http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:51:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS2 vs PSP  (Read 1657 times)
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2011, 05:57:01 PM »

Yeah, you read that title right.

Someone is going to get me a Christmas gift.  These are my two options - a PSP, or a Playstation 2 (yes, that's a '2'.)  The thing is, I haven't owned a Sony system of any sort since the PS1 toward the end of the last century.  That means that any games I get for either will be new to me.  Not only that, but they've been around long enough that used games can be had for a pittance (especially for the PS2.)  Either option would give me a gaming option when the kids take over the living room every evening for their own gaming time, which is what I'm looking for.

The PS2 would go in my bedroom, and the TV in there isn't HD anyway, so that wouldn't be a factor.  The PS1 compatibility would be nice, too.

I don't have any sort of a portable system, which would make the PSP nice, and I do have wireless, but I don't travel much.  The PSP would be used almost exclusively inside the house, mere feet from where the PS2 would be hooked up, so the portability isn't a huge deal (nice, but not huge.)

So, is there any particular reason that I should absolutely choose one over the other?

Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »

While the PS2 has been gone a long time, the PSP is going away soon and it will probably be a lot easier to find tons of cheap games for the PS2 because it was more popular.

There are sooooooooo many good games for the PS2, I would definitely say go that way.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »

That would be a tough call for me, as there are a ton of remarkable games available for both systems.  I'd maybe check out the top ranked games for each system (PS2 is here, PSP is here) and see what turns your crank.

If you're an RPG fan (especially JRPG), you're in a for an ridiculous amount of absolutely incredible gaming.  

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »

Too bad you couldn't hold off another two months for the PSP Vita.

I'd say go with the PSP, mainly because there are still active online game communities, and any games you buy digitally will be backwards compatible with the Vita when it's released.

Even the original SOCOM for PSP - going on 8 years old, still has people playing online.

Since the PSP has built-in wifi and you have wireless, you can get on the Playstation store to check out new trailers, movies, games, and so on.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 06:37:42 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 09, 2011, 06:17:40 PM

If you're an RPG fan (especially JRPG), you're in a for an ridiculous amount of absolutely incredible gaming.  

I am.  Other than XIII (which I finished on the 360 last week), I haven't seen a Final Fantasy since 7.  I miss them.

Quote from: corruptrelic on December 09, 2011, 06:34:22 PM

Too bad you couldn't hold off another two months for the PSP Vita.

I saw the Vita, but it is double the price of the PSP, and much, much higher than the PS2 (which is $99 new right now.)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on December 09, 2011, 06:37:42 PM

Quote from: Gratch on December 09, 2011, 06:17:40 PM

I am.  Other than XIII (which I finished on the 360 last week), I haven't seen a Final Fantasy since 7.  I miss them.

FF XII is one of the finest RPG's ever created, and I thoroughly enjoyed FF X as well.  Hit me up if you do get a PS2...I'd be happy to donate my FFXII to a good home.  smile  The first two Shadow Hearts games were also superb, as were the first and third Xenosaga titles, and the Baldur's Gate games were very fun hack-n-slash'ers.  There's also a ton of RPG's that I wasn't personally crazy about, but are very popular:  Dragon Quest VIII, Suikoden III & IV, the Persona/Shin Megami Tensei games, Champions of Norrath, Kingdom Hearts, Rogue Galaxy, Star Ocean, Dark Cloud 2, the .hack series...the list goes on and on.

PSP is no slouch in the RPG department either.  FF Tactics: War of the Lions is probably my favorite game of all time, and the PSP port is absolutely brilliant.  There are also portable versions of all the Persona games, FF VII:  Crisis Core (a must-play if you enjoyed FFVII), Jeanne D'Arc, Brave Story, Trails in the Sky, Valkyria Chronicles II, Crimson Gem Saga, a boatload of Nippon Ichi titles (if those are your thing), Monster Hunter, Y's, etc., etc.  In addition, you can download all the classic PS1 RPG's for $5-10 each.  FF 5 through 9, Xenosaga, Chrono Trigger, Vagrant Story, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, and a bunch more.

The only reason I might lean towards the PSP is because the games might be easier to find, since many of them are available via download from the PSN store.  I imagine the only way you could get some of the PS2 titles is through E-bay, and I have no idea how crazy the prices are. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 08:24:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 09, 2011, 08:14:02 PM

The only reason I might lean towards the PSP is because the games might be easier to find, since many of them are available via download from the PSN store.  I imagine the only way you could get some of the PS2 titles is through E-bay, and I have no idea how crazy the prices are. 

Amazon.  I have prime, and used titles are anywhere from $0.01 up to $15, depending (and obviously not counting the occasional titles that, for whatever reason, sell for $150.)
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 08:33:49 PM »

If you don't need it to be portable then go with the PS2.  Many more games and cheaper.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 09:52:12 PM »

Well, alrighty.  It sounds to me like the PS2 is a hands-down winner on this.  Thanks for all the input.  Time to make it happen.  Adding a memory card and spare controller to the list.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:58:27 PM by Blackhawk » Logged
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 02:53:20 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 09, 2011, 08:14:02 PM

FF XII is one of the finest RPG's ever created, and I thoroughly enjoyed FF X as well.  Hit me up if you do get a PS2...I'd be happy to donate my FFXII to a good home.  smile  The first two Shadow Hearts games were also superb, as were the first and third Xenosaga titles, and the Baldur's Gate games were very fun hack-n-slash'ers.  There's also a ton of RPG's that I wasn't personally crazy about, but are very popular:  Dragon Quest VIII, Suikoden III & IV, the Persona/Shin Megami Tensei games, Champions of Norrath, Kingdom Hearts, Rogue Galaxy, Star Ocean, Dark Cloud 2, the .hack series...the list goes on and on.

Thanks for the list - I've used it as a starting point for researching available games.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 05:25:00 AM »

If I were a character on the science fiction series Sliders, I would spend every episode convincing alternate-reality versions of myself to buy PlayStation 2s for the sake of Persona 3 and 4.

Also, I'd be best friends with Sabrina Lloyd and John Rhys-Davies, and instead of Jerry O'Connell, we'd have Cleavant Derricks' twin brother for twice the Rembrandt Brown.

-Autistic Angel
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 05:44:52 PM »

Well, I done did it.  The PS2 arrived today.  I gazed at it longingly, then put it in the closet to be wrapped and put under the tree, where it shall tease me for the next couple of weeks.  Still, I can spend that time finishing research on games and picking out a couple to keep it company under there.

So, thanks for all the advice. 
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 09:47:51 PM »

Logitech Wireless PS2 controllers are $15 used at Gamestop and well worth the money. 

Dragon Quest VIII is also worth every penny. 

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »

Quote from: Qbe on December 13, 2011, 09:47:51 PM

Dragon Quest VIII is also worth every penny. 

Yep.  That's on my short list, along with Persona 3, Persona 4, and Final Fantasy X.  Possibly Ico.  Shadow of the Colossus and Okami are already on order.

I'll look into the wireless controllers down the road after I have a handful of games on hand.  I'm a little cautious, as I had enough issues with them on the original XBox that I quit using them on that system (nasty input lag.)
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »

buy The Mark of Kri - one of the best games of all time. If Dob Bluth made Conan the Barbarian, it would be this game
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »

Yeah, Mark of Kri is awesome, and there's never really been any other game like it.

Actually now that I think about it, Batman Arkham Asylum/City are probably the closest things gameplay-wise, with the alternating between one on many combat and stealth segments.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 11:27:48 PM »

Interesting timing, as Amazon warehouse deals has this for $3.44 shipped today.  Thanks!
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 11:33:55 PM »

Link?  All I could find was $7.99 + $3.99 shipping.  icon_frown

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 11:43:08 PM »

Well, that's 'used - like new', and the shipping came from Prime, but here.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 11:46:51 PM »

Ah, thanks... didn't check the used deals.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 01:48:44 AM »

Some PS2 games I remember enjoying;

Shadow of the Colossus
R.A.D.
GrimGrimoire
Kingdom Hearts I & II
SSX Tricky & III
God Hand
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
We  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. Katamari
War of the Monsters
Culdcept
Onimusha III
Gladius
Odin Sphere

I can expand on some of them later.  I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 03:45:02 AM »

Thanks.  I'll read up on those.  I really did miss a lot of good games!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: