http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:42:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 price drop?  (Read 20030 times)
Eduardo X
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 17, 2007, 02:34:09 AM »

Is it crazy that I'm seriously getting a  PSTriple now that they're $100 cheaper?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: July 17, 2007, 03:30:12 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on July 17, 2007, 02:34:09 AM

Is it crazy that I'm seriously getting a  PSTriple now that they're $100 cheaper?
No, it's crazy that you're sending that money to another faceless, heartless corporate monolith when you could be using it to support indie developers not beholden to the man. slywink

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 17, 2007, 03:46:53 AM »

so you're getting one for $399?    icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: July 17, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »

New rumors.  (yay...)  This time from Game Informer, which has been both very right, and very wrong, well like any other publication I suppose.

This time it's a 40gb PS3 for $400.  Stripped down much like the 20gb version, no wireless, and something about no backwards compatability.  I think by the no BC thing it means no emotion engine, however Sony is working on emulation of PS2 games and the PS1 game emulation is working well.  Seems to me to disable all emulation would take more work than just leaving only software emulation.  I'm not sure how they could drop it any further other than

Sony's Karraker responds, "We won't be making any further announcements regarding our PS3 model hardware strategy in North America until the 60GB model is exhausted and market conditions are evaluated."

This goes against their single price point statement, so most likely it's not happening, unless SCE gets past some internal squabbling.

Well known analysts, are saying that Sony couldn't possibly get rid of the $500 price point for the 60gb model now that the cat is out of the bag.  The 20gb jump was one thing with such a pared down system, but with the full 60gb version set at that price point, there's really no going back unless Sony wants to face harsh backlash and perhaps lawsuits.  Not to mention just plain stupidity.

Word is Sony Computer Entertainment is going to use the sales data from this drop to make a case to Sony Corporate as to why they should just keep the damn thing at $500 and try to go less, politics with other bluray players be damned.  It would also seem they're desperate to keep the MGS and FF13 exclusive, since the Konami and Square execs have expressed disappointment.  Say what you will about those other lost exclusives or MGS, losing FF13 might not be Sony's death, but it'd lose possibly millions of system sales.

Why does this rumor have cred beyond just Game Informer (which is owned by Gamestop)?  Well because Microsoft has started dropping hints of a price drop for the holiday, likely in step with the introduction of the new internal hardware.  That price drop, which will likely be that $50-$80 price drop rumored before, will kill the PS3 outright.  The core 360 would be half the price of a PS3, have more games, may not have as much features, but will play games that are there and now.  Specifically Halo 3 for shooter fans.

Oh, and Buatha posts an interesting article on why Sony's insidious strategy seems so alien to gamers.  Which explains a lot of the seemingly boneheaded decisions, and the possibility of internal squabbling within Sony.  Reposted here:
http://www.blackfriarsinc.com/blog/2007/07/sony-playstation-3-price-cut-isn-about
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: July 17, 2007, 12:02:45 PM »

Maybe the giant crab-fighting game will save them. slywink

I kid, I kid. They would have been better to announce the shift of manufacture FIRST, and then announce that they were going to liquidate their old stock.

[/serious]
Maybe rent a monkey and a used car parking lot to announce it too.
It would HAVE to be at Krazy Kens Discount BD Player Emporium though. icon_lol

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 17, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »

No. It's awesome. Its a great system and the best dvd/brd/home entertainment unit thingy you could buy. Get it and enjoy it and just undertsand that its giong to be late august before the rush of the real great titles start hitting the platform. If you are OK with that you will love it Eddie.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 17, 2007, 02:19:30 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 17, 2007, 08:12:00 AM

This time it's a 40gb PS3 for $400.  Stripped down much like the 20gb version, no wireless, and something about no backwards compatability.  I think by the no BC thing it means no emotion engine, however Sony is working on emulation of PS2 games and the PS1 game emulation is working well.  Seems to me to disable all emulation would take more work than just leaving only software emulation.  I'm not sure how they could drop it any further other than

even at $400 the no BC would be deal killer for me.  I guess there's just no satisfying me  crybaby  I wonder if I can arrange to have one 'fall off the back of a truck'......

Because I can,
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 18, 2007, 03:56:21 AM »

Really, the only thing making me want a PS3 is the bc, and I know I'll regret it a few years down the road when I still have to have my PS2 around to play my favorite games.

But, wow do I hate Sony.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: July 18, 2007, 04:09:41 AM »

Uh, you guys realize that the rumor is likely incorrect on that part right?  Hard to hate Sony on a rumor.

Let me restate what I said above.  They probably just remove the emotion engine, and focus on software emulation just like the 360 is doing, and you know what?  The 360 emulation is going somewhat slowly, but it's certainly progressing.  They currently have the PS1 emulation going pretty well.  Although that's mainly because they can be a bit more blunt force with that emulator relying on the speed of the PS3 to power through any performance issues from unoptimized code.

Secondly, it's very, very unlikely they'll remove BC on the whole because that'd take more effort to do than simply leaving the software emulation in.

Lastly, they explicitly stated that one of the marketing paths to PS3 ownership they're pushing is upgrading PS2 users, over time, to the PS3 by both having backwards compatability so they can play their old games, and continuing the Sony first party exclusives.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: July 18, 2007, 11:19:47 AM »

Turtle, I'm only going to say this once....

when you flame your competitor publicly and repeatedly for not having 100% backwards compatibility, then put it in your product with close to 100%, and then yank it from at least one launch market (EU), and then force the rest of the markets to go to the currently less-than 50% compatibility before your software is ready is just plain crazy.

If they had must-have titles that were selling the system, then go for it. The fact is that they don't; their interim BC solution has been working to ensure PS3 owners have AAA titles to play, albiet PS2 titles. They should be leaving it in *until* they have a better software emu mode. Their competitor was bound by hardware platform restrictions and paying licensing to another company... what's Sony's excuse? Additional cost? They should have thought about that before pushing their device into the next media war. By burning new customers right off the hop and not having a burgeoning library of PS3 titles, the big market draw is to be able to play your old games.

Keep in mind that most (if not all) of the people here play the PS3 w. a PS2 in it. Look to europe where they don't even have THAT. The 360 is comparable in it's BC to the 80GB PS3. But it's an old promise right, so they don't have to keep it?

As to your first comment, which rumour are you referring to? The potential price drop in the future? I'm not mad about them holding off on a price-drop; I'm annoyed with the crap they just pulled at e3. It's the same thing over and over. Wait for the other shoe to fall; they've played this game before.

Make a statement that isn't entirely true (*cough*rendered on game engine != gameplay footage), and then step back into the shadows after you've ridden the media circus for 2 days with a brief "correction". :/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 11:21:55 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 18, 2007, 03:10:23 PM »

wait a minute?  you want to hold Sony to standards?  that's crazy talk!  Tongue

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2007, 03:26:33 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 18, 2007, 11:19:47 AM

Turtle, I'm only going to say this once....

when you flame your competitor publicly and repeatedly for not having 100% backwards compatibility, then put it in your product with close to 100%, and then yank it from at least one launch market (EU), and then force the rest of the markets to go to the currently less-than 50% compatibility before your software is ready is just plain crazy.

It would be worth breaking the backwards compatibility promise if was part of a strategy to bring the price down.  Desperate times, and all.  Cut out the wifi, the card reader, the emotion engine, don't include a video, USB, or ethernet cable, hell maybe even cut HDMI, do whatever you can to get a $399 pricetag so people might actually start buying your system.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 18, 2007, 05:10:31 PM »

Heck, take out the controller too, since everyone seems to be giving one away with the system anyway.

TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: July 18, 2007, 05:56:33 PM »

I saw a report in a business paper talking about brand image etc.  There was just a large US national poll taken and the data shows the three largest , well recognized, and popular and respected brands in US are
1) Coca cola
2) SONY
3) Toyota

Sony will be fine.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 18, 2007, 06:11:33 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on July 18, 2007, 05:56:33 PM

I saw a report in a business paper talking about brand image etc.  There was just a large US national poll taken and the data shows the three largest , well recognized, and popular and respected brands in US are
1) Coca cola
2) SONY
3) Toyota

Sony will be fine.

All three of those companies have had failed products.  I'm not sure what your point is.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 18, 2007, 06:14:20 PM »

Sony's image is largely based off their consumer products aside from their consoles, I would imagine.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 18, 2007, 07:09:12 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 18, 2007, 06:14:20 PM

Sony's image is largely based off their consumer products aside from their consoles, I would imagine.

Uh, not really. The PS1 and the PS2 were almost universally loved. The PS3 is getting a lot of bad press now (and deservedly so), but I would guess that it takes longer than a couple of months to completely change the perception of a company nationwide.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: July 19, 2007, 01:02:08 AM »

PS1s had hardware failures as bad as the 360; the first couple hardware iterations of the PS2 were almost as bad.

Unlike MS, Sony said "suck it up". There was a worldwide poll taken about 15 years ago, and Bruce Lee and Scoobydoo were the most recognized characters in film. Look where they are today. Hell, everyone knows Exxon, and EuroDisney. Famous changes to infamous with 2 little letters. O and J, for instance.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 19, 2007, 03:16:17 AM »

Quote from: Purge on July 19, 2007, 01:02:08 AM

PS1s had hardware failures as bad as the 360; the first couple hardware iterations of the PS2 were almost as bad.

Eh? I don't recall hardware failures on either system being anywhere close to what we have with the 360. I know that there were issues with some PS2s, but most of those (as far as I know) occured many years after they were purchased. Did either system have the sort of systemic hardware failures that we've seen in the 360, only 18 months or so after launch?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 19, 2007, 03:31:45 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on July 19, 2007, 03:16:17 AM

Eh? I don't recall hardware failures on either system being anywhere close to what we have with the 360. I know that there were issues with some PS2s, but most of those (as far as I know) occured many years after they were purchased. Did either system have the sort of systemic hardware failures that we've seen in the 360, only 18 months or so after launch?

some info on:

PS1 issues
PS2 issues

nothing about failure rates though.  The PS2 issues were fixed by Sony but apparently only after a class action law suit.  MS was smart and didn't let things go that far.

Because I can,
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 19, 2007, 04:48:48 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 19, 2007, 03:31:45 AM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on July 19, 2007, 03:16:17 AM

some info on:

PS1 issues
PS2 issues

nothing about failure rates though.  The PS2 issues were fixed by Sony but apparently only after a class action law suit.  MS was smart and didn't let things go that far.

I'm not sure that first link goes where you meant it to go.  icon_lol

But yes, I know about the problems with both the PS1 and PS2. Heck, I even had to run my PS1 upside down later in its life. But neither, as far as I know, had the incredible failure rates that the 360 has had so far; especially not so early in the life-cycle. In any case, your last comment isn't exactly true.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: July 19, 2007, 12:16:14 PM »

Ask Ron how many PS2's he's been through.

Brouwer said his Xbox 360 scratched two games, "Gears of War" and "Madden NFL 07," and that Microsoft offered to replace them for a $20 fee. He is seeking more than $5 million in damages, according to the court filing.

Cash grab anyone? The fact is that one system can be defective. 1 out of a 100 can be defective. Hell, if you like Ford you've got a 1 in 10 chance. slywink Be that as it may, if you're moving your console while it's playing you are abusing it. You don't toss around your home PC while the tray is working, do you?

There HAVE been cases (I remember Destructor's game got a hole burnt into it) where movement hasn't been the case. Maybe it's legit, maybe not.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: July 19, 2007, 01:48:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 19, 2007, 03:31:45 AM

some info on:

PS1 issues
PS2 issues

And that said - the PS1 was designed to fail. There was a cheap plastic bit that held the entire CD assembly together. That piece of plastic would eventually melt/warp, and your PS1 wouldn't be able to read CDs anymore. Why the trick of turning the thing upside down worked for a while.

While the PS2 wasn't designed to fail like the PS1, its primary issue was that the CD reader would eventually misalign, causing you not to be able to read CDs (more commonly, the DVD laser). However, that could be easily fixed with about a half-hour's worth of work and some easily found instructions on the 'net. I know, as I had to do that with my PS2.

And yes, Purge, I had a game get a nice hole drilled into it from my failing 360. The console was never touched or moved while playing, and it was always on its side.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 19, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 19, 2007, 12:16:14 PM

I don't deny that the PS2 had problems, but to suggest that they had a 30% failure rate (or whatever the 360 is having) is crazy. Yes, Ron had to go through a lot of PS2s. But how many people on this board alone have already gone through multiple 360?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 19, 2007, 02:48:23 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on July 19, 2007, 04:48:48 AM

I'm not sure that first link goes where you meant it to go.  icon_lol

what, your PS1 didn't turn into Ironman and destroy your living room?   icon_lol  I'll have to see if I can find the right link but Destructor pretty much summed it up.

Because I can,
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 19, 2007, 03:03:01 PM »

I don't play ps2 games anymore because my first ps2 (which did last quite a while) had the losing alignment problem.  I fixed it a few times, finally got fed up with it and bought a slimline.  Which promptly decided it didn't want to read game discs.  Sent it to sony, got it fixed, a couple months later there is something wrong with the drive again.  I'm done with it for now. 

Maybe once the PS3 comes down to 350 or less I'll pick one up.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: July 19, 2007, 08:37:10 PM »

but to suggest that they had a 30% failure rate (or whatever the 360 is having
they ultimately expect a 100% failure rate of all first gen 360s. All 1.3 million or so of them.  There is a fatal architectural flaw, this is why Microsoft announced that it has recently set aside 1 BILLION dollars in order to fix all these units
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 19, 2007, 08:43:34 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on July 19, 2007, 01:50:08 PM

Quote from: Purge on July 19, 2007, 12:16:14 PM

I don't deny that the PS2 had problems, but to suggest that they had a 30% failure rate (or whatever the 360 is having) is crazy. Yes, Ron had to go through a lot of PS2s. But how many people on this board alone have already gone through multiple 360?

Prior to the 360, I don't think anyone in the retail sector would've denied how much the PS2 failed. I recalled exchanging them on a daily basis. I'd have said that 30% isn't that far off for the PS2. Many people attribute a good percentage the incredibly high amount of systems sold to the poor construction of the system. I knew more than 20 different people that owned more than 3 PS2's due to failure. The 360 has taken it to a whole new level though. Definitely worst built system initially.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 20, 2007, 05:22:13 AM »

okay,before the price drop here in england the PS3 cost 425 for the console and controller only

now,HMV have the PS3 for 425......console,2 controllers(both official),2 BLU-RAY dvds(casino royale and black hawk down),and two games of your choice from a selection of 7(resisitance,F1,motorstorm,ridge racer....not sure of the others,genji or something like that)

may have to look into that,the two BR films are good films IMO,the games i would get would prolly be resistance and motorstorm...although i would like the F1 game as well

dont forget that the Backwards compatible list,i think is pretty dead with the european PS3,so i will have to keep my PS2 next to the PS3 mad icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: July 20, 2007, 06:43:40 AM »

Sony really needs to let people know when they update the software emulation.  You can assume updates come with firmware updates, but those are few and far between.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 20, 2007, 02:51:17 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 20, 2007, 05:22:13 AM

now,HMV have the PS3 for 425......console,2 controllers(both official),2 BLU-RAY dvds(casino royale and black hawk down),and two games of your choice from a selection of 7(resisitance,F1,motorstorm,ridge racer....not sure of the others,genji or something like that)

425.00 GBP = 873.829 USD.  hmmm, if I'm figuring it right (and assuming that's the $599 version) that's about how much all of those would cost if all that was purchased seperately over here.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 20, 2007, 03:56:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 20, 2007, 02:51:17 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 20, 2007, 05:22:13 AM

425.00 GBP = 873.829 USD.  hmmm, if I'm figuring it right (and assuming that's the $599 version) that's about how much all of those would cost if all that was purchased seperately over here.

also take into account that Britain gets ripped off to f...

well...we pay more,because we pay 17.5% V.A.T...so 17.5 % more on the price on  everything from coca cola to video games

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: