http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 10:03:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 - Officially Delayed Until November in Japan  (Read 2440 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:33:48 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14-Mar-06 12:28 ET In Play Sony to delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console - DJ (SNE) 47.48 +0.71: Dow Jones reporting that Sony Computer Entertainment will delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console until early November because the copy protection technology for the Blu-ray Disc has not been finalized, The Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported in its Wednesday morning edition.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like Spring 07 for the USA.  :?

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »

I wouldn't rule out a simultaneous US/Japan launch.  Also, Sony is holding some sort of press conference or meeting tomorrow, presumably to announce this news as well as some major PS2 news.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:41:53 PM »

Oh well.  I think anyone who didn't see this comming was crazy.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 07:42:54 PM »

More news on it:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148763

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 07:45:13 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I wouldn't rule out a simultaneous US/Japan launch.  Also, Sony is holding some sort of press conference or meeting tomorrow, presumably to announce this news as well as some major PS2 news.

I wouldn't rule it out, but I would consider it VERY unlikely, unless they want a giant mess like MS had this Christmas, except worse. The Blu-Ray drives will not be very easy to come by for the massive launch #'s that would need to be done for a Japan/USA simultaneous launch.

Plus, Sony always releases in Japan first. I doubt they would change that.

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 07:46:42 PM »

More power to XBOX360!
and I guess I have chance to save more money toward PS3  :lol:
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 07:51:57 PM »

What sucks is why it is being delayed.  DRM issues.  I personally find this very amusing.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 08:29:49 PM »

An interesting aside is what it does to publishers and what it means for Sony's launch line-up.  

Will the PS3 launch line-up be huge but with most games already available on the 360?

What about games that Sony had negotiated some sort of exclusivity for?

Do you take games that were intended to be PS3 only and switch over so you have a holiday title on the 360 instead?

The fallout could be dramatic.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 08:59:30 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
What sucks is why it is being delayed.  DRM issues.  I personally find this very amusing.

Thats what there saying publicly. I find it hard to believe some "DRM issues" are whats keeping Sony's biggest and most important product launch ever held back for months.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 09:02:56 PM »

Man, I think its a huge mistake to not launch in North America first if they have to wait until November.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 10:36:50 PM »

It all comes down to Blu-Ray. While the 360 is cutting edge, the PS3 hardware is bleeding edge and there is no question that's what is hurting the hell out of the development now. That and Sony being stupid about practically everything they do. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 11:15:19 PM »

Meh who cares about the PS3, I have a PS2 sitting a few inches away from me(runs and plays it)

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 01:30:44 AM »

I know that the Revolution isn't directly competing with either Sony or MS this go around.  However, with this new PS3 delay, and the distinct possibility that the Revolution will launch in November, I wonder if Nintendo isn't as elated as Microsoft by this delay.

Launching in November with no PS3 competition might be a huge boost for the Revolution.  Still a niche product, sure, but maybe it'll wind up carving out a bigger niche as a result?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 01:52:48 AM »

Eh, I'll be playing A Link to the Past in November regardless.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 01:53:53 AM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"
Launching in November with no PS3 competition might be a huge boost for the Revolution.  Still a niche product, sure, but maybe it'll wind up carving out a bigger niche as a result?

I think the bigger boon for Nintendo is in Japan than here stateside.  Assuming that they get the Revolution out there before November, combined with the phenomenon that is the DS there, and I think they stand a great chance at gaining significant share there.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 01:56:24 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

SNES or GBA?  I'm playing it on the Micro myself.  I love that d-pad!  And oh so bright.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 02:10:11 AM »

Gonna hafta say virtual console on that one... Still don't think that Link to the Past will be my first game. I am hoping that there will be some hard to find games on their as well. I'd like to try some SNES games I passed because I had my head so far up Squaresofts butt with Crono Trigger, FF3 etc.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 04:51:40 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Dafones"

SNES or GBA?  I'm playing it on the Micro myself.  I love that d-pad!  And oh so bright.

Can't tell if you're baiting me with that one or not, but I meant on the Revo.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 07:25:05 AM »

Official Sony news: PS3 to launch worldwide in November.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 09:31:52 AM »

There's some more information at Worthplaying.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 09:38:51 AM »

Huh.  Seems hard to believe.  Especially considering that that's only 8 months away.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 12:24:36 PM »

From the Worthplaying link above:
Taking aim at Microsoft's Xbox Live, Sony plans for a similar online service (including lobby, voicechat etc.) with the basic formula being free.

This is good.  Very good.
All PS2 and PSOne titles will be compatible and playable in HD.

I love this.

But no pricing information?  Ugh.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 12:38:50 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
From the Worthplaying link above:
Taking aim at Microsoft's Xbox Live, Sony plans for a similar online service (including lobby, voicechat etc.) with the basic formula being free.

This is good.  Very good.
All PS2 and PSOne titles will be compatible and playable in HD.

I love this.

But no pricing information?  Ugh.

PS3:
- GLOBAL RELEASE NOVEMBER 11th
- 60GB HDD 2.5" with pre-installed Linux OS will be included?
- Dev kit specs fix as of today
- Final PS3 development kits will be sent to developers in June
- 10.000.000 BD-ROMS manufacturing capability per month @ cost around same as 2-layer DVD
- Every PS3 game will be on a Blu Ray Disc, in an attempt to prevent piracy
- Price will not be less than 50.000YEN (~$425USD)
- PS3 will have HDMI support from launch
- Sony plans to produce 1 million PS3s a month; 6 million PS3s for FY2006 (by the end of March 07)
- basic" online service free, no details yet (could be XBLS for PS3)
- Full backwards compatibility, hi-res and texture filtering for all titles (akin to what the Xbox 360 does to Halo)
- The online service will be working off of GameSpy technology

I'd expect it to be maybe $449 or $499 in the USA. I have a very hard time believing that they will have 6 milllion ready by March. Even if that is true, that only leaves 1-2 million for launch day.....WORLDWIDE. I predict this will be another 360 type debacle in terms of availability.

That being said, my preorder will be in as soon as possible. smile

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 01:38:25 PM »

Japanese prices don't usually match US prices.  They are usually higher but, on rare occasions, lower (the PSP was cheaper in Japan than there) so I'd guess that they are targeting $399.99 for the US.  [/quote]
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 01:40:00 PM »

PS3:
- GLOBAL RELEASE NOVEMBER 11th
- 60GB HDD 2.5" with pre-installed Linux OS will be included?
- Dev kit specs fix as of today
- Final PS3 development kits will be sent to developers in June
- 10.000.000 BD-ROMS manufacturing capability per month @ cost around same as 2-layer DVD
- Every PS3 game will be on a Blu Ray Disc, in an attempt to prevent piracy
- PS3 will have HDMI support from launch
- Sony plans to produce 1 million PS3s a month; 6 million PS3s for FY2006 (by the end of March 07)
- basic" online service free, no details yet (could be XBLS for PS3)
- Full backwards compatibility, hi-res and texture filtering for all titles (akin to what the Xbox 360 does to Halo)
- The online service will be working off of GameSpy technology

Thats hot.  Real hot.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 02:05:07 PM »

Global release? Again? Bloody hell...

Anybody know if the stores are taking reserves yet? This will be (again) in VERY short supply. Gotta reserve 6 months in advance or your fucked.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 02:10:47 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Global release? Again? Bloody hell...

Anybody know if the stores are taking reserves yet? This will be (again) in VERY short supply. Gotta reserve 6 months in advance or your fucked.

Basically. My thing is that Sony just ensured that any and all consoles in the future will have to have Blu-Ray compatibility in order to play PS3 games which means tech costs can only rise from here. Joy.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2006, 02:44:29 PM »

Even though it's a ways off, I think this latest announcement has sparked my interest in the PS3 again.
Now that they've confirmed hard drives will come preinstalled with linux on all ps3's, it's like the xbox all over again.
The full backwards compatiblity with ps1 and ps2 doesn't hurt either.
Sony without a doubt has the upper hand this generation, assuming of course they deliver what they are promising.

Also PSP price drop to $199 at the end of the month.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148775

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006, 02:48:52 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"

Sony without a doubt has the upper hand this generation, assuming of course they deliver what they are promising.

And that is the big ?.....Sony has always been big on promises (see their original press conference for the PS2 online service) and come up kind of short on the actual product. I am excited about the PS3, but I have to remember this is Sony making these claims....and they made wildly optomistic statements before, only to have the final product not be anywhere near what was promised.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 02:58:16 PM »

Personal opinion here:  Sony's screwed.

The launch is liable to be as bad as the X360 was, and at $50-100 MORE.  This is disaster, and could almost be as bad as the Saturn was, with strong sales in Japan, but lackluster in the US.  

Microsoft should be a) laughing all the way to the bank and b) preparing a price drop before November to widen the gap between it and the PS3's price.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2006, 02:59:52 PM »

HD support for PSOne and PS2 games... not that impressive, considering the graphics back then. All the little flaws from those games will now be shown in full HD glory.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2006, 03:40:18 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
Personal opinion here:  Sony's screwed.

The launch is liable to be as bad as the X360 was, and at $50-100 MORE.  This is disaster, and could almost be as bad as the Saturn was, with strong sales in Japan, but lackluster in the US.  

Microsoft should be a) laughing all the way to the bank and b) preparing a price drop before November to widen the gap between it and the PS3's price.

I'm sure Microsoft was hoping Sony would launch the PS3 next spring.  Is there any way a PS3 launch in time for the holidays could be a good thing for Microsoft?  It has to take away market share.  There are lots of people who wouldn't wait until March of 2007 to buy a next generation console and would have picked up a 360 by default.  Now they have two options to choose between.  That has to equal lost sales for Microsoft.

I hope they do drop the price on the 360.  I think they might have to if they don't want to get overshadowed by the PS3 which will be the hot thing next Christmas.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2006, 03:48:49 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"

And on that note, Bungie just received their deadline to finish Halo 3. slywink

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2006, 04:34:16 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

I'm sure Microsoft was hoping Sony would launch the PS3 next spring.  Is there any way a PS3 launch in time for the holidays could be a good thing for Microsoft?  It has to take away market share.  There are lots of people who wouldn't wait until March of 2007 to buy a next generation console and would have picked up a 360 by default.  Now they have two options to choose between.  That has to equal lost sales for Microsoft.

I hope they do drop the price on the 360.  I think they might have to if they don't want to get overshadowed by the PS3 which will be the hot thing next Christmas.

I still think Microsoft is in good position provided they get their supply situation straightened out.  When the PS3 is launching with limited availability and a launch lineup that doesn't look that exciting, there will be plenty of 360's with what looks to be a pretty good core of games including Halo 3, Gears of War, etc.  And with Sony's online service tech being brought to us by Gamespy I'm pretty sure Live will still rule over anything that is available from Sony for a long time to come.  

I have always said that I wouldn't be buying a PS3 until well into 2007 anyway.  But I'm hoping this announcemnet spurns Microsoft to drop game prices to $50 accross the board and hopefully drop the price on the 360 so more of my friends buy one.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2006, 04:37:37 PM »

Even if Sony releases the PS3 in Novemeber, it sounds like there will be supply problems just like Xbox 360 launch.  Even if demand is extremely high for the PS3, people wont be able to get it.  So what do people do?  They buy the widely available Xbox360 that is sitting right next to the empty PS3 shelf.  Microsoft could care less if Sony release before or after Christmas.  Either way they make a fortune.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2006, 05:48:13 PM »

Although it's good to see Sony be agressive about their PS3 launch now that it's worldwide, no way in hell will there be enough supply on the D-Day. I imagine it'll be a whole lot worse than the X360.

Also, I'm still skeptical about half of the stuff Sony says the PS3'll do, though I'm not sure why I feel that way.

Either way, time to go the pre-order route again.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2006, 06:31:48 PM »

Quote from: "DrJones"
Even if Sony releases the PS3 in Novemeber, it sounds like there will be supply problems just like Xbox 360 launch.  Even if demand is extremely high for the PS3, people wont be able to get it.  So what do people do?  They buy the widely available Xbox360 that is sitting right next to the empty PS3 shelf.  Microsoft could care less if Sony release before or after Christmas.  Either way they make a fortune.

Don't forget about the Revolution. Should be out around the same time as PS3 in the USA and Japan. However one big advantage to Xbox360 is that it will have already been out a year by then and will have quite alot of titles compared to Revs and PS3:s launch titles.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2006, 07:31:56 PM »

Quote from: "Jocke"
Quote from: "DrJones"

Don't forget about the Revolution. Should be out around the same time as PS3 in the USA and Japan. However one big advantage to Xbox360 is that it will have already been out a year by then and will have quite alot of titles compared to Revs and PS3:s launch titles.

Not only that, but they will be mature, "second-round" titles.  Developers should be getting the hang of XNA by now, so that games using that technology should be released around Christmas this year.  If Microsoft got one thing right was to give developers tools to program the consoles (Xbox and Xbox 360) easy.  PS2 is notoriously difficult to program for, and early indicators are that the PS3 isn't a walk in the part to program for either.

Also, will it play Guitar Hero?  I don't remember seeing any plugs for the old PS2 controllers on the PS3.  While the PS3 has USB ports, I don't think that hooking up a USB to PS2 controller cord to the controller will automatically work because of how unique the controller is.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2006, 07:44:43 PM »

With all the 360 shortage hoopla, I can only imagine what the worldwide PS3 launch will be like.  Yikes.  
Maybe that'll be a good time to pick up a 360.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: