http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 01:51:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 Launch Thread  (Read 36119 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: November 17, 2006, 08:47:58 PM »

Quote from: jament on November 17, 2006, 08:40:48 PM

Done nothing wrong?  Really? 

Connecticut man shot : http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061117/ap_on_re_us/playstation_shooting
Armed theft: http://www.whiotv.com/news/10340455/detail.html
Injuries: http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=600&sid=978347
Riot: http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=600&sid=978347

That's a sample of dozens of reports about these wholesome folks who are just acquiring PS3s to finance their kids' education or pay for their grandmother's operations or some bullshit.  But e-bayers who post bogus bids are the ones in the wrong here.  Seriously.

And "ruin the auction system for everyone"??  C'mon... Captain Hyperbole to the rescue.

Honestly, there's no reason to be so hostile.  E-bay asshattery is a non-violent response to violent actions.  Relax, man.  You'll get your cash. 

And all that is the eBay sellers fault how? Why can't you get it through that thick skull of yours that simply selling a hot item, IS NOT WRONG. It's no different than someone selling a rare baseball card or a hot card, and it causes NOBODY an consternation, except people like you, that take joy in the misfortune of others.

Finally, that last paragraph is one of the dumbest things I have ever read. EVER. I would love for you to show me an eBayer that has committed a "violent action". Please, consider it a challenge.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 17, 2006, 08:50:47 PM »

Quote from: jament on November 17, 2006, 08:40:48 PM

And "ruin the auction system for everyone"??  C'mon... Captain Hyperbole to the rescue.

Honestly, there's no reason to be so hostile.  E-bay asshattery is a non-violent response to violent actions.  Relax, man.  You'll get your cash. 

Yeah, because all 7,000 or so sellers acquired theirs by violent means, or you can pinpoint those who have.

Captain Hyperbole indeed, sir.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 17, 2006, 08:51:38 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on November 17, 2006, 08:42:23 PM

all I see is people excited about the money they can make, who is exactly excited by the system?

Do you have Hetz on ignore or something?

gellar
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 17, 2006, 09:05:14 PM »

Interesting challenge but since they won't list "PS3 Stolen From Best Buy For Sale" an impossible one to complete.  Your logic only holds up, though, if one assumes that none of the ill-gotten consoles will appear on E-Bay.  I'd suggest that's incorrect but maybe that's naive and immature.

I still don't see what the big issue is.  It's just a morality check.  In your case, placing false bids on e-bay violates some moral standard while profiteering doesn't.  In my case, profiteering violates a moral standard and placing false bids doesn't.  There ya go.  No reason to get upset.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 17, 2006, 09:07:05 PM »

Quote from: jament on November 17, 2006, 09:05:14 PM

I still don't see what the big issue is.  It's just a morality check.  In your case, placing false bids on e-bay violates some moral standard while profiteering doesn't.  In my case, profiteering violates a moral standard and placing false bids doesn't.  There ya go.  No reason to get upset.

It's not morals.  I don't have anything morally against either action, nor am I one to even suggest my morals are the correct ones and everyone else is wrong.  I'm not that kind of guy.

I am the kind of guy to call someone an idiot though.  That's because I'm relatively certain I'm smarter than just about everyone I meet.

gellar
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: November 17, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »

Quote from: jament on November 17, 2006, 09:05:14 PM

Interesting challenge but since they won't list "PS3 Stolen From Best Buy For Sale" an impossible one to complete.  Your logic only holds up, though, if one assumes that none of the ill-gotten consoles will appear on E-Bay.  I'd suggest that's incorrect but maybe that's naive and immature.

Considering almost every auction I am looking at, including my own, has a receipt in the picture, or mentioned in the ad, its safe to say that 99%+ of these are completely legitimate sellers, who have done nothing to deserve what you suggested.

The big issue is that what I do with my money, is none of your damn business. I don't deserve to have some jackass screw up my auction, and neither does anyone else. What is wrong with "profiteering" off a video game console? This isn't a natural resource, the cure to AIDS, or food or clean water, its a video game system, and if someone wants to pay me $2K for it, so be it, its no skin off your back, and doesn't affect you personally.

If being dishonest doesn't violate your "moral standard" then you need to re-examine what morality really is. When you sell your house in 10 years, are you gonna sell it for less than you paid for it? If you don't, you are violating your "moral standard". It takes a special kind of hypocrite to have the nuts to admit that being dishonest is ok, while at the same time sometime in your life you have made money off of something you sold.

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 17, 2006, 09:57:53 PM »

99% legit? Mmmk... now who's naive? 

Dude, I understand what you're saying.  It's just a difference of opinion.  Don't let your conscience make you overreact.

If you're so adamant that what you do with your money is none of my business, certainly you'd grant that what I do with my time and e-bay account is none of yours.  There are consequences for either action - for me, e-bay closes my account.  For you, you have to live with yourself.

As far as your house analogy goes, it's dumb.   But let's say this, y'know, hypothetically.  Let's say that a young couple wanted a house and found one in their price range and made arrangements to buy it.  Then, as a real-estate speculator, I purchased the house, did a better job marketing it and pushed the price to twice what the couple could afford.  So they lose out.  Would I feel guilty about the added profits?  Yeah.  Would I feel sorry for the young couple who only wanted a home for their poor dog Skippy?  Yeah.  So would I enter that endeavor to begin with?  No.  But that's me.  You're a different kind of cat - I get that.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 17, 2006, 10:08:37 PM »

he's selling a product at what the market is willing to pay.  these poor innocent souls he's taking advantage of could easily just wait and get it when supply is increased.  what they're paying for is the chance to get it before others. 

in your analogy, are the houses available only in limited quantities for a short period of time, and then flooded onto the market after 6 months?  if so, then i'd say the real estate guy should get a pat on the back for his savvy business sense.   :slywink:

also, when did housing become a luxury item?

hell, i was almost tempted to wait in line this morning at my local best buy so i could sell one of those babies for double its price online.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 10:10:42 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #568 on: November 17, 2006, 10:27:14 PM »

99% legit? Mmmk... now who's naive?

You apparently. As I said, they have receipts or are saying they will include the receipts. If they stole them, did the guy they stole them from write them out a receipt? Come on. 

Dude, I understand what you're saying.  It's just a difference of opinion.  Don't let your conscience make you overreact.

Considering I have a financial interest in this, and someone is calling for that to be played with, its hardly an overreaction. Nothing personal, I understand its a diff. of opinion, but you are calling for a pretty serious action, and I take offense at it.

If you're so adamant that what you do with your money is none of my business, certainly you'd grant that what I do with my time and e-bay account is none of yours.  There are consequences for either action - for me, e-bay closes my account.  For you, you have to live with yourself.

The difference is that what you want to do with your eBay account potentially causes harm to me. Also, I have no moral dilemma with selling mine, as others have said in this thread, this isn't a moral issue, its a game system, and considering my wife benefits from this with a shiny new 10th anniversary ring, I'm not losing any sleep, or having to "live with" my decision.

As far as your house analogy goes, it's dumb.   But let's say this, y'know, hypothetically.  Let's say that a young couple wanted a house and found one in their price range and made arrangements to buy it.  Then, as a real-estate speculator, I purchased the house, did a better job marketing it and pushed the price to twice what the couple could afford.  So they lose out.  Would I feel guilty about the added profits?  Yeah.  Would I feel sorry for the young couple who only wanted a home for their poor dog Skippy?  Yeah.  So would I enter that endeavor to begin with?  No.  But that's me.  You're a different kind of cat - I get that.

No, what YOU are advocating is dumb, and immature, and not cool. It isn't dumb, its a perfect analogy. You are against "profiteering", you said it yourself, so if you "profit" from selling your home, when you are intentionally selling it for more than you paid for it, you are doing exactly what you rail against.

I'm not different, I am a normal man, middle class family, father of one, a social and economic Liberal, politically active, socially aware, and a charitable man, but that doesn't mean I have to live in squalor or give away my belongings, or not take advantage of a chance to help fund a big purchase.

You need to get off your soapbox, take a look in the mirror, and tell yourself this is a gaming machine, nothing more. This isn't feeding the poor, housing the elderly, or paying for health care, and its not worth screwing with people over, so do something constructive with your time, and don't bork peoples auctions.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 10:29:46 PM by jblank » Logged

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: November 17, 2006, 10:31:23 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 17, 2006, 10:08:37 PM

he's selling a product at what the market is willing to pay.  these poor innocent souls he's taking advantage of could easily just wait and get it when supply is increased.  what they're paying for is the chance to get it before others. 

in your analogy, are the houses available only in limited quantities for a short period of time, and then flooded onto the market after 6 months?  if so, then i'd say the real estate guy should get a pat on the back for his savvy business sense.   :slywink:

also, when did housing become a luxury item?

hell, i was almost tempted to wait in line this morning at my local best buy so i could sell one of those babies for double its price online.

Careful, you will be labeled different.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: November 17, 2006, 10:43:03 PM »

hehe, good to see you around jblank.  haven't sparred with you in ages.  too bad i agree with you on this one.   icon_lol

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 17, 2006, 10:43:06 PM »

I do not wish ill will on Jblank.

That being said there is a part of me that does wish many of the ebay sellers have a very difficult time selling their PS3s.  Maybe if I actually want to buy the next major console that is released I won't have to compete with people willing to stand in line for 3 days knowing that they can make a 500% profit on ebay.  I want to see news articles of people who bought a PS3 and got stuck with it or *gasp* had their auctions top out at roughly retail price.

Wishful thinking?  Probably.  But I can hope can't I.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #572 on: November 17, 2006, 10:49:35 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 17, 2006, 10:43:03 PM

hehe, good to see you around jblank.  haven't sparred with you in ages.  too bad i agree with you on this one.   icon_lol

That was a LONG time ago.  icon_biggrin Lets hope we never "spar" again. We used to do way too much of that.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 17, 2006, 10:49:59 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 17, 2006, 10:43:06 PM

That being said there is a part of me that does wish many of the ebay sellers have a very difficult time selling their PS3s.  Maybe if I actually want to buy the next major console that is released I won't have to compete with people willing to stand in line for 3 days knowing that they can make a 500% profit on ebay.  I want to see news articles of people who bought a PS3 and got stuck with it or *gasp* had their auctions top out at roughly retail price.

and having their system sell at retail because of lower than expected demand is equally as fine, in my book.  that just means the market stabilized before the product could command the high demand price.

look, if the target audience can afford to pay enough to obtain a luxury item during a shortage of said luxury item, than they're more to blame than the seller.  by them outspending another person, will that person potentially suffer anything more than an inconvience?

if, however, the commodity in question was something like medicine or food during a famine, than i think people would be justified in being outraged.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 10:52:09 PM by hepcat » Logged

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: November 17, 2006, 10:51:41 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 17, 2006, 10:43:06 PM

I respect that, but if you wanna "fix" this problem, get on the horn to Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, and tell them to stop releasing consoles months before they are ready, when they KNOW they cannot keep up with demand. Don't get mad at us (not that you are), because this market for these things is created entirely off these companies intentionally releasing consoles before they should.

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 17, 2006, 11:20:05 PM »

jblank - I'm not railing against anything.  I'm just explaining that, from my perspective, folks screwing up e-bay auctions have just as much right to do so as you do to make some cash.   

But, to your points:

Having a scan of a receipt or promising a receipt will be sent post-payment doesn't make the auction legitimate.  Hell, I could post my own PS3 auction right now and make it look legit by grabbing some pics from one of the 500 other auctions out there and sticking it on my auction page.  That doesn't make it legit.  I still contend that the majority of those people obtaining consoles by dubious means will e-bay them for cash.  But it doesn't really matter.

"Considering I have a financial interest in this, and someone is calling for that to be played with, its hardly an overreaction. Nothing personal, I understand its a diff. of opinion, but you are calling for a pretty serious action, and I take offense at it."

It's just a discussion on the internet.  Really, no offense required.  More on your above statement below, though -

"The difference is that what you want to do with your eBay account potentially causes harm to me. Also, I have no moral dilemma with selling mine, as others have said in this thread, this isn't a moral issue, its a game system, and considering my wife benefits from this with a shiny new 10th anniversary ring, I'm not losing any sleep, or having to "live with" my decision."

Ah, see, here's the deal.  You rationalize your action because you refuse to see that it potentially causes harm to someone else, or affects someone else's financial interest.  There is no doubt that the people purchasing PS3's purely for profit affects the financial interest of the person who wants to buy one for their kids for Christmas.  There is no doubt that the people purchasing PS3's purely for profit cause "harm" to those who want to actually play the console.  In this case, you only see a potential harm from an e-bay bidder while those other people have actually been "harmed" when you removed their ability to purchase a console for the purpose it was marketed and instead purchase one to line your pockets for [insert altruistic reason here].

"No, what YOU are advocating is dumb, and immature, and not cool. It isn't dumb, its a perfect analogy. You are against "profiteering", you said it yourself, so if you "profit" from selling your home, when you are intentionally selling it for more than you paid for it, you are doing exactly what you rail against."

Now, now.  Depends on your definition of profiteering.  My definition would include purchasing something with no intention of putting it to its proper use (playing games) in order to profit.  If I purchased a home, lived in it, and sold it for profit - that ain't profiteering.  If I use it to exploit a speculative market  - that is profiteering.  You may not like the connotation but it is what it is.

"I'm not different, I am a normal man, middle class family, father of one, a social and economic Liberal, politically active, socially aware, and a charitable man, but that doesn't mean I have to live in squalor or give away my belongings, or not take advantage of a chance to help fund a big purchase."

No one suggested you should live in squalor.  You want to argue extremes because it makes your actions seem more reasonable.

"If being dishonest doesn't violate your "moral standard" then you need to re-examine what morality really is. When you sell your house in 10 years, are you gonna sell it for less than you paid for it? If you don't, you are violating your "moral standard". It takes a special kind of hypocrite to have the nuts to admit that being dishonest is ok, while at the same time sometime in your life you have made money off of something you sold."

Again, a matter of opinion.  Purchasing a console with no intent on ever playing it is, in my opinion, a dishonest act.  Interfering with the method used to profit on that act is, in my opinion, an act of civil disobedience.  We obviously differ on those opinions. 

Heh - I would counter that it takes a special kind of hypocrite to have the nuts to take a product out of the hands of those who would actually use it because they see an opportunity to make some cash and then cast dispersion on people who want to interfere with that process. 

"I respect that, but if you wanna "fix" this problem, get on the horn to Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, and tell them to stop releasing consoles months before they are ready, when they KNOW they cannot keep up with demand. Don't get mad at us (not that you are), because this market for these things is created entirely off these companies intentionally releasing consoles before they should."

Using that same logic, then, don't be mad at the e-bay bidders for screwing up your auction.  Get on the horn to E-Bay and tell them to fix their system so that it doesn't happen.  See?  No one's at fault here.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 11:30:01 PM by jament » Logged
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: November 17, 2006, 11:44:46 PM »

You live in fantasy land and a lot of your statements are borderline irrational, and as such, really, not worth refuting.

When someone has the opinion that most of these auctions are frauds because the systems were gotten by illegal acts, or that somehow eBay needs to stop people from selling a legal item, then the conversation has veered off from a disagreement, to one of trying to convince someone the sky is green. I think you have a screw loose, honestly, because there isn't a single person I know, who would INTENTIONALLY, with MALICE, try to fuck with someones money. That crosses the line, and calling it civil disobediance, like you are protesting a poll tax or for abortion rights, is an insult to protesters. You need a new hobby, I would recommend volunteer work.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 18, 2006, 01:13:07 AM »

Again, a matter of opinion.  Purchasing a console with no intent on ever playing it is, in my opinion, a dishonest act.

:icon_eek:

wow. 

that stuck out because it displays either a complete and utter ignorance of capitalism in general, or proves that someone is just arguing for the sake of keeping the argument going.

as for the rest of the post, it just reads like a manifesto from someone who took intro to philosophy and dropped out after the 2nd class on Karl Marx.   icon_lol

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 18, 2006, 02:01:29 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 18, 2006, 01:13:07 AM

Again, a matter of opinion.  Purchasing a console with no intent on ever playing it is, in my opinion, a dishonest act.

wow. 

that stuck out because it displays either a complete and utter ignorance of capitalism in general, or proves that someone is just arguing for the sake of keeping the argument going.

as for the rest of the post, it just reads like a manifesto from someone who took intro to philosophy and dropped out after the 2nd class on Karl Marx.   icon_lol

Just want to add, If "Purchasing a console with no intent on ever playing it is, in my opinion, a dishonest act" what does that make stores whose sole purpose is to purchase it with no intention of playing it? As to your house analogy, what about real estate investors? They don't live in everyhouse they buy/sell. This is a capitalistic country. If you don't realize that by now, maybe you should. The PS3 thing is one of the basic tenents of capitalism...supply and demand. Also, as has been mentioned, we are not talking about a nescesity, we are talking about a luxury. NOBODY NEEDS A LUXURY! You may WANT one, your kid may WANT one, your cousin twice removed may WANT one, but noone NEEDS one. Also, if I put my object on Ebay and the buyers want to drive the price up how is that immoral? What if I offer my PS3 for $1 and people drive it up? I offered it at well below cost, but other people want it more. "I" didn't make it $2000, someone else did. Even if I did make it $2000, I am not forcing anyone to buy it. It seems like you are against profit/capitalism in general. If so, then there is no point in arguing, since your mind is made up.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 18, 2006, 03:48:40 AM »

Quote from: jblank on November 17, 2006, 11:44:46 PM

You live in fantasy land and a lot of your statements are borderline irrational, and as such, really, not worth refuting.
And yet you (not just you  icon_wink) continue to smash your head against the wall.  Everyone can see his arguments for what they are. nod
mirage775

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 18, 2006, 04:42:35 AM »

I haven't read all the other replies, because I just don't have the time, to listen to all this PS3 nonsense, but I just don't understand people in this screwed up world?  This morning on the news, at 5am, they should about 50 morons who had been camped out 3-4 days in front of Best Buy, hoping to get a PS3 this morning, when the doors opened.  I will say, that back in the day, 9-9-99 to be exact, I did something silmilar to this, although, it was indoors and I had no tent and I got to EB about 30 minutes before they opened, to pick up my new Sega Dreamcast, only to return the damn thing the next day, because it was such a dissapointment to me.  Since then, I've never wasted my time or money to try to fight these crowds, to possibly get any certain console and possibly get shot when I walk out the door....! disgust  When I bought my PS2, I waited almost a year fot it and got it when it was around $200-$250 and I thought that was too much then...  Now look at the prices of them, $50 maybe and I rarely play mine anymore.  Well, I guess I've done enough bitchin about this topic, but if I do get one, it will be at least a few years, because the price WILL come down!  I also believe that any moron that pays, $1500 plus for one or even $100 more than retail for one, is just a complete moron!  retard 

Xbox LIVE: Mirage775
Steam: Mirage775
warning

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 18, 2006, 05:08:22 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 18, 2006, 01:13:07 AM

wow. 

Yeah sorry jament but you jumped the shark right there.

Interfering with the method used to profit on that act is, in my opinion, an act of civil disobedience.

Now you're just grandstanding.  I'm going to go all Wiki on you now (link): "Civil disobedience encompasses the active refusal to obey certain laws, demands and commands of a government or of an occupying power without resorting to physical violence."

jblank may be many things but I seriously doubt he'd consider himself an occupying power.  But it is so good that if he doesn't make it his tag I'm going to have to mock him.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 05:12:08 AM by warning » Logged
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: November 18, 2006, 06:23:57 PM »

Well look at EBAY today, you could get the bundle for 900 or less right now, and there are over 20K ps3 for sale.  These people will barely make a few hundred dollars after all is said and done if THAT.  The lucky ones are the ones who sold their preorder and such for 2k, my god what idiots paid 2 to 3k when they could of waited 12 hours and paid one third that.

Well PT Barnum words still ring true today.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 06:26:55 PM by TC Weidner » Logged
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 18, 2006, 06:34:04 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on November 18, 2006, 06:23:57 PM

Well look at EBAY today, you could get the bundle for 900 or less right now, and there are over 20K ps3 for sale.  These people will barely make a few hundred dollars after all is said and done if THAT.  The lucky ones are the ones who sold their preorder and such for 2k, my god what idiots paid 2 to 3k when they could of waited 12 hours and paid one third that.

It seems alot of the early Friday bidding and preorder purchaes were speculators speculating.  I think the sweet spot of people who actually want to keep a PS3 is going to settle around $900-$1200. A friend of mine sold his for $1450 this morning.  The guy he sold it to is going to put it back up and try to get $2500.  It's almost like short selling stocks.  Eventually someone gets burned. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 06:37:20 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 18, 2006, 06:36:47 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 18, 2006, 06:34:04 PM

It seems alot of the early Friday bidding and preorder purchaes were speculators speculating.  I think the sweep spot of people who actually want to keep a PS3 is $900-$1200. A friend of mine sold his for $1450 this morning.  The guy he sold it to is going to put it back up and try to get $2500.  It's almost like short selling stocks.  Eventually someone gets burned. 

My brother-in-law managed to sell his for $2200.  Already got the payment too, so it wasn't a scam. 
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 18, 2006, 06:38:44 PM »

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 18, 2006, 06:47:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 18, 2006, 06:36:47 PM

My brother-in-law managed to sell his for $2200.  Already got the payment too, so it wasn't a scam. 

Did you find out if the guy was going to keep it or resell it?

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 18, 2006, 06:49:55 PM »

I said it yesterday...we don't really know how much of the perceived demand for the system is speculators, how much of it is people willing to pay a premium for the system, and how much of it is people that want one, but won't pay hundreds extra.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 06:59:32 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 18, 2006, 06:50:48 PM »

Yep, I knew the bottom would fall out of this market. With all the PS3's going on Ebay, I knew it wouldn't last long at all.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 18, 2006, 06:53:39 PM »

Hmm... they are getting dangerously close to the "gellar would spend the money" realm.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 18, 2006, 07:00:50 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 18, 2006, 06:53:39 PM

Hmm... they are getting dangerously close to the "gellar would spend the money" realm.

Oh no you didn't !!!!

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 18, 2006, 07:01:20 PM »

Sony is saying there are going to be weekly restocks...not sure I buy it, but it could happen. You may find yourself able to walk into a store and get one fairly quickly, especially if you don't mind the 20 gig unit, particluar if the ebay market collapses.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 18, 2006, 07:13:44 PM »

Wow. That is hilarious how much the prices have dropped on EBay. Must be a bummer for those who missed the 2-3k window of opportunity and will likely only get 900-1.5k.

Too many people with the same idea of selling the console has killed the profiteering market. I personally hope that this burns a lot of sellers so that they don't try it again at the next "big" launch.

Think about it, waiting in line for days to only make @$500 in profit? I might as well just go to work at that point and be a lot more comfortable.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 18, 2006, 08:34:42 PM »

Yeah, I wish I wasn't waiting for my Costco one.  I missed the big window.  Of course I waited in a comfortable office chair while goofing off online and not out in the cold all night so that's something.  icon_lol  I'm not sure when my Costco bundle is coming but I'm sure I'll make a little on it.  I started out thinking 1500 would be good, than moved it up to 2200 last night.  I've settled back down to a more realistic $500.00 profit but we'll see what happens when my unit shows up.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 18, 2006, 08:40:32 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 18, 2006, 06:34:04 PM

It seems alot of the early Friday bidding and preorder purchaes were speculators speculating.  I think the sweep spot of people who actually want to keep a PS3 is $900-$1200. A friend of mine sold his for $1450 this morning.  The guy he sold it to is going to put it back up and try to get $2500.  It's almost like short selling stocks.  Eventually someone gets burned. 

I don't understand why people find it hard to believe some pay this money..   A few years back I was selling Everquest items for $1000-5000 EACH.. Items mind you, not accounts..  Generally these were gaming freak dot.com silver spooners with unlimited funds.  I sold a DAOC account for $4500.00 once, the guy was some kind of importer that brokers million dollar import deals from China to the US for big companies.

To us, these people are insane, but really they should be considered ripe for the pickin'.  I consider lifting cash from people like this, and putting it into my pocket as something good for mankind.  :slywink:

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 18, 2006, 10:36:25 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 18, 2006, 06:47:38 PM

Did you find out if the guy was going to keep it or resell it?

No idea- my wife is the one who talked to him. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 18, 2006, 11:58:19 PM »

Quote from: naednek on November 18, 2006, 06:38:44 PM

That is wonderful.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 19, 2006, 12:05:58 AM »

Quote from: Austin on November 18, 2006, 08:34:42 PM

Yeah, I wish I wasn't waiting for my Costco one.  I missed the big window.  Of course I waited in a comfortable office chair while goofing off online and not out in the cold all night so that's something.  icon_lol  I'm not sure when my Costco bundle is coming but I'm sure I'll make a little on it.  I started out thinking 1500 would be good, than moved it up to 2200 last night.  I've settled back down to a more realistic $500.00 profit but we'll see what happens when my unit shows up.

Or uhh.....you could keep the unit....   :icon_eek:

Crazy talk, I know.... Roll Eyes

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 19, 2006, 12:35:52 AM »

NES Games on PS3!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIWwcGCI_nY

Because you can install and run Linux on the PS3, you can run emulators.....

Austin

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 19, 2006, 01:14:41 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 19, 2006, 12:05:58 AM

Quote from: Austin on November 18, 2006, 08:34:42 PM

Or uhh.....you could keep the unit....   :icon_eek:

Crazy talk, I know.... Roll Eyes
I could but I don't want it.  At least not now.  $700.00 for a console is not at the top of my priority list.  My HDTV is only 30" and not at a good spot for gaming.  My purchase was purely to make a little extra cash.  When it suits the budget better, I'll grab one.  For now if I can grab a $100.00 amazon.com 360 on Thursday, I'll keep that. slywink

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: