http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:27:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 - A Sinking Ship?  (Read 18840 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 26, 2008, 01:05:22 AM »

The whole point is moot anyway. I'd wager half the people buying 360s and PS3s (or maybe more) don't have a hi def TV.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 26, 2008, 02:45:52 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on December 26, 2008, 01:05:22 AM

The whole point is moot anyway. I'd wager half the people buying 360s and PS3s (or maybe more) don't have a hi def TV.

I'd love to see some numbers on that- Considering the success of the Wii, I can't help but wonder if both MS and Sony miscalculated and pushed the HD thing too hard.  To the point where there may be consumer perception that if you don't have an HDTV, don't bother buying a 360 or PS3. 
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 26, 2008, 07:58:09 AM »

Well as a wii owner only I can say that the wii went for the family market. The ps3 and the xbox went for the gamer market. It doesn't take Einstein to know which is larger. I love it when the childen play on the wii they're generally standing up and communicating a lot, much akin to the interaction if they were playing a board game. Nintendo hit the bullseye.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
yossar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2008, 09:29:40 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 26, 2008, 02:45:52 AM

To the point where there may be consumer perception that if you don't have an HDTV, don't bother buying a 360 or PS3. 

I would agree with that perception, though.  If you can only afford one or the other, get an HDTV now and a PS3/XBOX some time down the road.  Especially since half the point of getting a PS3 is the Blu Ray player.  There's no way I'd get either system without an HDTV.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 26, 2008, 11:59:49 AM »

Quote from: yossar on December 26, 2008, 09:29:40 AM

[There's no way I'd get either system without an HDTV.

Yet many people in the general public do precisely that. I see it daily.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2008, 05:10:57 AM »

I'm a little confused on the upscale setting for regular DVDs on the PS3. The default is "normal", which appears to be upscaling. But there's a "double scale" setting as well. Not sure what that does, or if that is the one I should select. As it stands, I think the DVD I did watch was upscaled. In which case, I wasn't that impressed. I'll try some other DVDs though (the one I sampled was The Incredibles, which may have had something to do with my reaction), and mess with some of the settings to see if they make a difference.

For what it's worth, I'm really liking our PS3 so far. Runs silent, graphics are great, and I've been able to pick up a solid game library for it fairly cheaply. I really think this system can go head-to-head with the XBox 360 if they could just get even on price.

I do have to say, however, that from the little I've looked at the Trophies system for PS3 games, I almost wish I got an Xbox 360 for their more developed Achievements system. I'm envious.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2008, 03:09:53 PM »

FWIW, found this on the PS3 site:

Upscaling DVD Output Settings
Off: Disable upscaled output.
Double Scale*: Upscale and display with double horizontal and vertical dimensions without changing the proportions.
Normal: Upscale and display at a size that matches the screen size.
Full Screen: Upscale and display at full screen by changing proportions and stretching the image.

* This option can be used only when the PLAYSTATION 3 is set to output video at 1080p or 1080i via an HDMI or component AV cables.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: December 29, 2008, 06:38:01 PM »

So, looks like double scale will cause it to scale it up to 1080 resolution.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: December 29, 2008, 08:06:35 PM »

Quote from: yossar on December 26, 2008, 09:29:40 AM

To the point where there may be consumer perception that if you don't have an HDTV, don't bother buying a 360 or PS3. 

I would agree with that perception, though.  If you can only afford one or the other, get an HDTV now and a PS3/XBOX some time down the road.  Especially since half the point of getting a PS3 is the Blu Ray player.  There's no way I'd get either system without an HDTV.

I bought me a 22 inch Vizio hdtv that I use as my pc monitor (typing via it now), by 360 TV, and my PS3 TV.  Best purchase EVER.  Great picture and sound and perfect size for gaming when sitting about PC distance away.  Perfect and less than $400.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 29, 2008, 09:07:44 PM »

Land in sight: Sony cuts PS3 production cost by 35%

The console, thanks to its Cell processor, expensive XDR memory, a pricey GPU and a Blu-ray drive, may have carried a production cost of nearly twice its retail price initially.
According to iSuppli, the first version of the PS3 carried an estimated bill of materials of $690.23 (according to a 2007 estimate, which was down from more than $900 estimate in 2006), while the newly revised PS3 is believed to cost Sony $448.73 in materials, manufacturing and box content. This number is still above the console’s $399 retail price, but the new design allows Sony to cut its losses dramatically.

iSuppli said that the revised PS3 design (80 GB) contains about 2820 individual parts, compared to 4048 in the previous-generation model with a 60 GB hard drive. All of the key integrated circuits in the new PS3 have undergone changes and employ more advanced process geometry compared to the previous model, the market research firm said. Key parts, which include Nvidia’s Reality Synthesizer, IBM’s Cell Broadband Engine and Toshiba’s I/O controller are now manufactured in 65 nm, cut the overall power consumption of the PS3 and reduce the number of discrete components in the console.
“With its new-generation PS3, Sony has come closer to breaking even, although it probably hasn’t quite reached that mark yet,” said Andrew Rassweiler, director and principal analyst, teardown services, for iSuppli. “With iSuppli’s estimated PS3 cost at $448.73, the product retailing in the United States at around $399 and taking into account other expenses, the PS3 may be able to break even in 2009 with further hardware revisions.”

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 30, 2008, 12:15:26 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 29, 2008, 09:07:44 PM

Land in sight: Sony cuts PS3 production cost by 35%

The console, thanks to its Cell processor, expensive XDR memory, a pricey GPU and a Blu-ray drive, may have carried a production cost of nearly twice its retail price initially.
According to iSuppli, the first version of the PS3 carried an estimated bill of materials of $690.23 (according to a 2007 estimate, which was down from more than $900 estimate in 2006), while the newly revised PS3 is believed to cost Sony $448.73 in materials, manufacturing and box content. This number is still above the console’s $399 retail price, but the new design allows Sony to cut its losses dramatically.

iSuppli said that the revised PS3 design (80 GB) contains about 2820 individual parts, compared to 4048 in the previous-generation model with a 60 GB hard drive. All of the key integrated circuits in the new PS3 have undergone changes and employ more advanced process geometry compared to the previous model, the market research firm said. Key parts, which include Nvidia’s Reality Synthesizer, IBM’s Cell Broadband Engine and Toshiba’s I/O controller are now manufactured in 65 nm, cut the overall power consumption of the PS3 and reduce the number of discrete components in the console.
“With its new-generation PS3, Sony has come closer to breaking even, although it probably hasn’t quite reached that mark yet,” said Andrew Rassweiler, director and principal analyst, teardown services, for iSuppli. “With iSuppli’s estimated PS3 cost at $448.73, the product retailing in the United States at around $399 and taking into account other expenses, the PS3 may be able to break even in 2009 with further hardware revisions.”

Breaking even at $399 isn't going to cut it.  They need to drop to a $299 price point by mid 2009 or they are in big trouble.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: December 30, 2008, 12:45:00 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 30, 2008, 12:15:26 AM

Breaking even at $399 isn't going to cut it.  They need to drop to a $299 price point by mid 2009 or they are in big trouble.

They needed to drop to $299 3 months ago. Or at least something cheaper than $399.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 30, 2008, 02:33:30 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 30, 2008, 12:45:00 AM

Quote from: denoginizer on December 30, 2008, 12:15:26 AM

They needed to drop to $299 3 months ago. Or at least something cheaper than $399.

No kidding, finally getting the cost down to roughly $450 when you really need to be in a position to only charge $300 is ridiculous. Then when you consider that blu-ray players are now selling for $200 -yes even in Canada now- and it all spells 1 helluva big screw-up by Sony this gen. With the 360 now at $300 for the primary SKU and selling decently, I don't see the PS3 gaining any traction until it crosses the 300 barrier.
I mean wholly crap, Iwata and Miyamoto must piss themselves to sleep with laughter every night.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:41:35 AM by kronovan » Logged
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: December 30, 2008, 03:20:12 AM »

One of my best friend just purchased Blu-ray player for $200.00.

When I asked him why not PS3 instead of regular Blu-ray player, he said why spend extra $100.00 for something he's not going to use...

Also, out of 10 closest gamer friend,

All 10 has XBOX360.
5 has Playstation 3
4 has Nintendo Wii

Friend who use;
XBOX360 as main console: 9
Playstation 3 as main console: 1
Nintendo Wii as main console: 0   

Friend who use PS3 as main DVD & Blue-Ray player: 4 (out of 5 who has PS3)
Dumbass who still use XBOX360 HDVD drive (and thinks that It's still better than Blu-Ray and will rise from dead soon): 1

warning

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 30, 2008, 03:31:59 AM »

Quote from: biggercup on December 30, 2008, 03:20:12 AM

Dumbass who still use XBOX360 HDVD drive (and thinks that It's still better than Blu-Ray and will rise from dead soon): 1

That's awesome.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2009, 01:16:44 PM »

Quote from: biggercup on December 30, 2008, 03:20:12 AM

One of my best friend just purchased Blu-ray player for $200.00.

When I asked him why not PS3 instead of regular Blu-ray player, he said why spend extra $100.00 for something he's not going to use...

Also, out of 10 closest gamer friend,

All 10 has XBOX360.
5 has Playstation 3
4 has Nintendo Wii

Friend who use;
XBOX360 as main console: 9
Playstation 3 as main console: 1
Nintendo Wii as main console: 0   

Friend who use PS3 as main DVD & Blue-Ray player: 4 (out of 5 who has PS3)

Biggercup is English your first language? If so then your lack of plurals astounds me.  If not then I apologize for my insensitivity.  I'm just not sure because I know that Japanese also don't use plurals and you do have a cup ramen as your avatar. smile
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2009, 01:41:30 PM »

I think they need to do a 'slimline' rehaul and drop the price to $299 or they will be the step-child locked in garage of this generation.  I own one of the 60g versions and it is definitely my console of choice though.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2009, 03:37:01 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on January 02, 2009, 01:41:30 PM

I think they need to do a 'slimline' rehaul and drop the price to $299 or they will be the step-child locked in garage of this generation.  I own one of the 60g versions and it is definitely my console of choice though.

with everything that's in there and the need to keep it cool I'm not sure they can slim it down at all.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 02, 2009, 03:43:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 02, 2009, 03:37:01 PM

Quote from: mikeg on January 02, 2009, 01:41:30 PM

with everything that's in there and the need to keep it cool I'm not sure they can slim it down at all.

At the very least they could slim it down by making the power supply external like the 360.  Plus they've already got some extra space from cutting out the backwards compat chips, the card reader, and the two USB ports. Tongue
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2009, 02:46:51 AM »

I predicted a third-place finish for PS3 when it launched. They held out a LOT longer than I thought they would, but market forces seldom lie. While they won the format war, it was the equivalent of sacrificing half their chess pieces to take their opponent's queen. They're reaping what they've sown, however. They have always been an arrogant company who thought they knew what their customers wanted more than their customers did. Payback's a bitch.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2009, 03:14:04 AM »

The thing is, Sony was gaining (slowly, yes) until this Holiday season. Then the XBox 360 cut their price and Sony did nothing. I bet Sony gets killed for December sales. If they had matched Microsoft on price, I think they could have won the holiday season.

They also should have trumpeted that you can play regular DVDs on the PS3 and see an improved picture. Heck, when I got my PS3 this month I didn't even know that it could play regular DVDs at all. I thought it could only play Blu-Rays.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2009, 03:37:14 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on January 03, 2009, 03:14:04 AM

The thing is, Sony was gaining (slowly, yes) until this Holiday season. Then the XBox 360 cut their price and Sony did nothing. I bet Sony gets killed for December sales. If they had matched Microsoft on price, I think they could have won the holiday season.

They also should have trumpeted that you can play regular DVDs on the PS3 and see an improved picture. Heck, when I got my PS3 this month I didn't even know that it could play regular DVDs at all. I thought it could only play Blu-Rays.

Seriously? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2009, 04:18:42 AM »

You'd be surprised how many people don't know that Blu-ray players are backwards compatible with DVDs.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2009, 04:36:02 AM »

they should have put 8 track compatibility in it; without that it's a sinking ship.

Because I can,
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2009, 05:33:04 AM »

Hey I just threw my PS3 in the bath tub and it floated, I don't know what all this sinking ship stuff is about. . . icon_razz

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2009, 08:00:24 AM »

As people get their HD's (like me  nod) they're want a bluray player. I'm now on the hunt for one - not to bothered re the gaming side but the media side does interest.If the price was cheaper and not by much it would be in my living room now smile

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2009, 08:18:24 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 03, 2009, 05:33:04 AM

Hey I just threw my PS3 in the bath tub and it floated, I don't know what all this sinking ship stuff is about. . . icon_razz

no no no... you have to have it plugged in and be sitting in your bath tub for the true sinking ship effect to become obvious.

Because I can,
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 03, 2009, 08:44:20 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 03, 2009, 03:37:14 AM

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on January 03, 2009, 03:14:04 AM

Seriously? 

Yup. Cross my heart. I've got a decent DVD player, so it wasn't an factor in getting a PS3, but I just never heard that you could play regular DVDs in a Blu-Ray player, let alone see improvement in the quality.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 03, 2009, 07:45:33 PM »

I own a 360, will probably buy a PS3 at some point, and own a Wii (that collects dust and hasn't been used in months).  To me, I never understood the hatred for any of the companies; it is in our best interest to have all three succeed, as competition begets a better, cheaper product for us, the consumers.

However, when I read things such as the following:

When the companies entered into their partnership in 2001, Sony, Toshiba and IBM committed themselves to spending $400 million over five years to design the Cell, not counting the millions of dollars it would take to build two production facilities for making the chip itself. IBM provided the bulk of the manpower, with the design team headquartered at its Austin, Texas, offices. Sony and Toshiba sent teams of engineers to Austin to live and work with their partners in an effort to have the Cell ready for the Playstation 3's target launch, Christmas 2005.

But a funny thing happened along the way: A new "partner" entered the picture. In late 2002, Microsoft approached IBM about making the chip for Microsoft's rival game console, the (as yet unnamed) Xbox 360. In 2003, IBM's Adam Bennett showed Microsoft specs for the still-in-development Cell core. Microsoft was interested and contracted with IBM for their own chip, to be built around the core that IBM was still building with Sony.

All three of the original partners had agreed that IBM would eventually sell the Cell to other clients. But it does not seem to have occurred to Sony that IBM would sell key parts of the Cell before it was complete and to Sony's primary videogame-console competitor. The result was that Sony's R&D money was spent creating a component for Microsoft to use against it.

Mr. Shippy and Ms. Phipps detail the resulting absurdity: IBM employees hiding their work from Sony and Toshiba engineers in the cubicles next to them; the Xbox chip being tested a few floors above the Cell design teams. Mr. Shippy says that he felt "contaminated" as he sat down with the Microsoft engineers, helping them to sketch out their architectural requirements with lessons learned from his earlier work on Playstation.

The deal only got worse for Sony. Both designs were delivered on time to IBM's manufacturing division, but there was a problem with the first chip run. Microsoft had had the foresight to order backup manufacturing capacity from a third party. Sony did not and had to wait another six weeks to get their first chips. So Microsoft actually got the chip that Sony helped design before Sony did. In the end, Microsoft's Xbox 360 hit its target launch in November 2005, becoming its own success. Because of various delays, the Playstation 3 was pushed back a full year.

You have to laugh...this is ridiculous.  Pure and simple, this could have been avoided with simple, boilerplate exclusivity language in the R&D contract.  The fact that it wasn't included (and if it was...you'd have heard about a massive lawsuit by now)...shows to me more evidence (and perhaps the most damning) that Sony is a business run by clowns.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 03, 2009, 09:36:59 PM »

The 360 is my favorite console of this generation. Having said that, I've never understood all of the venom directed at Sony. This generation their machine is a fantastic piece of hardware that has superior engineering to the 360. Put the two side-by-side, and the 360 looks and sounds like a piece of hardware that Microsoft managed to hoodwink the market into purchasing. The PS3, in comparison, is solid, quiet and cool. Plus you get a Blu ray player, plus you get better upscaling, plus you get PSP compatibility, etc.

These features make the PS3 more expensive. But over the course of 5 years these added features, plus the added craftsmanship, are a small price to pay. Add in some exemplary exclusives and you have a console that almost anyone should want to own.

I love that Sony pushes the envelope. The PS3 and PSP are remarkable pieces of hardware. The PSP gave us access to games, pictures, music, movies, and the internet, all wrapped in a machine with significantly more horsepower than the DS. And most new firmware updates add further bells and whistles to the PSP.  From a feature and price point comparison, the DS is almost an insult.

Thanks to Nintendo and the market's fixation solely on price point, the gaming landscape will now move forward in baby steps. I applaud Nintendo on their courage to try a new controller style, but I damn them for giving me a Gamecube version 1.5 under the hood. The Wii will change the landscape of the next generation. Anyone who doesn't believe that Microsoft and Sony are now thinking "we could get more for less next time around" is simply misguided.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:45:44 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2009, 09:52:12 PM »

I'd love to see some numbers on that- Considering the success of the Wii, I can't help but wonder if both MS and Sony miscalculated and pushed the HD thing too hard.  To the point where there may be consumer perception that if you don't have an HDTV, don't bother buying a 360 or PS3. 

+2 anecdotes

A friend and I absolutely refused to buy the 360 until we had our HDTVs. Why pay the price if you can't afford to get the eyecandy? Its akin to purchasing the finest home theater equipment, and coupling it with $99 Emerson speakers.

...And you know almost every associate at Best Buy and Circuit City was communicating that point. I can't tell you how many times I heard something like "You really need to buy the bundle."
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:54:20 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 03, 2009, 10:23:04 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on January 03, 2009, 09:36:59 PM

Thanks to Nintendo and the market's fixation solely on price point, the gaming landscape will now move forward in baby steps. I applaud Nintendo on their courage to try a new controller style, but I damn them for giving me a Gamecube version 1.5 under the hood. The Wii will change the landscape of the next generation. Anyone who doesn't believe that Microsoft and Sony are now thinking "we could get more for less next time around" is simply misguided.

Actually it will really only mean a return to past efforts and strategies for Sony. The PS2 was behind both the Gamecube and XBox in hardware technology with the exception that it supported DVD over the GC's minidisk. As well, other than the inclusion of a CD-ROM the PS1 was a less sophisticated machine in every way when compared to the N64. Both of those Sony consoles more than met the needs of consumers and attracted a lot excellent 3rd party support. The biggest change in direction will come from Microsoft since they've delivered a bleeding edge consoles for 2 gen's so far.

Quote from: Dante Rising on January 03, 2009, 09:52:12 PM

+2 anecdotes

A friend and I absolutely refused to buy the 360 until we had our HDTVs. Why pay the price if you can't afford to get the eyecandy? Its akin to purchasing the finest home theater equipment, and coupling it with $99 Emerson speakers.

...And you know almost every associate at Best Buy and Circuit City was communicating that point. I can't tell you how many times I heard something like "You really need to buy the bundle."

Where I think Microsoft and Sony made the mistake was with pushing 1080p. Why not just develop 720p capable consoles which is already a doubling over last gen's 480p. PC gaming has shown for some time that high resolution graphics really eat processing cycles, increase RAM overhead and demand costly GPU's. I'm sure a lot of Sony's decision was driven by the blu-ray + Sony 1080p HDTVs marketing combo, but it's a bit perplexing why MS decided to intro new 1080p SKU's after they'd already debuted their console. I know that in my city it's only been over the past year that 1080p HDTV's have become affordable, whereas MS intro'd their 1st 360 more than 3 years ago.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »

The PS3 is PSP compatible?  eek

I really should read the manual to my PS3 sometime. That's cool.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 04, 2009, 02:10:53 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on January 03, 2009, 11:18:49 PM

it also plays games.  betcha didn't know that  icon_wink

Because I can,
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 04, 2009, 02:50:06 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 04, 2009, 02:10:53 AM

it also plays games.  betcha didn't know that  icon_wink

Har! Nice try, but you can't fool me! I've already tried a half dozen XBox 360 games and none of them worked. And I can't even find a slot for DS cartridges. Heck, it doesn't even play Playstation 2 games.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: January 04, 2009, 02:56:13 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on January 03, 2009, 09:52:12 PM

+2 anecdotes

360 games still look much better than their Xbox 1 predecessors, even on an old SDTV.  You're obviously not getting the full experience, but it is a marked improvement.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 04, 2009, 03:36:39 AM »

Yeah, I had a 360 for about a year before I got an HDTV, and it looked good on the regular TV.  Not nearly HD good, but good enough that I didn't feel like I'd wasted money.  Vastly superior to the 1st xbox.

You get the eye candy, you just don't get the resolution.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 04, 2009, 04:15:16 AM »

God tell me about it.  Reading any sort of text was a pain in the A$$!!
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 04, 2009, 08:44:28 PM »

Duuuuuuuude.....

Remote play? You don't know that you can load a previous gen Playstation game on the PS3 and play it directly on the PSP? You can also download PSP demos via the PS3 and PSN, and easily transfer them to your PSP. Play music and video from your PSP directly on to your PS3, or your PS3 back to your PSP? The list goes on and on....actually those are the high points.

If I remember correctly, you can also play your PSP games on the PS3 now. (Could be wrong about this)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:46:51 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 04, 2009, 08:48:49 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on January 03, 2009, 09:36:59 PM

Dante, while I think you make some excellent points, particularly alluding to how Microsoft has done a much better job of marketing this generation, this last paragraph is out of touch, IMO. I've owned both PSP and DS. I have more fun with the DS. That's ultimately what matters, not what the feature set is. Clearly, I'm not the only one that shares that opinion, because on paper, there should be no contest. I think to imply that DS outsells PSP and Wii outsells its competition solely because of price is grossly inaccurate. This is particularly true with respect to the Wii since you can get a 360 for less.

But putting that point aside, I don't think you need to be concerned about the next generation. Regardless of what Nintendo does, I think that Sony and MS are both going to want to claim that they have the tech advantage over the other. I don't see them both doing what you've suggested for fear of what the other will or won't do. After all, Nintendo has a virtual lock on the casual market right now. If MS or Sony were to introduce a new generation that blew the minds of the hardcore gaming segment and the other didn't have an answer ready, they'd be in deep, deep trouble. Furthermore, I think it's safe to say that both companies have had plans in place for their next console since long before the Wii established the dominance it is currently enjoying.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: