http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 10:45:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS2 RPG suggestions  (Read 2423 times)
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2004, 12:23:02 AM »

Hi There,

I'm in the process of getting my grubby hands on a new PS2.  I've played Final Fantasy X and have just ordred Xenosaga.  Any other must have titles?

--Hamlet
archipelago
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 02:44:20 AM »

If you like more action orientated RPGs, I'd suggest Dark Cloud 2.
The best word I can think of to describe it is "charming."
Beautiful graphics, a tonne of side things to do, and just fun to play.
The town building aspects are pretty great as well!

the artist previously known as Adumir
STILL resident Kielslowski and Jennifer Jason Leigh obsessive
"Obviously, I need more Merlot..."
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 02:57:36 AM »

Star Ocean 3. I personally loved the game and reviewed it over here, if you're curious as to how much I liked it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 03:13:02 AM »

I am loving Shadow Hearts: Covenant right now.  The best thing (in my opinion) the game has jokes!!  I am so sick of overly serious/dark games.  This game has points where I have actually laughed out loud.  It has been a long time since a console game has made me laugh.

Everything else is wonderful about the game too.  

Check this forum for some good posts about the game.

Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 03:17:42 AM »

Nice review--that's definitely on my list now.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 03:36:02 AM »

For a recent game, I'll second Shadow Hearts:  Covenant.  A couple minor nit-picks aside, it is overall a fantastic game.  I'm about 20 hours in, and am completely hooked.  The oriiginal Shadow Hearts is also a greast RPG.

If you've got FFX and Xenosaga, you've already got 2 of the best.  Xenosaga is one of my personal favorites, and I can't wait for the second installment to arrive.

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 03:49:36 AM »

Wild Arms 3 is both fun and cheap.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 04:03:40 AM »

-Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter :  Bizarre RPG whereby you're more or less doomed to failure--but lose, and you can restart the game with much of what you'd earned before hand.  A cyclic and mesmorizing experience that ties directly into the disturbing and beautiful storyline.

-Shadow Hearts :  Think of a Lovecraftian Final Fantasy set at the beginning of World War 1, and you've got Shadow Hearts.  Contend with secret cults, daemons, and your characters' own sanity as you race to prevent a horrible cataclysm.

-Shadow Hearts: Covenant :  The brilliant sequal to Shadow Hearts.  Humorous at times, disturbingly serious at others.  Begins at the end of the first game, so if you're into orderly gameplay, play Shadow Hearts first.

-Phantom Brave  :  Nippon Ichi's latest and greatest strategy-RPG.  Addictive, deep beyond words and amazingly customizable.  Thankfully the official strategy guide from Double Jump kicks ass... grab this if you enjoyed games like Final Fantasy: Tactics.

-Disgaea: Hour of Darkness  :  Nippon Ichi's first SRPG (strategy RPG) released in the states.  More traditional than Phantom Brave, but still deep beyond comprehension.  Disgaea and Phantom Brave could literally have hundreds of hours of gameplay in them if you're a completist.  Note that Disgaea is fairly rare, though.

-Summoner 2  :  Sure, the story doesn't make alot of sense, but there's a ton of gameplay to be had here in a vibrant, but not cartoony world.  More 'actiony' than most RPGs, but still more than world the $20 or less it costs nowadays.

I'll post if I remember more.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 04:32:14 AM »

Yo Ebonstone-
Have you actually played the first Shadow Hearts? Wondering if I should play that one first since I am pretty sure I want to get Covenant-looking for your input on that one.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 04:40:27 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Yo Ebonstone-
Have you actually played the first Shadow Hearts? Wondering if I should play that one first since I am pretty sure I want to get Covenant-looking for your input on that one.
I've played some of it.  To be honest, I was naughty and started Covenant first, so I'll probably finish it before going back to the first one.

I do have two copies of the original Shadow Hearts, though--one is actually still sealed (it was the promo copy I got with my Covenant preorder deal).  If you're still looking for a copy of the first game, perhaps we could work a trade out or something?  PM/Email me if interested.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 04:46:14 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Yo Ebonstone-
I've played some of it.  To be honest, I was naughty and started Covenant first, so I'll probably finish it before going back to the first one.

I do have two copies of the original Shadow Hearts, though--one is actually still sealed (it was the promo copy I got with my Covenant preorder deal).  If you're still looking for a copy of the first game, perhaps we could work a trade out or something?  PM/Email me if interested.

If Rage doesn't snag your copy let me know.  I'd be interested once Mr. Paycheck arrives.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 04:52:51 AM »

I highly recommend Shadow Hearts Covenant.  I finished it up today after about 45 hours and was just thoroughly impressed.  Definately one of my favorite RPGs now, hands down.  If you like FFX it's somewhat like that in its sort of "style."  Hard to explain, but yeah, really recommend it.  I played about 5 hours of the original but then went through and played Covenant.

As far as others, I've had fun with Star Ocean as well.  Breath of Fire - Dragon Quarter was definately different, but pretty fun as well.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 11:26:29 AM »

Yo Ebonstone-

Playing through the first game helps, but isn't necessary.  There are a few things that take on a much deeper meaning if you've played the original, but nothing that would cause you to become completely lost.

BTW, I have an extra copy of the original as well if somebody is interested.  Just let me know...

Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 03:26:11 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions!  Another random question:  is there any particular reason that the PS2 has so many more RPS than other consoles?  Things seem kind of skewed.  :wink:
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 04:16:18 PM »

Quote from: "Hamlet3145"
Thanks for all the suggestions!  Another random question:  is there any particular reason that the PS2 has so many more RPS than other consoles?  Things seem kind of skewed.  :wink:

Yes, it is a better console. smile

Seriously it probably has to do with the fact that Sony has a much deeper market in Japan than MS and many/most of the RPGs listed are from Japaness companies.  So naturally they want to program on a system which will sell well in their own country.

Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 04:56:52 PM »

Hammy, if you're interested in Dark Cloud 2 shoot me a PM here or at the Wanderers site.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 06:00:59 PM »

Another vote for Shadow Hearts 2.

olaf

edit: SMT:Nocturne looks cool too, and that is out in a couple of days.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: