

gellar
warning

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2006, 04:16:50 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"

And like what i've said before, GT regulars are a super fickle lot.  95% of immediate reaction is BS.  Let's check back in 6 months.

You surely don't expect the comments made on a message board to be binding do you?  I see it no differently than hanging around in a bar and chewing the fat about the subject of the day.  We bitch and moan and several months later we've forgotten about it.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2006, 04:40:34 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
........ hanging around in a bar and chewing the fat about the subject of the day.  We bitch and moan and several months later we've forgotten about it.

Or several minutes  :lol:

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2006, 05:55:33 AM »

And like what i've said before, GT regulars are a super fickle lot.  95% of immediate reaction is BS.

What?

Which would make your post, what, a fluffer?

This hardware generation sucks.  Nintendo's still intent on fagging their consoles up as much as possible, Microsoft is still utterly disinteresting and soulless, and Sony is just unfathomably disappointing.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2006, 06:26:47 AM »

And like what i've said before, GT regulars are a super fickle lot.  95% of immediate reaction is BS.

What?

Which would make your post, what, a fluffer?

This hardware generation sucks.  Nintendo's still intent on fagging their consoles up as much as possible, Microsoft is still utterly disinteresting and soulless, and Sony is just unfathomably disappointing.

Even after the conferences you feel this way?  Egads.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2006, 11:58:05 AM »

Don't get me wrong.  The price is still pretty recockulous, but some perspective makes it not seem as bad.

agreed. obviously, the next gen 'price ceiling', makes owning one system or the other look a bit more doable than owning both - but, when you throw in the $60 games themselves, who has the spare change to feed both these beasts anyway?...

my ds & psp are looking better 'n'better smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »

I stand by my statement - $600 is $600. Talk of the day or not. When it comes to plunking down money for a console the price will impact what people will do.

This is hardly good news from Sony.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2006, 12:48:54 PM »

This hardware generation sucks. Nintendo's still intent on fagging their consoles up as much as possible, Microsoft is still utterly disinteresting and soulless, and Sony is just unfathomably disappointing.

Is everything one continual disappointment to you or is it all an act?
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2006, 01:27:35 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I stand by my statement - $600 is $600. Talk of the day or not. When it comes to plunking down money for a console the price will impact what people will do.

This is hardly good news from Sony.

I agree and I'm out.  You can check back in two years and I will still be out.  Although there will be the "gotta-have-its" that plop down their Credit Card, thinking that it is free money.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2006, 02:51:11 PM »

What does the $500 PS3 not have that the XBox Premium does?  It seems like the PS3 is only $100 more, that's not even two games more anymore.  Sorry if I missed this earlier.

Also, Sony has a hard drive standard.  That was one of the big rallying XBox cries before.  Sony's system is more expensive, but has a lot more this time around.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2006, 03:07:25 PM »

This hardware generation sucks. Nintendo's still intent on fagging their consoles up as much as possible, Microsoft is still utterly disinteresting and soulless, and Sony is just unfathomably disappointing.

Dude... don't get in the way of his angst, yo.

gellar
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2006, 03:59:32 PM »

gellar

Heh.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2006, 07:27:00 PM »

It's E3 ennui, to steal the Qt3 thread title.  

The Wii is childish and gimmicky, and I honestly don't believe they'll be able to turn the gimmick around like they did with the DS.  It's Dreamcast all over again--the underpowered esoteric from a company who just needs to get the hell out of console hardware.

The 360 is a PC.  I have one of those.  It's roughly twice as powerful as a 360, and plays pretty much all the games the 360 has, along with plenty of ones the 360 doesn't.  Plus it lets me use a mouse to aim.  And sure, I might lack XBox Live, but in its place I have the internet.

The PS3 is $600.  Fuck that.  $600 is two quarters' worth of books, or two car payments, or anywhere from a month to three months' rent.  It's ten new games, or both of the other competing consoles and a game for each, or a case of beer and four cheap hookers.

I'm disappointed because the more I read about this trio, the more I think that this might be the generation I give up on console gaming.  The PS3 was going to be my ace in the hole, so to speak--the system that I figured would, at very least, have the exclusives I've enjoyed on the PS1/PS2.  But now even that's in the "not worth it" realm.  I'd pay $300 or even $400 for a generational upgrade to the PS2, but you expect me to pay $600 for the right to continue playing the same series of games?  Not worth it.

gellar
Don't you have a hole to crawl back to where people actually think you're funny?

Oh here it is, I found the link:  http://www.bovineconspiracy.com/

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2006, 08:06:21 PM »

gellar
Don't you have a hole to crawl back to where people actually think you're funny?

Oh here it is, I found the link:  http://www.bovineconspiracy.com/

Ok, terrific.

gellar
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2006, 09:04:18 PM »

I'll second the agreement here.

The early adopters will justify the high price with the additonal things you get such as blu-ray, wi-fi, etc. The average kid trying to spin all these additonal benefits to their mother to justify the higher price over cheaper consoles will be hard sell - it'll basically come down to how much the kid whines and if $600 is a justified expense to shut them up.

Average consumers looking to buy a blu-ray player won't give this a second look thinking "Oh I get a blu-ray player and console in one for just a bit more money."

From my own perspective, as a gamer, even knowing what i know of the unit at this point I can't justify $600 on something like this.

The price really narrows wat group will buy in to this thing. I have no doubt this will sell like hotcakes initially but I really wonder how long the purchasing enthusiam will be sustainable at that price.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2006, 09:57:02 PM »

while i agree with much of what lord e says (tho am not quite as bitter about it):

I honestly don't believe they'll be able to turn the gimmick around like they did with the DS.

they didn't just turn the ds around, they ended up creating a smash hit portable, making any second-guessing of nintendo right now tricky business at the very least...

The PS3 is $600.  Fuck that.  $600 is two quarters' worth of books, or two car payments, or anywhere from a month to three months' rent.  It's ten new games, or both of the other competing consoles and a game for each, or a case of beer and four cheap hookers.

i agree. money don't grow on trees. which is the reason i've never bought nikes. or an ipod. or a 360. (which, btw, is the reason i'll be able to afford a ps3). but! - lots of other people have. sony is taking the chance that, come this fall, the 'luxury item ceiling' can be pushed up to $600. they may be wrong. but, given what's gone before, they may well not be...

I'm disappointed because the more I read about this trio, the more I think that this might be the generation I give up on console gaming.

i can't say i'm thrilled about next gen myself, & would be more than happy playing games on the current generation systems for quite a while longer. but i'm done with pc gaming/upgrading for good (another of my sources of ps3 revenue) & really enjoy console gameplay, so, if the gaming gods've decided it's on to next gen (with backward compatibility), then, hell, who'm i to stand in the way of 'progress' (& am i looking forward to mgs4, ffxiii, & whatever fumito ueda comes up with next? - definitely!)...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2006, 10:36:56 PM »

The PS3 is $600.  Fuck that.  $600 is two quarters' worth of books, or two car payments, or anywhere from a month to three months' rent.  

Buy a house- it will help your ratios.  PS3 is less than half my mortgage so its a bargain ! j/k smile

Quote from: "semiconscious"
i can't say i'm thrilled about next gen myself, & would be more than happy playing games on the current generation systems for quite a while longer.

Now this I agree with.  Despite the fact that I already have a 360 and will likely have a PS3 and Wii before the year is out, I do wish the current generation would have lasted longer.  When I look at the PS2 releases still to come like FFXII, Valkyrie Profile 2, Rogue Galaxy, God of War 2, etc it feels like there is still a lot of life there.  

And I'm a bit nervous about next-gen.  There's plenty of stuff to look forward to but the reports of the sheer amount of money and people needed to field just an average next-gen product really makes me nervous that games are going to be shorter and shorter initially and will rely on either "pre planned series" (see Too Human, Mass Effect, Tomb Raider) or downloadable content (everyone else and their mother) to amortize costs with the end result paying signficantly more for the same content.  

And I'm not opposed to short games- many of my favorites are relatively brief affairs (God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Chronicles of Riddick) but they always felt like complete experiences.  I think the Halo 2 ending may very well become the blueprint for next gen (ie non self contained and relatively unsatisfying on its own).
unbreakable
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2006, 12:23:32 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I don't even see the point of putting a Blu-ray drive in the PS3 unless games are going to use the format.  But if that's the case, it really is a bad move by not including HDMI in the cheaper SKU.  
If games remain on regular DVD, they should just leave the Blu-ray drive out and lower the console cost.

If you have been a fan of how Sony deals with technology (and especially technology standards), this move is pure and classic Sony.

Sony wants to either be the holder of the next gen DVD standards, or else have a big slice of it.  This is Betamax, this is MiniDisc, this is Memory Stick.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2006, 08:05:10 PM »

For those comparing a 360 premium + adapter + HDDVD player to a PS3 premium system....

There is one, significant difference... they are optional!

Not everyone cares about next-gen media types, not everyone needs a wireless connection on their console.

Sony is forcing Blu-ray on its customers come hell or high water, regardless of whether or not it goes the way of Beta/Minidiscs/Proprietary memory sticks. I love my PS2 and I love the exclusive, unique games it gets, and FF13/MGS4 do look fantastic. However,  the idea of being forced to pay a premium for a media type I could care less about does not sit well with me (especially given the idea that it may not last more than a year or two).
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2006, 08:12:12 PM »

I just remember the DVD player built into the PS2 sucked for playing movies, as did the XBox's.  I think, if you care about movie quality enough to want a blue-ray or HD-DVD player, you'll buy a stand alone one.  And if you're buying a PS3, you probably do care about the quality of the output.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
unbreakable
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2006, 08:35:31 PM »

Sony may be addressing that.  I am willing to bet the PS3 will have very good DVD player capabilities.

I also know the Cell processor will be pulling duty in more than just the PS3; Sony will reportedly be using it in many (if not most) of their future products.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2006, 09:26:30 PM »

Quote from: "madpeon"
For those comparing a 360 premium + adapter + HDDVD player to a PS3 premium system....

There is one, significant difference... they are optional!

Not everyone cares about next-gen media types, not everyone needs a wireless connection on their console.

Understood that not everyone does, but speaking solely for myself: I do.  So thus, the $600 isn't totally fucking crazy for me.  For others, I totally agree.

That being said, there is NO way Sony doesn't sell every single one of these suckers they produce for launch.  It just won't happen.  There will be lines, there will be mass hysteria, and there will be Ebay scalping.  Guaranteed.

It's momentum after that initial rush, however, I have doubts about.

gellar
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2006, 09:45:04 PM »

I don't even want one, but I may buy one on release just to eBay it.

I won't be surprised at all to see them going for over a grand on ebay mere hours after launch.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
unbreakable
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2006, 10:03:47 PM »

Yeah, I second that.  I'd be more than happy to make eBay profit.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2006, 10:19:29 PM »

I am willing to bet that more intial buyers go the Ebay route because of the 360 hysteria.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: