http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:12:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 60GB freezing up (not YLOD)  (Read 1410 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:52:49 PM »

Was playing MAG last night when my PS3 froze up at the menu. You could still hear the sound, but nothing was moving on the screen. Controller wouldn't work either. Had to manually turn the ps3 off and back on again. When it started again, you'd hear the sony music, and just before going to the main menu it'd freeze up again with a bunch of artifcats (lines) going across the screen. PS3 still on, no way to use controller. Reset it again, same thing - bunch of lines going across the screen but could hear the music on starting it up.

Waited an hour, turned it on again, and it went fine. Tried a game of MAG - finished game (20 minutes) and at the menu, it froze again. PS3 still on, music still heard, but screen completely frozen. Manual reset again - and artficats/lines on screen on the restart!

New day today, powered up PS3, turned on fine..

Any ideas what may be the problem? I'm really hoping my PS3 still has a lot of life in it yet as I just got it a couple of months ago and chose the 60GB over the newer slim models because of the BC. Also upgraded my hard drive to 500GB and have a TON of games and DLC on it so I'd hate for my PS3 to just die without any warning.. but sadly, maybe I'm seeing the warnings now.

Btw the warranty seal is still intact so it's never been modified or repaired (other than me adding the 500gb hard drive but that's officially supported by sony) any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:00:31 PM »

It's probably dying.  Mine did that for about 2 days before it blowed up.

BACK UP YOUR HARD DRIVE TO USB NOW (if you care about your save data).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »

Artifacts on start up makes me think the video card/chip/imp is dying.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »

Turned it on about 20 minutes ago, let it stay at the menu and left the house for a few minutes, came back and the artifact / lines across the screen were on again, completely frozen up. (But no yellow/red lights - ps3 still has the green light and is able to eject the disc.)
Will backing up to a USB hard drive also save all the games and downloadbale content I bought on the store? (We're talking at least $500 worth of stuff! - That includes all my PSP games as well though.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:01:47 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 17, 2011, 09:41:45 PM

Turned it on about 20 minutes ago, let it stay at the menu and left the house for a few minutes, came back and the artifact / lines across the screen were on again, completely frozen up. (But no yellow/red lights - ps3 still has the green light and is able to eject the disc.)
Will backing up to a USB hard drive also save all the games and downloadbale content I bought on the store? (We're talking at least $500 worth of stuff! - That includes all my PSP games as well though.)

My sons PS3 did the same thing for 2 weeks before the HD finally failed luckily it was still under warranty and Sony Took care of it and put a new HD in for him.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:07:56 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 17, 2011, 09:41:45 PM

You will be able to redownload all of your stuff, even with a new PS3, so no worries there. It's just a pain in the arse to have to reDL it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 07:44:59 AM »

yeah - as soon as you log into PSN you can see a list of everything you ever downloaded and bought.

Too bad about the console though - hate when things like that happens.

A new one
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: