http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 03:42:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 Live On Gamespot  (Read 1226 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2006, 03:03:41 AM »

They just got their PS3 and they are having a gameplay marathon right now. Resistance Fall of Man looks incredible and Genji looked really nice as well.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 03:07:55 AM »

I don't understand all the hate for Genji. If people liked Onimusha they should enjoy Genji.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 03:38:32 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 04, 2006, 03:07:55 AM

I don't understand all the hate for Genji. If people liked Onimusha they should enjoy Genji.
Well it had a giant crab.  You could attack its weak point for massive damage.  And let's not forget the game features real-time weapon changing!

It was one of the worst E3 presentations I've seen.  I hope the game turns out to be great.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 04:57:00 AM »

Quote from: warning on November 04, 2006, 03:38:32 AM

Well it had a giant crab.  You could attack its weak point for massive damage.  And let's not forget the game features real-time weapon changing!

It was one of the worst E3 presentations I've seen.  I hope the game turns out to be great.

When will they get to RRRRRRidge Racerrrrrrr?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 05:23:43 AM »

Yes, it is certainly the worst presentation I've ever seen as well.  The PR people had to be tearing their hair out about then.  "Oh God...just stop talking...oh now you've gone and made it worse...we can still fix th....nevermind.  *sigh*"

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 06:13:15 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 04, 2006, 05:23:43 AM

Yes, it is certainly the worst presentation I've ever seen as well.  The PR people had to be tearing their hair out about then.  "Oh God...just stop talking...oh now you've gone and made it worse...we can still fix th....nevermind.  *sigh*"

ROFL

You also forgot how the game is based on historically accurate feudal Japan. You know, the one that had giant crabs that you could attack their weak point for for massive damage.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 02:34:37 PM »

what is PS3's live called?....is it LIVE like xbox or is it still net play?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 02:55:58 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 04, 2006, 02:34:37 PM

Yes?

There is no true name for it as nobody knows what exactly Sony has up their sleeves for PS3's online component. It seems to change every other week.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 03:10:21 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 04, 2006, 02:55:58 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 04, 2006, 02:34:37 PM

Yes?

There is no true name for it as nobody knows what exactly Sony has up their sleeves for PS3's online component. It seems to change every other week.

Say what?  :icon_confused:

It's called the Playstation Network. It's been called that for quite awhile now. It's just like Xbox Live, accept FREE.

Where have you been? Besides riding the Wii hype train, I mean.  icon_wink

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 06:31:22 PM »

No, Hetz, what I mean is what exactly does it offer?

Does it offer a global Friends list?

How does it work as far as matchmaking goes?

Who hosts all the online games?

Can you invite friends into your game, or is just a 'select your server' type of thing we see on the PC via Gayspy?

Why is it free? What has Sony cut out of what makes Live so good that makes it cost nothing to run?

See, I have plenty of questions about their online service. Is there an answer for it all yet?

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 07:09:19 PM »

This article answers a lot of those questions.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 07:16:46 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 04, 2006, 06:31:22 PM

No, Hetz, what I mean is what exactly does it offer?

Does it offer a global Friends list?

How does it work as far as matchmaking goes?

Who hosts all the online games?

Can you invite friends into your game, or is just a 'select your server' type of thing we see on the PC via Gayspy?

Why is it free? What has Sony cut out of what makes Live so good that makes it cost nothing to run?

See, I have plenty of questions about their online service. Is there an answer for it all yet?

See Ralph-Wiggum's post. I guess you didn't read that article yet....

Short answer, what did they cut out to make it free? Pretty much nothing.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 10:30:32 AM »

If it works as advertised, it could be a real victory for Sony over the 360 as they can clearly point out that online play is free whereas you have to spent about $50 a year at best to play online for the same features.  This would also force MS to actually have some good subscriber content beyond just being able to play online for the gold subscription.  Either way it's a win-win situation for gamers.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 10:41:15 AM »

isnt on xbox live,our friends list and the places we download demos and stuff all on big servers in some microsoft place,and thats what our money goes to,those servers?...if so,how will sony pay for same service with their online stuff?

whatever happens though i guess it cat be bad being free,for ps3 people and perhaps xbox people....maybe they will alter the price for xbox live

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 06:10:18 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 05, 2006, 10:30:32 AM

If it works as advertised, it could be a real victory for Sony over the 360 as they can clearly point out that online play is free whereas you have to spent about $50 a year at best to play online for the same features.  This would also force MS to actually have some good subscriber content beyond just being able to play online for the gold subscription.  Either way it's a win-win situation for gamers.

i really can't imagine it working as well as xbox Live without a centralized system.  i think EA games on the xbox are a perfect example of this...EA attempts to run their own servers and the multiplayer service tends to suck for a lot of their games.  i wanted to play Burnout:Revenge with a friend on friday night, but i couldn't get a reliable connection to EA's server.  the first couple times i got connected and tried to join the game, i couldn't acknowledge that i was ready to play from the lobby...every time i tried to mark myself as 'Ready' i got disconnected from the server.  unfortunately, that's not the first time i've had that problem myself and i know others have experienced the same thing.  it eventually got to the point that i couldn't even connect to EA's servers at all, so we gave up and played PGR3 instead.  i've never had a problem connecting to Live to play a game that uses MS's server system (everything buy EA games)...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 06:31:15 PM »

Fully functioning web browser?  what kind of anti-virus/spyware protection is there?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 08:34:27 PM »

Quote from: disarm on November 05, 2006, 06:10:18 PM

i really can't imagine it working as well as xbox Live without a centralized system.  i think EA games on the xbox are a perfect example of this...EA attempts to run their own servers and the multiplayer service tends to suck for a lot of their games.  i wanted to play Burnout:Revenge with a friend on friday night, but i couldn't get a reliable connection to EA's server.  the first couple times i got connected and tried to join the game, i couldn't acknowledge that i was ready to play from the lobby...every time i tried to mark myself as 'Ready' i got disconnected from the server.  unfortunately, that's not the first time i've had that problem myself and i know others have experienced the same thing.  it eventually got to the point that i couldn't even connect to EA's servers at all, so we gave up and played PGR3 instead.  i've never had a problem connecting to Live to play a game that uses MS's server system (everything buy EA games)...

It's this reason exactly why I'd rather pay Microsoft $50 a year instead of trusting somebody else to do it. If EA can't do it, do you honestly expect Sony to pull it off?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 09:28:01 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 05, 2006, 08:34:27 PM

It's this reason exactly why I'd rather pay Microsoft $50 a year instead of trusting somebody else to do it. If EA can't do it, do you honestly expect Sony to pull it off?

Umm...it works just fine with PC's. Feel free to pay Microsoft whatever you wish for their service. If Sony can do it for free, than MS will have to either drop the price to $0 for their service, or make it a hell of a lot more worthwhile for $59 a year.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 09:39:50 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 05, 2006, 09:28:01 PM

Umm...it works just fine with PC's. Feel free to pay Microsoft whatever you wish for their service. If Sony can do it for free, than MS will have to either drop the price to $0 for their service, or make it a hell of a lot more worthwhile for $59 a year.

PCs do not have a free universal system for every game or application that ties together your unique gamer profile, friends list, matchmaking, messaging, voice, video, achievements, download services, feedback, rankings and full anti-cheat protection measures with temporary and permanent bans.   

I'm not saying that Sony's system is going to be a failure, just that it is very late in the game and there are a whole lot of questions, problems and unproven issues with it.  Putting all of these things into the laps of each individual developer/publisher will not result in consistency of quality or services, which is what the Live system does. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 09:42:22 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 05, 2006, 09:28:01 PM

I would argue that it doesn't always work very well on PCs.  I personally don't mind paying $4 per month for Live. If Sony can match Live's feature set and reliability then maybe Microsoft will have to re-evaluate their pricing. But as with most things Sony related, I'll believe it when I see it.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2006, 09:57:16 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 05, 2006, 10:30:32 AM

Why does MS allow EA to run their own servers? Can/do other companies do this? 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2006, 11:06:16 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 05, 2006, 09:57:16 PM

EA basically told Microsoft that if they didn't get to run their own servers, they would stop porting Madden games and the like to the Xbox and 360.

And to answer your other question, no, no other company has that kind of clout to pull off something like this.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2006, 11:08:56 PM »

EA is the only company that MS allows to run their own servers...everyone else uses the MS system.  EA runs their own lousy service on top of Live because they threatened not to release their games for the 360 if they weren't allowed to do so, and not having EA's support for the 360 was something that would have been too big of a hit against MS when they're trying to improve their marketshare.  it's yet another example of EA using their strength in the market to get what they want at the expense of providing a better product for their customers.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2006, 11:09:50 PM »

EA is the only company that can and does do this.  It was part of the agreement that was reached between Microsoft and EA to get EA's games with multiplayer on Live a couple years back.  EA did not want to go with the regular system controlled by Microsoft mostly because they want to be able to discontinue servers and support for their games after a couple years when there are new versions out.  Because of EA's huge influence on the market it was in Microsoft's best interest to get them to put multiplayer on their XBox versions otherwise all the sports/racing/whatever nuts would buy the PS2 versions to play online.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2006, 12:33:27 AM »

Holy triple simulposts, Batman.  icon_lol

Thanks guys.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2006, 01:33:01 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 05, 2006, 11:09:50 PM

EA is the only company that can and does do this.  It was part of the agreement that was reached between Microsoft and EA to get EA's games with multiplayer on Live a couple years back.  EA did not want to go with the regular system controlled by Microsoft mostly because they want to be able to discontinue servers and support for their games after a couple years when there are new versions out.  Because of EA's huge influence on the market it was in Microsoft's best interest to get them to put multiplayer on their XBox versions otherwise all the sports/racing/whatever nuts would buy the PS2 versions to play online. 

I give it about one more year before Microsoft tells them to either switch to their servers or suck it, Trebek. Its goddamn Microsoft. You do not, do not, do not bully them around and get away with it for very long.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2006, 01:16:19 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 06, 2006, 01:33:01 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 05, 2006, 11:09:50 PM

EA is the only company that can and does do this.  It was part of the agreement that was reached between Microsoft and EA to get EA's games with multiplayer on Live a couple years back.  EA did not want to go with the regular system controlled by Microsoft mostly because they want to be able to discontinue servers and support for their games after a couple years when there are new versions out.  Because of EA's huge influence on the market it was in Microsoft's best interest to get them to put multiplayer on their XBox versions otherwise all the sports/racing/whatever nuts would buy the PS2 versions to play online. 

I give it about one more year before Microsoft tells them to either switch to their servers or suck it, Trebek. Its goddamn Microsoft. You do not, do not, do not bully them around and get away with it for very long.

You do if you want and need EA's games and especially to help push your Live Service, I am sure Madden plays the biggest role in this. Ea is the Largest Third Party, and all EA has to do is point at the Dreamcast and say, look what not having us will do to you.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2006, 01:36:12 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 06, 2006, 01:16:19 PM

You do if you want and need EA's games and especially to help push your Live Service, I am sure Madden plays the biggest role in this. Ea is the Largest Third Party, and all EA has to do is point at the Dreamcast and say, look what not having us will do to you.

I could also point to the 2K games and say that if the average person wasn't such a sheep, there's a great replacement out there (short of NFL football). But that's not the point of this thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: