http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:23:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 price drop?  (Read 20287 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2007, 01:16:01 PM »

Has it been confirmed yet if the the new U.S. machines will have emulation for backwards compatibility instead of the emotion engine?  Or has this already happened?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2007, 01:19:30 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 09, 2007, 01:04:34 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 09, 2007, 01:02:26 PM

Nonsense.  I can't get a PS3 any cheaper than I could on launch day. I don't consider that a price drop.
So if the "regular" 360 drops $100 it's not a price drop either?

I think that depends on whether you could get the 360 core for $199.  If they were selling the 20gig version of the PS3 for $399, I would be much more excited about this news.  Also do you get anything other than Motorstorm and an extra 20 gigs of HD space for the $100?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:22:59 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2007, 01:28:17 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 09, 2007, 01:19:30 PM

Nonsense.  I can't get a PS3 any cheaper than I could on launch day. I don't consider that a price drop.
I think that depends on whether you could get the 360 core for $199.  If they were selling the 20gig version of the PS3 for $399, I would be much more excited about this news.  Also do you get anything other than Motorstorm and an extra 20 gigs of HD space for the $100?

From what I'm reading, no. Just 20GB more of HD space and Motorstorm. Nothing more.

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 09, 2007, 01:14:42 PM

And if they get rid of the Core and just have $300 "Normal" and $400 "Elite" versions is it a price drop?

The problem with that is that the Core is still available on the market, and as such they'd have to do something with the price to get rid of what's left. So for a short while at least, there'd be a price drop. Sorta.  paranoid

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2007, 01:32:14 PM »

The 20 gig is gone- the fact that there are still a few hanging out in various inventories doesn't change the fact that the line was discontinued three or four months ago.  So there is no PS3 SKU to drop to $400. 

$500 is probably still too much for most people and I think the new $600 SKU is a bad idea.  But I find it baffling the hoops people are jumping through to try and portray this as not being a price drop.  It smacks of being negative just because it involves Sony. 
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2007, 01:32:35 PM »

I think that depends on whether you could get the 360 core for $199.  If they were selling the 20gig version of the PS3 for $399, I would be much more excited about this news. 

Exactly.  While I'm not about to go out and get a core system if the price drops across the board, the fact of the matter is, the option is still there.  Sony killed their 'core' already.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2007, 01:35:26 PM »

But I find it baffling the hoops people are jumping through to try and portray this as not being a price drop.  It smacks of being negative just because it involves Sony.

All a consumer who looked into getting a PS3 at launch and opted out due to price sees are two versions going for the same price as they were at launch.  These are hardware tweaks, not price drops.

Mike Dunn
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2007, 01:41:39 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 09, 2007, 01:35:26 PM

All a consumer who looked into getting a PS3 at launch and opted out due to price sees are two versions going for the same price as they were at launch.  These are hardware tweaks, not price drops.

The consumer who looked into getting a PS3 last week or last month saw one SKU for $600.  That same SKU is now $500, having dropped in price by $100. 

I think Sony was stupid to kill the 20 gig SKU but the fact remains that, like the Core, it was pretty much DOA not only because Sony dramatically undershipped it (ratio was 80/20 IIRC) but piss poor marketing on what differentiates the two units.  Consumers are trained to think of the higher priced unit as "better"- hell look at how long people referred to the 20 gig PS3 as gimped or the 'tard version.

So, Mike, what do you think about the question I posed above- if MS kills the Core and drops the regular 360 $100, is it a price drop? 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2007, 01:49:40 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 09, 2007, 01:32:14 PM

But I find it baffling the hoops people are jumping through to try and portray this as not being a price drop.  It smacks of being negative just because it involves Sony. 

Sony kind of created this problem by pulling the 20gig off of the market so fast.  I think alot of people saw that as bait and switch.  It is going to be hard for Sony to get back any type of goodwill for a while.  I agree that if you look at it objectively you are now getting alot more for your $499 than you did at launch.  Unfortunately alot of people do not see it that way.  Personally there was a time when I probably would have caved and bought a 20gig if I could have found it.  Now the 60gig is $499, I have a $100 Best Buy gift card burning a hole in my pocket, and I could get 5 (crappy) Blu Ray movies free.  Yet I am still hesitating because except for Resistance there just do not appear to many games coming to PS3 that I want to play through the end of the year.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2007, 01:56:59 PM »

Yeah, I agree it was stupid to kill the 20 gig but it was pretty much inevitable from release.  If they really wanted to create consumer perception that the 20 gig was a good dealt they should have reversed the shipping percentages and rebranded the 60 gig edition as the "Wireless Internet" edition or something more catchy so that consumers could easily differentiate and tell if they needed it or not.  It's the same thing with the 360 and the "Elite" edition- most uneducated consumers (ie the mass market that all the console manufacturers want) see "Elite" and think that's what they need even if they don't need or care about HDMI and bigger storage space. 

Frankly, multiple SKUs has been one of the stupider ideas to come into this generation and was a mistake on the part of both companies. 
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2007, 02:09:17 PM »

Of course this is a price drop and, frankly, I think it's sort of stupid to argue otherwise. Still, instead of the 80 gig version, it probably would've been better to keep the 20 gig version and reduce it's price to $399.

There's no debate that the 60 gig PS3 is a good value for the money, hardwise though. Especially if you get the 5 free Blu-Ray movies with it. For a hundred bucks more than normal 360, you get a bigger harddrive, HDMI, a Blu-Ray player, and built-in wireless. Even compared to the 360 Elite, it's a better value. I would be surprised if MS didn't reduce the 360 price by at least $50 in the next month or two.

That said, the price point hasn't changed the fact that the current game catalogue on the PS3 is much worse than that on the 360. If I had to choose one system to buy right now, it would be the 360 without hesistation.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2007, 02:11:35 PM »

YES YOU CAN!!!!

Guys, as Kevin said, the PS3 that has been out since day one, is $100 cheaper. Spin it however you want, but this IS a price drop. If you don't want the game or the extra 20GB (and I certainly wouldn't if I didn't already have my PS3) then don't buy it.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2007, 02:15:33 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 09, 2007, 01:32:14 PM

The 20 gig is gone- the fact that there are still a few hanging out in various inventories doesn't change the fact that the line was discontinued three or four months ago.  So there is no PS3 SKU to drop to $400. 

$500 is probably still too much for most people and I think the new $600 SKU is a bad idea.  But I find it baffling the hoops people are jumping through to try and portray this as not being a price drop.  It smacks of being negative just because it involves Sony. 

That is PRECISELY what it is.

Look, I hate to sound like Hetz-lite, but you guys constantly bitching about the PS3 are kinda beginning to run this shit in the ground. It is a damn good system, DAMN good, and if you don't wanna spend the money to buy it........DON'T, but this constant whining, sniping, and ripping of Sony, and the PS3, is starting to sound less and less genuine, and more and more, dare I say, fanboyish, towards the 360, and against Sony.

God damn people, get a grip.....

warning

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2007, 02:19:52 PM »

So is this the way it's going to be from here on out?  In the past you had one version of a console.  After awhile the price declined.  It was great.

Now we may or may not get an overall price decline.  What we will get is the company upgrading the systems with bigger hard drives or better (but now cheaper to manufacture) parts and keeping the prices roughly the same or increasing them.

Once one of these consoles (360 or PS3) gets a full-featured version below $299 I think we'll start to see some serious sales.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2007, 02:23:24 PM »

Quote from: warning on July 09, 2007, 02:19:52 PM

So is this the way it's going to be from here on out?  In the past you had one version of a console.  After awhile the price declined.  It was great.

Now we may or may not get an overall price decline.  What we will get is the company upgrading the systems with bigger hard drives or better (but now cheaper to manufacture) parts and keeping the prices roughly the same or increasing them.

Once one of these consoles (360 or PS3) gets a full-featured version below $299 I think we'll start to see some serious sales.

Yup, this is probably what it's gonna come to. Shame, but as long as they think people wanna buy them, they will do this.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2007, 02:42:22 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 09, 2007, 01:56:59 PM

If they really wanted to create consumer perception that the 20 gig was a good dealt they should have reversed the shipping percentages and rebranded the 60 gig edition as the "Wireless Internet" edition or something more catchy so that consumers could easily differentiate and tell if they needed it or not. 

Let's see if Sony has learned anything from that mistake.  Will they feature the 80gig model as the main sku and end up with the same perception of the "Real" PS3 costing $599?  Then they would be right back in the same spot as before the price drop.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2007, 02:53:24 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 09, 2007, 02:42:22 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 09, 2007, 01:56:59 PM

If they really wanted to create consumer perception that the 20 gig was a good dealt they should have reversed the shipping percentages and rebranded the 60 gig edition as the "Wireless Internet" edition or something more catchy so that consumers could easily differentiate and tell if they needed it or not. 

Let's see if Sony has learned anything from that mistake.  Will they feature the 80gig model as the main sku and end up with the same perception of the "Real" PS3 costing $599?  Then they would be right back in the same spot as before the price drop.

It's certainly possible.  They *are* retarded like that.

gellar
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2007, 02:56:49 PM »

The 60 GB is the one that I was interested in to begin with so this potential buyer finds this news pretty interesting - I've not really done the research in what the 80 GB really gains you aside from more space; but this put me a step closer towards getting one in a month or two.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2007, 03:09:07 PM »

Quote from: jblank on July 09, 2007, 02:11:35 PM

YES YOU CAN!!!!

Guys, as Kevin said, the PS3 that has been out since day one, is $100 cheaper. Spin it however you want, but this IS a price drop. If you don't want the game or the extra 20GB (and I certainly wouldn't if I didn't already have my PS3) then don't buy it.

Let me put it this way:

Fall 06- I really want to get a PS3, but the price of the 20GB model is just too high and the 60GB model is ridiculously expensive.  I pass, hoping that maybe by this time next year it'll be more affordable.

Fall 07- Ok, by this time, I REALLY want a PS3.  I check out the ads for all of the major outlets and they are screaming 'PS3 PRICE DROP!'.  I look, and it's the same cost of entry as before!  And to further this belief, there is a second model that is the same price as the expensive one from last year.  Still out of my price range. PASS (hypothetical- I look over at the 360 shelf and see a core unit for $200 cheaper than the cheapest PS3 unit.  What do you think gets purchased?).

All I am saying is that the average consumer will look at these two SKUs and their prices.  doesn't matter what new goodies come in the boxes.

Mike Dunn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2007, 03:09:51 PM »

we can still put our own HD's in, right?  If so then the new $599 80 gig edition isn't that much of a deal for me as I'm not so sure I'd be interested in Motorstorm and the 60 gig edition still has everything that I'd want.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2007, 03:54:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay
we can still put our own HD's in, right?  If so then the new $599 80 gig edition isn't that much of a deal for me as I'm not so sure I'd be interested in Motorstorm and the 60 gig edition still has everything that I'd want.

Agreed!  I was making this exact point to someone earlier today: unless something has changed, you can replace the PS3's hard drive with any capacity 2.5" SATA drive you like and the system will automatically format it up and prep it for use.  Since I think I'd grow weary of MotorStorm in about an hour of play, the 80-gig PS3 seems like a pretty poor deal.

Quote from: Teggy
Has it been confirmed yet if the the new U.S. machines will have emulation for backwards compatibility instead of the emotion engine?  Or has this already happened?

I'm curious in confirmation of this, too.  People have *said* that the change occurred in April 07, but my brief attempt to find a news story or press release to this effect have not turned up anything.

Have any recent purchasers of PS3s had any trouble with their old PS2 or PS1 games?  Is there any way to know if they still have the old PS2 hardware?

-Autistic Angel
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2007, 03:55:34 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 09, 2007, 03:09:07 PM

Quote from: jblank on July 09, 2007, 02:11:35 PM

YES YOU CAN!!!!

Let me put it this way:

Fall 06- I really want to get a PS3, but the price of the 20GB model is just too high and the 60GB model is ridiculously expensive.  I pass, hoping that maybe by this time next year it'll be more affordable.

Fall 07- Ok, by this time, I REALLY want a PS3.  I check out the ads for all of the major outlets and they are screaming 'PS3 PRICE DROP!'.  I look, and it's the same cost of entry as before!  And to further this belief, there is a second model that is the same price as the expensive one from last year.  Still out of my price range. PASS (hypothetical- I look over at the 360 shelf and see a core unit for $200 cheaper than the cheapest PS3 unit.  What do you think gets purchased?).

All I am saying is that the average consumer will look at these two SKUs and their prices.  doesn't matter what new goodies come in the boxes.

No, the average consumer is gonna see the price of the cheaper one, and thats the one they buy. Buddy, it IS a price cut, I don't know how else to explain it that hasn't already been explained.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2007, 04:08:51 PM »

Everyone acknowledges that the price on the SKU has dropped; that's not the issue.  The issue is that, if you want to play a PS3 game, your cost of entry is exactly the same as it was at the PS3's launch (regardless of the additional value in the repriced SKUs).
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2007, 04:11:01 PM »

Quote from: jblank on July 09, 2007, 03:55:34 PM

No, the average consumer is gonna see the price of the cheaper one, and thats the one they buy. Buddy, it IS a price cut, I don't know how else to explain it that hasn't already been explained.

But the price of the cheaper one is the same as the price of the cheaper one back at launch.  People thought it was too expensive back then. 

I still think the "average" consumer in Dec of 07 will still see 2 PS3s at $499 and $599.  Just like in Dec of 06.

Edit.  Um what Brendon said....Damn slow typing skills.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 04:15:44 PM by denoginizer » Logged

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2007, 04:17:06 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on July 09, 2007, 04:08:51 PM

Everyone acknowledges that the price on the SKU has dropped; that's not the issue.  The issue is that, if you want to play a PS3 game, your cost of entry is exactly the same as it was at the PS3's launch (regardless of the additional value in the repriced SKUs).

Absolutely true.  However, it is lower than it was a few months ago when Sony allegedly dropped the 20GB.  Whether or not that is significant remains to be seen.

gellar
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2007, 04:18:25 PM »

That is EXACTLY what I am saying.  What good is a price drop if the cost of entry is the same as launch?

Mike Dunn
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2007, 04:19:31 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 09, 2007, 04:18:25 PM

That is EXACTLY what I am saying.  What good is a price drop if the cost of entry is the same as launch?

It's better than nothing? slywink

gellar
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2007, 04:20:33 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 09, 2007, 04:11:01 PM

I still think the "average" consumer in Dec of 07 will still see 2 PS3s at $499 and $599.  Just like in Dec of 06.

Depends on how they are marketed- Pack-ins are a long tradition and I don't think previous pack-in editions of consoles have caused widespread perception that the cost of the console has gone up. I wouldn't put it past Sony to botch this aspect (they've screwed up enough in other areas) though. 
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2007, 04:20:55 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 09, 2007, 04:17:06 PM

Absolutely true.  However, it is lower than it was a few months ago when Sony allegedly dropped the 20GB.  Whether or not that is significant remains to be seen.

gellar

Dropping the 20GB model was a stupid move for Sony.  Yes, hardcore gamers don't want the gimp model, but if they had kept it around for this price drop they might've actually persuaded the average consumer who won't spend 500 bucks on a system to spend 400

Mike Dunn
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2007, 04:23:33 PM »

That is EXACTLY what I am saying.  What good is a price drop if the cost of entry is the same as launch?

Dude, the "cost of entry" is $499.....THAT is what the PS3, in its current incarnation, costs. That is $100 cheaper than it was 24 hrs ago, so why in the world are we even debating this?

Oy vey!!!! saywhat retard

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2007, 04:23:53 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 09, 2007, 04:20:55 PM

Quote from: gellar on July 09, 2007, 04:17:06 PM

gellar

Dropping the 20GB model was a stupid move for Sony.  Yes, hardcore gamers don't want the gimp model, but if they had kept it around for this price drop they might've actually persuaded the average consumer who won't spend 500 bucks on a system to spend 400

I dunno.  I kinda think they dropped it because the average consumers thought it was gimped and only the hardcore gamers who knew any better were the ones who wanted it.  Either way, they did screw themselves more than a few times.

gellar
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2007, 04:25:16 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 09, 2007, 04:19:31 PM

That is EXACTLY what I am saying.  What good is a price drop if the cost of entry is the same as launch?

gellar

It pretty much is nothing when you look at the fact that it's still the most expensive console on the market, with the least amount of games (and least amount of quality games, at that), bleeding exclusives, etc.  The average consumer doesn't give a shit about Blu-Ray because they don't have an HD set.  They want next-gen gaming, they'll look at the cost of entry before all else, THEN the games.  

Mike Dunn
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2007, 04:25:58 PM »

Couple of things:

1) It may the same as launch but it isn't the same as last week or last month.  The 20 Gig $500 SKU is GONE.  That is not an option for consumers anymore.  Trying to say that it isn't a price drop from launch but ignoring the removal of the 20 gig SKU is just playing semantics.  You might as well say that the price has gone up due to inflation in the interval. 

2) Depending on their needs the cost of entry isn't necessarilly the same.  This $500 includes wireless internet, the previous 20 Gig did not.  If you need a wireless hookup then the cost of entry is now cheaper.

Again, simple question- MS drops the Core unit and lowers the Normal and Elite editions- did a price drop occur? 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2007, 04:26:07 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 09, 2007, 04:11:01 PM

Quote from: jblank on July 09, 2007, 03:55:34 PM

But the price of the cheaper one is the same as the price of the cheaper one back at launch.  People thought it was too expensive back then. 

Edit.  Um what Brendon said....Damn slow typing skills.

But the system now, is what the cheap one was then, and for the current $500 price, you get a hell of a machine. From the looks of a lot of the forums I am a member at, this is stirring up some chatter about people finally getting off the fence and getting one........I take that as a positive and a sign that at least a few people are liking what they did.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2007, 04:26:23 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 09, 2007, 04:20:55 PM

Dropping the 20GB model was a stupid move for Sony.  Yes, hardcore gamers don't want the gimp model, but if they had kept it around for this price drop they might've actually persuaded the average consumer who won't spend 500 bucks on a system to spend 400

A $399 20 gig PS3 vs a $399 360 20gig version actually would have looked damn good.  (Of course that's if you rule out game libraries and the inevitable Microsoft price dropm in response.)  But for those few days it would have looked great.  paranoid

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2007, 04:26:40 PM »

Quote from: jblank on July 09, 2007, 04:23:33 PM

Dude, the "cost of entry" is $499.....THAT is what the PS3, in its current incarnation, costs. That is $100 cheaper than it was 24 hrs ago, so why in the world are we even debating this?

I don't know, you keep on ignoring the fact that I'm saying 'at launch'.  Maybe when you read my whole post?  slywink

Mike Dunn
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2007, 04:28:34 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 09, 2007, 04:26:40 PM

Quote from: jblank on July 09, 2007, 04:23:33 PM

I don't know, you keep on ignoring the fact that I'm saying 'at launch'.  Maybe when you read my whole post?  slywink

BUT WE ARE NOT AT LAUNCH!!! As Kevin keeps saying, the original 20GB machine is GONE, it is no longer a factor, so the cost of someone getting a PS3, from July 8 to July 9 is now $100 cheaper. That is irrefutable th"Fool, irrefutable.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2007, 04:30:06 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 09, 2007, 04:25:16 PM

Quote from: gellar on July 09, 2007, 04:19:31 PM

gellar

It pretty much is nothing when you look at the fact that it's still the most expensive console on the market, with the least amount of games (and least amount of quality games, at that), bleeding exclusives, etc.  The average consumer doesn't give a shit about Blu-Ray because they don't have an HD set.  They want next-gen gaming, they'll look at the cost of entry before all else, THEN the games. 

That customer wasn't going to buy the system if it was at $399.  That customer is buying the Wii, not the PS3 or the 360.  Sony can't drop the price enough to compete for that customer's biz... they need a better product (games) to do that.  Right now they are trying to get more of the 'speculators' to buy their product.  Ones who like the idea of a PS3, but recognize it's not quite there yet.  If they can get that customer to buy today Vs. 6 months from now, it's a win for them.

gellar
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2007, 04:31:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 09, 2007, 04:25:58 PM

1) It may the same as launch but it isn't the same as last week or last month.  The 20 Gig $500 SKU is GONE.  That is not an option for consumers anymore.  Trying to say that it isn't a price drop from launch but ignoring the removal of the 20 gig SKU is just playing semantics.  You might as well say that the price has gone up due to inflation in the interval. 

Except the average consumer is more likely to make purchases like game consoles and games during the holiday season.  They weren't even considering getting a PS3 since last fall/winter.  Their perception of the cost of entry is the same.

2) Depending on their needs the cost of entry isn't necessarilly the same.  This $500 includes wireless internet, the previous 20 Gig did not.  If you need a wireless hookup then the cost of entry is now cheaper.

Cost of entry is how much money it takes to plug in a console and play a game.

Again, simple question- MS drops the Core unit and lowers the Normal and Elite editions- did a price drop occur? 
That would be as stupid as this bullshit move by Sony.  I don't think it'll happen because Microsoft will get a big kick out of saying their cost of entry is $200 less than Sony's, no matter how gimped it may be.  That'll be huge for how they are percieved by the average consumer

Mike Dunn
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2007, 04:33:46 PM »

Quote from: jblank on July 09, 2007, 04:28:34 PM

As Kevin keeps saying, the original 20GB machine is GONE, it is no longer a factor,

As we keep saying, that is the problem.

Sony launching with a $499 price point, taking it away, and then bringing it back a few months later (granted with better hardware), does not appear as a price drop to alot of people.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2007, 04:35:53 PM »

Sony's overall strategy being foolish is one thing and I don't disagree.  But trying to paint this most recent move as anything but a price drop is absurd and is my point of contention. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: