http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 10:28:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 Launch Thread  (Read 35963 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 15, 2006, 04:21:13 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 15, 2006, 01:17:41 AM

Quote from: Hetz on November 14, 2006, 11:41:19 PM

PS3 vs XB360, head to head....same track, same car etc...

PS3 Ridge Racer 7:
http://hachikaze.ddo.jp/bbs/up/src/up0078.jpg

XB360 Ridge Racer 6:
http://hachikaze.ddo.jp/bbs/up/src/up0080.jpg

PS3 wins the first round!   stirthepot

I'm curious why one would not expect Ridge Racer 7 to look better than Ridge Racer 6 ?

Thats like saying CoD 3 on the PS3 looks better then CoD 2 did on the 360.

I'm not saying the PS3 isnt more powerful than the 360.  But that example is rediculous.

It's typical asshattery from the PS3 fanboys.  Don't forget they've also had a whole year to refine the game.

Plus, did anyone notice how off the fir trees look in the RR7 shot?  It almsot looks like the old paper trees kids would make using 2 cut-outs attached crosswise, kinda like trees looked in old 3D games.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 15, 2006, 04:41:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 15, 2006, 04:21:13 AM

It's typical asshattery from the PS3 fanboys.  Don't forget they've also had a whole year to refine the game.

Actually you've got it the other way around- the asshattery came from the 360 side of the fence- the source of the comparison was a website that posted the example shots to point out that the 360 version looks better. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: November 15, 2006, 05:27:19 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 15, 2006, 03:35:20 AM

Wow....a ton of people are already camping for the system outside of a bunch of Best Buy stores. One store has 21 people outside of it, on a TUESDAY NIGHT!

I knew I forgot to post something earlier.

One of my Best Buy stores in the area had 5 people in front of it this morning. Tuesday morning. For a console that doesn't launch until Thursday at midnight.

I should've asked how many people were eBaying the thing.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 15, 2006, 05:31:21 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 15, 2006, 04:41:35 AM

It's typical asshattery from the PS3 fanboys.  Don't forget they've also had a whole year to refine the game.

Actually you've got it the other way around- the asshattery came from the 360 side of the fence- the source of the comparison was a website that posted the example shots to point out that the 360 version looks better. 

And, other than a few texture details and lighting on the car-just about everything about that 360 screenshot does look better to my eye.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: November 15, 2006, 05:45:02 AM »

I dunno, those pictures are a hard call.  The PS3 seems to have sharper textures, but then the 360 shot looks to be almost oversaturated or taken at a wrong angle or something, 'cause it's a whole lot darker than the PS3 one.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 15, 2006, 06:25:29 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 15, 2006, 04:41:35 AM

oops, from the way Hetz made it sound I assumed it was from a PS3 site.  well, you know what they say about making assumptions....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 15, 2006, 10:15:59 AM »

I was in Toys R Us today and was checking out some prices. PS3 controllers are going for $60 Cdn (and I thought 28 bucks was expensive) and the games were $55 Cdn.  A little less than that actually.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 15, 2006, 12:35:36 PM »

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/Entertainment/Detail?contentId=1480121&version=5&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=7.1.1
 eek

This is just nuts.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 15, 2006, 12:51:09 PM »

I have a feeling that all these early campers are going to be told to leave and come back on Thursday, BB has already kicked people off the curb in other cities so I wouldn't doubt it happening again.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 15, 2006, 12:52:52 PM »

This looks like it will be peoples last chance to get one online. CompUSA will offer a bundle online.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&N=201271&product_code=343142&Pn=PLAYSTATION_3_Console

only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 15, 2006, 02:31:24 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2006-11-14-ps3-problems_x.htm

USA Today has an article on the shortages... and the promotional "there's a huge shortage!" panic through the press begins.   Roll Eyes icon_biggrin icon_wink
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 02:33:12 PM by only1 » Logged

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 15, 2006, 04:11:04 PM »

So far from the reviews I've been reading, the PS3 SIXAXIS controller is getting better feedback than the Wii controllers!.  The reviews didn't really rave about the Wii for either Call of Duty 3 controls or Excite Truck but both NHL 2k7 and NBA 07, had good things to say about the SIXAXIS controller.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: November 15, 2006, 05:04:29 PM »

And via Media Create (a site that I used a lot when I was still a staff member with the site in reporting sales of gaming consoles in Japan), here's how poorly the PS3 sold in Japan:

Hardware:

PlayStation3 (60GB): 45,774
PlayStation3 (20GB): 35,865
Total: 81,639

Software:

Ridge Racer 7 - 21,654
Gundam Target in Sight - 21,309
Resistance - 13,545
Genji - 8,766
Sega Golf Club - 1,410
Total: 66,684

So, if I'm reading that right, at least (as true gamers more than likely bought more than one title), 14955 out of 81639 consoles were sold without games. And that only gives an attach rate (number of games sold per console) of .816. Embarrassing how many consoles are being sold on eBay, eh?

Oh, and via rumors (analysts), there will only be 150-200k units available at launch in the US.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 15, 2006, 05:17:15 PM »

A low attach rate in Japan does not necessarily mean that tons of units are being sold on Ebay. According to Bill Harris, the 360 only had an attach rate 0.91 in Japan (his PS3 attach rate numbers are a bit higher than yours - 0.98). Considering the lack of interest for the 360 in Japan, I doubt many of those units sold were going on Ebay.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 15, 2006, 05:19:59 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 15, 2006, 05:17:15 PM

A low attach rate in Japan does not necessarily mean that tons of units are being sold on Ebay. According to Bill Harris, the 360 only had an attach rate 0.91 in Japan (his PS3 attach rate numbers are a bit higher than yours - 0.98). Considering the lack of interest for the 360 in Japan, I doubt many of those units sold were going on Ebay.

Speculation at the time was that a lot of people bought 360s but were waiting on DoA 4 to be their first game. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: November 15, 2006, 05:20:21 PM »

(his PS3 attach rate numbers are a bit higher than yours - 0.98)

Everybody is giving different numbers right now as to the 'exact' number of units sold. I read the same post yet gave the link I did. It's all a matter of who you believe is 'right' so far.

And that could be a possibility. The big title of the PS3 launch is a FPS, which tend to sell poorly in Japan. So people could be just buying the thing for a cheap Blu-Ray player and waiting for a good game to purchase.

Random thought - didn't the 360 have some insane attach rate like 3:1 (3 games per console sold) or greater here in the US when it launched?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 15, 2006, 05:23:59 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 15, 2006, 05:20:21 PM

(his PS3 attach rate numbers are a bit higher than yours - 0.98)

Everybody is giving different numbers right now as to the 'exact' number of units sold. I read the same post yet gave the link I did. It's all a matter of who you believe is 'right' so far.

And that could be a possibility. The big title of the PS3 launch is a FPS, which tend to sell poorly in Japan. So people could be just buying the thing for a cheap Blu-Ray player and waiting for a good game to purchase.

Random thought - didn't the 360 have some insane attach rate like 3:1 (3 games per console sold) or greater here in the US when it launched?

Believe the rate was 3.9:1 in the US.  Highest ever if I remember correctly for any console.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 15, 2006, 05:28:19 PM »

And I think this is a stupid comment on Bill's part:

It's ridiculous that a console launches in less than a week and we haven't been told which chains are getting the most systems, or that procedures aren't already in place (and posted) to help us figure out where we want to go.

Is Nintendo or Sony supposed to issue an official press release stating: "We recommend that you go to Best Buy to purchase your system since we are giving them more units than Target and Walmart"???  That's ridiculous!  The only way to find out which chains get the most is from insiders at the chain (and he does link to the Target allocation finder) but that information is never going to come from the console manufacturer since they aren't going to burn retail partners in that manner other than a few select promotions (ie come to the Times Square Toys R Us for the official launch party or whatnot). 

Nintendo did their portion of the job when they sent out a press release a few weeks ago bragging about the number of systems in stores which clearly sent the message that they weren't having the supply issues that have plagued Sony and MS. 

I really don't know what more Bill expects from the console manufacturer at this point. 
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 15, 2006, 05:43:16 PM »

I picked up 3 PS3 games today at EB along with 2 Wii games. I got NBA2k7 (in 1080p!), Resistance and Genji. I also have Untold Legends and Ridge Racer 7 preordered.

Less than 48 hours to go! 

Oh and while I was there....they got their PS3 systems in!   icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: November 15, 2006, 05:52:57 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 15, 2006, 05:28:19 PM

I really don't know what more Bill expects from the console manufacturer at this point. 

At least general numbers. "The US is getting X million units at launch", for example. Like Sony said (and is apparently lying/changing).

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 15, 2006, 05:58:51 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 15, 2006, 05:52:57 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 15, 2006, 05:28:19 PM

At least general numbers. "The US is getting X million units at launch", for example. Like Sony said (and is apparently lying/changing).

Didn't Nintendo put that in their press release? I seem to recall they were aiming at 1.2 million units in the US at launch or something like that.

But what does that tell us other than it will be more plentiful than PS3?  We don't know the demand until it goes on sale.  If there are 2 million people in the US who want one on Day 1 then it's going to be an instant sellout.  If there are 500k who want one on Day 1, then there will be plenty the following week.  No one knows and it's out of Nintendo's power to tell people whether they need to line up or not. 
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 15, 2006, 06:31:04 PM »

here's Fry's ad for the PS3 Bundle (don't think you can order online)
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 15, 2006, 07:02:29 PM »

I just heard from a friend that they (I'm not sure yet if he meant Costco as a whole or not though) are not getting any in store for the first round.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 15, 2006, 07:03:30 PM »

Quote from: Austin on November 15, 2006, 07:02:29 PM

I just heard from a friend that they (I'm not sure yet if he meant Costco as a whole or not though) are not getting any in store for the first round.

Yeah they're apparently getting so few that they're just going to sell them online.  Smart of them.

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 15, 2006, 07:24:08 PM »

Oh boy....

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14464

This is going to be UGLY this Friday....

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 15, 2006, 07:34:37 PM »

Rhino has a store here locally and it's where i usually shop.  They told me a couple weeks back that they had their shipments cut from 7 to 1, so now it's looking like all are cut.  Ya it is gonna be reaaaaaaaal ugly.

And those lines where people are literally camping are just ridiculous.  Call me a sour sport, but why can't they be made to leave for loitering?  I can't imagine a manager putting up with people sleeping on the sidewalk for 2 more days (including however long they have already been there).

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 15, 2006, 08:02:27 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on November 15, 2006, 07:34:37 PM

Rhino has a store here locally and it's where i usually shop.  They told me a couple weeks back that they had their shipments cut from 7 to 1, so now it's looking like all are cut.  Ya it is gonna be reaaaaaaaal ugly.

And those lines where people are literally camping are just ridiculous.  Call me a sour sport, but why can't they be made to leave for loitering?  I can't imagine a manager putting up with people sleeping on the sidewalk for 2 more days (including however long they have already been there).

Actually, they could spin it into something positive along the lines of "Look how dedicated our customers are". The stores that kicked people out made a mistake IMO. Not too mention the extra press the stores will get, maybe even helped along by an anonymous employee.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 15, 2006, 08:16:21 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 15, 2006, 07:03:30 PM

Yeah they're apparently getting so few that they're just going to sell them online.  Smart of them.

gellar

What time will they start selling them?
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 15, 2006, 08:19:35 PM »

Just called my local Costco, and they said they are only selling them on Costco.com.  Though the guy first said they were getting some in, he just didn't know how many (until his manager piped up with the .com news after hearing the information that had just been given out).

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 15, 2006, 08:23:20 PM »

I've always wondered what would happen if someone decided to set up shop in front of the first person in line and be a bully about it, since it's not an official line or anything.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 15, 2006, 08:31:22 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 15, 2006, 08:23:20 PM

I've always wondered what would happen if someone decided to set up shop in front of the first person in line and be a bully about it, since it's not an official line or anything.

Mob rule would pwn him.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 15, 2006, 08:31:51 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 15, 2006, 08:16:21 PM

gellar

What time will they start selling them?

Wish I knew.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 15, 2006, 08:43:43 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 15, 2006, 08:31:22 PM

Quote from: Ridah on November 15, 2006, 08:23:20 PM

Mob rule would pwn him.

gellar

I was waiting in line for a 360 at Target last year and a full fledged brawl broke out when a group of guys attempted to jump to the front of the line at about 4am.  It was bad enough that the Police showed up and chased everybody away.  Luckily I went to Costco and got a better deal on the 360 anyway.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 15, 2006, 10:22:12 PM »

Review for Resistance on Gamespot 8.6. About to watch the vid review.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 15, 2006, 10:59:28 PM »

Well, now there is another controversy with the PS3.

It seems that the PS3 won't upscale games at all. Not just PS1/PS2 games, but all games. If your TV doesn't support 720p, but does support 1080i....you are SOL for Resistance and a bunch of other games. You will have to play it at 480p.

I can confirm that on the back of the games that I got, there is a "supported HD video output" box that lists what HD modes are supported.

Here is what I have:

Ridge Racer 7: 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
NBA 2k7: 1080p only
Gundam: 480p, 720p, 1080i
Madden 07: 480p, 720p
Resistance: 720p only
Genji: 720p only

I'm set, cause my HDTV supports 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p.....but most do not support all those resolutions.

Oh and there are 5 people outside Best Buy on one side of town and 3 at the other location on the other side of town near me! Crazy.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 15, 2006, 11:06:14 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 15, 2006, 10:59:28 PM

Here is what I have:

Ridge Racer 7: 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
NBA 2k7: 1080p only
Gundam: 480p, 720p, 1080i
Madden 07: 480p, 720p
Resistance: 720p only
Genji: 720p only

Help me, I'm HD illiterate.  Does this mean that if your TV doesn't support 1080p you wouldn't be able to play NBA in high def?  The only options are 1080p or 480i?
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 15, 2006, 11:48:47 PM »

The local Detroit news said that Best Buy is canceling all pre orders for the PS3 and issuing people a apology and a 10 dollar coupon...Hmmmm......

Bill at DW has a item up that is still rumour, but saying sony will only be shipping 140,000 units.  Better and better everyday..smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 15, 2006, 11:59:13 PM »

Quote from: GGMark on November 15, 2006, 11:48:47 PM

Bill at DW has a item up that is still rumour, but saying sony will only be shipping 140,000 units.  Better and better everyday..smile

Dubious Wallabies?   icon_wink
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 16, 2006, 12:08:40 AM »

I saw my first campers ever today outside my local Circuit City - three tents in the cold and rain with a bottle of Mountain Dew.  It was an amusing sight  icon_biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 16, 2006, 12:14:27 AM »

Quote from: GGMark on November 15, 2006, 11:48:47 PM

The local Detroit news said that Best Buy is canceling all pre orders for the PS3 and issuing people a apology and a 10 dollar coupon...Hmmmm......

They already did that last week... it's reported earlier in this thread.  The online preorder thing was an "oops" by Best Buy.  I got a free $10 coupon out of it.  Hooray.

gellar
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: