http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:17:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 Launch Thread  (Read 35959 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2006, 11:25:54 PM »

How is philosophy not relevant when you're talking about what people think are right and wrong?  My philosophy on what's right and wrong is how I choose my actions in life.  If I feel like some action isn't right, raising the cash payout isn't going to make it right.

Quote from: jblank
Why would I feel guilty since this is almost by itself paying for her gift?

Am I completely misinterpreting this statement, or are you saying that the large amount of profit involved is in itself a reason why you should not feel guilty?
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2006, 11:35:12 PM »

Why won't you let it go? Huh? Dude, I don't know you personally, but its been clash city between you and I since I have been here, and I don't know why. Just accept that what I am doing I am doing for the benefit of my wife, an unselfish act. You wanna judge me? Fine. Wanna label me "wrong"? Fine. Want to portray me as a selfish, greedy bastard, who is single handedly destroying the fiber of the gaming community? Fine. But for Christ's sake, as someone who not 20 minutes ago wanted this entire argument to stop, just knock it the fuck off, drop it, and lets just agree to disagree. The next step is me telling you where to stick your philosophy, permanently damaging our relationship here, and I REALLY want to avoid that, and any associated conflict here.

Unlike OO, I actually enjoy GT, its not a labor for me to come here, so really, I don't wanna argue. Please, as you said a few minutes ago, lets let the debate die. I'm asking politely, the next step is into an area that elevates my blood pressure and leads to me throwing out all sorts of attacks, and I don't wanna do that. Capice?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2006, 11:46:33 PM »

Sorry, I mistakenly thought "people start throwing philosophy...quoting Gandhi" was directed at me, someone must've deleted their post.

If asking politely is your goal, might I suggest using fewer "knock the fuck off"s in your message?  I don't think using "capice" as your closing statement adds much to the politeness either.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2006, 12:18:57 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 07, 2006, 11:46:33 PM

Sorry, I mistakenly thought "people start throwing philosophy...quoting Gandhi" was directed at me, someone must've deleted their post.

If asking politely is your goal, might I suggest using fewer "knock the fuck off"s in your message?  I don't think using "capice" as your closing statement adds much to the politeness either.

Again with the sarcasm. Man, do ya just wanna fight? Is that what it is? Capice, Italian for "understand" is now a negative? I was trying to keep it as light as I could and it sounded a helluva lot better than, "do you fucking understand".  That "people throwing philosophy/Gandhi" comment was not intended as an insult, no malice was directed at you. It's just a bit too deep for my tastes when philosophy meets video games, but I am sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Look man, you take my post however you want, but I'm doing my best to not go off here, and the two of us just agreeing to disagree, and then moving on (like when you said to let the debate die, remember that?) is whats best at this point. If you wanna keep jabbing at me though, go right ahead, be as big an asshole as you want, but my Democrats are getting ready to take back power, and that makes me happy, so I'm just gonna kick back, surf a bit on here, and watch some election coverage. Hopefully this just dies now and we can remove our virtual hands from each others throats.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 12:22:02 AM by jblank » Logged

warning

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2006, 12:44:38 AM »

Wow the last seven posts are the two of you arguing.  In a thread about a video game console.  On the internet.

How about taking it to PM's so the rest of us have a place to discuss the launch of the PS3?
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2006, 12:48:37 AM »

Quote from: warning on November 08, 2006, 12:44:38 AM

Wow the last seven posts are the two of you arguing.  In a thread about a video game console.  On the internet.

How about taking it to PM's so the rest of us have a place to discuss the launch of the PS3?

I've tried about 3 times to just drop it completely and its not working. I'm done arguing about it, I swear, in fact the wife has been looking over my shoulder periodically and just echoed sort of what you said just now. It's a video game console, we're being babies about it (her words) and people need to just grow up and get over it. I'm sure you two are right, and like I said, as far as I am concerned, the arguing is over.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2006, 10:04:54 PM »

Let the insanity begin!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shogmaster/sets/72157594366374545/

People are already getting in line.....

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2006, 10:46:35 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 08, 2006, 10:04:54 PM

Let the insanity begin!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shogmaster/sets/72157594366374545/

People are already getting in line.....

You've got to be fucking joking.

gellar
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2006, 11:09:32 PM »

Where the hell are the people? I see a guy with a bunch of chairs.

LiveTAG: happydog
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2006, 11:22:07 PM »

I love that there's a penguin first in line.  So random.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2006, 11:49:52 PM »

Two days until the release in Japan!  If it wasn't for the fact that it won't play Region 1 (that's Canada and America right?) encoded movies then I would probably be standing in line with everybody else on Saturday.  Well that and the fact that I'd have absolutely zero chance of getting one.  And the fact that I have to work on Saturday.  mad
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2006, 12:03:27 AM »

That has got to be the most idiotic thing i have ever seen anyone do.  I wonder why BB hasn't called the police for loitering?  It's obvious these freakin' idiots are not married or have a significant other because there would be noway someone would put up what that nonsense. 

If i EVER announce that i am doing such a stupid thing, someone please call my wife and let her know.........seriously.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2006, 12:09:36 AM »

Here are some pics from Bic Camera in Tokyo of one of the PS3 stands.  This maybe old news to everybody in America if EB Games have their stands up already (which they probably do).  Again forgive me if that's true.

First pic.  They're playing a demo of Ridge Racer right now.  It looked alright I guess.  You can see on the sign that they're on sale starting 11/11.  I suspect the 9:30-10:00 part is approximately how long they'll be available before you're screwed for the next 4 months.

Second pic.  Games.  It shows the price of the PS3 on the sign on the right.  The 20 gig one is priced at 49,990円.  Suspiciously enough there didn't seem to be a price for the 60 gig unit.  The launch games (according to the stand) look like it's: Ridge Racer 7, Genji, Gundam, Resistance, some sort of golf game (not Hot Shots), and that bloody domino type game that they are always playing on tv here with all the Kanji written on them.  Hardly the type of game I'd want to show off on my new PS3.  Maybe my PS One.  There might also be the Sonic game as well.  I don't see the game on the stand in my pic but it was playing on the TV.

Third pic.  Close up of the game cases themselves.  They're shorter and wider than the old PS2 cases and they're clear plastic.  Sorry if this is old news to everybody but it was new to me so I thought I'd post it! smile
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2006, 12:22:13 AM »

they have a PS3 demo unit up and running at the Target close to my apartment...saw a kid playing NBA 07 but didn't get any hands-on time myself yet...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 03:48:53 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2006, 12:48:31 AM »

I honestly have no idea why someone would kill themselves to get a PS3 when 360s are easily available, less expensive, and have a much larger library of games, including alot of the PS3 launch titles.  I could understand if Final Fantasy or MGS were coming out with it. Do people really want to play Resistance or watch Blu Ray movies that bad?

I genuinely do not understand it.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2006, 01:55:44 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 08, 2006, 11:49:52 PM

Two days until the release in Japan!  If it wasn't for the fact that it won't play Region 1 (that's Canada and America right?) encoded movies then I would probably be standing in line with everybody else on Saturday.  Well that and the fact that I'd have absolutely zero chance of getting one.  And the fact that I have to work on Saturday.  mad

Regions changed with Bluray.  America and Japan are in the same region so movie watching isn't an issue.  The only problem with a Japanese PS3 is that PS1 and PS2 games are still region encoded so those aren't playable. 
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2006, 02:15:53 AM »

Some Targets got PS3 KIOSKS today!

My friend tells me the one in our area has one, another friend says his local Target in Texas has one up, and he played 3 games and said they were really fantastic looking, but framerate/jittering issues that could be related to the low ram on the system.  Load times were a bitch he indicated, but that might just be the demo disc.

I am going to be out and about tomorrow, so I will swing by to check it out, I won't be buying one for another year or two, but at least I can say I played some stuff on it.   thumbsup

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2006, 04:00:50 AM »

I got a chance to play a kiosk that was set up at Best Buy today. I have to say I was very impressed.  I forget the name but I played an off road racing game, and watched a video for Lair.  The graphics blew me away.   I'd have to say they're probably better than anything I've seen on my 360 so far except maybe Gears of War.   The only downsides I saw was the system is HUGE and the controller is still the same ole PS2 controller, except the L2 and R2 buttons are now triggers.  The controller is not terrible, but i love the comfort of the 360 controller. 

They also had a Wii sitting next to it, but unfortunately it was not playable frown

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2006, 04:41:38 AM »

Quote from: faide on November 09, 2006, 04:00:50 AM

The only downsides I saw was the system is HUGE...
My curiosity after your comment led me to this interesting picture:

But that picture doesn't seem to mesh with this other comparison shot where they seem closer in size:

Which one is right?
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2006, 05:33:10 AM »

I'd say it was closer to the top one.  In the kiosk they had it standing upright and it looked really really tall.  Don't get me wrong, it's a sexy looking machine, just big slywink

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2006, 09:03:09 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 09, 2006, 04:41:38 AM

Quote from: faide on November 09, 2006, 04:00:50 AM

The only downsides I saw was the system is HUGE...
My curiosity after your comment led me to this interesting picture:

But that picture doesn't seem to mesh with this other comparison shot where they seem closer in size:

Which one is right?

Im fairly sure that the second picture is an older mockup of what the PS3 might eventually turn out to look like-but it didn't quite stay that small smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2006, 12:25:29 PM »

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2006, 12:42:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 09, 2006, 01:55:44 AM

Quote from: Canuck on November 08, 2006, 11:49:52 PM

Regions changed with Bluray.  America and Japan are in the same region so movie watching isn't an issue.  The only problem with a Japanese PS3 is that PS1 and PS2 games are still region encoded so those aren't playable. 

Dammit!!! If it wasn't for the whole "PS2/1 region encoding" then I would totally be out on Saturday for  a PS3!  Oh well.
And as for that size thing, it could be partially a perspective thing.  I mean if it's on top and you're taking a picture from a downward angle than whatever is on top is going to look bigger than it actually is.  No doubt that the console is actually bigger though.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2006, 03:25:29 PM »

Wha - lines already forming!?!? http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/index.php#7546

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2006, 03:36:38 PM »

Quote from: JLu on November 09, 2006, 03:25:29 PM

Check about 16 or so posts up.  There's a penguin in Hetz's link, so therefore it is better!  Tongue

Thank god the Wii is so small, or my entertainment center (either the current one or the one I'm looking at getting) wouldn't be able to hold everything when I finally get around to getting them.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2006, 03:40:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 09, 2006, 03:36:38 PM

Quote from: JLu on November 09, 2006, 03:25:29 PM

Check about 16 or so posts up.  There's a penguin in Hetz's link, so therefore it is better!  Tongue

Thank god the Wii is so small, or my entertainment center (either the current one or the one I'm looking at getting) wouldn't be able to hold everything when I finally get around to getting them.

D'oh!  I didn't make it past the big pictures in Tokyo.
What in the world is that penguin going to do with a PS3...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2006, 03:40:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 09, 2006, 03:36:38 PM

Thankfully with both PS3 and Wii are fully Backwards compatible I can  just have them take up the space that my PS2 and Cube currently occupy in my entertainment center. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2006, 03:56:23 PM »

Quote from: JLu on November 09, 2006, 03:40:39 PM

It could be Pen-Pen....

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2006, 04:20:02 PM »

Probably throw it up on Ebay.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2006, 04:47:50 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 09, 2006, 04:20:02 PM

Probably throw it up on Ebay.

stupid speculator penguins!  I hope their auctions fall flat!!!!  Tongue

Because I can,
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2006, 08:03:54 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 09, 2006, 12:48:31 AM

I honestly have no idea why someone would kill themselves to get a PS3 when 360s are easily available, less expensive, and have a much larger library of games, including alot of the PS3 launch titles.  I could understand if Final Fantasy or MGS were coming out with it. Do people really want to play Resistance or watch Blu Ray movies that bad?

Its simple.

People want to be the first ones on the block with the new toy. It doesn't matter if the first production run is unreliable or prone to defects, or that they have to pay a premium for it.

The only release title could be a box filled with shit and a manual, idiots from all around the world would still wait in line a week ahead of time for a chance at the console.

Welcome to the Bovine.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2006, 08:13:22 PM »

They might want the PS3 games that they see, want a Blu Ray player and not like/or care about FF or MGS.

Not everyone likes, or wants, the same things.

Pretty easy to understand.  icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 09, 2006, 08:13:22 PM

They might want the PS3 games that they see, want a Blu Ray player and not like/or care about FF or MGS.

Not only that but, at least for me, it's a lot easier to justify big purchases at Christmas.  Although I've since decided against it, I was originally planning on getting a PS3 this year not on the basis of launch games but just because it's pretty easy to get my wife to agree that I'll get a new game console as my big Christmas present.  If I decide I want one in June of next year, on the other hand, forking over $500 is a lot harder to justify.  That's the exact reason I got a 360 last year- the launch lineup pretty much sucked for me but I knew there would be games out in the first year on the 360 that would make me happy to have one, so Christmas seemed the time to do it. 

So If I had decided to get a PS3 this year, it wouldn't be because Resistance by itself justifies $500.  It would be because it would be worth $500 to me to play Resistance, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, etc over the course of the next year plus all of the other stuff that's bound to hit for five or six years after that.  And on the basis of six years or more of entertainment (what I've got from my PS2), $500 really doesn't seem that expensive to me. 

That's why I always end up owning all of the consoles- for about the price of a top end gaming PC, I can buy all three consoles at launch (or close to it) and get five or more years of life out of them. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2006, 08:37:22 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 09, 2006, 08:13:22 PM

I understand that if they want to play Warhawk and Resistance I guess.  But if they want Call of Duty, or Madden, or Oblivion....

I am usually one of those guys who HAS to have a console at launch.  In fact my wife asked me what my plans were concerning camping out for a PS3.  paranoid But I thought about it and I realized that unless I REALLY want to play Resistance right now there is no compelling reason to do it.

The 360 was different last year because it was the only HD capable next gen console available.  But that's not the case this year.  I just wonder if those guys who walk out of BB after waiting in line for 2 days with a PS3, Oblivion, Madden, and Call of Duty 3 will know that they could have walked into any store 2 weeks earlier and purchased a console with those same games for $200 less.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2006, 08:48:24 PM »

A very personal decision.

I would want the system that has the best hockey game available (not that the PS3 has this), but no way, for a second, would I ever think anyone else would be that stupid. Something like that might be enough for people to fork over $600.

Backwards compatability? Blu Ray, Bluetooth, 1080p, etc. - Who knows what compels people to want something like this. Too subjective.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2006, 08:49:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 09, 2006, 08:31:00 PM

Not only that but, at least for me, it's a lot easier to justify big purchases at Christmas.  Although I've since decided against it, I was originally planning on getting a PS3 this year not on the basis of launch games but just because it's pretty easy to get my wife to agree that I'll get a new game console as my big Christmas present.  If I decide I want one in June of next year, on the other hand, forking over $500 is a lot harder to justify. 

I had never thought of it that way.  That is a good point.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2006, 09:03:45 PM »

I was told that Resistance can be completed in roughly 1 day, if that makes any difference for you...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2006, 09:05:23 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 09, 2006, 09:03:45 PM

I was told that Resistance can be completed in roughly 1 day, if that makes any difference for you...

Multiplayer is supposed to be very strong, for those who care. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2006, 09:31:03 PM »

They should have gotten a dang Twisted Metal game ready for PS3 this year, Twisted Metal Black is the game that sold me on PS2. FF and MGS can eat my ass, other games do what they do better time and time again.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2006, 09:36:30 PM »

Well, Twisted Metal creator David Jaffe's PS3 downloadable game "Calling All Cars" supposedly takes some gameplay inspirations from Twisted Metal and it will be available early next year I believe. 

Maybe a true Twisted Metal game will be in the pipeline once Incog finishes Warhawk. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: