http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 01:21:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 price drop?  (Read 20052 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2007, 05:08:16 AM »

Yeah if the elite drops to 399... I'll probably trade in my premium for it.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2007, 06:37:30 AM »

Well you're in luck Jarrod, it's all but confirmed that the elite goes to $399, premium to $349, and core to $249.

Pretty conservative drops, but just enough to steal some thunder from Sony's release.

Despite that, Sony and yet again claim superior hardware right out of the box, but that doesn't do much if they don't have games that use it.

So, it still comes down to games.  If Sony can announce and show more and better games this E3, along with many of those games releasing this year.  They can undo some of the damage.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2007, 11:15:05 AM »

Good luck actually FINDING the Elite if this happens. One employee I know at EB put it this way:

"Nobody knew of the Elite (short of very hardcore gamers) for a month and a half after release (due to zero advertising). My store hasn't gotten in a single Elite console in since the two we got at launch."

Also, keep in mind that the Elite is NOT the smaller, less chance of overheating 65nm process. It's a 360 with a bigger HD (at an absurd price) and painted black.

And incase people didn't all know of this already, the 80GB PS3 does NOT have hardware BC in it. So no playing games like God of War 2 as of last check.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 11:49:40 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »

Well, it looks like the PS3 is getting at least a temporary boost in sales: it's the #1 seller in video games on Amazon.com.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2007, 12:51:50 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 10, 2007, 11:15:05 AM

And incase people didn't all know of this already, the 80GB PS3 does NOT have hardware BC in it. So no playing games like God of War 2 as of last check.

A quick check of Sony's site shows GoW 2 being fully BC. 

EDIT- Scratch that, was looking in the wrong region on Sony's site. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:54:37 PM by Kevin Grey » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2007, 01:41:22 PM »

Quote from: Destructor
Good luck actually FINDING the Elite if this happens. One employee I know at EB put it this way:

"Nobody knew of the Elite (short of very hardcore gamers) for a month and a half after release (due to zero advertising). My store hasn't gotten in a single Elite console in since the two we got at launch."

A friend of mine recently decided that he wanted to upgrade his system to the Elite, and he couldn't find one anywhere either.  Between the two of us, I think we checked every store within a thirty mile radius and every single one of them said the same thing as your EB friend.

I've read messages on this board and others where people have tried to characterize the 360 Elite as being a big sales dud for Microsoft -- nobody ever mentioned that their monthly figures are low because they aren't available for sale anyplace.  Tongue

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2007, 02:19:56 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 10, 2007, 01:41:22 PM

Quote from: Destructor

A friend of mine recently decided that he wanted to upgrade his system to the Elite, and he couldn't find one anywhere either.  Between the two of us, I think we checked every store within a thirty mile radius and every single one of them said the same thing as your EB friend.

I've read messages on this board and others where people have tried to characterize the 360 Elite as being a big sales dud for Microsoft -- nobody ever mentioned that their monthly figures are low because they aren't available for sale anyplace.  Tongue

-Autistic Angel

plus wasn't the Elite originally slated to only have a couple hundred thousand made?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2007, 02:27:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 10, 2007, 02:19:56 PM

plus wasn't the Elite originally slated to only have a couple hundred thousand made?

No.  It's a normal part of the SKU lineup.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2007, 02:29:27 PM »

I wonder how those extra sales will amount to more units.

Sony also has some leeway to, where if they were desperate enough, they could chop off another $50, though highly doubtful.  At best, they should reintroduce the 20gb models at $400 eat the cost, and tout that as the entry level PS3, making sure to keep that SKU around for a couple years this time.

Part of me thinks the reason why the PS3 hadn't had a $400 SKU yet is bluray player manufacturers, which are pressuring Sony not to drop the price further.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2007, 02:44:23 PM »

Seeing the packaging for the Motorstorm "model" it really does comes off like a pack-in which might not be so bad.  To the consumer looking between the two boxes it's a lot easier to make a decision based  on "Do I want this Motorstorm game or not" than it is for "HDMI?  What's that?  Does my TV support it?  Memory Card Readers?  Is that necessary?  Bigger HDD space?  How much is enough?  Forget it this is too confusing!".  However I think they should have just kept the HDD at 60 Gigs for both and dropped the second SKU to $550 so it was clear they were only paying extra for the game or not. 
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 11, 2007, 01:10:52 AM »

CNBC grilled Jack Tretton on the PS3 price cuts...and called him out on trying to dodge the real questions.  it's pretty funny to see him squirm when they don't hold back on directly asking if the announcement is a response to poor PS3 sales and the unexpected success of the Wii.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 11, 2007, 01:17:29 AM »

Quote from: disarm on July 11, 2007, 01:10:52 AM

CNBC grilled Jack Tretton on the PS3 price cuts...and called him out on trying to dodge the real questions.  it's pretty funny to see him squirm when they don't hold back on directly asking if the announcement is a response to poor PS3 sales and the unexpected success of the Wii.

so will it be 10 years before he pays everyone he owes money for finding PS3's sitting on store shelves?

Because I can,
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2007, 02:15:13 AM »

I assume when he's says that they are about half a million units short of their hopes, he's talking strictly about shipped units and not sold units, right?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2007, 02:18:28 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on July 11, 2007, 02:15:13 AM

I assume when he's says that they are about half a million units short of their hopes, he's talking strictly about shipped units and not sold units, right?
Sony considers shipped units as sold

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2007, 02:19:12 AM »

Quote from: Jack Tretton
Well, the PS3 is still dominating...

What exactly is the PS3 dominating, small children and animals?

You'd better watch it, Jack.  A fella could get into a lotta trouble sayin' stuff like that.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2007, 03:12:07 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 11, 2007, 02:19:12 AM

...Amazon?

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: July 11, 2007, 03:23:19 AM »

Interesting, I wonder how long this'll go on for.

Not to be anti Sony, but I wonder what'll happen when the 360 drops.

Unlike others, I want both systems to succeed, it means more competition, and that's better for us gamers.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 11, 2007, 10:39:14 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on July 11, 2007, 03:12:07 AM

...Amazon?

Dominating Amazon in mid July is like dominating a 3 legged donkey race.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 11, 2007, 02:33:59 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 11, 2007, 10:39:14 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on July 11, 2007, 03:12:07 AM

...Amazon?

Dominating Amazon in mid July is like dominating a 3 legged donkey race.

I would have gone with 'like a ringer dominating in the special olympics' but yours is funny too  thumbsup

Because I can,
depward

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 11, 2007, 03:15:28 PM »

Glad to see we're back to discussing the ps3 here.

Dominating amazon is a nice indication of a surge of sales - there's no denying that.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2007, 03:23:10 PM »

Quote from: depward on July 11, 2007, 03:15:28 PM

Dominating amazon is a nice indication of a surge of sales - there's no denying that.

the 'Movers and Shakers' page is interesting:

The biggest gainers in Amazon.com sales rank over the past 24 hours.

No PS3 on the front page, which is weird, but KotOR2 is #12!

Because I can,
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2007, 03:36:58 PM »

No - but it's also a very brief snapshot.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2007, 03:43:11 PM »

Quote from: Laner on July 11, 2007, 03:36:58 PM

No - but it's also a very brief snapshot.
But can't we argue that people would have never thought the PS3 would even be in that position if not for a price-drop?  It certainly shows, albeit a small one, a surge in sales that they haven't had since, well, launch.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2007, 11:06:08 AM »

Wait... what?

It's one step forward and a giant lurch back as Sony is poised to pull the plug on their 60GB PlayStation 3. You know, the same PlayStation 3 that they generously shaved $100 dollars from earlier this week.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2007, 11:26:43 AM »

Hahaha - that's great.  It's like a price increase! slywink

What total insanity.  I guess it might spur sales in the short term, but it's hardly the way you'd want to go announcing your plans for the product lineup.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2007, 11:46:28 AM »

Yup the 60 gig is soon to be gone.  The one that just had the price drop.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

Absolutely amazing.

SCEE president David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that the 60GB PlayStation 3 will no longer be available in the US after stock sells out - which he predicts will occur by the end of the month.

Reeves was speaking at an E3 event to announce the introduction of a new PS3 bundle in Europe. When asked about possible criticisms over whether SCEE should have given consumers the option to pay a lower price, as SCEA has done, he replied, "Well, they're not really are they, because what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD 599 version with one game.

"All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July."

When asked to clarify if this will mean the end of the 60GB model, Reeves answered, "In America, yes."

I think I can safely say fuck Sony now.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2007, 12:09:23 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on 6/9/07 @ 1:45pm
On the other hand, it's entirely possible that they're prepping to kill another sku by getting rid of the 60gig models, and going with only the new 80gig ones.

I called this one a week ago.  Go Sony!

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 13, 2007, 12:20:54 PM »

Quote from: warning on July 13, 2007, 11:46:28 AM

Yup the 60 gig is soon to be gone.  The one that just had the price drop.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

Absolutely amazing.

SCEE president David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that the 60GB PlayStation 3 will no longer be available in the US after stock sells out - which he predicts will occur by the end of the month.

Reeves was speaking at an E3 event to announce the introduction of a new PS3 bundle in Europe. When asked about possible criticisms over whether SCEE should have given consumers the option to pay a lower price, as SCEA has done, he replied, "Well, they're not really are they, because what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD 599 version with one game.

"All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July."

When asked to clarify if this will mean the end of the 60GB model, Reeves answered, "In America, yes."

I think I can safely say fuck Sony now.

Are you kidding me???!!!

I am absolutely speechless after hearing this.  At least bask in the glow of some kind of public relations good will for a while before announcing this.  Way to snatch proverbial defeat from the jaws of PR victory Sony. 

Simply amazing stupidity on a grand scale.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2007, 12:25:32 PM »

So now does everyone agree it's not a price drop?  icon_lol  icon_twisted

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2007, 12:26:08 PM »

LOL
So there actually is no price drop after all then.  Basically what you get is an extra 20 gigs for the same price.  Whoop-de doo.  Still there must be quite a lot of 60 gig PS3's still out there.  I wonder if the price of PS3's has dropped in Japan.  If they went down to 39,000 yen then I could use my bic camera points and pick one up for only 16,000 yen  icon_biggrin
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2007, 12:31:37 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 13, 2007, 12:26:08 PM

LOL
So there actually is no price drop after all then.  Basically what you get is an extra 20 gigs for the same price.  Whoop-de doo.  Still there must be quite a lot of 60 gig PS3's still out there.  I wonder if the price of PS3's has dropped in Japan.  If they went down to 39,000 yen then I could use my bic camera points and pick one up for only 16,000 yen  icon_biggrin

I thought it was pretty clear from the start that the 80 gig system was replacing the 60. I find this unfortunate. It's actually a pretty cool system, and if they'd be willing to leave a lower priced sku on the market, more people might be willing to try it. I bought a used 20gig for 399 a while ago and have been pretty happy with it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: July 13, 2007, 12:59:57 PM »

OMFG.

Sony can't be THAT stupid, can they?

EDIT: Remember when the Sony president said that there was no price drop for the PS3? Apparently he was telling the truth.

http://atvs.vg.no/?id=10235 (about 1:41 into this video):

Quote from: Kaz Hirai
Well, again, just from a hardware perspective, the 499 dollar price adjustment that we did for the 60 GB version, for the american market, uh, we're no longer in production for that product, so uh once that product is gone from the retailer shelves, then we're back to the $599 SKU only, so it's not like we have a two price strategy here in the US market. We found out very early on, you know, consumers react mostly to just having one SKU as opposed to two.

EDIT 2: On the flip side, there are SO many 60GB PS3s in the retail market that they won't be running out of them anytime soon (unless people go absolutely ballistic in buying them).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:26:12 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 13, 2007, 01:28:58 PM »

Maybe this is Sony's way of creating a "shortage" to boost sales. People realize that the $499 price is temporary and they go out and buy up all the 60G models. Then Sony could say, "Well since demand for the 60G was so high, we have decided to keep shipping them." That would be pretty savvy!  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 05:26:54 PM by JCC » Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
warning

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 13, 2007, 01:59:02 PM »

And further confirmation: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14685

A spokesman from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) has confirmed to Gamasutra that the 60GB hard drive version of the PlayStation 3 will be phased out in the U.S., with no plans to replenish stock once current supplies run out.

The surprising news first came to light in an online interview with SCEE president David Reeves, in which he suggested that the 60GB version would cease to be available by as early as this month. This despite a $100 price cut for the console only having been announced on Monday and Sony proclaiming greatly increased sales as a result at its media briefing on Wednesday.

Gamasutra has confirmed the story with a SCEE spokesman, who indicated that “The US are currently transitioning from the 60GB to the 80GB mode of the PlayStation 3. When stock of the 60GB model runs out it will no longer be available in the U.S.”
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 13, 2007, 02:10:54 PM »

LOL!

Brilliant!

gellar
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 13, 2007, 02:15:25 PM »

This makes me want to learn discipline.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 13, 2007, 02:22:53 PM »

Pug, it's totally not worth pimping yourself out as a BDSM slave to get a PS3.  That's not what Krazy Ken meant when he said that people would want to work harder to afford one.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: July 13, 2007, 02:30:29 PM »

It's as if Sony actually wants people not to buy their console.  Is it some kind of tax shelter like Uwe Boll's films?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 13, 2007, 02:45:58 PM »

You know Sony seemed to be showing signs of heading in the right direction and then....

I seriously hope this is a case of mismanagement of information- ie once the 60 Gigs are gone, the pull Motorstorm out of the 80 Gig package and then go to one SKU at $499.99 and they just don't want to announce it yet.  Because if they are seriously thinking they can get away with this....
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 13, 2007, 02:54:46 PM »

If they pull Motorstorm and drop the 80gig to $499, they'll have another bad mark, because they basically just charged everyone $100 for Motorstorm.

On second thought, that's probably exactly what they'll do.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: