http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 12:08:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 Impressions (ongoing)  (Read 4701 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2007, 04:11:28 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on January 01, 2007, 03:56:03 AM

Quote from: GatorFavre on January 01, 2007, 03:12:15 AM

EDIT:  Quick question... is it possible to go wireless later down the road if you get the 20gig version?

Add a wireless gaming adapter.  They plug into the ethernet port and turn it into wireless.  They work with all your consoles and you can have one for under $50 for an 802.11b Linksys one.

Perfect!  Thanks!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2007, 04:26:00 AM »

Sony's definitely been getting the consoles to the stores.  I've had a chance to pick up one for the last couple of days, yet I've managed to hold onto my resolution of needing 5 exclusive games that I want released and not buy one.  If I hadn't grabbed a PS2 earlier this year I'd have a PS3 right now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2007, 04:54:34 AM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on January 01, 2007, 03:47:21 AM

On a side note, how easy is it to download the PS1 games to the PSP. That is really something Im interested in doing. It will force me to blow the dust off the PSP. I'd check on the playstation store myself but I cant get my son to stop playing Viva Pinata long enought to log on.

the north american store is very slim pickin's right now (unlike the japanese one). haven't done it myself (already have a psp version of medievil, thanks), but it looks to be pretty straightforward...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2007, 05:48:09 AM »

Wow, looks like quite a few people picked up one today!  icon_biggrin

Enjoy you guys and Happy New Year everyone!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2007, 05:58:35 AM »

I am waiting for this.

You'd figure Sony would concentrate on getting their existing two models of PlayStation 3 into peoples homes before developing a third, but that isn't the case. Sony is looking to introduce a multimedia-oriented PlayStation 3 soon, designed to be a multimedia center rather than as a gaming console:

The “media-centric” PlayStation 3 will feature capabilities of consumer electronics devices and will be more focused on digital media content playback, rather than on gaming. Based on claims reportedly made by executives of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., PC Watch web-site reports that the PlayStation 3 “media-centric”-edition will feature anti-vibration mechanism on the Blu-ray disc drive, 512MB XDR memory, more advanced power supply unit and two HDMI connectors to divide audio and video data.
So what exactly makes this more attractive to someone not looking for a console but a media center instead? I'm not exactly sure, especially since the cost of this unit will be even greater than the existing consoles, and the article estimates it could be sold at $1600 or even higher. Personally, I think Sony should concentrate on other issues before expanding the scope of the already-troubled PS3.

Thanks to Qt3.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2007, 06:26:24 AM »

Quote from: Lee on January 01, 2007, 05:58:35 AM

I am waiting for this.

You'd figure Sony would concentrate on getting their existing two models of PlayStation 3 into peoples homes before developing a third, but that isn't the case. Sony is looking to introduce a multimedia-oriented PlayStation 3 soon, designed to be a multimedia center rather than as a gaming console:

The “media-centric” PlayStation 3 will feature capabilities of consumer electronics devices and will be more focused on digital media content playback, rather than on gaming. Based on claims reportedly made by executives of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., PC Watch web-site reports that the PlayStation 3 “media-centric”-edition will feature anti-vibration mechanism on the Blu-ray disc drive, 512MB XDR memory, more advanced power supply unit and two HDMI connectors to divide audio and video data.
So what exactly makes this more attractive to someone not looking for a console but a media center instead? I'm not exactly sure, especially since the cost of this unit will be even greater than the existing consoles, and the article estimates it could be sold at $1600 or even higher. Personally, I think Sony should concentrate on other issues before expanding the scope of the already-troubled PS3.

Thanks to Qt3.

Considering it will cost $2500, I think you will be the only one waiting for it. It's really no different than what Microsoft wants the Xbox 360 to become though. They really want the 360 to become a "media center". The current PS3 though functions just fine as one now though....so I don't really see the need for this version of the PS3.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2007, 08:06:09 AM »

I was joking just to be clear, that's nuts. That thing will do just as good as the PSX did, if it's true.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2007, 09:00:54 AM »

The problem (or obstacle) that I have is that my wife really really wants a Wii instead.  I like the graphic/capabilities of the 360 and PS3, but I can't compete with my wife wanting to play boxing on the Wii. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2007, 02:53:19 PM »

LOL,a lot of you guys are really putting me off buying one of these machines when it finally comes my way...all this messing about with the settings 480,720 1080 etc....is just crazy,whatever happened to just putting the disc in and you're away?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2007, 06:17:30 PM »

I've had mine for a week and finally had enough time to hook it all up and play with it last night.

Hardware is very slick.  Nice, quiet, sleek black box, you'd hardly know it’s on.  Gets pretty warm to the touch, so I hope overheating won't be an issue, but so far so good.

Setup wasn't too hard, but typing with a game pad is always a pain.  At least the PS3 supports a USB keyboard if you've got one (don't think the 360 did).

System update process seemed really slow.  I have no idea how big the download was, but compared to the 360's near instantaneous download, reboot and play model, the PS3 takes its sweet time.  As for actual game and demo downloads, transfer rates seem pretty reasonable over my wifi connection.  I just hope Sony adds background downloading like MS did for the 360.  Nobody wants to watch a progress bar for 15 minutes.

The only real downer is the lack of software for the system.  Resistance is fun, but there is nothing else that interests me.  I'm going to give some of the demos a whirl later today.

For anyone on the fence, I'd say wait.  It’s a good system, but it’s a few patches short of being where the 360 is in terms of interface and ease of use.  Also there are just really not enough games out for yet to make it entertainment central.

I love my 360 and if I had to choose between the two systems I wouldn’t even blink before picking the 360.  However give it another year and I think each system will be getting equal playtime.

16-bit and loving it!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2007, 06:53:27 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on January 01, 2007, 06:17:30 PM

Setup wasn't too hard, but typing with a game pad is always a pain.  At least the PS3 supports a USB keyboard if you've got one (don't think the 360 did).
Thankfully the 360 also supported the USB keyboard, otherwise entering gamertags would have been a pain in the arse (before they gave you an option to do so on xbox.com that is).

Because I can,
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2007, 07:22:28 PM »

I managed to get mine up and going last night as well. Overall, it wasn't too bad to set up. However,I had some issues with my wireless router. I guess Sony doesn't like mine. I had to tweak a setting and it connected without dropping every 30 seconds.  I didn't think the update download was too slow but the playstation store was crawling for me.  The pics of the games took forever to load. I started to download Grand Turismo HD but at the rate it was going it would have took all night. Sony has a ways to go to match Microsoft in terms of their online content. The system does have lots of potential and I think, as someone said earlier, that in a year it will be getting lots more of my play time.  But even given it's issues, I don't have any buyers remorse as of yet.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2007, 08:51:01 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on January 01, 2007, 01:09:54 AM

At 1800 this evening, the local Best Buy still had 4 of the 60GB PS3s on the shelf.

i was just in my local BB and they had a stack of PS3s sitting in the middle of the floor...13 of the 60GB version just waiting to go home with someone.  seeing that many left makes me wonder how many they started with yesterday morning...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2007, 09:13:06 PM »

Quote from: disarm on January 01, 2007, 08:51:01 PM

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on January 01, 2007, 01:09:54 AM

At 1800 this evening, the local Best Buy still had 4 of the 60GB PS3s on the shelf.

i was just in my local BB and they had a stack of PS3s sitting in the middle of the floor...13 of the 60GB version just waiting to go home with someone.  seeing that many left makes me wonder how many they started with yesterday morning...

Anywhere from 25 on up. The average seemed to be about 40 per store.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2007, 09:38:27 PM »

okay, i've settled on a ps3 game to look forward to in the (hopefully) not so distant future: lair...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2007, 09:51:25 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 01, 2007, 09:38:27 PM

okay, i've settled on a ps3 game to look forward to in the (hopefully) not so distant future: lair...

I was looking forward to that, but now that I've seen what the gameplay basically is (Drakengard-like, or so it seems) it's off my must buy list.  It's just not my bag baby.

Because I can,
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2007, 11:07:31 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on January 01, 2007, 06:17:30 PM

The 360 has supported a USB keyboard for entering text since day 1 - they've expanded support to include navigating the dashboard since then.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2007, 03:50:40 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 31, 2006, 11:06:49 PM

and yes, there were lines today as well....except this time, they were not for EBay scalpers...but gamers.   nod

Cite?

icon_rolleyes
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2007, 04:04:23 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 02, 2007, 03:50:40 AM

and yes, there were lines today as well....except this time, they were not for EBay scalpers...but gamers.   nod

Cite?

icon_rolleyes

Uhh...who in their right mind would be scalping the system now? Ebay prices have tanked and plenty are available in stores now.

Come on man. You can do better.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2007, 07:01:15 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 02, 2007, 04:04:23 AM

Quote from: Calvin on January 02, 2007, 03:50:40 AM

Cite?

icon_rolleyes

Uhh...who in their right mind would be scalping the system now? Ebay prices have tanked and plenty are available in stores now.

Come on man. You can do better.
Huh. You just aren't worth it any more. Sad. GG man.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 07:10:34 AM by Calvin » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2007, 10:52:57 AM »

Hetz does have a point, it's likely anyone buying a PS3 now plans to play it, hence how much easier it is to find now in certain areas.  Usually scalpers will buy things with a much higher resale value and lower initial cost.

However Hetz, you're also not helping by taking on this arrogant, insulting tone in your replys.

And for all of you, you don't need to respond to Hetz in the same arrogant, insulting way.

Seriously, Calvin, I expected a lot more of you.  For example, when you posted "Cite?"  you should have just ended it there.  No need for a rolly eyes as that is obviously the same kind of passive aggressive personal attack that makes other game forums really not a fun place to be in.  So instead of being the one to end this stupidity you're just continuing it.

It's time to end this crap now guys before you drag down GT.  It's very possible to have mature discussions about rival consoles, but right now these forums just haven't been showing it.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2007, 01:52:42 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 02, 2007, 10:52:57 AM

Hetz does have a point, it's likely anyone buying a PS3 now plans to play it, hence how much easier it is to find now in certain areas.  Usually scalpers will buy things with a much higher resale value and lower initial cost.

However Hetz, you're also not helping by taking on this arrogant, insulting tone in your replys.

Sorry, I was just responding in the same tone that I was addressed in.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2007, 02:03:18 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 02, 2007, 01:52:42 PM

And that makes it right how? You only further the behavior. Please follow the golden rule, treat others how you would want them to treat you.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2007, 02:21:48 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 02, 2007, 02:03:18 PM

And that makes it right how? You only further the behavior. Please follow the golden rule, treat others how you would want them to treat you.

Yes, I know. I am sorry about how I addressed him. I should have turned the other cheek. It's something I am trying to work on.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2007, 02:23:02 PM »

Lets just all get along...we all are gamers and share a hobby.  Infighting is something we just don't need.  We should be supporting each other instead  icon_cool

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2007, 02:24:03 PM »

Speaking as a guy that has all three next gen consoles, the anti-Sonyism in this forum has been such that it's oozing from the walls here the past month.    Because of that Hetz has been ridiculed, trolled, and hounded relentlessly any time he posts an appreciative post about the PS3.       So I'm cutting the guy a break.   I'd have already gone msduncan on someone's azz here if I were in his position.   slywink
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:26:58 PM by msduncan » Logged
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2007, 02:30:05 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 02, 2007, 02:24:03 PM

Speaking as a guy that has all three next gen consoles.    The anti-Sonyism in this forum has been such that it's oozing from the walls here the past month.    Because of that Hetz has been ridiculed, trolled, and hounded relentlessly any time he posts an appreciative post about the PS3.       So I'm cutting the guy a break.   I'd have already gone msduncan on someone's azz here if I were in his position.   slywink

"Go msduncan on someones azz"....that's awesome!  icon_biggrin

I have been *this close* to doing that a couple of times now...

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2007, 02:37:29 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 02, 2007, 02:30:05 PM

Speaking as a guy that has all three next gen consoles.    The anti-Sonyism in this forum has been such that it's oozing from the walls here the past month.    Because of that Hetz has been ridiculed, trolled, and hounded relentlessly any time he posts an appreciative post about the PS3.       So I'm cutting the guy a break.   I'd have already gone msduncan on someone's azz here if I were in his position.   slywink

"Go msduncan on someones azz"....that's awesome!  icon_biggrin

I have been *this close* to doing that a couple of times now...

Hold your ears and say "woozaah" Tongue

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2007, 04:36:15 PM »

Some more shots of Resistance for you all...  icon_smile

thumbsup

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2007, 09:26:53 PM »

Let me state for the record that my hate for Hetz is not console-centric. It's based solely on me wanting to seize his television and home entertainment system and claim them as my own. icon_twisted

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2007, 12:34:11 AM »

Speaking as a guy that has all three next gen consoles, the anti-Sonyism in this forum has been such that it's oozing from the walls here the past month.

Because of that Hetz has been ridiculed, trolled, and hounded relentlessly any time he posts an appreciative post about the PS3.

That's not true. It's the way he goes about posting about the PS3 that gets him in trouble. His take on consoles is the same as his take on politics; it's all Us vs. Them with as many Gotchas as he can throw in. He brings it on himself. Lots of other people on the forum have a PS3 and aren't getting any flak from what I've seen. They don't take anti-Sonyism personally.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2007, 12:31:34 AM »

My friend at work is offering to sell me a 20gig system for $460.  This is an unopened brand new system and I am very tempted to bite on it.  Can someone tell me the exact difference between the 20 and 60 gig systems?  I know the HD size obviously and the wireless... what else is there?

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2007, 12:41:30 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on January 05, 2007, 12:31:34 AM

My friend at work is offering to sell me a 20gig system for $460.  This is an unopened brand new system and I am very tempted to bite on it.  Can someone tell me the exact difference between the 20 and 60 gig systems?  I know the HD size obviously and the wireless... what else is there?

The only other thing is that the 20G doesn't have built in CompactFlash®, SD Memory Card and Memory Stick Duo™ card slots.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2007, 12:45:37 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 05, 2007, 12:41:30 AM

The only other thing is that the 20G doesn't have built in CompactFlash®, SD Memory Card and Memory Stick Duo™ card slots.

Thanks!
One other thing, what kind of cable comes with the ps3... I know it isnt HDMI is it component or composite?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2007, 01:52:48 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on January 05, 2007, 12:45:37 AM

Thanks!
One other thing, what kind of cable comes with the ps3... I know it isnt HDMI is it component or composite?

El cheapo composite only.  You'll need to buy a component cable, which are impossible to find if you're looking for PS3 specific ones.  Look for PS2 labeled components, which are the same thing.

gellar
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2007, 02:31:41 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 05, 2007, 01:52:48 AM

Thanks!

El cheapo composite only.  You'll need to buy a component cable, which are impossible to find if you're looking for PS3 specific ones.  Look for PS2 labeled components, which are the same thing.

gellar

I'll probably go for the HDMI instead of component.  Any opinions on which HDMI cables are good?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2007, 02:34:24 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on January 05, 2007, 02:31:41 AM

Thanks!

gellar

I'll probably go for the HDMI instead of component.  Any opinions on which HDMI cables are good?

They're all basically the same.  That being said, the ones from monoprice.com are the cheapest, so just buy it from there.

gellar
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2007, 02:57:51 AM »

Resistance doesn't have bot support by any chance, does it? I emailed the team suggesting it (towards the end of development unfortunately) and all I got was a "It was being considered" but from most of the reviews I've read none of them mention anything about bots.

I'm considering picking up a PS3 next pay check if they are readily available as most here are saying (haven't really been out much the past few weeks) it's either that or another PSP (which would be around my 5th)..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2007, 03:45:37 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 05, 2007, 02:34:24 AM

Thanks!

gellar

They're all basically the same.  That being said, the ones from monoprice.com are the cheapest, so just buy it from there.

gellar

This is a really noobish question.. but are sound and video both connected through the hdmi cable? 

Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2007, 03:46:19 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on January 05, 2007, 03:45:37 AM

Quote from: gellar on January 05, 2007, 02:34:24 AM

Thanks!

gellar

gellar

This is a really noobish question.. but are sound and video both connected through the hdmi cable? 
EdIT..know what, dont even listen to me  crybaby
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 03:51:17 AM by Louis Cypher » Logged

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: