http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:47:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 -- Keep it or sell it?  (Read 6953 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2006, 03:08:49 PM »

I've heard wild varying reviews here at Gamingtrend and OO on whether this machine is worth having or not.

Luck has it I walked into an EBgames yesterday and they were unboxing a shipment of 8 60 gig PS3's, and naturally I bought one just in case.

1. It's expensive
2. Prices on eBay have come down drastically
3. Wife says I can opt to keep it BUT it would be my one and only Christmas present (and I'm less concerned about myself having one present than I am her being secretly disappointed she couldn't get me some surprises or whatever
4. I own a Wii and an Xbox360 in case that matters

It sits on my kitchen table ready to be returned, sold or wisked away to be wrapped up and put under the Christmas tree.

What should I do?

** this is a cross post from one I made on OO, but I figure you guys are are focused on consoles so I wanted your opinions
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 03:11:28 PM »

I'd sell it on eBay for profit (100 bux is still more than you had before you sold it, right?). Then you spend that money on her; she sounds like a keep'er  icon_biggrin.

You could also offer it to someone here at low-no profit if someone is clamoring for one.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 03:12:16 PM »

As noted, the opinions vary wildly over whether or not to keep it or e-Bay it. Personally, I'm not buying one for a long, long time if at all. My reason is simple - no games for it that I'm interested in. I'd personally use that as your barometer. If you absolutely have to play Resistance or any of the other PS3 games that are out now then hang onto it. If not, then see what e-Bay could bring.

/shrug

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:18:35 PM »

For me, there isn't any need to keep it as there is only one game until at least March worth having on the system.  I would sell it, if I were you, make a profit, and buy one when there are some games worth the price.  They will be plentiful then, unless Sony still can't get their shit together.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 03:20:57 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 08, 2006, 03:08:49 PM

** this is a cross post from one I made on OO, but I figure you guys are are focused on consoles so I wanted your opinions

Correction: We used to be focused only on consoles, but have been doing quite well on PC coverage for some time.  It's part of the reason why we were glad to get rid of the 'consolegold' moniker.

That said, I vote return it.  The best games that are out already you can get on the 360, and 600 bucks isn't worth it for Resistance.  Ebay isn't worth the hassle.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 03:26:07 PM »

The mere fact that you are considering keeping it says to me that you actually might want it.

Keep it!

icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 03:29:01 PM »

I'd say either return it or sell it to one of the members of either board (if anyone is interested that is  icon_wink).  eBay can be a pain in the arse sometimes, so if you don't think you can make a decent profit I'd avoid it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 03:32:38 PM »

If you already have both a Wii and an Xbox 360, I can't think of a reason to have a PS3 at this point.  I'd go ahead and unload it somewhere and pick one up down the road.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 03:33:00 PM »

Keep it!!!!

Don't listen to those other people. Resistance rocks and Untold Legends is lots of fun as well. You can also play co-op over the net! If you keep it, join me for some 40 player multiplayer action in Resistance. icon_biggrin  Hey, and there are some great Blu-Ray movies as well.  thumbsup

I bet the responses on this board will be 90% for selling it though...  thumbsdown

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 03:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 08, 2006, 03:32:38 PM

If you already have both a Wii and an Xbox 360, I can't think of a reason to have a PS3 at this point.  I'd go ahead and unload it somewhere and pick one up down the road.

I can:

Resistance
Motorstorm
Lemmings
Blu-Ray movies
NEO-GEO Games
Calling All Cars
Ability to download PS1 games and play them on your PSP and PS3

All of those are a no-go on the other consoles.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 03:45:58 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 08, 2006, 03:35:30 PM

I can:

Resistance
Motorstorm
Lemmings
Blu-Ray movies
NEO-GEO Games
Calling All Cars

Wow...the best you can come back with is Blue Ray, a David Jaffe arcade title, an old PC game, old PSX games, and old Ne0 Geo games?  Oh, and Motorstorm, which illustrates my point that the system isn't worth buying until Spring.  Sell it and buy it again in the Spring.

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 03:47:49 PM »

Im with HETZ here.

Keep the damn thing, just the fact that you are questioning means you want it.

ITs sexy.

I would keep it, even though I am not actively seeking one out until there is a game worth playng.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 03:50:29 PM »

"Lemmings"

Absolutely. You definitely need the Cell Broadband powered, $600 PS3 to get your Lemmings fix  Roll Eyes.

;-) Just kidding with you Hetz.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 03:54:46 PM »

If it were me I would probably sell it for a few reasons.  First, it seems like you probably have lots of other gaming to do with the Wii, 360 and PC and there isn't quite enough unique content to justify the purchase yet (to me).  I also avoid the launch hardware game of Russian roulette.  

More importantly,  perhaps, is the fact that it would please your wife to be able to buy you surprises instead of you buying this for yourself right now.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 08, 2006, 03:45:58 PM

Wow...the best you can come back with is Blue Ray, a David Jaffe arcade title, an old PC game, old PSX games, and old Ne0 Geo games?  Oh, and Motorstorm, which illustrates my point that the system isn't worth buying until Spring.  Sell it and buy it again in the Spring.

Don't forget Poland... er, Resistance!

MSD, I forgot to mention you should look at the games coming out and that are out and decide if you actually want to play any of them right away.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 04:03:39 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 08, 2006, 03:35:30 PM

I can:

Resistance
Motorstorm
Lemmings
Blu-Ray movies
NEO-GEO Games
Calling All Cars

Resistance and Motorstorm are OK I guess if you want to add another $120 to the investment.  Everything on that list from Lemmings down personally doesnt excite me in the least.  I would say take it back and let your wife buy you christmas presents.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 04:04:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 08, 2006, 04:02:00 PM

Quote from: The Grue on December 08, 2006, 03:45:58 PM

Don't forget Poland... er, Resistance!

MSD, I forgot to mention you should look at the games coming out and that are out and decide if you actually want to play any of them right away.

Nah, I can't forget it.  It's why I think there will be more than one game worth buying come Spring when Motorstorm comes out.  And before anyone calls me a Sony hater, I have owned a PS and I own a PS2 and PSP.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 04:06:00 PM »

Sell it, but wait until the week before Christmas to do so, then buy it again next summer or so. Prices should be $1,000 for the 60GB version around Christmas, thats a decent profit.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 04:06:10 PM »

Don't listen to those other people. Resistance rocks and Untold Legends is lots of fun as well. You can also play co-op over the net! If you keep it, join me for some 40 player multiplayer action in Resistance. icon_biggrin  Hey, and there are some great Blu-Ray movies as well.  thumbsup
Clarification. You cannot play Resistance co-op over the net.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 04:07:44 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 08, 2006, 03:33:00 PM

Keep it!!!!

I bet the responses on this board will be 90% for selling it though...  thumbsdown

Sony should hire you, after all, you seem to be solely responsible for propping the console up right now.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 04:09:29 PM »

Resistance
Good game.  Agreed.
Motorstorm
What if you don't like racing?
Lemmings
Looks good on my PSP already.
Blu-Ray movies
Watch The Fifth Element and you'll disagree with your own statement.  SOME movies look good, but at 35 bucks a pop?  No.
NEO-GEO Games
  icon_rolleyes
Calling All Cars
Never even heard of this...
I own all the PS1 games I want.  I'll just play them and not pay for it twice.

The VC on the Wii would disagree with you.

Seriously Hetz, I'm all for keeping the system, I'm enjoying it a lot, but the reasons you laid out are kinda thin bud.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 04:14:14 PM »

Ultimately, as a married man I think this comes down to what would make your wife happy.  You currently have some great gaming in the 360 and Wii.  The PS3 WILL be worth owning, but for right now, is it worth dissapointing your wife and robbing her of the chance and desire to please you in her shopping for you for Christmas.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 04:15:07 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 08, 2006, 04:09:29 PM

Seriously Hetz, I'm all for keeping the system, I'm enjoying it a lot, but the reasons you laid out are kinda thin bud.

This perked my ears.   What would be your reasons for keeping it?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 04:20:02 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 08, 2006, 04:06:10 PM

Clarification. You cannot play Resistance co-op over the net.

Sorry I worded that poorly. You can play Untold Legends co-op over the net. That is what I ment.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 04:20:53 PM »

I don't know how much of a factor it is, but don't forget that the current models have hardware emulation for backwards compatibility, while in the future the emulation will be done by software.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 04:23:27 PM »

Resistance
Good game.  Agreed.
Motorstorm
Lemmings
Blu-Ray movies
Watch The Fifth Element and you'll disagree with your own statement.  SOME movies look good, but at 35 bucks a pop?  No.
NEO-GEO Games
  icon_rolleyes
Calling All Cars

Neo-Geo games and PS1 titles are coming to the VC? I seriously doubt that. Fifth Element, yeah that doesn't look hot but there are a ton that look great. There are duds for HD-DVD as well, that doesn't mean that the whole format sucks.

As for the other stuff, it's all personal opinion. Those reasons are why I would keep it. YMMV, of course.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:25:06 PM by Hetz » Logged

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2006, 04:24:07 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 08, 2006, 04:15:07 PM

Same here. What are your reasons for keeping it?

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2006, 04:30:37 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 08, 2006, 04:20:53 PM

I don't know how much of a factor it is, but don't forget that the current models have hardware emulation for backwards compatibility, while in the future the emulation will be done by software.

What exactly does that mean?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006, 04:31:50 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 08, 2006, 04:15:07 PM

My reasons for keeping it are simple and largely based on my personal situation.  Here are a few highlights:
1.) I have to review stuff for the site.  Ok, thats going to be only my reason, but its job 1 for my PS3
2.) The Hollywood video 1 block away from my house rents HD-DVD and BluRay movies.  No 35 dollar purchases here. smile
3.) Eventually I would have gotten one, so why not enjoy it now?  If the case is in hand, I can't see a reason to wait. 
4.) Backwards compatability will eventually allow me to play Guitar Hero I and II on my PS3 (adapter? somethin) making my PS2 obsolete.
(which reminds me...I have a PS3 to PS2 memory card adapter for sale.  I only needed it the one time to transfer my saves.)
5.) Automatic bump to 480p for all PS2 titles is nice for most titles. (and terrible for others)  Your mileage may vary.
6.) Exclusives.  There are still a few, and I want them.  Since the Ebay market is all but dead, I'll keep my PS3 until those system-sellers roll around. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006, 04:32:01 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 08, 2006, 04:30:37 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on December 08, 2006, 04:20:53 PM

What exactly does that mean?

And where did you hear it?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
unbreakable
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 04:39:43 PM »

According to Sony, the PS3 is easily worth $124,000,000 and your first-born child.  At $600, it's a bargain.  thumbsup
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 04:44:12 PM »

BTW -- is there a way to connect the PS3 or the 360 to a monitor via DVI input?
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 04:57:51 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 08, 2006, 03:54:46 PM

More importantly,  perhaps, is the fact that it would please your wife to be able to buy you surprises instead of you buying this for yourself right now.  

That, plus the fact you have a Wii and 360 already right now, are the main reasons why you shouldn't keep it. By the time the system becomes a must-have for you (it obviously isn't yet or you wouldn't be debating what to do with it) they'll be easier to find and maybe even cheaper.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 05:09:39 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 08, 2006, 04:23:27 PM

Resistance
Good game.  Agreed.
Motorstorm
Lemmings
Blu-Ray movies
NEO-GEO Games
  icon_rolleyes
Calling All Cars

Neo-Geo games and PS1 titles are coming to the VC? I seriously doubt that. Fifth Element, yeah that doesn't look hot but there are a ton that look great. There are duds for HD-DVD as well, that doesn't mean that the whole format sucks.

As for the other stuff, it's all personal opinion. Those reasons are why I would keep it. YMMV, of course.

Bull. Check 20 random reviews at dvdtalk.com of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies and tell me there are a "ton" that look great. Even many of the VC-1 coded BR discs fail to meet the quality of HD-DVD titles.

Aren't you the same person 8 months ago that was ripping the shit out of BR, saying it was done before it gets started, and would never equal the quality of HD-DVD? You are the John Kerry of gaming Hetz, and thats ok, because I do like you (and Kerry), but you are all over the place on stuff. You really come off like you are trying to sell your decision to jump on the PS3 to us, like you are justifying it, when you don't have to, you like it, God knows we know you like it, but you wanna ram it down our throats over and over. STOP.....We love ya Tongue, we will still love ya, regardless of whether we are salivating over the PS3, or not.

I have given you a pass on a lot of your comments, but this little flip flop I had to comment on the "quality of BR" I had to comment on, because its bunk, and probably going to fail in the long run. NOBODY should base their decision to buy a PS3 on Blu-Ray alone, and the inverse for the 360 and HD-DVD is true as well.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 05:17:52 PM »

If you can afford it, keep it.  You're going to likely get one eventually and it'll be the same price then as it is now (assuming you aren't going to wait 2+ years).

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 05:19:13 PM »

Oh and if you are selling (at retail), I'm buying slywink.

gellar
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 05:26:14 PM »

Keeping or not keeping a console should always be based on the exclusives out now, and the ones coming out soon. If there are enough PS3 exclusives to make you want it, then by all means keep it.

If you decide to not keep it, don't return it. Sell it and make a profit.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 05:27:18 PM »

Quote from: JCC on December 08, 2006, 05:26:14 PM

Sell it and make a profit.

SHUSH, YOU.

gellar
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 05:27:32 PM »

Sell it..   Rebuy it next year for less $$ with 10 times the game selection.

PS: Make it a poll next time.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2006, 05:30:02 PM »

well,with it being a first generation of ps3.........i would sell it,as you never know some problems may crop up with the system....360 had its problems for some people,hopefully the Wii wont be the same...but the ps3,thats a machine that is TRYING to outdo the 360

or sell it and wait for it to go down in price,if you already own the 360 and the Wii,then i can guarentee that there are gonna be some great games for those two machines....will you have time with a third batch of games?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: