http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:07:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 -- Keep it or sell it?  (Read 7246 times)
pingwrx
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2006, 02:43:31 PM »

Are you sure all those titles are all backwards compatible and will run on the PS3?

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2006, 02:59:07 PM »

I thought all ps2 titles (well "virtually" all) were BC due to the hardware emulation?

Since you still haven't decided msduncan (for some reason I always mistook your name for "Ms. Duncan"  icon_wink) I'm joining with the sell it crowd, not because it's a bad system, but because as others already pointed out, you can always pick up down the road somewhere.
That means, a better price, a bigger game selection, possible hardware revisions (and definitely improvements over the guinea pig batch that you're now holding) and a bigger community.

You can get a PS2 for $100 new if you look around a bit (I got 2 of them for $99 at brandsmart during their regular sales) which is a hell of a lot better than $600. You can pick up some of the older ps2 games you've been wanting to play and then eventually, upgrade to the PS3 and by then Sony should have worked out any problems they've been having with BC.
Or you can just spend that money on a bunch of Wii and 360 games, but let the guniea pigs be Sony's right hand experiment so when you do eventually get one, you won't have to worry about all the issues the guinea pigs have had to put up with.  icon_biggrin

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2006, 03:23:16 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx on December 09, 2006, 02:43:31 PM

Are you sure all those titles are all backwards compatible and will run on the PS3?

Yes, they do. I have all of them and they run perfectly. Very few have real problems.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2006, 03:34:12 PM »

Check this to see if your games work with the PS3 as of now:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

That is one thing I really like about the PS3 over the 360. I don't have to wonder if the PS2 game I have will work or not...since nearly all of them do.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2006, 03:49:27 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on December 09, 2006, 02:59:07 PM

You can get a PS2 for $100 new if you look around a bit (I got 2 of them for $99 at brandsmart during their regular sales) which is a hell of a lot better than $600. You can pick up some of the older ps2 games you've been wanting to play and then eventually, upgrade to the PS3 and by then Sony should have worked out any problems they've been having with BC.
Or you can just spend that money on a bunch of Wii and 360 games, but let the guniea pigs be Sony's right hand experiment so when you do eventually get one, you won't have to worry about all the issues the guinea pigs have had to put up with.  icon_biggrin

You just earned back your creds with me after losing them in the global warming thread.  icon_wink

Seriously, this is our plan..  We got the "Cube", eventually when the Wii is cheap and has a library, we'll upgrade to that and take our "Cube" games over with us..   This Xmas the kids get a PS2, then whenthe PS3 is cheap and has a big library, we'll go over to that and take our nice PS2 library with us.

I see little point in buying new generation consoles, the gaming glut on them is nearly intolerable anyway, why punish yourself?

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2006, 03:57:35 PM »

I see little point in buying new generation consoles, the gaming glut on them is nearly intolerable anyway, why punish yourself?
....because I'm a masochist?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2006, 04:02:01 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 09, 2006, 03:49:27 PM

Why spend the money on high-end PCs?  There are plenty of games from 2 years ago that will run fine.  Why does one need to spend money on high-end video cards and processors?

Isn't it kind of the same situation?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2006, 04:30:58 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 09, 2006, 04:02:01 PM

Quote from: Kobra on December 09, 2006, 03:49:27 PM

Why spend the money on high-end PCs?  There are plenty of games from 2 years ago that will run fine.  Why does one need to spend money on high-end video cards and processors?

Isn't it kind of the same situation?

I guess people don't!  But keep in mind, many people use their PCs for more than just gaming, and sometimes things demand performance.  I would say it makes sense to stay behind the curve with PC's as well!  Also keep in mind PC gaming doesn't come with generational gluts like consoles, pretty much a steady stream with PCs..

With consoles, there is a pretty clear glut of games when a new console comes out, that takes a good 1-2 years to fill up.  By that point, there are usually plenty of system discounts, used games, package deals, and other stuff available.  I can remember buying several consoles in the past where I had nothing to play after I blew through the first few titles, and the system was a giant "Dust Collector" while I waited for the libraries to fill up.

Wait a bit, and you have legions of AAA titles at discount/used prices to snap up and enjoy, at a fraction of the cost.  I think the sales numbers  that indicate the PS2 is still outselling every other box shows a lot of people have this same logic.  The PS2 is the "Sweetspot" this Christmas IMO..  Next Christmas it will be a no brainer, the Xbox360 should rule the sales charts.  (or so I think)

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2006, 05:43:01 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 09, 2006, 02:35:14 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm still mulling this over and trying to decide what to do.   My wife says she genuinely doesn't mind if I choose for her to give that to me.   I don't think she's bluffing.    She's just been as busy as she could be this holiday season trying to get everything together for our trip while also getting the kids' christmas ready.

Anyway, that being said:   would it make a difference in anyone's advice if I said that I don't currently own a PS2?    I could fill the empty spaces during the long dead period for PS3 games with stuff like Kingdom Hearts and Colossus, and Bully....?    Just a thought.

I ponder this still.

No! No! NOOO!  Are you really thinking of using a PS3 as your primary gaming machine to play Playstation 2 titles? That is like putting 50,000 miles on a corvette while driving at speeds around 10MPH. Why wear and tear a $650 machine when you can get a PS2 for 99 dollars? Hell, buy a PS2 and 15-20 games.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2006, 06:17:49 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 09, 2006, 05:43:01 PM

No! No! NOOO!  Are you really thinking of using a PS3 as your primary gaming machine to play Playstation 2 titles? That is like putting 50,000 miles on a corvette while driving at speeds around 10MPH. Why wear and tear a $650 machine when you can get a PS2 for 99 dollars? Hell, buy a PS2 and 15-20 games.

LoL!    Now this is a great post.  smile

Anyway... the analogy is good, but I prefer this one:   It's like buying a corvette, using it to race, but also using it as your daily driver.

I'm assuming based on many posts here that there will be a long desolate period for the PS3 in the coming months.    Would that be accurate?         

Hetz, you own all three machines do you not?   How do you intend to pace your gaming, what will you do during the dead periods, etc?
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2006, 06:29:47 PM »

Don't ask Hetz about that he buys every game that comes out he must have a money printing machine or something. icon_biggrin

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2006, 06:40:17 PM »

I'll probably pick up a PS3 sometime next year...and the first game I play will be Rez.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2006, 07:30:39 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 09, 2006, 06:17:49 PM

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 09, 2006, 05:43:01 PM

LoL!    Now this is a great post.  smile

Anyway... the analogy is good, but I prefer this one:   It's like buying a corvette, using it to race, but also using it as your daily driver.

I'm assuming based on many posts here that there will be a long desolate period for the PS3 in the coming months.    Would that be accurate?         

Yeah... the quality titles for the PS3 won't be around till March at the earliest, best as I can tell.

That's the reason I haven't been more OMGMUSTHAVEONENOW about it.  I figure between now and March, I'll stumble across one and pick it up then.

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2006, 07:54:52 PM »

Quote from: msduncan

Hetz, you own all three machines do you not?   How do you intend to pace your gaming, what will you do during the dead periods, etc?

Yes, I do and no matter what others here say, I don't buy every game that comes out. As for what I will be doing during the dead period with the PS3? Well that is where the Playstation Store comes in. They plan on having a ton of original games available on it before March. Add to that the downloadable PS1 games, Neo-Geo games, backwords compatibility (Final Fantasy XII, I will beat you one day!!), and games like Motorstorm (out next week), I will be set until March when some heavy hitters are coming out. I plan on doing the same thing with the 360 and Wii (Live Arcade and Virtual Console).

Do what feels best to you....but I have to say the 40 man games of Resistance online are the most fun I have had with a multiplayer game in a LONG time....and despite what some here joke about....there are always some going everytime I have logged on to play. The really inventive weapons make it lots of fun. Along with all the modes of play. Anyway, come join us! I have about 10 or so people on my friends list on the PS Network from here and OO, so some of you are getting it, even if you don't want to reveal yourself to the 360 wolves here.    icon_wink

As a side note....I saw my first PS3 today at Target in the wild. It was a 20 GB system. I have yet to see any more Wii's. I didn't see a 360 in the wild until Feb/March of this year. Of course, it doesn't mean much...but just thought I would let you guys know.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 07:58:27 PM by Hetz » Logged

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2006, 07:59:09 PM »

The 360 also shipped 2.5 times more than the ps3 did, thus slowing immediate replenishments.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2006, 08:37:02 PM »

It sounds like you're looking for a reason to keep it, msduncan, and if that's the case just do so and enjoy it.  It may not be what I would do, but my situation is different than yours as is everybody elses.  You should be able to get some great playtime out of a couple new games and some PS2 games until the next wave of releases hits next spring. 

To clarify on what Hetz said, the Japanese version of Motorstorm (without online) will be released next week.  The US version with online won't be out until March at least. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2006, 09:05:47 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 09, 2006, 08:37:02 PM

It sounds like you're looking for a reason to keep it, msduncan, and if that's the case just do so and enjoy it.  It may not be what I would do, but my situation is different than yours as is everybody elses.  You should be able to get some great playtime out of a couple new games and some PS2 games until the next wave of releases hits next spring. 

To clarify on what Hetz said, the Japanese version of Motorstorm (without online) will be released next week.  The US version with online won't be out until March at least. 

The bigger issue is that I was a bird in a former life:   that is I love shiny new things and like to carry them back to my nest and guard over them jealously.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2006, 10:02:48 PM »

To clarify that....the Japanese version works perfectly with the US system and is in full English. So, unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY want online play....why wait when you can have a AAA game right now?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2006, 10:10:32 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 09, 2006, 10:02:48 PM

To clarify that....the Japanese version works perfectly with the US system and is in full English. So, unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY want online play....why wait when you can have a AAA game right now?

Uhhh because its an obviously gimped version of the full game? Multiplayer is HUGELY important to people, especially on a hardcore gaming board like this one-many people here don't buy games without a strong multiplayer component. I am sure the SP is fun and the game is going to be quite good, but it is misleading at best to pass it off as a complete game when its missing, you know, an entire feature set.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2006, 10:40:26 PM »

Keep the PS3 msduncan.  The CeeKay commands it.

and they gimped Motorstorm??? are they at least going to give a discount if you end up buying the version with MP?  Sounds like they rushed it out the door so the PS3 could have a supposed AAA title exclusive for it's launch.  Kinda lame, even when I ty the Hetz colored glasses on.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2006, 11:16:41 PM »

That review of Full Metal Jacket said nothing negative about the HD-DVD version that wasn't also applied to the DVD version and the movie in general.  The reviewer disliked the look of the movie in general and just said that HD-DVD doesn't make it look any better.  That's like someone who hates the color red in general saying that a red painting looks just as bad in high def as it does in standard, which is a no brainer.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2006, 12:11:45 AM »

A quick look of closed ebay auctions just now shows that the prices have come down drastically.  They're hovering in the 750 to 850 ranges now.

With ebay and paypal fees your profit margin is slipping.

However, you could wait it out and see if there's a spike at Christmas and then sell it or just keep it.

Personally, there's nothing out there I want to play on PS3. Resistance is the only title that looks good to me and nearly every review I've read/heard/whatevers says that it's rather derivative.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2006, 12:38:04 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 09, 2006, 10:10:32 PM

Quote from: Hetz on December 09, 2006, 10:02:48 PM

Uhhh because its an obviously gimped version of the full game? Multiplayer is HUGELY important to people, especially on a hardcore gaming board like this one-many people here don't buy games without a strong multiplayer component. I am sure the SP is fun and the game is going to be quite good, but it is misleading at best to pass it off as a complete game when its missing, you know, an entire feature set.

Multiplayer (over the net, it still has local multiplayer) on a racing game is not important to me in the slightest, at least not in console games....so it's not gimped in anyway for me. I can't stand the idiots that I usually get grouped with. Not fun at all. Maybe it would be for you, but it's not for everyone. 

As long as the single player game is there, it's a complete game to me. It's not like they are releasing the game with only 1/2 of the tracks or something.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 12:39:55 AM by Hetz » Logged

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2006, 12:56:56 AM »

Leaning toward keeping it now.   

What extra stuff does this 60g version have other than the 40gb of extra space?  Doesn't it come with some cables or something?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2006, 01:22:22 AM »

60g comes with a built in card reader and built in wifi.  That and the extra 20gb of space are the only differences.

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2006, 01:34:36 AM »

Quote from: gellar on December 10, 2006, 01:22:22 AM

60g comes with a built in card reader and built in wifi.  That and the extra 20gb of space are the only differences.

gellar

Extra 40 gigs of space you mean, 60Gb vs 20GB.  icon_smile

Also, I have found the card reader to be very useful with having a PSP. It makes it a snap to transfer movies/music/games etc... back and forth.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2006, 01:38:35 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 10, 2006, 01:34:36 AM

Quote from: gellar on December 10, 2006, 01:22:22 AM

gellar

Extra 40 gigs of space you mean, 60Gb vs 20GB.  icon_smile

Also, I have found the card reader to be very useful with having a PSP. It makes it a snap to transfer movies/music/games etc... back and forth.

Math > Gellar.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2006, 05:00:55 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 08, 2006, 04:44:12 PM

BTW -- is there a way to connect the PS3 or the 360 to a monitor via DVI input?

I bought this HDMI-DVI cable:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=198467

I tried hooking the PS3 up to my TV and my 22" LCD monitor using this cable.  Neither one of them would accept the signal from the PS3.  They both could tell that there was some kind of signal coming from it, but it wouldn't display it.

YMMV whether or not it works.  It didn't with mine, so it might not with yours.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2006, 12:23:55 PM »

If you do keep it, this week Best Buy has a sale where you get a free $20 Gift Card when you buy two PS3 games.  thumbsup

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2006, 06:02:13 PM »

I'll cross post this here.  I asked at OO and nobody knew:

How does this whole 720i, 720p etc thing fit in with monitors?

Say I have a slightly aging Dell 2001fp monitor and I wanted to connect a PS3 to it via an HDMI to DVI converter. What sort of results would I get? A non-HD connection, or a 720i or 720p or something completely different?

Although I'm a bit discouraged that Graham couldn't get this to work.   Maybe it's a no-go?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: