http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 09:19:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS2 Shortage: Grrrr.....  (Read 3089 times)
sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2004, 05:50:22 AM »

So, on a whim today I decide to get my daughter a PS2 for Christmas. Her favorite game genre is RPG's, and there's just not that a great selection of RPG's on X-box and Cube (both of which we already have). She's getting straight-A's this year. She deserves it.

So, I hop in my car and swing down to the mall, only to discover that there is apparently a shortage of PS2's and they are literally sold out of everywhere. The new slimline models are being sold on E-bay for upwards of $250 ... for a game system that is now what ... 4 years old? Are people who already have a PS2 depseraete to get the new slimline model, or is there really that many people who don't have a PS2 but want one?

I found a news article that seems to indicate there will be a chance for more stock later in the month. Does anyone who works at a game store or some-such have any insight into what my chances are here?

I could buy a refurbished PS2 (the older model), but I'm a little worried about dependability.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 05:56:14 AM »

I noticed they were sold out here as well. I was just curious about what sold out and I was impressed to find out they had. Of course, as had the gcn and xbox. Which shocked me as well. This is just walmart though.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 06:01:16 AM »

Yeah its been recently publicized that there is currently a shortage of PSTwo's.  Evidently Sony underestimated the demand for the new slimline model.  One of the reasons their PSP launch in Japan will be so small is so they can devote more manufacturing resources for the PSTwo.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 06:08:14 AM »

Word is that they're having manufacturing problems with the new systems.  I don't buy that they underestimated demand, because that would imply that the normal supply were coming through, instead of the larger, "high demand" numbers.  Instead, there flat out aren't any to be had.  My store's gotten in about 30 of the slim systems total since launch.  Even during the middle of the summer, 30 systems in two months is hardly anything.

Of course, the other part of the problem is that of those 30 systems, 5 were defective out of the box and had to be exchanged.  Go Sony.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 06:32:24 AM »

I love my slim PS2, it's so cool. Totally worth the $50 I paid for it biggrin
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 02:59:08 PM »

I heard that they are trying to get out of manufacturing the older systems and updating everything to make the new ones or something like that.  Yeah, later this month they hope to get em out..  Here is one article about it I read:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/30/news_6114197.html
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 03:11:41 PM »

Anyone else get the feeling this is 2000 all over again?  Many analysts say in 2000 that Sony created artificial demand by holding back the amount of PS2s that got into the market in order to garner more interest for a person to "have to have a PS2" and going to any lengths to get it.

I have a feeling things are much the same this go-around.  I doubt Sony underestimated the number of systems it would need for Christmas, instead they are creating artificial demand again.  Everyone wants one, no one can get one.  In the end all it does is piss off the consumer, however Sony may get the sales they want ultimately.

Honestly they should have kept the dual system channels going (the last big-size PS2 with Network Adapter built in as well as the new, small PS2) in order to reach the demand during Christmas.

I know a few people with broken PS2s that would like to get a new one and can't because of the shortage.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 03:13:29 PM »

They actually stopped making the bigger models late in the summer in order to sell down stock.  The problem with that is that it means they've been in short supply since then.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 03:35:43 PM »

The real question is, why would anyone still want a ps2 when it's been proven that the XBOX is clearly superior?   :wink:
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 04:21:16 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Anyone else get the feeling this is 2000 all over again?  Many analysts say in 2000 that Sony created artificial demand by holding back the amount of PS2s that got into the market in order to garner more interest for a person to "have to have a PS2" and going to any lengths to get it.

I have a feeling things are much the same this go-around.  I doubt Sony underestimated the number of systems it would need for Christmas, instead they are creating artificial demand again.  Everyone wants one, no one can get one.  In the end all it does is piss off the consumer, however Sony may get the sales they want ultimately.

Nah, I don't think they are deliberately limiting quantities- it does them no good now.  Every time a customer is turned away from getting a PS2 it makes it that much more likely they are going to go home with an Xbox.  Limiting quantities makes sense early in a consoles life- it does create an artificial feeling of "demand" but it also limits losses early in a consoles life when they are losing money on manufacturing.  Sony has acknowledged this on their PSP production- one of the reasons the launch quantities are so limited is the amount of money they are losing per PSP.  Later manufacturing costs for the PSP will decrease and Sony can afford to ramp up production.  

This is the cash cow time of the consoles life- the MSRP is cheap enough that they can really capture a whole new audience and demographic that held off when the console cost $200-300.  Sony has done
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 05:13:56 PM »

It would make no sense for them to create an artificial shortage as right now the PSTwo is making them profit. According to an article I read (that I cannot find for the life of me) they make a significant profit for each PSTwo sale and that is why they halted PSP production. Sony overall is not doing all that well financially and the Playstation division is their saving grace.

How does this work again?
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 05:44:37 PM »

I'd say look around. Was in Walmart on Tuesday and they had a sign about shortages on Xbox's and PS2's, but the previous night when I was in Gamestop(looking for WoW which they were out of) they had Ps2's and Xboxs stacked behind the counter.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 07:20:45 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
The real question is, why would anyone still want a ps2 when it's been proven that the XBOX is clearly superior?   :wink:

Very funny.

Then again, I did just but Katamari Damacy for PS2....

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 05:57:30 AM »

OK I found the article I was referencing here.

They've also thrown up another article discussing the issue here.

sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 10:19:04 PM »

Gamestop emailed me that they will recieve another shipment of PS2's on Monday. I am not sure if it will be enough to fufill backorders as well as new orders, but if anyone is considering going to ebay to try to find one I'd say you are better of waiting a few days and seeing how the retail stock pans out.

Unfortunately, I was a schmuck and payed $200 for one on ebay, just so I didn't have to stress over whether or not I'd have a console to go with the games I already bought.

sigh. Live and learn.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2004, 12:12:53 AM »

I was just at Costco and there was about 20 of them. Might want to check there. Good luck!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2004, 03:40:45 AM »

Big stack at my local EB.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 03:53:30 PM »

Because with the ps2, you don't have need a credit card and you don't have to pay monthly fees just to play your game online, unlike the Xbox that milks it's customers anyway they can to get money.
Plus Sony has already officially announced the ps3 will be backwards compatible. So all those games you pay $50 for, are still good next generation.
Can you say the same for Xbox? Sure it has better graphics, but it's games still cost the same.. 4 games (at least newer ones) cost you $200+, with the Xbox 2 maybe a year away, what if it doesn't even support the last generation?

IMO, those two reasons alone make the playstation 2 better than the Xbox. (And I easily admit the Xbox has better graphics, but other than that, I don't see any reason supporting it.)

On to the main topic though - I have to admit I cashed in on the shortages on Ebay. I listed one ps2 on Ebay and it sold for $390.00! Just a new ps2 (the slim one) by itself, no extras.. and it ended at a $390 bid.
Then I sold a few more hoping they'd go as high, but most only sold for about $220. (Only, right?)
Dont know what it is about Ebay.. are people just stupid? I've bought games for cheaper in stores, played them a few times, and sold them for MORE than what I paid for.. and they were preowned.

While there is a shortage, it's not impossible to find new ps2s. I took the nearest 15 gamestops in my are and called all of them. The first 6 said they were out, and the 7th one said they had a few left. Rushed out there and got the last two.
Usually it's the gamestop that's out in the middle of nowhere that doesn't get much business that has ps2s in stock. The ones in the major malls (like sawgrass mall in south florida) seem to sell out before they even get them. There's a huge waiting list on the reserves.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2004, 04:05:28 PM »

Because with the ps2, you don't have need a credit card and you don't have to pay monthly fees just to play your game online, unlike the Xbox that milks it's customers anyway they can to get money.

Yeah, Sony would never charge for online adapters, essential memory cards or hard drives or for that matter abandon the people they charged $100 for the HD by cutting it out entirely.  :roll:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2004, 04:35:44 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"

Yeah, Sony would never charge for online adapters, essential memory cards or hard drives or for that matter abandon the people they charged $100 for the HD by cutting it out entirely.  :roll:

And of course you forgot to mention that most new Live games come with at least a free month of Live.  Halo2 came with 2 months.  I buy a new Xbox game every couple of months and have yet to actully pay to play on Live...shrug.  Even better i've rented games that still had the free month coupons in them...twice!

morlac00 on PSN
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2004, 06:19:12 PM »

Doesn't the network adapter come standard with the new PS2's? And the HD is only used for one game, isn't it?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2004, 06:26:02 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Doesn't the network adapter come standard with the new PS2's?

Now it does.  For those of us that bought PS2s between 2000 and last year, it's another $50.

And the HD is only used for one game, isn't it?

NOW it is - since they've chopped it from the PSTwo, you can be sure no one else will support it.  :evil:  I'm betting a lot of people were willing to shell out the $$$ for FFXI because they thought the hardware would be used more in the future.  Sony to consumers:  PSYCHE!!!11
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2004, 08:27:54 PM »

Tell you what: if you'll point me to the Xbox emulator which will let me play Katamari Damacy, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X / X-2 / XII, Jak, Ratchet & Clank, Gran Tourismo, Devil May Cry, and everythine else in the PS2's exclusive library, I'll give you a cut of what I make off of eBaying my PS2...

Cool
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2004, 06:04:19 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"

Tell that to the folks that bought FFXI for their PS2s :wink:

XBox Live is a closed network while honestly I do not believe that Sony even has an infrastructure setup for that. Sure it's technically "free" but the online capablities and experience vary much more wildly than using XBox Live. Yes it's about $5 a month extra but with it strictly being on broadband the experience I'd say is much better.

croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2004, 06:20:48 PM »

Quote from: "unbongwah"

Tell you what: if you'll point me to the Xbox emulator which will let me play Katamari Damacy, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X / X-2 / XII, Jak, Ratchet & Clank, Gran Tourismo, Devil May Cry, and everythine else in the PS2's exclusive library, I'll give you a cut of what I make off of eBaying my PS2...

Cool

Every console has exclusives..

Now point me to something that shows me how I can play MAME along with the 2000+ games on the PS2 (on my big screen), Genesis, Atari, Super Nintendo, Nintendo..  Stream to my MP3 library on my server, etc..

Then I will say that the PS2 is better.   That is not likely to happen however smile

Btw, do not even get me going on the whole memory card thing.. grrr..
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2004, 06:28:43 PM »

Quote from: "croman"

Cool

Now point me to something that shows me how I can play MAME along with the 2000+ games on the PS2 (on my big screen), Genesis, Atari, Super Nintendo, Nintendo..  Stream to my MP3 library on my server, etc..

Then I will say that the PS2 is better.   That is not likely to happen however smile

Do you realize that all of those activities require a mod chip? And do you realize that a mod chip = no XBox Live for you? I wouldn't exactly use those uhm, "features" in a debate about which console is better.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2004, 05:16:21 PM »

Just picked me one up from KMart. They just got a shipment of seven thismorning. I briefly thougt about buying a few of them and ebaying them, but I decided I just didn't want to deal with the hassle.

-Tony
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2004, 06:16:36 PM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
Quote from: "croman"

Cool

Do you realize that all of those activities require a mod chip? And do you realize that a mod chip = no XBox Live for you? I wouldn't exactly use those uhm, "features" in a debate about which console is better.

Most chips allow you to also install a switch which will disable the mod chip for Xbox live use...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2004, 06:59:54 PM »

....and newer Xbox Live games have detection systems that will ban your Xbox permanently the second a mod chip is detected, regardless of whether it is on Live or not.  (store and forward)  I'd not take the risk if I were you....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
blindgeek
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2004, 07:11:08 PM »

Katamari Damacy is the only reason I would by a PS2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: