http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:04:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 pricing  (Read 13741 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2006, 02:09:34 AM »

Well, the pricing for the PS3 was announced per the front page here to be $499 and $599.  Looks like I am out for PS3.

Edit to add...

Frontpage Link
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 02:12:46 AM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Well, the pricing for the PS3 was announced per the front page here to be $499 and $599.  Looks like I am out for PS3.

So...the 360 was $399, the Wii will be cheap (at least based on nothing but rumor and expectations), and the PS3 will be $499? Good lord.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
triggercut
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 02:16:49 AM »

If I'm MS, I'm doing a price drop on the 360 in October, just to twist the knife a little more.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 02:17:25 AM »

Quote from: "triggercut"
If I'm MS, I'm doing a price drop on the 360 in October, just to twist the knife a little more.

Yeah, I can see it happening

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 02:33:48 AM »

I don't think MS can afford to drop the price, and why would they? They're already $100 dollars cheaper than the main competition.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 02:37:22 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I don't think MS can afford to drop the price, and why would they? They're already $100 dollars cheaper than the main competition.

If they drop the price on the core system to $250 and the premium to $300, they can tackle Sony by positioning both of their SKU's to be literally HALF the price of Sony's equivalent SKU's.

And if Nintendo gets the Wii on the market in the $150-$200 range, they can claim they're a THIRD of the PS3's price.

That kind of comparison won't be lost on parents looking to buy systems for their children, or on the casual market (the market that makes up most of gaming today).

Plus, as much as I want to see Nintendo succeed, if the Wii launches at $200 and the 360 is available with its SKU's at $250 and $300, it'll make the Wii that much more of a hard sell to the graphics & graphic violence whores.  slywink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 02:37:37 AM »

20GB HDD SKU - no HDMI, no memory card, no WiFi

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/060509ae.pdf

What a joke. So $600 for the real version....

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 02:49:44 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

+ one game + tax = $700 minimum.  Ouch.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 02:51:43 AM »

Nice job, Sony. Good luck trying to sell your precious PS3. I had high hopes, but they're seriously shooting themselves in the foot ... make that both feet. It's just amazing to me how rediculously expensive gaming has become.

I already balked at the $400 price tag for a 360 (which I bought anyway), but $500-$600 is just plain preposterous, no matter how you spin it.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 02:51:55 AM »

(credit to Sparhawk in the picture thread)

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 02:55:07 AM »

who wants to bet that they sell these things like hotcakes, I can see idiots.. er  I mean gamers and parents taking out small loans for their uber-bundles-of joy and gaming love.

Console $600
Game $60
Extra Controller $50
Va Sales Tax $35.50

that's $750 bucks

For that I could get the 360 and the Wii and a game for each, or the Wii and like 10 games, or the 360 and 5 games. That's a big value differential.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 02:55:13 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"

+ one game + tax = $700 minimum.  Ouch.

when i bought my 360, i walked out with the Premium system, Play & Charge, and three games for about $615...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 02:55:22 AM »

Oh and because the vibration we've all loved so much throughout the entire PS1 and PS2 generations somehow "interferes" with the silly new gyro functions it has - the PS3 controller will no longer have any vibration function at all.

Yay.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 02:56:33 AM »

I am now happy with my decision to get a 360 with the Wii as a secondary system.

Of course, once Nov. 17th approaches and the marketing machine is in full swing, I'm sure some of us will start to crack just a little bit. But I resolve to be strong!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 03:03:35 AM »

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 03:07:05 AM »

I flat out can't afford to buy a PS3. It's not like I'm going, "I really, really shouldn't ... but I know I'm picking one up at launch, 'cause I'm so naughty." No, I would literally have to starve myself of food for, like, a month and a half, just to be able to pick one up. So, no PS3 for me, period.

Or, come November, I'll have discovered the best weight loss program evar.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 03:17:40 AM »

Seeing how I don't know anyone nice enough to give me a PS3 as a Christmas gift, I'd be spending all my own dough.  Along with all the other gifts I have to buy that time of year, it's a near impossibility for me to get a PS3 at launch time.  

Sorry Sony.  Hello Wii!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 03:24:27 AM »

I never thought I'd say this, but they finally priced me out of the market.  This will be the first console launch that I've ever missed, but I just can't spend $700+ on a PS3 and then buy the new Nintendo system as well.  I've got three kids and the Nintendo system takes top priority in my house.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 03:36:24 AM »

No way I can afford that.  Even if Sony manages to have something really good for launch games... not happening.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 03:50:54 AM »

Out no way I'm spending that much on a Ps3 very happy with my 360 at the moment.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 03:56:56 AM »

PS3 = 3D0?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 04:05:07 AM »

If the PS2 was any indication, we have a price drop to look forward to before games worth buying the system for are released anyway.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 04:17:22 AM »

I'm glad I really enjoy my 360 cause there is no way I will be able to afford that.  Unless I land a good paying job.  Even then, it would be hard to swing.  Maybe I will just have to get my first credit card!  Yeah right.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 04:51:08 AM »

I will buy this system on the first possible minute of the first day it launches.

Of course I'm kidding, its just no one has really said something like that in this thread before.

I will get one eventually but I'm not waking up early for no console.

I do that with ever console. I dont see the point in having one within the first year of release. I didnt get a PS2 until 2 years after it was out. I have like a V9 and that was the first one I purchased.

No I dont own a 360(Alot of you probabaly just shit yourselves, "How will he survive with no PS3 or 360?")

Well I'll just get by. Until that day comes when I go out and buy a V9 PS3. And I can pick up a used 360 for 10 bucks.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 05:17:25 AM »

I just can't believe they'd do something that stupid. But the truth is there in the PR piece. If you don't spend $600 on a gaming console, you get no easy way to transfer save files (sorry, I don't want to drag that HD anywhere), no Wi-Fi (not that bad, as you had to spend $100 on the 360 to get the 'official' one), and you get utterly gimped Blu-Ray (as without the HDMI port, you only get to watch your movies at 480p).

Terrible, terrible move, Sony. As I said in the other thread - I'll only buy this console at launch to eBay it. And I doubt I'll do even that, as the whole '2 million consoles at launch worldwide' means that you'll see like one console per store (especially considering that the Japanese will actually buy this thing, unlike they did with the 360).

The 3DO2 anyone?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 05:33:27 AM »

"20GB HDD SKU - no HDMI, no memory card, no WiFi
What a joke. So $600 for the real version.... "

Not that $500 isn't high, but unlike the XBox360 core system, you actually get a fully playable system.  I have no need for HD or WiFi and with a hard drive, there's no need for a memory card.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 05:49:08 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
The 3DO2 anyone?
I doubt it.  The PS3's either going to prove it's significantly better than the 360 (to justify its cost), or it's going to get a price drop right quick to remain competitive.

$600 is alot of money, don't get me wrong, but it's still 1/4th the cost of a gaming PC.  Provided the PS3 proves it's $600 worth of performance, I could see buying one at that price.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 05:56:11 AM »

Well, I'll just have to somehow save up a $700 and get one. It might not be at launch but I have to have one to play MGS4. It's that simple for me. Plus, if the PS2's game catalog is any indication, further into the PS3s life, there will be so many great games to play, that by that time it won't matter how much you paid for it, if you're a gamer. That's my opinion, anyway.

My smile still stays on.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 06:08:17 AM »

the nintendo was always second priority after 360 anyway...it was never ps3.....only 2 games that i keep my old ps2 for,and thats final fantasies..and metal gears

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 06:40:08 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

$600 is alot of money, don't get me wrong, but it's still 1/4th the cost of a gaming PC.  Provided the PS3 proves it's $600 worth of performance, I could see buying one at that price.

Why is this ridiculous myth still thrown about? Only a clueless fool thinks they need to spen $2500+ for a "gaming PC".
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2006, 10:50:02 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
"20GB HDD SKU - no HDMI, no memory card, no WiFi
What a joke. So $600 for the real version.... "

Not that $500 isn't high, but unlike the XBox360 core system, you actually get a fully playable system.  I have no need for HD or WiFi and with a hard drive, there's no need for a memory card.

Don't forget totally gimped Blu Ray.  The 360 core system is perfectly playable.  Yes you need a memory card to save games, but it is still perfectly playable out of the box.

My curiousity is... if the games are all on Blu Ray disc, does this mean playing games on the core version they will look like ass as they are downscaled?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2006, 10:58:23 AM »

By "fully playable" I meant that the XBox360 core system is worthless without a $40 memory card, while the core PS3 system doesn't require an additional purchase.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2006, 11:17:45 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
By "fully playable" I meant that the XBox360 core system is worthless without a $40 memory card, while the core PS3 system doesn't require an additional purchase.

You are right, but then again you can get the premium 360 for $100 less then the gimped piece of shit core PS3 system so I guess it is a moot point.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2006, 11:30:10 AM »

So... why do you think Sony is doing this?

Are they banking that their sales in Japan will be so high, they could care less about the Western markets at launch?  Or do they really think Americans will pay these ridiculous prices?

I have alot of friends that are gamers, and like me, are at a point in their life where money really isn't a big issue.  Value for the dollar however, is a big issue.  I don't think any of my friends (including myself) would even remotely consider purchasing a PS3 without the aforementioned price drop that will inevitably be coming.

OUT!  (like way, way, way out.)

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2006, 11:34:11 AM »

I'll wait till they announce the PS4 and drop the PS3's price to $129.

$600?  Fuck that.  Sony just sold me a 360.

And in a year once the PS3 is out I could hobble together a pretty great gaming PC for $600-700.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2006, 11:47:32 AM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
So... why do you think Sony is doing this?

Are they banking that their sales in Japan will be so high, they could care less about the Western markets at launch?  Or do they really think Americans will pay these ridiculous prices?

I have alot of friends that are gamers, and like me, are at a point in their life where money really isn't a big issue.  Value for the dollar however, is a big issue.  I don't think any of my friends (including myself) would even remotely consider purchasing a PS3 without the aforementioned price drop that will inevitably be coming.

OUT!  (like way, way, way out.)

See that's the thing here.  I can easily afford either version of the PS3, as can a lot of other people I know.  The thing is, and we knew it was going to happen, is how much is too much for a console gaming system?  I think Sony just found the answer.  

Apparently, a lot of gamers have a price point in their head that they just won't pay for a new console.  It looks like a lot of people's price point has been found.  Several forums I have been to are just overrun with posts saying they simply will not pay that much for a gaming console.  The reality of it is that Sony has priced the high end version about $100 too high.  I'm pretty sure that if their 60 gig system was $499, there would be a lot more people saying they would buy one.

And 60 gigs begs the question.  Why?  How many of us never saw any less than 50,000 blocks free on their Xbox?  How many of us have even put a dent in the 360 hard drive?  So why 60 gigs?  Why not have high end version that comes with a 20 gig hard drive for $100 less?  It just doesn't make sense to charge people for all of this hard drive space when  all we really use it for is game saves.

I think Sony would be wise to delay the US launch until spring 2007.  That way most people would have tax returns in their hands and maybe could justify $600 for a console a little easier.  As it stands, November is too close to Christmas to be dropping that kind of coin on a luxury item and $600 is just too much.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2006, 12:18:10 PM »

In a change from the 360 (where I the core pack was never an option for me), I'll actually be getting the "gimped" version of the PS3.  My gaming TV only supports 1080i and isn't a part of my home theater so the lack of 1080p/HDMI for Bluray movies is a non issue for me.  Plus my router is only six feet from my game consoles so a wired connection is what I would use anyway.  

That said, it's a completely idiotic decision by Sony and I'm truly baffled.  Mainly because I can't see why they didn't suck it up and make HDMI standard.  If they had done that and still left out wireless and the 60 gig HDD (but kept the 20 gig as standard) I don't think you'd be seeing 3/4 of the complaints.  I think most people were conditioned to expect $499 already.

My curiousity is... if the games are all on Blu Ray disc, does this mean playing games on the core version they will look like ass as they are downscaled?

No.  The core system will still output at least 1080i for games and possibly even 1080p (I'm a little fuzzy on the technical capability to output 1080p via analog).  The reason HDMI is required for Bluray movie playback has nothing to do with the Bluray tech itself and everything to do with movie studios demands that there be a way to copy protect high def signals.  So far none of the studios have opted to use the flag for current HD-DVD releases and no-one has committed to using it for Bluray but opted is the key word here because the  studios could change their minds later.  So anyone without HDMI capablity on their HD-DVD/Bluray system risks the studios removing that HD option at a later date.  That's what has everyone so curious about MS's HD-DVD add-on since it will also require some sort of HDMI port which doesn't exist now on the 360.  

But the important point is that this is all movie studio driven.  I'm not even sure if it's possible to encrypt a game signal on the fly with HDCP, and even if it was, it would be utterly pointless.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2006, 12:18:51 PM »

They are insane. Alot of you are saying you are out, but I'm sure we will all be talking PS3 games come December.  We are the hardcore just hanging around here. At 600$ they are pretty confident that they have a few killer app's...

FACE IT.

SWALLOW IT.

TASTE IT.

You are going to buy it. This is not Hunting Enthusiast Forums...

But you dont have to like it.

What they have done is price themselves out of the casual gamer.

This Christmas is for the 360 and Wii, mothers wont be able to buy a PS3  and they will get a 360 for cheaper or a Wii.. 2 million worldwide launch which is no where near enough for a system that has close to  100 million pervious generation base.

And Im seeing a whole lot of 360 games coming out for the PS3.. they better have some HOT exclusives for that launch..

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2006, 12:41:31 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
They are insane. Alot of you are saying you are out, but I'm sure we will all be talking PS3 games come December.  We are the hardcore just hanging around here. At 600$ they are pretty confident that they have a few killer app's...

FACE IT.

SWALLOW IT.

TASTE IT.

This Christmas is for the 360 and Wii, mothers wont be able to buy a PS3  and they will get a 360 for cheaper or a Wii.. 2 million worldwide launch which is no where near enough for a system that has close to  100 million pervious generation base.

And Im seeing a whole lot of 360 games coming out for the PS3.. they better have some HOT exclusives for that launch..

I don't care how hardcore of a gamer I am, pure economics put me out on the PS3 until a significant price drop, and by significant I mean when the premium system hits no more than $399.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2006, 12:47:59 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"

FACE IT.

SWALLOW IT.

TASTE IT.

I don't care how hardcore of a gamer I am, pure economics put me out on the PS3 until a significant price drop, and by significant I mean when the premium system hits no more than $399.

I'm with Arkon here.  I am just as hard-core as anyone on this board, but damn if I'm spending 600 bucks on a gaming console.  I just can't justify it.   Maybe Sony will run a everytime10minute like contest for the NA market.  Thats the only way I willhave one at launch

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: