http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 02:08:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 HDMI - Help  (Read 1206 times)
Darren8r
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2009, 04:31:40 AM »

I want to get HDMI cables for my PS3, which would be the best for the best price?
What do they even do? Send more info, faster?

Does it make a big difference for Blu-Ray movies and games?

I saw some kind of combo with a Blu-Ray remote, with HDMI cables for $30 at Wal-Mart.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 04:36:17 AM »

Quote from: Darren8r on October 07, 2009, 04:31:40 AM

I want to get HDMI cables for my PS3, which would be the best for the best price?
What do they even do? Send more info, faster?

Some people will try to tell you that higher quality cables produce a higher quality signal. These people are clinically insane and should not be listened to. Buy the cheapest cable you can find, it makes absolutely no difference to the signal.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 04:36:38 AM »

Monoprice.com has what you need:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024007&p_id=3871&seq=1&format=2

(they have other lengths available)

It's the highest quality connection currently available.  If you have the hardware to support it, there's not really a good reason *not* to use HDMI
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 04:51:21 AM »

Thanks for those quick replies. I have the hardware to support it, I will most definitely be looking into getting some ASAP.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 05:31:12 AM »

Monoprice is *the* place for cables and as noted they have many choices of both length and color. Pick any of the HDMI 1.3 Category 2 ones and you'll be golden. Also note that HDMI carries both the video and audio signals so you don't need anything else if your hardware supports it.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 05:40:47 AM »

There's an option in the PS3 settings regarding full color for HDMI or something along those lines.  Make sure this is turned on after you hook it up.  The first time I hooked up mine with HDMI, the colors looked washed out and I was disappointed with the picture.  It turned out that this option was turned off by default, and the picture looked much better after I turned it on.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 01:02:04 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 07, 2009, 04:36:17 AM

Buy the cheapest cable you can find, it makes absolutely no difference to the signal.

This. I don't order from monoprice, though, because I never have a clue what I'm looking at. I usually buy them from Amazon for 10-15 bucks.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 04:07:58 AM »

Got my HDMI 1.3a Cable 28AWG - 15ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) - BLACK
for $11.62.

Thanks guys!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 12:38:33 PM »

Quote from: Darren8r on October 08, 2009, 04:07:58 AM

Got my HDMI 1.3a Cable 28AWG - 15ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) - BLACK
for $11.62.

Thanks guys!

I just ordered the same one!

And I had just ordered a good $10 cable from Amazon.  Fortunately, it hadn't shipped yet, so I was able to cancel it.  It was actually cheaper, when you factor in the shipping, but it wasn't as long, and I'm using it to hook my laptop up to the TV.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 01:05:18 PM »

Yes....MONOPRICE.....the "Newegg" of cables.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 01:42:47 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on October 08, 2009, 01:05:18 PM

Yes....MONOPRICE.....the "Newegg" of cables.

On the flip side, Newegg tends to have pretty decent cable prices as well - but nothing beats out Monoprice.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 04:35:11 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 07, 2009, 05:40:47 AM

There's an option in the PS3 settings regarding full color for HDMI or something along those lines.  Make sure this is turned on after you hook it up.  The first time I hooked up mine with HDMI, the colors looked washed out and I was disappointed with the picture.  It turned out that this option was turned off by default, and the picture looked much better after I turned it on.

Hmm.  Maybe it is different with the new slim models but I could find no such setting.  Anyone shed some light on this.  Though I think mine looks just fine.

morlac00 on PSN
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 10:00:59 PM »

Quote from: morlac on October 09, 2009, 04:35:11 PM

Quote from: EddieA on October 07, 2009, 05:40:47 AM

Hmm.  Maybe it is different with the new slim models but I could find no such setting.  Anyone shed some light on this.  Though I think mine looks just fine.

There is a setting under

Settings --> Display Settings --> RGB Full Range(HDMI)

Two choices:

Limited and Full

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/2_17/settings/rgbfullrange.html

One below it called Super White (HDMI)

Two choices:

On and Off

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/2_17/settings/superwhite.html

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 01:08:17 AM »

Ok, this has been driving me nuts since I bought my TV. If I select full, the colors seem deeper, but it's almost TOO dark in shadowy areas. An example is Dead Space, if I set RGB to limited, the colors seem faded, but if I set to RGB, the colors are strong and vibrent, but it's very hard to see in the game (becase it's so dark) I have fiddled with the TV settings, and have been able to "lighten" up the screen while using RGB. I'm torn over which setting I like better, anyone else having these troubles?

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 02:24:54 AM »

Could the contrast be set too high or the brightness too low?
Is there a gamma setting in the game itself?

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 04:54:15 AM »

A lot of games have a brightness setting.  I keep my TV's settings quite a bit darker than the out of the box settings, so I have to turn up the brightness in most games.  This usually results in better shadow definition with a minimum of color loss.

If games are smart, they give you a brightness calibration screen during the initial setup sequence.  The less smart ones bury it in an options menu.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 05:02:56 AM »

HDMI cable prices are starting to drop in retail stores, though Monoprice and other online retailers still have the best deals.  Walmart has 3' basic Phillips ones down to under $20 now.  Compared to where they were two years ago, that's a significant drop.

But the markup on cables and stuff is ridiculous.  It's not uncommon for stores to be selling them for 10 or 15 times what they paid for them.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 06:24:29 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on November 27, 2009, 05:02:56 AM

But the markup on cables and stuff is ridiculous.  It's not uncommon for stores to be selling them for 10 or 15 times what they paid for them.

You buy a new TV, or a PS3, and their markup is nearly zero. But if they can get a cable sale off of you, suddenly you're a customer that's worth their time as you're now turning them a profit.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 07:30:15 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 27, 2009, 06:24:29 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on November 27, 2009, 05:02:56 AM

You buy a new TV, or a PS3, and their markup is nearly zero. But if they can get a cable sale off of you, suddenly you're a customer that's worth their time as you're now turning them a profit.

For sure on the PS3, on the TV it depends.  I work in retail, so I have access to the margins on most stuff at a certain major chain.  While some TV's are sold at a loss or break-even, there are plenty with a reasonable margin (in $ if not percentage-wise), though it's nowhere near what it is on cables and extended warranty plans.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 06:09:51 PM »

Derail for my own problem.

I got an HDMI cable for my PS3 and everything is fine for picture but the sound has to be cranked way, way up to be heard and there is a ton of white noise in it.  The sound is going from the PS3 via HDMI to the TV and then out the TV to the stereo receiver.  The 360 uses component to go to the TV but instead of the sound going through the TV to the receiver it goes straight from the 360 to the receiver.   The Tivo does the same thing.   The sound is normal on both of those.  If they are at say 25% volume the PS3 is at 75% to get the same volume - with the white noise too.  Is this because the sound is going through the TV and somehow being degraded? 

Is there a way for the PS3 to use HDMI for video but something else for audio?  And how could I do that?

Thanks,

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 06:18:37 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 27, 2009, 06:09:51 PM

Is there a way for the PS3 to use HDMI for video but something else for audio?  And how could I do that?

Thanks,

Not sure why you are having the issue (could it be an output level problem on the TV?), but the answer to this question is yes, absolutely. It's easy to do. Just hook up an optical cable from your stereo to the back of the PS3 (preferable to RCA) and then go into the PS3 audio settings and select the new connection.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 07:00:41 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 27, 2009, 06:09:51 PM

Derail for my own problem.

I got an HDMI cable for my PS3 and everything is fine for picture but the sound has to be cranked way, way up to be heard and there is a ton of white noise in it.  The sound is going from the PS3 via HDMI to the TV and then out the TV to the stereo receiver.  The 360 uses component to go to the TV but instead of the sound going through the TV to the receiver it goes straight from the 360 to the receiver.   The Tivo does the same thing.   The sound is normal on both of those.  If they are at say 25% volume the PS3 is at 75% to get the same volume - with the white noise too.  Is this because the sound is going through the TV and somehow being degraded? 

Thanks,

Do you have Dynamic Range turned on in the PS3?  turn that off, and see what happens.  When I turn it on, it's usually much quieter.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 07:11:34 PM »

I will try that when I get home. 

The annoying thing is that before this I used component which went through a switch box shared with the 360 and the sound was fine.  I thought I would be saving myself a hassle of having to get up and manually flip the switch but instead it is more of a headache.  Technology!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: