http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 02:42:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3's at Best Buy this Sunday  (Read 3253 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2006, 12:08:16 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on December 28, 2006, 12:03:11 AM

Is there any argument that this time last year the 360 was flying off the shelves much faster than the PS3 can?

I've seen a few PS3's here and there, EB had a couple more the other day and had a BIG line, but everyone was waiting for the Wii.. while nobody was buying the PS3's.
This time last year, even into the early new year, 360's were being picked up before they could even make it to the shelves. I think i got my first one around April, and even then, they were still selling like hot cakes.

And I DO want a PS3, the trouble is, I'm not willing to spend $600 on one. Sony effectively put the PS3 out of the every day 'average joe's' reach. 

Well if we want to speak anecdotally, it was considerably easier last year for me to get a 360 than a PS3 this year, so by that logic, the PS3 is considerably more popular this year slywink

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2006, 12:10:30 AM »

I rip all consoles at one point or another, yet I still buy them.  The PS3 is the first console that I honestly don't want.

Seriously? What makes you NOT want one at all? That is pretty incredible. You won't be able to play many of the Playstations greatest franchises without one. That alone would make me at least WANT one. Doesn't mean that I could get one or would buy one at this price...but I would WANT one.

Being able to download more than a stupid 50MB limit for downloadable games would make me want one even more. The new Tekken HD is 850MB. It would never happen on the 360, due to that stupid limit and the fact that they didn't include a hard drive on every system sold.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2006, 12:18:45 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 28, 2006, 12:10:30 AM

I rip all consoles at one point or another, yet I still buy them.  The PS3 is the first console that I honestly don't want.

Seriously? What makes you NOT want one at all? That is pretty incredible. You won't be able to play many of the Playstations greatest franchises without one. That alone would make me at least WANT one. Doesn't mean that I could get one or would buy one at this price...but I would WANT one.

Being able to download more than a stupid 50MB limit for downloadable games would make me want one even more. The new Tekken HD is 850MB. It would never happen on the 360, due to that stupid limit and the fact that they didn't include a hard drive on every system sold.

Why are you trying to derail your own thread? 

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2006, 12:19:18 AM »

Anecdotally, in my store, Wii demand (and DS) continues to outpace PS3 demand by a wide margin.
When I left work today, we had PS3s in stock. More often than not people that ask if we have them
(the PS3) can't actually afford to buy them. There is demand for PS3, don't get me wrong, it just isn't
grab the pitchforks crazy demand.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2006, 12:22:08 AM »

I rip all consoles at one point or another, yet I still buy them.  The PS3 is the first console that I honestly don't want.

Right now the only reason I can think of to buy one is Resistance.  I have zero interest in using a game console for movies, and my TV does not support 1080p. I do not play JRPGs or platformers.  Also in my opinion what makes XBL Arcade good is that it gives small developers a chance to compete.  If there is no download size limit it will allow big development houses to dominate and overshadow smaller indie stuff. 

There aren't alot of games that interest me on the Wii either.  But there is a big difference between $250 and $500, and Wii Sports is great fun.  I'm sure I will eventually want a PS3.  Right now I do not.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 12:26:36 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2006, 12:33:47 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on December 28, 2006, 12:18:45 AM

I rip all consoles at one point or another, yet I still buy them.  The PS3 is the first console that I honestly don't want.

Why are you trying to derail your own thread? 

Oh it's was derailed long ago. The topic is about PS3's being available on Sunday. 80% of the thread hasn't had anything to do with that. So, since a bunch of people were using this thread to take swipes at the PS3, I might as well tell them why I think the 360 isn't all it's cracked up to be either.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2006, 12:41:17 AM »

They were available at the Best Buy in Beaverton, Ore. Friday night.  I saw a father and a daughter purchasing one - they had to ask an employee about the "We have PS3s in stock" sign and the employee told them they had five 60 gb in stock and zero 20 gb.  The father then asked something along the lines of, "What is better - the 60gb or the 20gb?"  Yikes!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2006, 12:45:57 AM »

Quote from: depward on December 28, 2006, 12:41:17 AM

They were available at the Best Buy in Beaverton, Ore. Friday night.  I saw a father and a daughter purchasing one - they had to ask an employee about the "We have PS3s in stock" sign and the employee told them they had five 60 gb in stock and zero 20 gb.  The father then asked something along the lines of, "What is better - the 60gb or the 20gb?"  Yikes!

It's a fair question actually - both versions have value depending on what you need.  If you really don't need wireless, you really should just buy the 20gb.

gellar
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2006, 12:53:04 AM »

Quote from: gellar on December 28, 2006, 12:45:57 AM

Quote from: depward on December 28, 2006, 12:41:17 AM

It's a fair question actually - both versions have value depending on what you need.  If you really don't need wireless, you really should just buy the 20gb.

gellar

Thats true, and if I would have seen a 20gig version in stock I would probably own it right now. 

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2006, 12:56:43 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 28, 2006, 12:22:08 AM

Right now the only reason I can think of to buy one is Resistance.  I have zero interest in using a game console for movies, and my TV does not support 1080p. I do not play JRPGs or platformers.  Also in my opinion what makes XBL Arcade good is that it gives small developers a chance to compete.  If there is no download size limit it will allow big development houses to dominate and overshadow smaller indie stuff. 

There aren't alot of games that interest me on the Wii either.  But there is a big difference between $250 and $500, and Wii Sports is great fun.  I'm sure I will eventually want a PS3.  Right now I do not.

Curiousity:   I thought the Blueray's optimum resolution was 720p?   Can someone address this or did I just imagine myself hearing it?
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2006, 12:57:46 AM »

?

I recall downloading PLENTY of demos that were a GIG+ on XBL. If you are comparing a professionally made Tekken Demo to the games on Live Arcade... well that is just silly. Yeah, I imagine that Tekken HD will be more impressive than Gauntlet.  Roll Eyes

I am with some of the others, I know deep down that I will eventually get a PS3, but now is not the time. All of those "franchise" games that Hetz is waiting for are not even close to being out. Personally, I want to wait and see what the next version of the PS3 is like. I waited on the 360 and I am glad I did considering the failure rate on the launch consoles.

I even have a 1080P television and would love to see the PS3 on it, but not for ONE game (resistance).
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2006, 12:59:39 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 28, 2006, 12:56:43 AM

Quote from: denoginizer on December 28, 2006, 12:22:08 AM

Curiousity:   I thought the Blueray's optimum resolution was 720p?   Can someone address this or did I just imagine myself hearing it?

Inaccurate.  1080p is the optimum resolution, but honestly I think you'd be hard pressed to find any major difference between 1080p vs 1080i/720p (which still look awesome).  Certainly not enough to make me buy a new tv.

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2006, 01:21:33 AM »

Quote from: gilgamex on December 28, 2006, 12:57:46 AM

?

I recall downloading PLENTY of demos that were a GIG+ on XBL. If you are comparing a professionally made Tekken Demo to the games on Live Arcade... well that is just silly. Yeah, I imagine that Tekken HD will be more impressive than Gauntlet.  Roll Eyes

I am with some of the others, I know deep down that I will eventually get a PS3, but now is not the time. All of those "franchise" games that Hetz is waiting for are not even close to being out. Personally, I want to wait and see what the next version of the PS3 is like. I waited on the 360 and I am glad I did considering the failure rate on the launch consoles.

I even have a 1080P television and would love to see the PS3 on it, but not for ONE game (resistance).

Except, Tekken is not a demo at all. It's the full retail game....unless you consider Tekken: DR for the PSP a demo as well. Tekken for the PS3 is the full aracde game, Tekken 5 Dark Resolution, upgraded to 1080p with upgrades to the polygon count, textures and effects. It also includes some of the PSP features as a bonus. Name one full 360 game that you can download that is over 50MB....that's right, you can't. They don't exist. You can download demos over 50MB, but not full games. That is beyond stupid.

I really wish that they would drop that silly limit. They could have a ton of kick ass full games for download on Live, instead of games like Gauntlet, if they did away with it. In fact, today's events just illustrate the point perfectly.

Let's see....you can get Rally-X for $5 on Live today....or for $10 more you can get an upgraded version of Tekken: Dark Resolution for the PS3.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 01:31:17 AM by Hetz » Logged

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2006, 01:32:17 AM »

If you dig around through the data on http://www.vgcharts.org you can actually see that the PS3 is on track to roughly equal (and possibly exceed) the sales of the 360 for their respective first two months of sales (~700k total from launch to year's end).

I don't know, however, if this is purely units shipped, or actual sales, as obviously we're more concerned with sales here than with quantity shipped. If you disagree, there's a stockpile of Atari ET cartridges buried somewhere in the desert that's a testament to the irrelevance of units shipped. icon_wink

In Japan, the numbers are much more telling so far: the PS3 appears to have outsold the 360 by a 4:1 ratio. However, that's actually quite surprising. I have to wonder if they're sold out or if the demand is dropping (not a slam, a genuine curiosity).

Even more surprising, while the PS3 is on track to have sold/shipped a bit over 1 million units worldwide by year's end, the Wii has exceeded 3 million already. :icon_eek: I expected good sales for the Wii, but that's surprisingly successful.

I'm really curious to see the final NPD numbers come out for December.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2006, 01:41:03 AM »

Lack of games at the moment. I don't buy into the playstations greatest franchises I guess. Gran Turismo doesn't do it for me. GTA isn't exclusive anymore. I'm indifferent to platformers and fighters, I'll take what shows up on 360. If I had both sitting in front of me in a store and $500 in my pocket I'd buy a Wii. Of course my HDTV doesn't do HDMI or 1080p so that probably has an impact and I'm not willing to invest in the next gen video wars at this point.

There are plenty of reasons not to want one.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2006, 02:02:15 AM »

Quote from: ATB on December 27, 2006, 11:41:20 PM

Quote from: ATB
These threads are getting old.

Yes. Yes they are. Is the official GT cooling off period over yet?

+1.  I think it's firmly established who thinks Hetz is a Consumer Whore and who thinks he's the next best thing since prostitution, so do we really need to dump in every thread he creates?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: