http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 03:37:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 drive dying  (Read 917 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:48:09 AM »

sooo... What others have reported, and I vehemently denied as a recurring issue with the ps3, it has happened to me as well. The drive in my PS3 is slowly dying it seems.

All of a sudden, it just wont accept the game discs. Sometimes other discs works fine, and after taking the gamedisc in and out for maybe 10-20 times, it reads the game just fine, and there are no issues playing (Mirrors edge).

Things I've tried to do

Clean the disc - nada
tried other discs - some works sometimes, others dont, audio seems to work fine
rebooting with the gamedisc in - Nothing
Reebooting without the gamedisc in - nothing..

sigh - so, it seems after searching a bit, that its not that rare an issue, but appearently, the danish stores refuse to do anything about it - so damn nice.

Thats 1200 dollars out the window...

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:14:34 AM »

SONY themselves should provide a new PS3,or at least some answers,give them a ring..a lot of people have had breakdowns etc with their PS3 of late ,and SONY have replaced their machine,however some people who have had a 60gig machine have had their replaced with a 40gig..which i would be pissed off about

but the again all that is for the now Infamous Red Flashing Light

http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/search?board_id=62&submitted=true&q=red+flashing+light

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:15:06 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 10, 2009, 08:48:09 AM

sigh - so, it seems after searching a bit, that its not that rare an issue, but appearently, the danish stores refuse to do anything about it - so damn nice.

Thats 1200 dollars out the window...

What kind of draconic consumer laws do you have in Denmark? Here in Norway, the store you bought the PS3 in would be required by law to get the problem fixed for you swiftly if it occured within the first 5 (yes, five!) years after your purchase. If repairs take longer than a week, they'd also be required to supply you with a temporary replacement PS3 while you're waiting. If they fail to fix it, they'd have to give you a brand new one, or your money back.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:42:05 AM »

I want to know what countries charge $1200 for PS3's!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:17:36 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 10, 2009, 09:42:05 AM

I want to know what countries charge $1200 for PS3's!

well, 1000 dollars thne perhaps :-) It's the 60 GB launch edition, with BC, bought more or less at release... thus it was very epxensive. Stuff like that is considered luxury merchandise and are subject to heavy taxing here in denmark.

anyways, called Sony here in denmark, and they are aware of the issue, and the deal is get it to the store, and they'll send it to them( Or rather, Nordic film, who is their partner appearently on PS3 stuff) and I'll get a new one.. According to them a 60gb but according to the store, probably a 80 gb without BC...sigh...

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 03:25:27 PM »

Sony was supposed to keep quite a few of the older (better) models in stock at their warehouse for repair reasons incase something like this happened.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:50:03 PM »

My PS3 has been broken since last Nov.

Sony wants $150.00 for repair  mad

When my XBOX360 had problem last month (2nd time), it was free, fast, and I got 1 month of free XBOX Live Gold card.

I can understand $50.00 or maybe... just maybe $100 but friggin $150?
I will eventually pay to get my PS3 fixed when I have some $$$ left in my budget. However they lost me and my family as loyal customer of other SONY products.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 06:41:29 PM »

So, just got my PS3 back from service now, wohoo!! 

I was a bit afraid that all the games I bought would be rather hard to get back, since I got an entirely new unit, but wow - just enter playstation store, and select "downloads" and you can see every damn thing you ever downloaded, once you've logged into your own account, now THAT is nice.

Assassins Creed, here I come!!

A new one
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:04:49 PM »

So was it another 60gb? I got from someone here and although I haven't noticed any problems yet I do fear it.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on April 17, 2009, 08:04:49 PM

So was it another 60gb? I got from someone here and although I haven't noticed any problems yet I do fear it.

aye, got a new 60GB unit, which was pretty nice -probably why it took 4 weeks as well...

btw, I wouldnt be too worried, I Have a few friends who bought their ps3 at the same time as mine, and they have no issues.

I was thinking, that it might be because the drive is open, more or less, while normal cd players have closed drivers, keeping stuff out more easily. Also, I smoke in my apartment, and nicotine gets in everywhere I'm afraid, even though I always leave the door open many times a day

A new one
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 09:34:31 PM »

Good to hear. My 60gb (March 07) was owned by a smoker previously I believe but I don't so hopefully it will extend it further. 

On a side note, has anyone here tried that BluRay cleaning disc? Looks like just a disc with holes in it to create a 'cleaning vacuum'. Costs $25 but I have enough things around me to get some use out of it if it's worth it.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 10:16:56 PM »

Just get those air cans and blast the inside of the tray, then vacuum it to suck out extra particles displaced by the blast.  Less costlier than the cleaner disc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: