http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 12:46:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 pricing  (Read 13738 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2006, 12:57:40 PM »

I will buy a Wii before I buy anything else.

I will buy a 360 before I buy a PS3.

I won't buy the PS3 until FFXIII comes out, or a solid price drop.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2006, 12:59:51 PM »

You know, this really hurts Blu-Rays chances as well as a HD movie format. Many studios were counting on a cheap Ps3 to be the "trojan horse" for Blu-Ray....now they just priced themselves right out of that.

If MS comes out with a HD-DVD addon for $99, as rumored, than I can easily see HD-DVD killing Blu-Ray off pretty quickly, since HD-DVD already costs much less than Blu-Ray in the stand alone player world.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2006, 01:03:04 PM »

Definitely out... the 360 will tide me over for some time.

If anything, this now makes the Wii (ugh) more attractive to me.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2006, 01:13:26 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Quote from: "Arkon"
I don't care how hardcore of a gamer I am, pure economics put me out on the PS3 until a significant price drop, and by significant I mean when the premium system hits no more than $399.

I'm with Arkon here.  I am just as hard-core as anyone on this board, but damn if I'm spending 600 bucks on a gaming console.  I just can't justify it.   Maybe Sony will run a everytime10minute like contest for the NA market.  Thats the only way I willhave one at launch

I'm 'hardcore' too, but I have no intention to get a PS3 at launch, largely in part due to the insane price. Could I afford it? Yeah. Do I really want to spend that kind of money? Hell no.

I'll be happily getting a Wii and ~6-8 games for the price of just the 'non-gimped' PS3.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2006, 01:17:21 PM »

NSFW Audio

http://ps3sucksnuts.ytmnd.com/

:lol:

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2006, 01:54:43 PM »

Actually, I don't think the price is insane at all.
Whether you agree or not, for Sony the PS3 is about more than games. It is about Blu-Ray. I think when BR players start showing up on the market, the PS3 will look pretty attractive price-wise. The problem is really that it's a big pill to swallow for those consumers that just want to play games.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2006, 02:04:01 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Whether you agree or not, for Sony the PS3 is about more than games. It is about Blu-Ray. I think when BR players start showing up on the market, the PS3 will look pretty attractive price-wise. The problem is really that it's a big pill to swallow for those consumers that just want to play games.

Except that MS will have a HD-DVD player for $99, which is much better than $600.

Heck, standalone HD-DVD players by that point will be cheaper as well. Sony might have just killed Blu-Ray with this move. The movie studios that are not on the HD-DVD bandwagon yet (Fox and Disney) have got to be pissed....

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2006, 02:08:33 PM »

HOME RUN.

I totally agree with you.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2006, 02:08:42 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
You know, this really hurts Blu-Rays chances as well as a HD movie format. Many studios were counting on a cheap Ps3 to be the "trojan horse" for Blu-Ray....now they just priced themselves right out of that.

If MS comes out with a HD-DVD addon for $99, as rumored, than I can easily see HD-DVD killing Blu-Ray off pretty quickly, since HD-DVD already costs much less than Blu-Ray in the stand alone player world.

Shades of BetaMax all over again. Apparently Sony really doesn't learn from past mistakes. slywink

I agree that this is the magic price point that gamers say "Hell no" to. I agree with the poster above who said that money isn't so much the issue as return on investment is. Paying $600+ for the console, add-ons, and a few games means that I could have bought a Dell for the same cost and used it for e-mail, word processing, and a dozen other things including gaming (both online and off). Also, what happens with the next gen wars start up again five years from now and the PS3 software is really cranked up? How many of us are going to immediately jump at the PS4 then?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2006, 02:09:35 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
They are insane. Alot of you are saying you are out, but I'm sure we will all be talking PS3 games come December.  We are the hardcore just hanging around here. At 600$ they are pretty confident that they have a few killer app's...

FACE IT.

SWALLOW IT.

TASTE IT.

You are going to buy it. This is not Hunting Enthusiast Forums...

But you dont have to like it.

What they have done is price themselves out of the casual gamer.

This Christmas is for the 360 and Wii, mothers wont be able to buy a PS3  and they will get a 360 for cheaper or a Wii.. 2 million worldwide launch which is no where near enough for a system that has close to  100 million pervious generation base.

And Im seeing a whole lot of 360 games coming out for the PS3.. they better have some HOT exclusives for that launch..

I don't care how hardcore of a gamer I am, pure economics put me out on the PS3 until a significant price drop, and by significant I mean when the premium system hits no more than $399.

Arkon, I still believe most of us here will buy one, we are hardcore whores.. I could be wrong.. really wrong, but this is NOT going to be 3DO...

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2006, 02:10:18 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
If the PS2 was any indication, we have a price drop to look forward to before games worth buying the system for are released anyway.

my thoughts exactly..

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2006, 02:41:14 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"

I'm with Arkon here.  I am just as hard-core as anyone on this board, but damn if I'm spending 600 bucks on a gaming console.  I just can't justify it.   Maybe Sony will run a everytime10minute like contest for the NA market.  Thats the only way I willhave one at launch

I am in this boat as well.  I will be waiting.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2006, 02:51:26 PM »

Arkon, I still believe most of us here will buy one, we are hardcore whores.. I could be wrong.. really wrong, but this is NOT going to be 3DO...

I, for one, don't have a 360 yet because of the price.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2006, 02:55:16 PM »

I'm relatively hardcore, but I'm passing on this.  So I guess I'll be in the minority according to your expectations.  biggrin

I am still, however, planning on a launch day purchase of the Wii.  I did so for the Cube and never regretted it; I'm a definite Nintendo fan.  smile

I'm also glad that the Sony presentation only solidified my confidence in my 360 purchase as my secondary console of the next-generation.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2006, 02:58:40 PM »

I'm always a late adopter of consoles.  It's very seldom that there are more than 1-2 launch games that interest me, so I find it's better to wait until there is a) a price drop and b) a stronger game library.  

I had been kicking around the idea of picking up a PS3 at launch.  However, this insane pricing just put me firmly back with the 'I'll wait' crowd.  It saves money in the long run, which is much more important to me.  If MS decides to do a price drop around the time of the PS3 release, then I'm sure I'll pick one up at that point.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2006, 03:06:28 PM »

The problem here is that unless you buy the premium version, that Blu Ray player just became useless for actually watching the movie in high def.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2006, 03:16:28 PM »

man, talk about getting your knickers twisted!...

my math: $400 (no 360) + $100 = ps3

no, the price isn't insane...

while it kinda goes counter to the average member of this forum (you know who you are), i've made it through the current generation without owning or ever wanting to own an xbox. i have no interest in owning a 360. i'm not into online gaming, &, by'n'large, xbox/360 games (shooters, sports) aren't the types of games i play. a ps3, at $100 more than a 360, & if the right games are there, looks just fine to me...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2006, 03:20:30 PM »

They are insane. Alot of you are saying you are out, but I'm sure we will all be talking PS3 games come December.

Ding ding ding!

I don't have a 360 cause of price and I never planned on getting a PS3 at launch other than to ebay it, but I guarantee many of you will be buying a PS3 at launch.

The initial backlash on everything seems to be so overblown bad around here, but we are all SO fickle:

OMG WII?!?!? NO WAY!!!!!

PS3 = 600.00!?!?!?! NO WAY!!!! I'm getting a WII!!!!!!!!!!!

5 months from now: OMG DID YOU SEE XXXXX GAME?! I'm GETTING A PS3.

If PS3 launched for 10.00 with a free Russian Mail Order Bride perfect in features, etiquette,English dialogue and guanteed to show you the true meaning of love, people would be like: OMG 10.00 is TOO TEH CHEAPZOR! THEY'LL LOSE MONAY!! OH AND A  RUSSIAN?! THEY WERE TEH COMMIES! WHY NOT ITALIANOS! I'M GETTING A GIZMONDOR!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2006, 03:41:54 PM »

The problem is playing video games is a hobby for me, not something I'm committed to.  Why would I want to buy a $500 or $600 console from Sony when I could conceivably buy both the 360 and the Wii for the same price?  I don't have a HD TV and I doubt I will for a couple of years.  Blu-ray doesn't matter a bit to me - only the games.  And I still have dozens of games I want to play on my PS2, Gamecube and the Xbox I've considered buying.  Not to mention my DS, PSP and PC....

There's just no point in spending that kind of money right now.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2006, 03:46:50 PM »

As Kevin Grey mentioned above, I think a lot of the complaints would've gone away if Sony just had a HDMI output for it's $499 model. I really don't understand why Sony wouldn't include that output in both models. Is an HDMI slot really that expensive to add?
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2006, 03:53:11 PM »

Except that MS will have a HD-DVD player for $99, which is much better than $600.

Heck, standalone HD-DVD players by that point will be cheaper as well. Sony might have just killed Blu-Ray with this move. The movie studios that are not on the HD-DVD bandwagon yet (Fox and Disney) have got to be pissed....

Yes, and early adopters are saying HD-DVD is going to become the standard while Blu ray becomes the new betamax.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2006, 03:59:44 PM »

They are betting the farm on Blu-Ray....

UMD has FAILED
BETAMAX has FAILED
MD has FAILED wasnt that theirs?

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2006, 04:13:05 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
As Kevin Grey mentioned above, I think a lot of the complaints would've gone away if Sony just had a HDMI output for it's $499 model. I really don't understand why Sony wouldn't include that output in both models. Is an HDMI slot really that expensive to add?

I know that would have made me a LOT happier about this. I am now forced to buy the $599 (if I get one), since I want to be able to use the Blu-Ray player to play movies in HD. You won't be able to do that with the $499 version, making the Blu-Ray pretty much worthless.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2006, 04:14:16 PM »

UMD has FAILED
BETAMAX has FAILED

Yep, it was. Not a very stellar track record.

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2006, 04:15:46 PM »

I was going to go with a PS3, but at $499 just for the "crippled" version?  I think not.  I will probably just say "meh" to the console scene for a while and get a Revolution mainly for the kids.  I wouldn't mind having a 360, and given the PS3 price I am certainly more inclined to buy one, but to tell you the truth there really hasn't been a single game that's made it a "must have" for me.  (Except Oblivion; which looks, plays, and mods better on my PC...)

Maybe it's time to hang out my console controllers and just stick to PC gaming.  $500-$600 would buy some nice upgrades...

Glycerine

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2006, 04:32:31 PM »

Its irrelevent that it will be less than stand alone Blue-ray player prices since they will be well above mass maket prices. Thats the whole point of this. You can look at sales of previous generations of consoles and things like regular DVD players. At certain price points the masses will simply not get it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2006, 04:36:23 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"

I know that would have made me a LOT happier about this. I am now forced to buy the $599 (if I get one), since I want to be able to use the Blu-Ray player to play movies in HD. You won't be able to do that with the $499 version, making the Blu-Ray pretty much worthless.

You know, that's part of the reason for me as well. As I want the option to watch movies in the future (who knows which 'format' I'm gonna support, but I want the option), I have to get the $600 console. That's part of my money issue as well. $600 for a gaming 'console' is just too much.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2006, 04:44:48 PM »

As Zarkon said:

Wii for sure first.

Then a 360.

Then maybe a PS3 when the price is right.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2006, 04:50:49 PM »

Ehhh... I'm still getting one.

I don't like the price, but I'm still getting one.

gellar
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2006, 04:51:07 PM »

Get ready for $1000+ bundles from Best Buy and EB.

Freaking insane. Sony is too full of themselves to realize that they just priced themselves out of the casual gamer market. The first run of units will sell like hotcakes to the early adopters. They'll buy it no matter what the price. After that, who's going to buy one? I can see parents all over the country telling their kids "are you crazy??" when they get asked to get one by their kids.
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2006, 05:03:04 PM »

just fyi on the beta max thing. It's actually a funny story on why vhs beat beta max, and can be summed up in one word .... PORN.  Yep, the porn industry adopted the vhs standard and with porn available only on vhs for the most part, vhs beat beta.   There have been books written on this, and documentaries made.  Just though you should know, porn was the cause of vhs coming into prominence.

As for this ps3 price piont. Yeah it a tough nut to swallow at 600, but you are getting a blue ray hd movie player also, so that may be enough to sway the family into  rationalizing it.  I mean it isn't much different from a $400 360 plus a 100 buck add on.  As always it will come down to titles.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2006, 05:13:11 PM »

Quote from: "tcweidner"
just fyi on the beta max thing. It's actually a funny story on why vhs beat beta max, and can be summed up in one word .... PORN.  ...Yeah it a tough nut to swallow...

:shock:
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2006, 05:25:02 PM »

Quote from: "tcweidner"
just fyi on the beta max thing. It's actually a funny story on why vhs beat beta max, and can be summed up in one word .... PORN.  Yep, the porn industry adopted the vhs standard and with porn available only on vhs for the most part, vhs beat beta.   There have been books written on this, and documentaries made.  Just though you should know, porn was the cause of vhs coming into prominence..

Yeah, that always makes for a lovely "tee-hee, aren't we naughty" story, but the biggest reasons for betamax's failure was the fact that they only stored 1 hour of footage per tape for a long time (way too short for any feature-length film), and JVC opened up the VHS technology to anyone, whereas Sony attempted to keep their system proprietary (sound faimilar?)... this made the decision rather easy for the entire industry, porn and otherwise.

For more info...

http://www.betainfoguide.com/RiseandFall.htm
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2006, 06:49:24 PM »

well sony understood that porn was so crippling to beta max that they have gone out of their way to make sure the psp accepts porn.

"Some consumers are questioning Sony's decision to accept material from adult-content publishers, while others surmise that the company has learned from the war between Betamax and VHS that adult-oriented movies can significantly affect the expansion of a new media format. One of the reasons for the failure of the Betamax format was the explosion of VHS adult movies, since this genre was not given production clearance in Sony's Betamax format"

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/02/news_6126863.html

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2006, 07:12:01 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

$600 is alot of money, don't get me wrong, but it's still 1/4th the cost of a gaming PC.  Provided the PS3 proves it's $600 worth of performance, I could see buying one at that price.

Why is this ridiculous myth still thrown about? Only a clueless fool thinks they need to spen $2500+ for a "gaming PC".
I'm talking about a gaming PC worth a shit.  Sure, you can play Solitarie at 60 FPS on your $200 eMachine, but some of us actually want to play new games, and play them at max settings.

In short, a sub-$2000 gaming PC is the computing equivalent of a tardpack.  Piss, thrash, bitch, and moan all you like, but you're just wasting money in the long run if you don't buy the best hardware you can afford on the market at the time.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2006, 08:33:33 PM »

For me it's all about games.  I have all 3 current gen consoles and I have played the PS2 the most by far because I'm not a big online player and I love 3D platformers.

Unless Insomniac, Naughty Dog and Suckerpunch do a mass exodus, I will be saving up and buying a PS3.  I have to imagine there are other folks in the same position, particularly RPG fans.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2006, 08:40:27 PM »

HOME RUN.

I totally agree with you.

It's not insane when you think of it as a Blue Ray machine, but you have to wonder if Sony attached an anchor to their ankle by making it a core technology for the PS.  If BR was a more mature technology, including it in PS would have been a no brainer.  But by including a brand new tech, with finicky manufacturing requirements, that nearly DOUBLES the price of your last product offering at launch (when you were the undisputed king of the games universe), while your main competition is beating you on price and time-to-market, you really have to start wondering about Sony's committment to BR.

I think the market for games at the ~$300 price point dwarfs the market for High Def video at the ~$600 price point.  Which market should Sony have been aiming at?

The funny thing is that I'm not a fan of Sony's game system.  I've never owned a Play Station.  Blue Ray is the ONLY reason I'm considering getting a PS3, but at $600, I think I'm going to wait and let the format war shake out a little bit.  It really, REALLY doesn't help that Sony is sort of crapping their pants on the high def video side as well, also allowing themselves to be undercut on price and beat to market on that side as well.  PS and BR is beginning to smell like the synergy of doom ....
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2006, 08:54:04 PM »

Oh but wait guys!

Ken Kutaragi says the $599 PS3 is too cheap!!! Can we look forward to a price hike???   :wink:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/706/706133p1.html

Krazy Ken's at it again. Following the surprise pre-E3 announcement of the PlayStation 3 price, Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi spoke with Japan's IT Media and offered up this beauty: "It's probably too cheap."

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Seriously Sony, are you trying to lose all your fans or something?

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2006, 09:13:55 PM »

"Unless Insomniac, Naughty Dog and Suckerpunch do a mass exodus"
Unfortunately, Insomniac is doing a WW2/alien FPS and Naughty Dog is apparently working on a 3rd person action game (although it could be along the lines of the Jak games).

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2006, 09:19:39 PM »

UMD has FAILED
BETAMAX has FAILED

actually, MiniDisc was a very popular medium in Europe; it just never caught on state-side. Not as successful as DVD mind you.

Ultimately I agree though.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: