http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 05:19:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 Launch Thread  (Read 35326 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: November 16, 2006, 12:24:04 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 15, 2006, 10:59:28 PM

Well, now there is another controversy with the PS3.

It seems that the PS3 won't upscale games at all. Not just PS1/PS2 games, but all games. If your TV doesn't support 720p, but does support 1080i....you are SOL for Resistance and a bunch of other games. You will have to play it at 480p.

Wow. That's just fucking terrible. WTF was Sony smoking when they designed this piece of shit?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 16, 2006, 01:24:12 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on November 16, 2006, 12:08:40 AM

I saw my first campers ever today outside my local Circuit City - three tents in the cold and rain with a bottle of Mountain Dew.  It was an amusing sight  icon_biggrin

there are campers outside both the BestBuy and Circuit City near me now.  the line at BB is up to about 20 people already and probably long enough at this point that not even everyone there right now will get a PS3 if they're each planning to buy their own.  the store has actually set up some roping on the sidewalk to keep people lined up from getting in the way of others walking into the store.  i overheard a couple employees talking about them, and they said the first guys showed up two days ago and have already made it clear that they have no intention of actually keeping a PS3 for themselves.  so far, there are only six or eight people outside CircuitCity, but i'm guessing that will change soon enough...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 16, 2006, 01:35:39 AM »

They really ought to do it the same way they do for concert tickets.  Give everybody a number then draw from a lottery. That way people wouldnt have to camp out in the cold for 2 weeks.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 16, 2006, 01:36:32 AM »

I live less than a mile from Best Buy, so as my girlfriend and I were just coming home I decided to swing by and look. There were LOTS of campers and tents, and the local news was there covering it. My girlfriend took a close look at the campers, and let's just say that they didn't look like the hardcore gaming crowd to her. I think the PS3 is going to be the system for Ebayers for a while.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 16, 2006, 01:55:23 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 16, 2006, 01:36:32 AM

I live less than a mile from Best Buy, so as my girlfriend and I were just coming home I decided to swing by and look. There were LOTS of campers and tents, and the local news was there covering it. My girlfriend took a close look at the campers, and let's just say that they didn't look like the hardcore gaming crowd to her. I think the PS3 is going to be the system for Ebayers for a while.

You know, at some point it just doesn't make sense any more, even for speculators.  My time is certainly worth a lot more than $600 (assuming 100% markup) for 48 hours of "work". 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 16, 2006, 01:56:53 AM »

OK guys, I know what you're thinking...

"I want a PS3, but I don't want to camp out with unhygenic and possibly dangerous losers for the next 2 days. But what am I to do???"

Well, you're problem is solved. Comp USA is happy to guarantee you a PS3 on launch day. They have a unique bundle! What do you have to do? Buy a 40 inch HD TV!!!

Unbelievable. Sony, make more of the damn thing you assclowns!  icon_mrgreen
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:58:52 AM by JCC » Logged

-John

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 16, 2006, 02:12:58 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 16, 2006, 01:56:53 AM

Unbelievable. Sony, make more of the damn thing you assclowns!  icon_mrgreen

Why would they? Comp Usa is guaranteeing the PS3 only for customers that buy Sony TVs. It's win-win for Sony.   icon_wink
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 16, 2006, 02:18:07 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 16, 2006, 02:12:58 AM

Why would they? Comp Usa is guaranteeing the PS3 only for customers that buy Sony TVs. It's win-win for Sony.   icon_wink

Hey I meant more TVs! icon_wink Seriously, I somehow missed that the TVs were Sony too. Awesome.

-John

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: November 16, 2006, 02:19:37 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 16, 2006, 01:56:53 AM

Well, you're problem is solved. Comp USA is happy to guarantee you a PS3 on launch day. They have a unique bundle! What do you have to do? Buy a 40 inch HD TV!!!

From my understanding, CompUSA's entire allotment of consoles went towards this 'promotion', and they're currently completely out of consoles. You're on a preorder list for the things this way now.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 16, 2006, 03:01:02 AM »

I wonder how many people will buy the TV/PS3 bundle and then try to return the TV.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 16, 2006, 03:14:09 AM »

I was in a Best Buy tonight (with no campers, btw), and got a look at one of these things in the interactive. 

My god, the thing was huge.  I knew the unit was only slightly wider than the 360, but what I wasn't prepared for was the depth of the thing.  It really is the size of a small suitcase.  It's practically as deep as it is wide.  I don't even want to think about how much it weighs.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: November 16, 2006, 03:43:48 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 16, 2006, 03:01:02 AM

I wonder how many people will buy the TV/PS3 bundle and then try to return the TV.

15% restocking fee really hurts on a $2000 purchase. Or whatever the TV costs you.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 16, 2006, 03:45:22 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 16, 2006, 03:14:09 AM

My god, the thing was huge.  I knew the unit was only slightly wider than the 360, but what I wasn't prepared for was the depth of the thing.  It really is the size of a small suitcase.  It's practically as deep as it is wide.  I don't even want to think about how much it weighs.

I find this interesting, because one of the Japanese raps against the Xbox was its bulk. Partly due to style considerations and partly due to space considerations from small living quarters, Japanese have always liked sleek, small electronics. The Xbox was an ugly, noisy, space hog to the average Japanese consumer. I wonder if the size of the PS3 will play a factor in sales in Japan.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 16, 2006, 03:59:06 AM »

I was in a Best Buy tonight (with no campers, btw), and got a look at one of these things in the interactive. 

By the time I buy it, they'll have the "Slim and Small" version out.. I agree though, it looks like a big honkin' piece of debris from the 1950's.. NOT attractive at all, and quite silly looking.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 16, 2006, 04:02:29 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 16, 2006, 03:45:22 AM

I find this interesting, because one of the Japanese raps against the Xbox was its bulk. Partly due to style considerations and partly due to space considerations from small living quarters, Japanese have always liked sleek, small electronics. The Xbox was an ugly, noisy, space hog to the average Japanese consumer. I wonder if the size of the PS3 will play a factor in sales in Japan.

On the bright side, the PS3 is supposedly amazingly quiet (like quieter than even the PS2).  And there is no huge power brick like the 360- the power supply is internal which does account for some of the bulk. 
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 16, 2006, 04:20:50 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 16, 2006, 03:43:48 AM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 16, 2006, 03:01:02 AM

15% restocking fee really hurts on a $2000 purchase. Or whatever the TV costs you.

The 15% restocking fee only applies if you open the box. Even then, televisions aren't listed as one of the products requiring a restocking fee (at least according to Comp USA's in-store return policy).
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 16, 2006, 04:25:42 AM »

In regards to that guy that supposedly stole a kiosk unit, turns out he is a developer.  A Sony dev chimed in on his defense, but in the process, posted info to lead me to believe that it is a *BAD* call to get a first production run PS3..

He also received another box that looks like the PS3 that holds an alternate C7 (cell7 core overclocked instruction set) which is the 2nd version of the cell processor that will ship from Sony in PS3's much (much) later in 2007.

Apparently sony has a high failure rate of first run cell processors (to get a good one for shipping) and the version one processor that will ship right away (normal) is in box one... then they are going to an overclocked version a few months from now..

In addition to running faster.. the second gen processor console will have a flash type capability that will allow you to re-flash your PS3's firmware to also play HD-DVD (as well as blue ray) but also most future formats (via re-flash)... the gen one console will be blue ray only and fixed rom. The 4th quarter PS3 also has bluetooth built in.

So the first production runs will have a slower processor, higher failure rate, no Bluetooth and inability to be flashed to do HD-DVD AND BluRay?   :icon_eek:  Sounds like the ole' early adopter gettin' fucked thing going on like the GenOne 360 failure rate thing but worse.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: November 16, 2006, 04:31:19 AM »

If this is true...why exactly do I want a launch PS3 again?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 16, 2006, 04:51:23 AM »

That guy is *so* full of shit.  Supporting HD-DVD isn't just a flash of the bios.  It uses a completely different laser.  But really all you need to know is this- the HD-DVD camp would be trumpeting the inclusion of their tech (which they license) in the PS3 to every media outlet on the planet. 

Don't know what he's talking about with Bluetooth either since the launch PS3's already contain it and it's the mechanism that the controllers use to communicate and the PS3 can use wireless Bluetooth headsets as well. 
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 16, 2006, 05:05:59 AM »

I assume maybe a flash update to handle these?

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/18/bd_hd_dvd_disc_patent_app/

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 16, 2006, 05:09:06 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 16, 2006, 05:05:59 AM

I assume maybe a flash update to handle these?

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/18/bd_hd_dvd_disc_patent_app/

That's completely different.  All that does is put both formats on the same disc.  That doesn't make it so that an HD-DVD player can read a Bluray movie and vice-versa. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 16, 2006, 05:34:47 AM »

I've been wondering about the whole "the Japanese market likes small electronics, so won't buy the Xbox" thing with regards to what we already knew was going to be a larger unit than the PS2.

As for the power supply being internal, that's no excuse.  Personally, I like having a more compact, organized AV rack that's visible, and the mess of cables and such can be organized, but doesn't have to look attractive.  A separate power supply allows me to organize how I see fit, doesn't contribute to heat buildup in the machine itself, and doesn't force me to make room for this huge black monolith in my AV rack.

Of course, in Sony's mind, the only thing you should need in your AV rack is your Sony reciever and your PS3, so maybe it's all moot anyway.

motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 16, 2006, 05:42:42 AM »

Drove by the BB on Howard in Chicago. There was about 7 tents. It's cold, it's raining, I hope at least one person in that line is buying a PS3 to play. Freakin' nuts man.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: November 16, 2006, 05:49:09 AM »

I was just by my local Best Buy and sitting outside were about 15 lawn chairs with numbers on them and nobody sitting in them.  I'm thinking either the store set them up and nobody is waiting yet, or maybe people just decided that it was too cold, rainy and windy to sit outside for another two days and left their chairs there.  A little odd, either way. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 16, 2006, 07:03:23 AM »

Did a little tour of the local shops here (north Phoenix). Almost everywhere I looked had a line. Best Buy had about 40  :icon_eek: people in line. I am thinking a few will be turned away.

Interesting thing is that the Target across the street didn't have a line. Yet the Target down the road a bit did. Strange.

LiveTAG: happydog
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 16, 2006, 11:54:25 AM »

The North American Playstation network is now up and running!

from Shacknews:

Earlier today in our Unpacking the PS3 feature, we reported that while Sony's PlayStation Network and PlayStation Store had already been active in Japan, they had not yet gone live in North America. Now, just hours later, we can report that both services are up and running in other parts of the world. If you reside in the United States, Canada, Hong Kong, or Taiwan, and you are one of the few to currently own a PS3, you may now register a PlayStation Network account. This will allow you to play online games as well as make downloads and purchases from the PlayStation Store. Subscription to the service is free.

Currently, the PlayStation Store is stocked with the following items:

Demos (free):
- Blast Factor
- Formula One Championship Edition
- NBA 07
- Resistance: Fall of Man
- MotorStorm
- Cash Guns Chaos
Downloadable games (prices current for United States):
- Blast Factor ($7.99)
- Cash Guns Chaos ($9.99)

There are also numerous trailers for games such as David Jaffe's upcoming title Calling All Cars (PS3), Incognito's Warhawk (PS3), Factor 5's Lair (PS3), and others, as well as several trailers for films available on Blu-ray Disc.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 16, 2006, 11:56:22 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 16, 2006, 04:31:19 AM

Uhhhh....cause it's not. That post is the biggest load of BS I have ever read. A flash update to be able to read HD-DVD?  icon_lol

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 16, 2006, 12:08:36 PM »

Kaz demos the PS3, says that planes will be landing everyday with more PS3's and that the backwords compatibility will be fixed with a system update.

http://today.reuters.com/tv/videoChannel.aspx?storyid=98bf7acaff27080afd513ea2c3e80cdb111c1b93

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 16, 2006, 01:42:48 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 16, 2006, 05:34:47 AM

As for the power supply being internal, that's no excuse.  Personally, I like having a more compact, organized AV rack that's visible, and the mess of cables and such can be organized, but doesn't have to look attractive.  A separate power supply allows me to organize how I see fit, doesn't contribute to heat buildup in the machine itself, and doesn't force me to make room for this huge black monolith in my AV rack.

The flip side is that the power supply overheating was blamed on a lot of lock ups on early 360 units.  While it might make sense to people to ensure their AV cabinet is well ventilated and cool, most are going to shove their power brick behind the entertainment center in a cramped space on the carpet with little way to dissipate the heat, all of which is contrary to what MS said to do with the brick (but of course most aren't going to read the manual to find that out). 
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 16, 2006, 01:59:56 PM »

I am told that Costco will only have the smaller system available fwiw. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: November 16, 2006, 02:07:05 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 16, 2006, 11:56:22 AM

Uhhhh....cause it's not. That post is the biggest load of BS I have ever read. A flash update to be able to read HD-DVD?  icon_lol

And the biggest load of BS I've ever read about the PS3 was the lack of upscaling on the console. Yet, it's true. What other insane things that seem absolutely impossible have come true so far? How many more will come true in the future?

warning

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 16, 2006, 02:28:26 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 16, 2006, 02:07:05 PM

And the biggest load of BS I've ever read about the PS3 was the lack of upscaling on the console. Yet, it's true. What other insane things that seem absolutely impossible have come true so far? How many more will come true in the future?

I'm certainly not an expert on this but if Blu-ray requires a completely different laser than HD-DVD (it does, doesn't it?) then a firmware update won't be much help.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 16, 2006, 02:40:04 PM »

And so it begins....

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/4661551.html

Four People Shot While Waiting for PlayStation Console, Including 27 NEWSFIRST Reporter

Austin

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 16, 2006, 02:57:04 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 16, 2006, 02:40:04 PM

And so it begins....

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/4661551.html

Four People Shot While Waiting for PlayStation Console, Including 27 NEWSFIRST Reporter
icon_lol  Yeah it still sucks but the headline doesn't seem to indicate that they were shot with BB's.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: November 16, 2006, 02:57:29 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 16, 2006, 02:28:26 PM

I'm certainly not an expert on this but if Blu-ray requires a completely different laser than HD-DVD (it does, doesn't it?) then a firmware update won't be much help.

That could very well be true. All I'm trying to state is that the impossible has come true already with the PS3. Anything that's stated could be true right now, no matter how crazy it sounds.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 16, 2006, 03:00:32 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 16, 2006, 02:57:29 PM

Quote from: warning on November 16, 2006, 02:28:26 PM

That could very well be true. All I'm trying to state is that the impossible has come true already with the PS3. Anything that's stated could be true right now, no matter how crazy it sounds.

Not like they would ever put multiple lasers into the system... err wait they did with the PS2.. very possible they did with the PS3 and just haven't said anything.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 16, 2006, 03:04:14 PM »

Since Sony priced this console so highly solely because they want to win the BluRay vs. HD-DVD format war, it seems highly unlikely that they would update the PS3 to play HD-DVD discs even if they can.

-John

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 16, 2006, 03:04:57 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 16, 2006, 03:00:32 PM

Not like they would ever put multiple lasers into the system... err wait they did with the PS2.. very possible they did with the PS3 and just haven't said anything.

Yup, I would think they have a plan for this.  Early adopting has its pitfalls with these systems, without a doubt.  Hardly worth the headache to play a few meager games with average reviews.  Sit back, watch the show in amusement.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 16, 2006, 03:31:28 PM »

If they do have all the hardware in there to do both Blu-ray and HD-DVD I suspect we'd know about it within a couple of days after launch.  There's always some site that takes apart a new console and details what's going on inside it.  They'd be onto that pretty quick.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 16, 2006, 03:40:09 PM »

There is already a site out there with pictures of the ps3 taken apart. I'm certain that if it had two lasers we would already know about it.

LiveTAG: happydog
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: