http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:50:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 dead?  (Read 318 times)
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2011, 07:35:04 PM »

Ok...so....

I was just, literally, JUST looking through movies on netflix. I turned off the PS3 like normal....

I go back about 45 minutes later, turn it on, and the power light goes green, then briefly yellow, then flashing red.

Anyone else ever have this issue?

From what I can read online about it, I am simply out of luck....

Chris

PSN: MythicalMino
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »

Old fat PS3?  Yep, it's dead.  Mine went about a year ago, same symptoms.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »

I went through this, too, but I have a place locally that was able to fix it.  

Unfortunately, I had to take it in numerous times for the same issue.  They kept telling me that I had been leaving it on for 10 hours, but that's not possible as I was incredibly conscious of making sure it was off when I wasn't using it.  They finally realized it needed a new fan, and it's been working fine since, although the fan kicks on very loudly after a short time of play.  But when I touch the unit, it's nowhere near as hot as it was.

Unfortunately, I still use it for PS2 games a lot.  I'd hate to lose the BC.

If Sony puts out this BC unit that attaches to the PS3 and still does the visual upgrade, I'll be set and get that with a new one.

I just hope I make it that long.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 01:19:00 AM »

Yeah there are quite a few places (including some online you can ship to - check ebay) that will repair it.. if it's not a BC unit, you might want to consider just upgrading to a newer slim model.

I also have the original 60GB (upgraded to 500gb) launch model (never been repaired) still going strong but reading stuff like this I know mine could go at any time too. I'm almost tempted to buy another 60GB'er and transfer everything over just in case something happens to this one.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 03:38:07 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 10, 2011, 01:19:00 AM

Yeah there are quite a few places (including some online you can ship to - check ebay) that will repair it.. if it's not a BC unit, you might want to consider just upgrading to a newer slim model.

I also have the original 60GB (upgraded to 500gb) launch model (never been repaired) still going strong but reading stuff like this I know mine could go at any time too. I'm almost tempted to buy another 60GB'er and transfer everything over just in case something happens to this one.

Keep in mind that if/when it DOES die, if you haven't backed up to an external HDD, you CANNOT just swap your drive into a new PS3 as the content is encrypted with a unique hardware key. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: