http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 10:37:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 price rumor: $600!?  (Read 2193 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2006, 12:10:36 AM »

From IGN:

---------------
The word is out. Yesterday, Vice President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe George Fornay let the PS3's European price slip. According to Fornay, the PS3 will cost between 499 and 599 euros. That translates to between $613 and $736 for us in the States.

Sony has been saying that the PS3 will be expensive for months now, and Fornay followed up his blunder by insisting that these price points are a quality deal for a Blu-ray player. Nevertheless, all previous attempts at selling videogame consoles at this price point have been rather dramatic failures, even when the systems incorporated 'new' multimedia features.

There may be some hope for lower price points in America. The European market generally gets screwed in consumer electronics, like the $299 iPod selling in Europe for 299…euros. That's a huge difference. Will we see the PS3 launch in the States at $499? Let's hope so, or else we'll be looking at the 360 to carry the industry for the next 5 years.

Sony has recently stated that Fornay was making completely personal statements and speculation, and that the announcement is in no way official. On the other hand, they said the very same thing after Sir Howard Stringer, President of Sony, let slip to Variety, of all places, that the PS3 would be delayed until this fall. It would seem that Sony executives need a refresher course in minding their tongues when speaking to the press.
-----------

$500 would be pushing it BIG-TIME for me, seriously who the hell wants to pay half a grand for a console? There's no way I'd pay any more than that. Luckily for us in the States that its true electronics are overpriced in Europe, so hopefully the North American price point will be much lower. Still, things are looking pretty grim for those not hoping to have to pay more than they did for the 360. If Sony doesn't pull off a phenomenal list of games the first year I'll be waiting for the price drop before I buy the system (ah, who am I kidding I'll still buy one on launch day because I work at a game store and I won't be able to help myself  :cry: ).

This is my theory: Sony will release the PS3 at $499, of course we know they are only shipping 1 million units world-wide so the first shipment will sell out immediately (because we are, in fact, a nation that spends more than it earns!) and shortages will plague retailers for the following 4-6 months. The huge demand for the system will motivate those who normally wouldn't put down $500 for any video game console to buy the system so it will continue to sell out and the shortage will carry on until close to if not right into the next holiday season at which point Sony will announce a price reduction of $50 or perhaps release a stripped down system at $400.

That's just my theory  :roll:

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 02:09:13 AM »

Shit that's insane, but so were people buying 360's for over $900 on Ebay.  I think Sony took notice.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 02:52:49 AM »

No big deal, since your getting a basically a home computer and a game console in one. With this thing they call Blu-Ray.

Sounds like a good deal...........

But dont expect to see me at the store on launch day, or even a year after launch day.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 04:05:21 AM »

I remember seeing ads in the paper for people selling Nintendo 64's for $800 when there was a shortage, at least rip-off prices haven't gone up slywink

Sean Lama
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 06:10:42 AM »

$600? Don't think so.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 06:58:27 AM »

i am very happy with my xbox 360,and with the rumours that nintendo's new baby will be cheap,i am in no rush for sony's new machine(cant say that there are that many games i am still interested in over at the sony corner(metal gears and final fantasies..thats it)

As for the new battle over HD-DVD and BLU-RAY...i think it will still be tough for both of them to finally take down original DVDs(not saying it wont happen,just saying that it wont happen over night)
look at mini-discs,they didnt last,even though you could store more on one of them than a CD,because CDs had such a wide following and they were cheaper to produce,same with DVDs

when it comes to video games,if a game comes on two discs,because of its size its no big deal....i think it will be a long time until HD-DVDs or BLU-RAY s are taken full advantage of..which ever wins..because games that size that the two formats are boasting,just aren't made(theres very few games that come on 2 discs....remember FF10 was only one disc)

...but if $500 is a decent price for a BLU-RAY,then i am quite happy to stick with DVDs :lol:

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 12:49:58 PM »

Quote from: "metallicorphan"
when it comes to video games,if a game comes on two discs,because of its size its no big deal....i think it will be a long time until HD-DVDs or BLU-RAY s are taken full advantage of..which ever wins..because games that size that the two formats are boasting,just aren't made(theres very few games that come on 2 discs....remember FF10 was only one disc)

I don't think it's about the games, though, its about the movies. HD movies.

My guess all along has been that PS3 would be 499 or 599 in the US. I think you're going to see Sony pitching PS3 not simply as a game machine, but as a home media machine (i.e. with heavy emphasis on the hd movie aspect). A lot of parents might not be willing to but lil Johnny a 600 (possibly more) toy to play games but just might for a newfangled DVD player. And oh yeah, Johnny can play games on it too.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 02:31:41 PM »

And how many homes have an HDTV ? That's a very niche market, and it takes some suckering to get people to buy it.

We'll see.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 03:03:11 PM »

at that price point, i'll be getting an AMD X2 64 bit processor and motherboard.  

the xbox360 made me struggle with my wallet to the point where a Best Buy clerk had to physically restrain me as a "customer rep professional" extracted the cash with forceps.  and that was 400 bucks.  600 or more?

not..a...chance.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 03:15:02 PM »

Sony's already saying that the price comments are a mistranslation and are denying that the VP made those comments. While this smacks of damage control, I honestly can't see the PS3 being released for over $500.

I remember all the predictions about how the PSP would be $400 - $500 before it was released.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 03:39:58 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
And how many homes have an HDTV ?

A LOT of them... according to a couple of 360 Fanz/Revolution bashers on this forum.   :roll:

I agree with you though in that I believe it's still a niche market. It will continue to be that way too if potential buyers have to save their extra spending money for the PS3.

$299 is my max for a console. Not that I can't pay it, but I WON'T pay it. $550+? That's criminal.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 04:21:18 PM »

I think its suicide. My limit is 499. which I think is too much... maybe the market will allow it what do I know.. but this is getting to be too much at 600-700$ no way.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 04:36:44 PM »

There are already so many good games that I haven't even played yet.  I could literally spend the next year or two catching up on games I've already bought.

I doubt I'll buy either the PS3 or the 360 anytime soon.  And if the PS3 costs over $400 then I doubt I ever get it.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 04:43:37 PM »

Sony has got to be insane if they think people are going to shell out $600+ for the system, no matter what it does.

Wow, if it comes in at anything over $499, than they are going to be crushed by MS this generation. I'll buy it if it is under $500, but I am insane when it comes to buying new systems. If they think the general public is going to go nuts over it, even at $499, they need to get their heads checked.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 04:44:28 PM »

I threw in with a 360 for my "expensive" console this generation.  I was already planning on passing on the PS3 for a variety of reasons, and now I'm particularly glad I did so.  slywink

I'll enjoy my next-gen gaming on my Revolution and my 360, thank you very much.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 07:19:15 PM »

See, if the PS3 upconverts DVD to HD dvd playing it may be worth it for me. Maybe. And it's unlikely it will; they want blu-ray market adoption and figure this is the way to force-feed the market.

There is A LOT MORE dvd players than PS2s out there, and the price difference in today's market is staggering.

As far as online is concerned they're doing the "it'll be the same as live, except better. And my daddy can beat up Gate's daddy any day of the week so nyah!". That isn't to say that PSLIVE won't be good, or better than MSLIVE, but I've been burned by Sony too many times to believe the PR spin.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
bluvasa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 07:50:13 PM »

I agree with those who say that if Sony doesn't come in at $499 or less, they are going to have real trouble.  Hardcore gamers won't bat an eyelash at that price, but soccer moms definitely will.  Sony is definitely better at the hype-machine than MS, but the bottom line for the vast majority of consumers, is not high tech outputs and disc formats, but it is the price.

There will also be a massive shortage, probably worse than with the 360.  I got mine on day one, but it took my friends 6 months to even see one in a store.  Sony will definitely have the same problems, especially if they attempt a world-wide launch.

As for HD video playback:  Even as an above average a/v enthusiast, I'm still not ready for HD-DVDs or Blu-ray.  Sony is really going to push Blu-ray, but it still has its disadvantages.  The uncertainty of a future disc format is enough for me, to not pay a premium for either Toshiba's or Sony's hardware.

I'll be surprised if Sony releases at $600.  It makes sense from a hardware standpoint, high tech components drive up their costs, but I doubt consumers will take the hit willingly.  It seems like the Revolution and 360 will definitely capitalize if Sony that expensive.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 09:14:13 PM »

$600 = OUT OUT OUT!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2006, 10:22:10 PM »

Yeah, I am out at that price too.  I will definitely get one, but only after a few price drops.  I got a PS2 at $150 new and it was the best console purchase of my life.  Don't see why it should change this next time around.  Eventually, they all drop and when it does I will be there.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2006, 10:37:48 PM »

Yea at that price I'm out too I would'nt  pay more than what I paid for my 360 hell I could upgrade my pc nicely for the price of a ps3 for $600.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2006, 10:39:06 PM »

I'd like to be OUT! but I'm probably still IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 11:51:04 PM »

I was considering waiting for the PS3 to come out, but at that price I think I'll just pick up a cheap PS2 and upgrade my PC.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2006, 05:19:57 AM »

i will wait 6 months when the company are struggling.....and then i can take advantage of them.....HA HA

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2006, 01:20:15 PM »

I've never bought a system at launch cause I rarely like any launch titles.  I was thinking of getting the PS3 for a upgrade to my old PS2..but I'm better off just buying a slim one and waiting a couple of years.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2006, 06:16:14 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
There are already so many good games that I haven't even played yet.  I could literally spend the next year or two catching up on games I've already bought.

I doubt I'll buy either the PS3 or the 360 anytime soon.  And if the PS3 costs over $400 then I doubt I ever get it.

^^ what he said.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2006, 10:03:10 PM »

I haven't bought a 360 yet partly because I've only had my original Xbox for a little over a year, but even more because so many of the games are $60.

I really want to get a PS3 at launch because I've had my PS2 for quite a while and I love 3D platformers, which tend to be exclusive to Sony. I don't have a big problem paying a little more for the console, but I am going to have to think hard about it if all of the new titles cost $60.  I have a hard enough time paying $50 for a game, and I rarely will.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2006, 11:45:47 PM »

The sad part about this is the system is still going to sell out completely, it doesn't matter what price they release the console the first year, Sony will sell every single unit in record time, I can say this in confidence because I probably get about 5-10 questions per 8 hour shift at GameStop asking if we are taking pre-orders on the PS3.

The 360 is gonna face stiff competition against the PS3 the first year (although software sales on the 360 will probably be higher) but I think after that its going to level out a bit and be a close battle for the first-place position this generation.

Sean Lama
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 12:08:30 AM »

Quote from: "Ridah"
The sad part about this is the system is still going to sell out completely, it doesn't matter what price they release the console.

Your right, addicts need their fix, right? Tongue

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 01:00:12 AM »

Sad but true, but I must admit that I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel of this addiction.  Overall interest in all things gaming is quickly waning.  I think the old mid-life crisis is on its way or something.

But I do agree that no matter the price, they will sell out big time.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2006, 03:17:43 AM »

Sad but true, but I must admit that I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel of this addiction. Overall interest in all things gaming is quickly waning. I think the old mid-life crisis is on its way or something.

Wouldn't that mean you would want to splurge and become "that cool older guy" that owns the hard to afford, hard to find PS3? slywink

Sean Lama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: