http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 11:07:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 -- Impressions part 2  (Read 1732 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2007, 02:38:45 PM »

Online --   I'd have to rate the online component of the PS3 far lower than the 360.   I LOVE being constantly connected and in touch with the 360, and furthermore the interface is far better.   

On the 360 I instantly know when a friend comes online.   I like this.

Resistance, Fall of Man --   Wow!   Graphics are beautiful, story is great.   I haven't felt this compelled to finish a shooter since Halo.   Great starter for the PS3.   Hope all the games are like this.

Side notes:   Still continually impressed with how quiet this machine is.    I actually USE this thing as a part of my home entertainment system for watching movies.   I do NOT use the 360 the same way because it's so loud I've always got the impression the thing would go into meltdown if I used it all the time and wind up not working anymore for my games.    Probably unfounded, but still!    PS3's quiet nature just makes you think it's technically more sound than the 360.

Controller:   Not sure what the deal is with this, but my controller battery ran down, and I plugged it into it's USB cable and left it overnight.    Next day I got the controller down and it started giving me signals that it was running out of battrey power again after only about 20 minutes of play.    Maybe I'm charging it wrong or something?

Overall I'm still impressed with the machine.   thumbsup

bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:56:23 PM »

My roomate hooked his PS3 up to his 1080p tv and I have to say Resistance looks great (still nowhere near as good as Gears of War on the same TV) I havent had much play time on the system yet so I cant comment on that. I will probably buy one once a must have game comes out like Final Fantasy 13 or Metal Gear but for now I will just try to work through my back log of 360 and Wii games.

I am actually interested in using the PS3 for Blue Ray Movies and I am using my 360 for HD-DVD movies now.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 03:00:11 PM »

The same thing happens on the PS3. I get a popup whenever a person on my friends list comes online or goes offline. Are you saying that you don't on your PS3?

I do agree though, overall, Live is better right now. Still, 40 player multiplayer Resistance matches are fun!  icon_smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 03:11:29 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 08, 2007, 02:38:45 PM

Side notes:   Still continually impressed with how quiet this machine is.    I actually USE this thing as a part of my home entertainment system for watching movies.   I do NOT use the 360 the same way because it's so loud I've always got the impression the thing would go into meltdown if I used it all the time and wind up not working anymore for my games.    Probably unfounded, but still!    PS3's quiet nature just makes you think it's technically more sound than the 360.

If there is a 360v2 as rumored, I hope they'll take a cue from Sony and use a larger case fan. Nice move on Sony's part, especially with the PS3 positioned as part of an entertainment system and not simply a game machine.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 04:00:37 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 08, 2007, 03:11:29 PM

Quote from: msduncan on January 08, 2007, 02:38:45 PM

Side notes:   Still continually impressed with how quiet this machine is.    I actually USE this thing as a part of my home entertainment system for watching movies.   I do NOT use the 360 the same way because it's so loud I've always got the impression the thing would go into meltdown if I used it all the time and wind up not working anymore for my games.    Probably unfounded, but still!    PS3's quiet nature just makes you think it's technically more sound than the 360.

If there is a 360v2 as rumored, I hope they'll take a cue from Sony and use a larger case fan. Nice move on Sony's part, especially with the PS3 positioned as part of an entertainment system and not simply a game machine.

The rumor is that the new 360 will have a 65nm CPU and run cooler as a result.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 04:48:52 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 08, 2007, 03:00:11 PM

The same thing happens on the PS3. I get a popup whenever a person on my friends list comes online or goes offline. Are you saying that you don't on your PS3?

I do agree though, overall, Live is better right now. Still, 40 player multiplayer Resistance matches are fun!  icon_smile

Well I do only have one person friended as of now.  LOL   I guess I need to go about adding all of you.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 04:53:20 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 08, 2007, 04:48:52 PM

Well I do only have one person friended as of now.  LOL   I guess I need to go about adding all of you.

That would put you at what... 5 people?

icon_lol
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 04:55:45 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 08, 2007, 04:53:20 PM

icon_lol

I have a bunch more than 5 people on my list. It's pretty much the same as my Xbox 360 friends list was in the first month or so after launch.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 05:09:37 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 08, 2007, 04:55:45 PM

icon_lol

I have a bunch more than 5 people on my list. It's pretty much the same as my Xbox 360 friends list was in the first month or so after launch.

You didnt play your Xbox 1 online?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 05:10:06 PM »

there may be one more on that list pf PS3 owners soon.  Long story short: ps2 + corded controller (logitech wireless - batteries) + puppy x gravity = almost borked PS2.  Right now it's booting up games about 1/2 the time, so it's only a matter of time before I get fed up and replace it (especially with Rogue Galaxy coming out soon).  I'd get another PS2, but with me planning on a PS3 eventually it almost doesn't make sense to spend the $150 bucks only to spend $500 later on.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 05:15:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 08, 2007, 05:10:06 PM

I'd get another PS2, but with me planning on a PS3 eventually it almost doesn't make sense to spend the $150 bucks only to spend $500 later on.

It does if you are planning on playing lots of PS2 games on it since image quality for non-progressive scan PS2 games is kind of borked. 
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 05:17:52 PM »

Has anyone personally confirmed that the PS2 scaling problem can be fixed by switching the PS3 out of high definition mode?  It seems like an annoying work around, but if it fixes the problem, a work around nonetheless.

-Autistic Angel
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 06:05:19 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 08, 2007, 05:15:13 PM

I'd get another PS2, but with me planning on a PS3 eventually it almost doesn't make sense to spend the $150 bucks only to spend $500 later on.

It does if you are planning on playing lots of PS2 games on it since image quality for non-progressive scan PS2 games is kind of borked. 

this is true - not so much for people like myself still stuck looking at sdtvs, but for those with hdtvs. check out the amazing 157 (& counting) page thread on the playstation boards re: this issue here...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 06:05:41 PM »

If I didn't have CeeKay on my ignore list, I would post something like:

there may be one more on that list pf PS3 owners soon.  Long story short: ps2 + corded controller (logitech wireless - batteries) + puppy x gravity = almost borked PS2.

Puppy x gravity? What he hell? Do I want to know what he was doing with his poor puppy?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 06:08:33 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 08, 2007, 05:09:37 PM

icon_lol

You didnt play your Xbox 1 online?

Nope, not really. I went online with it a couple times....but not really that much at all. I couldn't stand playing FPS games with the XBox controller. I was pretty much a PC only multiplayer guy.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 06:19:19 PM »

icon_lol

Was going by the fact that the sticky post of PS3 network names in the multiplayer forum has a total of I think 5 actual names in it.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »

My initial impressions:

-Quiet quiet quiet!  I heard people mention how quiet this system is, but you just dont grasp it until you hear for yourself.
-The controller is super light
-The controller charges through the USB port on the system which is very cool.  No extra charging kits needed.
-Interface is basically the same as the PSP.  It is cool, but not as nice as the 360 dashboard IMO.
-PSN seems to run very slowly.
-PSN is free!
-Uses the stupid PSP cellphone-like keyboard system.

More to come later!

EDIT:
One big negative is I cant do anything else while downloading from the PSN.  Maybe this will be fixed in the future like it was for the 360 with the active downloads.

EDIT AGAIN:
PSN references should be playstation store.  Playing Resistance online ran lagless with 30 players in game.  Playstation Store is what is running slowly for me.  Demos seem to take ages to download.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 10:21:56 PM by GatorFavre » Logged

Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 12:43:23 AM »

Yeah, not being able to do anything while downloading is a big mistake.  Hopefully, they will fix this in a future patch. I'm also having problems with the Playstation store loading slow and with slow download speeds. The Wii downloads much faster for me. The 360 downloads the fastest but it is wired to the router.

On the bright side, once I finally managed to download the Motorstorm demo, I had a blast. I'll be purchasing this one on day one unless it gets really hammered in the reviews. I'm going to download the demo to the F1 game. It looks like this may be the only F1 game in the near future. I hope it is a good one.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 12:59:47 AM »

Glad you guys are enjoying it. Soon for me I hope.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 02:21:14 AM »

The F1 Demo is friggin great... it's been my favorite part of the system thus far.

Also, regarding download speeds... things were great about a month ago when all of the PS3s were on Ebay.  Now that people are actually using them, I guess Sony needs to up the bandwidth.

gellar
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 03:04:45 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 09, 2007, 02:21:14 AM

The F1 Demo is friggin great... it's been my favorite part of the system thus far.

Also, regarding download speeds... things were great about a month ago when all of the PS3s were on Ebay.  Now that people are actually using them, I guess Sony needs to up the bandwidth.

gellar

Nice to here the F1 game looks good. There hasn't been agood one for a while. I tried playing rFactor for the PC but loading all the mods and looking all over the place for the best ones was to big of a pain in the ass for a lazy man like me. 
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 06:03:00 AM »

The graphics on that F1 games are pretty awesome!  I made the mistake of turning damage on though, and my first race lasted seriously less than 10 seconds as I lost a wheel on the first turn bumping someone.  Second time through I finished the race and actually enjoyed playing it which is saying a lot as I usually dont like sim racing games at all.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 02:59:25 PM »

Holy crap resistance kicks ass! To be completely honest I'm finding it to be more engaging and exciting than Gears of War. The story kinda starts off quickly and without too much detail but then slowly you're fed more information as the game progresses; after the 5th cutscene as was hooked. There is definitely some Half-Life/War of the Worlds type of stuff, but it is done so well that you can forgive Insomnia for borrowing a few ideas.

I haven't tried the multiplayer thus far but once I've completed the single player campaign I'll check it out.

Anyhow, name is SpawhawkGT if anyone wants to add me.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 04:17:24 PM »

Ok... further impressions:

Blu Ray --  HOLY CRAP.   Why do these things COST so much?  $29.99 for a movie?   Methinks I'll be still buying DVD's for a while, in fact I did just last night.   I looked at the side by side Invinsible DVD and Blu-Ray discs, and I opted to save freakin 15 bucks.

Are there any plans to bring the cost of the Blu Rays down to at least the lower levels of the atmosphere?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 04:45:25 PM »

Netflix, homie.

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 04:54:24 PM »

Holy crap resistance kicks ass! To be completely honest I'm finding it to be more engaging and exciting than Gears of War.

See, I knew people would come around once they played more than the demo kiosk....    icon_wink

Wait till you get to the later levels!   eek eek eek 

Anyhow, name is SpawhawkGT if anyone wants to add me.

Will do!  icon_biggrin

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 04:57:27 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 10, 2007, 04:17:24 PM

Blu Ray --  HOLY CRAP.   Why do these things COST so much?  $29.99 for a movie?   Methinks I'll be still buying DVD's for a while, in fact I did just last night.   I looked at the side by side Invinsible DVD and Blu-Ray discs, and I opted to save freakin 15 bucks.

Are there any plans to bring the cost of the Blu Rays down to at least the lower levels of the atmosphere?

Yeah, that is the bad part about Blu-Ray and HD-DVD....they both cost more than DVD right now. Although, if you buy them used, they are much cheaper. There is one place near me that has most new releases out used a day or two after the street date for both formats. They generally charge $12.99 for used Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Needless to say, I go there quite a bit.  icon_biggrin

Also, as Gellar said, Netflix and Blockbuster are your other options.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 05:17:26 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 10, 2007, 04:57:27 PM

Yeah, that is the bad part about Blu-Ray and HD-DVD....they both cost more than DVD right now. Although, if you buy them used, they are much cheaper. There is one place near me that has most new releases out used a day or two after the street date for both formats. They generally charge $12.99 for used Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Needless to say, I go there quite a bit.  icon_biggrin

My local Blockbuster doesn't have Blu Ray or HD DVD's.   In fact...they suck so bad they only have a tiny Xbox 360 section!    I couldn't believe it when I went in.   

My beef with Netflix/Blockbuster online is that they don't allow you to rent games.    If one of these services rented movies AND games and you could choose which one you wanted based on your mood, I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 06:14:21 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 10, 2007, 04:45:25 PM

Netflix, homie.

gellar

Word.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 07:36:07 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 10, 2007, 05:17:26 PM

Quote from: Hetz on January 10, 2007, 04:57:27 PM

My local Blockbuster doesn't have Blu Ray or HD DVD's.   In fact...they suck so bad they only have a tiny Xbox 360 section!    I couldn't believe it when I went in.   

My beef with Netflix/Blockbuster online is that they don't allow you to rent games.    If one of these services rented movies AND games and you could choose which one you wanted based on your mood, I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

I'm doint a trial of Blockbuster online right now. I signed up for the most part to rent Blu Ray movies. My local Blockbuster doesnt have them in store. It has some advantages. You can take the movies they ship to you back to the store and get another movie. They then mail them back for you and you next movie in your list ships. So you are never without a movie. Also you get a coupon for a free movie or game rental every month for the store. I used mine for a PS3 game. The downside is that most of the blu ray movies have a wait to get them. Im going to try it for a month and then make a decision. If netflix has less of a wait for blu ray, I may try them out.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 09:26:14 PM »

msd, I've never tried it but maybe this is what you're looking for?

www.gameznflix.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: