http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 03:57:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3's at Best Buy this Sunday  (Read 3248 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2006, 04:54:10 PM »

From Best Buy's ad which starts on the 31st...

Playstation 3 Tickets >>>> We’ll hand out tickets one hour prior to store opening on Sunday 12/31/06. // One PS3 per ticket and tickets are valid for 1 hour after that’s store’s opening. // Minimum 25 60GB PS3s per store // Limit 1 per customer // No rain checks

Not bad at all....25 minimum per store of the 60GB. Nice.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 05:07:58 PM »

They actually don't seem that hard to find anymore.  I saw a 60 GB at my local Best Buy this past Saturday evening and my wife saw several at Target yesterday. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 05:09:04 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 27, 2006, 05:07:58 PM

They actually don't seem that hard to find anymore.  I saw a 60 GB at my local Best Buy this past Saturday evening and my wife saw several at Target yesterday. 

now if only the same could be said of the Wii.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 05:22:26 PM »

<crickets>
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 05:24:22 PM »

Hey guys, go easy on Hetz.  He is just trying to earn his ad revenue from Sony.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »

I can do better than that.

I saw PS3s at Best Buy TODAY !!!

A couple of 20 gig models were sitting there when I went on my lunch break this morning.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 05:47:37 PM »

Yeah, I am pretty impressed with Sony and their ability to get these things into stores. Kudos to them on getting the shipments out to stores!  thumbsup

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 05:54:12 PM »

Section I,   msduncan PS3 Fanboi
---------------------------------------------------------------

You Xbox fanbois need to STFU.    This is proof positive that Sony has their act together in resupplying these systems.    It's only a matter of time and a couple releases until, once again, Sony stretches their market lead.    And Xbox really sucks in sales numbers and number of quality exclusives.   Sure you have Gears of War but how far can that carry a system?    PS3 is more powerful in terms of hardware, and Sony is the strongarm of the industry so it's inevitible that they will win.

Section II, msduncan Xbox360 Fanboi

Sony is totally blowing this whole launch.   They have games that are crap.    What, ONE launch game that is any good?   And the Motorstorm import has been getting crap reviews.    No thanks!   Their interface sucks and their online component is a joke.    The reason there's so many available is because everyone knows they SUCK!

Section III, msduncan Wii Fanboi

The reason so many PS3's are available is because Wii has been the hot item this year.    Everyone has woken up and realized that fun supercedes junky new DVD technology that nobody wants, and having to take out a bank loan just to buy an Xbox or a PS3.    Screw that action!   I flip my nunchuk at thee!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 05:56:02 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 27, 2006, 05:47:37 PM

Yeah, I am pretty impressed with Sony and their ability to get these things into stores. Kudos to them on getting the shipments out to stores!  thumbsup

I guess that is one way to look at it.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 05:58:22 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 27, 2006, 05:54:12 PM

Section I,   msduncan PS3 Fanboi

You Xbox fanbois need to STFU.    This is proof positive that Sony has their act together in resupplying these systems.    It's only a matter of time and a couple releases until, once again, Sony stretches their market lead.    And Xbox really sucks in sales numbers and number of quality exclusives.   Sure you have Gears of War but how far can that carry a system?    PS3 is more powerful in terms of hardware, and Sony is the strongarm of the industry so it's inevitible that they will win.

Sony is totally blowing this whole launch.   They have games that are crap.    What, ONE launch game that is any good?   And the Motorstorm import has been getting crap reviews.    No thanks!   Their interface sucks and their online component is a joke.    The reason there's so many available is because everyone knows they SUCK!

The reason so many PS3's are available is because Wii has been the hot item this year.    Everyone has woken up and realized that fun supercedes junky new DVD technology that nobody wants, and having to take out a bank loan just to buy an Xbox or a PS3.    Screw that action!   I flip my nunchuk at thee!

I remember you mentioning you were going to do this and now that I have seen it, it is funny as hell.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 06:04:04 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 27, 2006, 05:56:02 PM

Quote from: Hetz on December 27, 2006, 05:47:37 PM

I guess that is one way to look at it.

Yes, and that would be the correct way.   :slywink:

Section I,   msduncan PS3 Fanboi

You Xbox fanbois need to STFU.    This is proof positive that Sony has their act together in resupplying these systems.    It's only a matter of time and a couple releases until, once again, Sony stretches their market lead.    And Xbox really sucks in sales numbers and number of quality exclusives.   Sure you have Gears of War but how far can that carry a system?    PS3 is more powerful in terms of hardware, and Sony is the strongarm of the industry so it's inevitible that they will win.

Sony is totally blowing this whole launch.   They have games that are crap.    What, ONE launch game that is any good?   And the Motorstorm import has been getting crap reviews.    No thanks!   Their interface sucks and their online component is a joke.    The reason there's so many available is because everyone knows they SUCK!

The reason so many PS3's are available is because Wii has been the hot item this year.    Everyone has woken up and realized that fun supercedes junky new DVD technology that nobody wants, and having to take out a bank loan just to buy an Xbox or a PS3.    Screw that action!   I flip my nunchuk at thee!

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

That is awesome.

Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 06:04:14 PM »

I have seen a couple stores with PS3s in stock.  Now if they would just get a WII in.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 06:07:32 PM »

It does seem much easier now to get a PS3 than it was to get a 360 around this time last year.  Now how much of that is due to supply vs demand (especially at the given price) is something none of us will actually be able to figure out, other than by looking at sales figures for each system at this point in time.  If someone could dig those out, I'd be interested.

I know quite a few folks who'd like a PS3, but don't want to drop $500 on the console.  I also still know quite a few folks who'd be willing to spend the money, but still can't find one.  Hard to draw a conclusion with any sort of certainty with that info.

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 06:08:53 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 27, 2006, 06:07:32 PM

It does seem much easier now to get a PS3 than it was to get a 360 around this time last year.  Now how much of that is due to supply vs demand (especially at the given price) is something none of us will actually be able to figure out, other than by looking at sales figures for each system at this point in time.  If someone could dig those out, I'd be interested.

I know quite a few folks who'd like a PS3, but don't want to drop $500 on the console.  I also still know quite a few folks who'd be willing to spend the money, but still can't find one.  Hard to draw a conclusion with any sort of certainty with that info.

gellar

The December NPD #'s should be VERY interesting. It will be interesting to compare the PS3 December numbers with the 360's December numbers from last year....

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 06:13:48 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 27, 2006, 06:08:53 PM

The December NPD #'s should be VERY interesting. It will be interesting to compare the PS3 December numbers with the 360's December numbers from last year....

I'm not sure what that number really tells us, though.  I mean, both systems were sold out in stores meaning they sold as many as they made.  Let's say the PS3 comes out with lower sales figures.  That just means that Sony made less of them than Microsoft made 360s last year.  If Microsoft has a lower sales figure, it is just because Microsoft made less 360s than Sony made PS3s.  I don't think those numbers will tell us anything meaningful other than which company made more units for their first Christmas.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 06:16:45 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 27, 2006, 06:13:48 PM

Quote from: Hetz on December 27, 2006, 06:08:53 PM

I'm not sure what that number really tells us, though.  I mean, both systems were sold out in stores meaning they sold as many as they made.  Let's say the PS3 comes out with lower sales figures.  That just means that Sony made less of them than Microsoft made 360s last year.  If Microsoft has a lower sales figure, it is just because Microsoft made less 360s than Sony made PS3s.  I don't think those numbers will tell us anything meaningful other than which company made more units for their first Christmas.

Yeah but I think that figure is fairly interesting.  Sony has been panned left and right this season  for two things: 1) Supply, 2) Price.  If they managed to sell more (and thus have produced) more than MS at the price they were selling for, you'd have to consider this Christmas as a huge win for Sony.  If they didn't, then the critics were at least correct on the first item.

gellar
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 06:24:59 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 27, 2006, 06:16:45 PM

Yeah but I think that figure is fairly interesting.  Sony has been panned left and right this season  for two things: 1) Supply, 2) Price.  If they managed to sell more (and thus have produced) more than MS at the price they were selling for, you'd have to consider this Christmas as a huge win for Sony.  If they didn't, then the critics were at least correct on the first item.

gellar
But all that means is that Sony made more units.  Low supply is low supply.  We know these guys are going to sell out of these things if they hardly make any.  Let's say PS3 sold 300K more than 360 did last year.  Who's to say that the 360 wouldn't have sold that many units as well if they had actually made them?  More interesting to me, is how the 360 did this year compared to PS3, but even then, you are comparing something in huge supply with something in short supply and so the numbers don't mean much, unless, of course, PS3 sold more this month than the 360 did this month.  Now that would be interesting.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 06:28:59 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 27, 2006, 06:24:59 PM

gellar
But all that means is that Sony made more units.  Low supply is low supply.  We know these guys are going to sell out of these things if they hardly make any.  Let's say PS3 sold 300K more than 360 did last year.  Who's to say that the 360 wouldn't have sold that many units as well if they had actually made them?  More interesting to me, is how the 360 did this year compared to PS3, but even then, you are comparing something in huge supply with something in short supply and so the numbers don't mean much, unless, of course, PS3 sold more this month than the 360 did this month.  Now that would be interesting.

Yeah but again, many people point to the 360 launch last year as a much larger success than the PS3 launch this year.  If the PS3 launched and sold more, I'd say those folks are wrong.

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 06:32:55 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 27, 2006, 06:28:59 PM

Quote from: The Grue on December 27, 2006, 06:24:59 PM

gellar

Yeah but again, many people point to the 360 launch last year as a much larger success than the PS3 launch this year.  If the PS3 launched and sold more, I'd say those folks are wrong.

gellar

Exactly.  thumbsup

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 06:34:11 PM »

gellar

Yeah, I suppose so.  It is probably correct to say a launch is more successful if they managed to get more units out and sold them all.  That means that Wii will have the most successful launch of all three of them and I know there were plenty of people here saying the thing would be a flop.  It should be noted, though, that a good launch does not a successful system make.  That goes for the Wii as well.  It will be interesting to see next year's Christmas sales to see how things pan out.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 06:38:21 PM »

I think anyone who says the Wii's launch is nothing short of a MASSIVE success is bloody insane, really.

But I agree, good launch is not necessarily a good indicator of good future.

gellar
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 07:35:47 PM »

Yeah, I am pretty impressed with Sony and their ability to get these things into stores. Kudos to them on getting the shipments out to stores!

Oh come on Hetz, you know that is complete bullshit. I was in a GameStop the other day and a dude was returning a PS3 and asking if there were Wii's in stock (I swear I am not making this up). There were plenty of other people in line and I didn't see anyone jump at the chance to buy that PS3. The fanboys and scalpers did their part, now it's time to see how the rest of the market accepts the PS3.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 07:39:15 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 27, 2006, 07:35:47 PM

Yeah, I am pretty impressed with Sony and their ability to get these things into stores. Kudos to them on getting the shipments out to stores!

Oh come on Hetz, you know that is complete bullshit. I was in a GameStop the other day and a dude was returning a PS3 and asking if there were Wii's in stock (I swear I am not making this up). There were plenty of other people in line and I didn't see anyone jump at the chance to buy that PS3. The fanboys and scalpers did their part, now it's time to see how the rest of the market accepts the PS3.

Wow, that sort of thing must be happening EVERYWHERE.

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 07:40:55 PM »

I was wondering when you were going to show up in this thread, Ridah, and let us all know how the PS3 is failing miserably.  icon_lol

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2006, 07:41:27 PM »

No one ever said that, but it reflects what others have been saying about PS3's sitting in the stock room.

I was wondering when you were going to show up in this thread, Ridah, and let us all know how the PS3 is failing miserably.

Oh come on guys, stop putting words in my mouth  crybaby

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 07:43:11 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2006, 07:44:08 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 27, 2006, 07:41:27 PM

No one ever said that, but it reflects what others have been saying about PS3's sitting in the stock room.

Cite?  Source?

gellar
unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2006, 07:56:18 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 27, 2006, 07:39:15 PM

gellar

It happens enough that there have been several recent articles on it.  However... how many people got rid of their DS or PSP *right after* it was released?  So I think it factors in more to buyer's remorse and a weakness in the number of titles available more than a weakness in the platform... at least at this point.

BTW, did anyone watch "Game On" this weekend?  It was a documentary on the history of video games.  I found one part hilarious: they were discussing the 3DO, and cited one of the problems being that, even though it was years ahead of it's time, nobody wanted to pay $700 for something which, despite their claims of all the stuff it did, was primarily viewed as a game machine.

However... I will say that $700 in today's money is far less than it was then, and without even having said that, there are (now) likely far more people willing to pay that kind of money on something which primarily plays games.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2006, 08:08:27 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 27, 2006, 07:56:18 PM

It happens enough that there have been several recent articles on it.  However... how many people got rid of their DS or PSP *right after* it was released?  So I think it factors in more to buyer's remorse and a weakness in the number of titles available more than a weakness in the platform... at least at this point.

The *only* article I've read referenced Ebay sales, which just states that end users are not willing to pay more than retail off of an auction site.  I've seen anecdotes on web forums, but those hold as much weight for me as... well, nothing.  They mean nothing to me.

BTW, did anyone watch "Game On" this weekend?  It was a documentary on the history of video games.  I found one part hilarious: they were discussing the 3DO, and cited one of the problems being that, even though it was years ahead of it's time, nobody wanted to pay $700 for something which, despite their claims of all the stuff it did, was primarily viewed as a game machine.

However... I will say that $700 in today's money is far less than it was then, and without even having said that, there are (now) likely far more people willing to pay that kind of money on something which primarily plays games.

I did see that... I honestly don't remember a 3DO costing that much, so it was a surprise.  As you've stated though, $700 now is different than $700 then, and the PS3 is $500, not $700.

gellar
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2006, 08:25:37 PM »

There were 5 or 6 60gig systems in stock at my local Best Buy on 12/23.  I was VERY tempted to pick one up but decided to pass on it.

EDIT:  I just called them and they informed me that they sold the last 3 today.  So they are selling just fine, just not flying off the shelves AS quickly around here.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 08:33:52 PM by GatorFavre » Logged

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2006, 08:53:44 PM »

Hamilton Journal report on PS3 being returned to stores.

Yeah, I don't think it's widespread, but you didn't see this stuff last year.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2006, 10:12:32 PM »

gellar

I think alot of people point to the launch of the Titanic as a much larger success than the PS3 launch this year.

The PS3 has failed to generate any type of positive buzz.  Just about all of the news about the PS3 (backwards compatability, scaling, November shipping numbers, launch night uglyness, controllers bugging out, PS3's being infected with the ebola virus, etc), has turned the PS3 into a joke on gaming boards, and an overpriced movie player to alot of consumers.

I have seen alot more PS3's available for sale than Wiis. Either Sony is shipping PS3s in bunches, or people aren't flocking to stores to buy them.  I guess we'll find out in January when the numbers come out.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2006, 11:04:13 PM »

The PS3 has failed to generate any type of positive buzz.  Just about all of the news about the PS3 (backwards compatability, scaling, November shipping numbers, launch night uglyness, controllers bugging out, PS3's being infected with the ebola virus, etc), has turned the PS3 into a joke on gaming boards, and an overpriced movie player to alot of consumers.

Exaggerate much?  icon_smile

Come on. The only joke is how badly the xbox fans want the PS3 to fall flat on it's face. They exaggerate ANY bad ps3 news they even hear in passing (like low launch numbers) into OMG IT'S DOOMED and any positive news (Sony able to get more shipments to stores) as OMG THE SYSTEM IS STILL DOOMED!!!!   icon_lol

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2006, 11:06:06 PM »

the sad part is the more PS3s they sell the more  money Sony is losing where as I think I read somwhere the 360 premium package is already turning a small profit.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2006, 11:31:41 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 27, 2006, 11:04:13 PM

Come on. The only joke is how badly the xbox fans want the PS3 to fall flat on it's face. They exaggerate ANY bad ps3 news they even hear in passing (like low launch numbers) into OMG IT'S DOOMED and any positive news (Sony able to get more shipments to stores) as OMG THE SYSTEM IS STILL DOOMED!!!!   icon_lol

I dont think it is exaggerated at all.  A lot of main stream publications have had a lot of negative press for the PS3, it is just a cold hard fact that there is a lot of negative buzz.  Of course I'm sure all the workers at places like the New York Times or Time Magazine are simply just Xbox fanboys.  By the way, saying Xbox fans want the PS3 to flop is a stupid, stupid, STUPID generalization. 

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2006, 11:41:20 PM »

I completely missed the point of Hetz's post.

Yes. Yes you did.

Oh and:

Quote from: ATB
These threads are getting old.

Yes. Yes they are. Is the official GT cooling off period over yet?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2006, 11:47:20 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 27, 2006, 11:41:20 PM

Quote from: ATB
These threads are getting old.

Yes. Yes they are. Is the official GT cooling off period over yet?

Your mother.

gellar
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2006, 11:57:02 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 27, 2006, 10:12:32 PM

gellar

I think alot of people point to the launch of the Titanic as a much larger success than the PS3 launch this year.

I have seen alot more PS3's available for sale than Wiis. Either Sony is shipping PS3s in bunches, or people aren't flocking to stores to buy them.  I guess we'll find out in January when the numbers come out.

Well technically, if you compare it to the price of a standalone Blueray player it's actually an underpriced movie player.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2006, 11:59:21 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 27, 2006, 11:04:13 PM

I forgot about the Time Magazine and New York Times stories in my earlier post.  And as further evidence of the PS3's floppage I cite myself.

I will buy any shiny electronic gizmo that comes down the pike.  I actually own a Zune. I still think the Wii is a gimmick, yet somehow I own one.  I have purchased the PSP, DS, DS Lite, GBA SP, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Zune, and IPod Video all on launch day. 

Yet I have walked by available PS3s a couple of times in the last month and felt only a passing urge to buy one.  I want to want one. 

I rip all consoles at one point or another, yet I still buy them.  The PS3 is the first console that I honestly don't want.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 12:02:24 AM by denoginizer » Logged

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2006, 12:01:17 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 27, 2006, 11:57:02 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on December 27, 2006, 10:12:32 PM

gellar

Well technically, if you compare it to the price of a standalone Blueray player it's actually an underpriced movie player.

That's the standalone Bluray players' fault.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 12:05:30 AM by denoginizer » Logged

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2006, 12:03:11 AM »

Is there any argument that this time last year the 360 was flying off the shelves much faster than the PS3 can?

I've seen a few PS3's here and there, EB had a couple more the other day and had a BIG line, but everyone was waiting for the Wii.. while nobody was buying the PS3's.
This time last year, even into the early new year, 360's were being picked up before they could even make it to the shelves. I think i got my first one around April, and even then, they were still selling like hot cakes.

And I DO want a PS3, the trouble is, I'm not willing to spend $600 on one. Sony effectively put the PS3 out of the every day 'average joe's' reach.  

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: