http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 09:34:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 Launch Thread  (Read 36137 times)
Punisher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: November 17, 2006, 04:22:07 AM »

Update: Back and very pissed. Me and my wife went out to the mall. Arrived around 10PM. Saw what appeared to be a small line forming and asked the security guard about it. He said they were being kicked out. no lines until 11PM. Fine, this is how it's supposed to be. Went to Chili's to eat and hang. Saw a few more groups who thought of the same thing. We were all chatting when one guy gets a call around 10:35PM from one of his friends that is walking around the area. He said a large mob went over to BB. The police and security couldn't handle them and just said, go ahead form the line. No order, no 11PM, pushing/shoving allowed, etc... We figure, they may be trying to trick them or something. nope. They get a head count, take the first 45, tell them there are 30 units, and tell everyone else to leave. We start walking over there to see what's up and get stopped by a police officer who says that the line is closed. it turns out that there was close to 400 people hanging around the residential neighborhood about 1 block away and they were causing problems, such as peeing on lawns, making noise, etc... so they decided to just get the line over with.
If I had gone at 11PM and just didn't make it to the line, no big deal, but to have a bunch of people follow the rules and get screwed, while people who not only break the rules that were setup, but were also breaking the law, get to the line is ridiculous. I don't know, maybe instead of letting the mob rule, maybe they should have just, maybe, upheld the law and started arresting people?

Anyway, I'm pissed....
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 17, 2006, 04:39:26 AM »

See, these stories are just pissing me off and i'm sick of it.  Pisses me off Punisher to read this.  Can't imagine how pissed you gotta be, damnit.

We gotta be getting near Armageddon because i just can't believe what i'm reading about what people are doing for a freakin console system.  What in the world is going on!  I was reading a thread over at CAG about reports of entire families, including small children sleeping in tents outside stores for these systems.

The madness!!  The end is near!  REPENT i tell ya, REPENT!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 17, 2006, 04:46:30 AM »

Its time to just do all this online. This lining up shit is getting absolutely absurd.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 04:48:49 AM by Calvin » Logged
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 17, 2006, 04:52:07 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see a PS3 related murder within the next 24 hours.

This situation is crazy, but like driving by a car accident, I can't look away!

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 17, 2006, 05:11:42 AM »

Just got this email:

Dear GameStop.com/EBgames.com Customer:

We will have an extremely limited supply of 20GB PlayStation 3 console bundles for preorder on our site Friday evening, November 17th.

We expect these bundles to ship on or before December 1st. When the bundle is activated on our site, you can find it here:
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/ps3/ps3_signup.asp
http://www.ebgames.com/gs/ps3/ps3_signup.asp

We will not offer 60GB PlayStation 3 console bundles until our store pre-orders have been filled, but check back soon for future preorder opportunities.

Receipt of this email does not guarantee an opportunity to purchase. Orders will be taken on a first come, first serve basis.

Thank you,
GameStop.com/EBgames.com

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: November 17, 2006, 05:16:32 AM »

Saw this pic over at GAF:

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: November 17, 2006, 05:19:44 AM »

Quote from: slackerjoe on November 17, 2006, 04:52:07 AM

Honestly, a PS3 scalper's life is probably worth less than the $2000 you could get for the system on eBay.

Anyway, my night camo facepainting is almost done, so I'll probably be out for the rest of the night.  Will report back on my muggings and murders in the morning.  If anyone wants a specific human body part -- organ, limb, ear, whatever -- PM me quick.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
siege

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 17, 2006, 05:20:26 AM »

I'm watching the launch event in New York. This is absolutely crazy. Most of the people they are interviewing are scalpers looking to get 2-3 grand for the system.

Lol, now people are pulling out weed and smoking up. So many low life scum at this thing.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 17, 2006, 05:30:21 AM »

Yep, most of them are f'ing lowlife pieces of crap that they are interviewing....

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: November 17, 2006, 05:30:36 AM »

Quote from: siege on November 17, 2006, 05:20:26 AM

I'm watching the launch event in New York. This is absolutely crazy. Most of the people they are interviewing are scalpers looking to get 2-3 grand for the system.

Lol, now people are pulling out weed and smoking up. So many low life scum at this thing.

This means that if you buy a PS3 off of ebay, you are supporting drug abuse.   icon_wink

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 17, 2006, 05:32:17 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 17, 2006, 05:30:21 AM

Yep, most of them are f'ing lowlife pieces of crap that they are interviewing....

Doesn't that sum up most PS3 owners?  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: November 17, 2006, 05:33:05 AM »

And more crazy PS3 happenings:

Gunman rob store of all PS3s
10 to 12 people in line robbed at gunpoint
Another California store shut down due to crazyness
Police break up another fight in line
Walmart manager causes injuries when he plays musical chairs with line waiters

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
siege

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 17, 2006, 05:38:23 AM »

One of the guys in line at the New York event said there was an incident with a lot of swearing and some fighting going on. He actually got pushed back a hundred spots or so due to people breaking in line. It's crazy what people will do for a little cash.

Hopefully people in line for the Wii in a couple of days are a bit more civil and the bigger supply will keep these lowlife punks from possibly hurting innocent people that just want to play a new system.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 17, 2006, 05:39:48 AM »

Quote from: siege on November 17, 2006, 05:20:26 AM

I'm starting to wonder if the bottom drops out of the PS3 reselling market in the next few days. Reuters reported this:

"As of Thursday morning, 2,297 PS3s had sold on eBay at an average price of $1,608 and 698 additional units were still up for bid, according to data from eBay."

If the majority of the people in line now are looking to sell their PS3s, in the next few days we'll see the number of units available on Ebay/Craigslist jump significantly. Will the demand hold up when there are 8,000-12,000 PS3s on Ebay? I imagine a lot of the early purchases are coming from the percentage of the population for which $1,500 for a console is an insignificant amount of money, but is that demographic all that large?

Furthermore, I don't get much of a sense that huge numbers of people are itching to actually play with a PS3, so much as to make a quick $1,000 by selling their system on Ebay. The speculation is fueling the feeding frenzy tonight.

With all the other console purchase options out there (a fleshed out XBox 360 field, Wii, waiting), I really start to wonder whether the US PS3 reselling market might tank in a similar fashion to the Japanese market.

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 17, 2006, 05:41:39 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 17, 2006, 05:33:05 AM

Yeah, it got ugly in my town today as well.  Someone broke into EB last night and stole 4 Wiis, 3 PS3s, some 360s, a few DS Lites and some Zunes.  What's worse is that it appears that it was an inside job by mall security, at least that's the angle they're taking on it.  The burglers broke into an outside mall entrance, got into the back halls of the mall and went straight to the unmarked EB back door.

This is really sad and you can't help but blame it on Sony.  Sure this is probably a legitimate shortage, but maybe they could have waited until mid December and had a lot more systems available for launch.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: November 17, 2006, 05:59:44 AM »

My buddy tells me 3 gamestops/ebs have been robbed at Gunpoint within a 10 mile radius of his store.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 17, 2006, 06:17:56 AM »

Is anyone here virtually camping? I am watching 8 sites right now, but I don't really feel that I'll get lucky with it. Not that I care all that much.

LiveTAG: happydog
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 17, 2006, 06:35:37 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 17, 2006, 05:59:44 AM

My buddy tells me 3 gamestops/ebs have been robbed at Gunpoint within a 10 mile radius of his store.

yeah but you live in Michigan, outside of Detroit no less... like a couple hundred miles from the armpit of America, Ohio... :p

I would be amazed if anything like this happens over the weekend for the Wii launch. I don't think people have the same intentions of selling the machine online like the PS3.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 17, 2006, 08:04:17 AM »

it's 1am in Arizona, monitoring eBay and it's just amazing.  as more and more units are in-hand, the price is going crazy.  Seems like the minimum is 1500 and the ones that are ending soonest range from 1600 to 5000.  5000!!!  eek

funny thing...I work at a hotel and I'm here until after 7am.  My secutiry guard has some really authentic looking uniforms and he carries a piece (even though he's not supposed to).  We were contemplating going to Best Buy or somewhere and telling them they need to clear ut until opening... then get us 1st in line.  No, we won't really do it (can't afford the $600 right now) but it's a pretty good idea...

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 17, 2006, 12:16:51 PM »

Riot breaks out at Best Buy over PS3!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEPdRPxR_i0

eek

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 17, 2006, 12:27:38 PM »

I seriously doubt that any of these people are actually gamers.  People only do crazy shit like that for one thing-money.  It sorta brings a little more perspective to the whole 'it's my PS3 so I'll Ebay it for $2000 if I like' mentality.  If you Ebay your PS3 or Xbox 360 then perhaps you are contributing to the downfall of society (indirectly of course).
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 17, 2006, 12:33:35 PM »

One could almost say that the PS3 is already far superior to the XBOX 360 because nobody ever rioted for a 360.  Of course, someone could make the counterpoint that PS3 fans are far less civilized than 360 fans smile
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 17, 2006, 12:37:50 PM »

I think when the 360 came out, we hadn't seen that level of ebay inflation before.  The 360 ebay market showed what kind of potential there was for scalping them, but nobody knew it on release day, so you got crazy gamers waiting overnight for one, not crazy scalpers.  Now, there's quite a bit more money on the line, leading people to do dumb things.

Personally, I think it's pretty deplorable, the things that are going on over these things.  I wonder if the Sony execs are high-fiving each other over having created this much hysteria, and if they are, I hope they choke on their pudding.

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 17, 2006, 12:52:26 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 17, 2006, 12:37:50 PM

I think when the 360 came out, we hadn't seen that level of ebay inflation before.  The 360 ebay market showed what kind of potential there was for scalping them, but nobody knew it on release day, so you got crazy gamers waiting overnight for one, not crazy scalpers.  Now, there's quite a bit more money on the line, leading people to do dumb things.

Personally, I think it's pretty deplorable, the things that are going on over these things.  I wonder if the Sony execs are high-fiving each other over having created this much hysteria, and if they are, I hope they choke on their pudding.

Right, Chaz.  Last year's 360 action is the cause and effect of what we're seeing with the PS3 now.  Before now, we only had to compete against other gamers for these systems, now we're having to compete against gamers and every swinging dick who has the gleam in his eye to make a fast buck.  Anytime you have the potential for "easy money", the low lifes will come out of the woodwork.

I'm definitely getting my PS3 today and it hasn't even entered my mind to sell it.  There is really nothing I want to play on it except for Resistance and Motorstorm, and Motorstorm doesn't even come out for a few more months.

The 360 created this mess, but the PS3 is going to solidify the fact that console launches will never be the same again.  Even the Wii launch is going have a little of this.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 17, 2006, 01:03:06 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 17, 2006, 12:37:50 PM

That's not true. People knew the 360 was in short supply....they also knew that people that won the various contests were selling their 360's for over $1000. There were a bunch of people outside Best Buy on 360 launch day that were there for the express purpose of selling it. Not at the level of the PS3, but there were a bunch there that were only there to sell it.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 17, 2006, 01:04:53 PM »

I'm definitely getting my PS3 today and it hasn't even entered my mind to sell it.  There is really nothing I want to play on it except for Resistance and Motorstorm, and Motorstorm doesn't even come out for a few more months.

thumbsup

Motorstorm will be out next month in Japan....and it's region free!  icon_biggrin I've got mine preordered and will have it on Dec 7th!

only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 17, 2006, 01:08:13 PM »

you know what they say... there's no such thing as bad publicity. 

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 17, 2006, 01:21:04 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 17, 2006, 01:04:53 PM

thumbsup

Motorstorm will be out next month in Japan....and it's region free!  icon_biggrin I've got mine preordered and will have it on Dec 7th!

Is it going to be completely in English?  If not, I'll pass. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 17, 2006, 01:24:54 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 17, 2006, 01:03:06 PM

That's not true. People knew the 360 was in short supply....they also knew that people that won the various contests were selling their 360's for over $1000. There were a bunch of people outside Best Buy on 360 launch day that were there for the express purpose of selling it. Not at the level of the PS3, but there were a bunch there that were only there to sell it.

I agree with you Hetz that there was some eBay action going on back then, but I think more people now realize how much profit can be made on eBay with a short supply system launch because of what I happened with the 360.  This isn't because the PS3 is some super system.  It is merely because more are informed that a nice profit can be made.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 17, 2006, 01:31:27 PM »

I was just skimming a couple of reviews and I noticed the Gamespot review of Call of Duty 3 and the IGN review of Need for Speed: Carbon each indicate that the 360 versions look better than the PS3 versions of these 2 games. Huh? I thought the PS3 was the more powerful system. Is this just due to developer inexperience with the newer PS3? Will this "trend" (sorry to call 2 reviews a trend) reverse itself as the PS3 ages?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: November 17, 2006, 01:31:43 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on November 17, 2006, 01:21:04 PM

thumbsup

Yes, I believe so. There are options in nearly every PS3 game to switch between languages. Blu-Ray's greater storage space for the win!  icon_smile

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 17, 2006, 01:32:36 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 17, 2006, 01:31:27 PM

I was just skimming a couple of reviews and I noticed the Gamespot review of Call of Duty 3 and the IGN review of Need for Speed: Carbon each indicate that the 360 versions look better than the PS3 versions of these 2 games. Huh? I thought the PS3 was the more powerful system. Is this just due to developer inexperience with the newer PS3? Will this "trend" (sorry to call 2 reviews a trend) reverse itself as the PS3 ages?

Yeah, I heard about that as well. I am sure it is due to the inexperience and rushed timetable to get the game out for launch.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: November 17, 2006, 01:34:42 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 17, 2006, 01:31:27 PM

Horsepower wise, it's nearly a wash. If the PS3 does one thing better, the 360 does another thing better. At the end of the day, it's arguable that either system is a lock to produce the "best looking" of a multi-platform release.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 17, 2006, 01:36:37 PM »

Seriously.  As a gamer, If I can get my hands on one and roll it into an Xbox 360 and a decent HD screen to play it on, that's absolutely what I'm doing.   icon_lol
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 17, 2006, 01:36:43 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 17, 2006, 01:31:43 PM

thumbsup

Yes, I believe so. There are options in nearly every PS3 game to switch between languages. Blu-Ray's greater storage space for the win!  icon_smile

Then why the hell isn't the game launching in all regions at the same time, or at least both US and Japan, that is just dumb to not launch them together.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 17, 2006, 01:37:51 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 17, 2006, 01:36:43 PM

thumbsup

Then why the hell isn't the game launching in all regions at the same time, or at least both US and Japan, that is just dumb to not launch them together.

I  believe the Japanese version won't have online while the US version will. 
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 17, 2006, 02:08:55 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 17, 2006, 01:37:51 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 17, 2006, 01:36:43 PM

thumbsup

I  believe the Japanese version won't have online while the US version will. 

That is correct.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 17, 2006, 02:11:49 PM »

Yep.  People that sell consoles at launch on eBay are scum. 

Pretty amazing though.  To bad Sony didn't actually deliver enough, or Microsoft last year.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: November 17, 2006, 02:15:13 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 17, 2006, 12:16:51 PM

Riot breaks out at Best Buy over PS3!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEPdRPxR_i0

eek

Holy shit. Holy fucking shit.

It's a God Damned GAME SYSTEM for Christ's sake. What the hell has this world come to!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 17, 2006, 02:20:42 PM »

Never mind the riots...

In Putnam, Ct., two armed thugs tried to rob of line of people waiting to buy PS3 early Friday and shot one who refused to give up the money, authorities said.

Guy in the hospital now...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2660886

Being shot over this just crazy.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: