http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:25:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 and used games  (Read 939 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2006, 10:42:41 AM »

I remember a few months ago reading horror stories about how Sony was going to make it so that only the original purchaser of a game would be able to play it on their own PS3.  So now that the PS3 is out, for those that bought it, is there any indication that you won't be able to resell your game once you tire of it?  Or were those reports all fearmongering?
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:19:59 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 28, 2006, 10:42:41 AM

I remember a few months ago reading horror stories about how Sony was going to make it so that only the original purchaser of a game would be able to play it on their own PS3.  So now that the PS3 is out, for those that bought it, is there any indication that you won't be able to resell your game once you tire of it?  Or were those reports all fearmongering?

That was simply a rumor.  Gamestop has already gotten a few used PS3 games in.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 12:25:31 PM »

This is unlikely for many reasons. For starters, it would start a war with all rental companies (Gamefly, Blockbuster, etc). Second, all stores that make a huge profit off used games would suffer, like EB and Gamestop, which would not be good business for Sony. Third, well, I just have to believe Sony has learned from their past mistakes (rootkits).

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 02:06:24 PM »

Also contrary to some pictures that were floating around the internet in the months before the launch, the PS3 will not grill both sides of your food at once and Knock-Out-the-Fat™.

Sony bastards™.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 03:47:12 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on November 28, 2006, 12:19:59 PM

Not a rumor good sir...just not implemented. (yet)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 04:20:13 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 28, 2006, 03:47:12 PM

So Sony actually entertained the notion of making sure their games couldn't be rented through huge companies like Blockbuster (Gamefly, etc), or sold as used via Eb and Gamestop? I guess that also makes returns (from stores that allow them) out of the question. Also, you can't bring your game to a friend's house to play co-op? Anything else I missed (of course I did, come join in the fun!)?

Wow. Rootkits caused enough issues. This will destroy them in the long run. 

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 04:28:29 PM »

Quote from: lokiju on November 28, 2006, 04:20:13 PM

So Sony actually entertained the notion of making sure their games couldn't be rented through huge companies like Blockbuster (Gamefly, etc), or sold as used via Eb and Gamestop? I guess that also makes returns (from stores that allow them) out of the question. Also, you can't bring your game to a friend's house to play co-op? Anything else I missed (of course I did, come join in the fun!)?

It was just a patent for the technology that the rumor grew from, there's other things they could do with the concept besides locking down the normal library of games. 

• DIVX style blu-ray rentals that you can "rent" from an ordinary store for $4 that can only be used on your system and expire after a week
  • Games you buy in a store but are small enough to fit on the hard drive.  This tech could make it so you could buy the game, install it, and then play it without putting the disc back in the drive, without allowing you to pass it on to all your friends
  • In-store expansion packs.  Similar to the above, letting you install an expansion pack and then store the disc away, without allowing you to give everyone you know the expansion pack for free.
Then again, this is Sony, so perhaps it's not irrational to assume the worst.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 06:00:22 PM »

Sony does have a patent that basically gives them the rights to do this. The question though is if they'll put it into effect.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 08:19:10 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 28, 2006, 04:28:29 PM

Quote from: lokiju on November 28, 2006, 04:20:13 PM

The rental that expires is an unlikely possibility until the price of the discs themselves comes down in a year or two.

It was just a patent for the technology that the rumor grew from, there's other things they could do with the concept besides locking down the normal library of games. 

• DIVX style blu-ray rentals that you can "rent" from an ordinary store for $4 that can only be used on your system and expire after a week
  • Games you buy in a store but are small enough to fit on the hard drive.  This tech could make it so you could buy the game, install it, and then play it without putting the disc back in the drive, without allowing you to pass it on to all your friends
  • In-store expansion packs.  Similar to the above, letting you install an expansion pack and then store the disc away, without allowing you to give everyone you know the expansion pack for free.
Then again, this is Sony, so perhaps it's not irrational to assume the worst.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 03:43:23 AM »

Quote from: lokiju on November 28, 2006, 12:25:31 PM

I just have to believe Sony has learned from their past mistakes (rootkits).

Haha, good one.  icon_wink
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 03:51:00 AM »

Calvin, you really need to learn where to type your responses.  icon_wink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 01:41:12 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 29, 2006, 03:51:00 AM

Nah, it's like playing "Where's Waldo"!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 07:39:40 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 29, 2006, 01:41:12 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 29, 2006, 03:51:00 AM

Nah, it's like playing "Where's Waldo"!

Ok ok every one shut up. I have serious problems with quotes smile Here you go:

"The rental that expires is an unlikely possibility until the price of the discs themselves comes down in a year or two."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: