http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 01:57:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS2 rpg's  (Read 1174 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2006, 07:42:41 PM »

Well i'm really enjoying Guitar Hero and MLB The Show with my new ps2, but i'm struggling to find something in a different genre.  I picked up Resident Evil 4 and played it a couple days before i returned it because i hated the controls.  I then grabbed Valkyrie Profile 2, but after a couple days i'm really disliking it as well.

I was wanting something along the rpg/adventure type game, but i just don't know where to turn.  I should have known better than to try RE4 because i hate trying to aim with the gamepad in consoles.  I've been so use to the mouse and keyboard i just cant get use to a gamepad.  With Valkyrie Profile 2, it's just too darn complicated to me.  I know that might sound crazy for some, but the time i spent with it all i was doing was mashing buttons without regards for any reason.  I should have known too because tb style games are something i've never enjoyed. 

So i'm needing some advice.  I love anime and at my local game store this morning there must have been a couple dozen different games i've never even heard of that sounded neat.  However, i just dont want anything too complicated or where i have to target or aim with my gamepad.  I was interested in rpg's or something adventure related, but i'm overwhelmed.  I went with Valkyrie Profile because it was new and it looked really cool.  I almost picked up a couple anime style games, but i had no idea what they even where.

So can i get some recommendations on some rpg/adventure style games where the controls are easy and the combat system is rather simplified?  With my limited playing time as it is, i dont want to have to play something for 4 to 5 hours just to get the hang of it.  I want something easy and fun right out of the box.  There anything like that out there?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 07:46:55 PM »

How about Wild Arms 4?  Nothing too deep but it's pleasant enough, battle system is straight forward but with a few interesting wrinkles, and it's only about 25 hours or so, which is darn short by RPG standards.

Final Fantasy X too.  The only hesitation I would have is that it's a good 50 hours long or so, but the game (as all Final Fantasy's do) really eases you into all of the different systems on a gradual basis.  I think it's a game that even a complete RPG neophyte could start with. 
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 07:49:37 PM »

I'm ok with something long....as long as it keeps me interested and it has a good story.  The main thing i'm wanting is control and gameplay friendly.  Actually something with a good intriguing story would be welcomed.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 07:50:34 PM »

Wild Arms 4 is quite a good game - easy to get into, easy battle system, quite pretty.  I really enjoyed my time with it.

FFX is a good RPG in that it's not overly complicated, has pretty graphics, and a nice battle system.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 07:51:54 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on October 10, 2006, 07:49:37 PM

I'm ok with something long....as long as it keeps me interested and it has a good story.  The main thing i'm wanting is control and gameplay friendly.  Actually something with a good intriguing story would be welcomed.

Final Fantasy X should definitely be your first stop then. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 08:19:45 PM »

I would recommend Shadow Hearts: Covenant to you too.  It's turn-based, but the "judgement ring" gameplay mechanic is a lot of fun!  It stayed fresh for me through the three games.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 08:25:34 PM »

I thought about Covenant but:

1) The Judgement Ring mechanics are a nice addition to regular turn based battles, but it also might be a bit much if the goal is to start simple.

2) It's a slow starter- first four or five hours aren't necessarily that interesting. 

3) I know some disagree, but I really feel that the first game should be played if at all possible before starting with Covenant.  And while SH1 is a real gem, it's not something I would recommend right off to someone relatively new to the genre. 
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 08:37:50 PM »

You know i had FFX in my hands this morning and went with Valkyrie Profile 2 instead.  IS FFX turn based or real time?  I'm also seeing there is a FFX and FFX-2, correct?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 08:39:04 PM »

Turn based.  Real time would be a whole set of different recommendations.  FFX-2 is a sort of bizarre, complicated tale.  Stick with FFX for now.  If you really like it, we can talk FFX-2 later. 
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 08:47:28 PM »

out of curiosity, gimme some real time suggestions.  i'm interested in FFX though, but what else you thinking?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 08:56:05 PM »

Real time is a bit tougher.  I loved Star Ocean 3 but that one is one of the worst "slow starters" I've ever played.  Dark Cloud 2 but it's not very story heavy.  Then there are the Tales games.  The most recent (and supposedly the best) in the series, Tales of the Abyss, release tomorrow.  There is also Tales of Legendia, released earlier this year, but it's not supposed to be very good so best avoid that one. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 09:04:58 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on October 10, 2006, 08:37:50 PM

I'm also seeing there is a FFX and FFX-2, correct?

No, there is only FFX.  Most of us prefer to think that FFX-2 never existed.   icon_wink

Yes, FFX is turn based.  It is also a wonderful game that I would highly recommend to anyone.  A fantastic story, compelling (if a bit whiney) characters, a fun battle system, and amazing (for the time) graphics & music.  A big  thumbsup, and it would be a shame if you missed it.

FFX-2, on the other hand, is one of the most horrible creations ever to disgrace the PS2.  I would not wish that game on my worst enemy.   They took great a great game, filtered it through a 12-year-old girl's brain (i.e.:  "Those robes are boring, Yuna would look so much better in hot pants and boots!", "Oooh, let's add a Britney Spears intro complete with cheezy J-Pop song and dancers!", "How totally bitchin would it be if the main battle mechanic revolved around changing outfits?  That would, like, totally appeal to the target market of FFX!"), and shat out the results.  I know there's a few who like it around here, but I hated absolutely everything about FFX-2.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 09:05:47 PM »

FFX is a waste of time. You'll never get those 40-50 hours of your life back, and you'll want them!
It is a pretty childish story, in my opinion, though it takes itself VERY seriously.

I'd suggest Dragon Quest 8. That's long and has very friendly gameplay (besides the first dungeon, which you'll beat in under 1.5 hours). Otherwise... maybe you can even try FF7 or one of the Shin Megami Tensei games.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 09:17:31 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on October 10, 2006, 09:05:47 PM

FFX is a waste of time. You'll never get those 40-50 hours of your life back, and you'll want them!
It is a pretty childish story, in my opinion, though it takes itself VERY seriously.

I'd suggest Dragon Quest 8. That's long and has very friendly gameplay (besides the first dungeon, which you'll beat in under 1.5 hours). Otherwise... maybe you can even try FF7 or one of the Shin Megami Tensei games.

SMT  games are way too complicated for what he's asking for IMO. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 09:24:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 10, 2006, 09:17:31 PM

Quote from: Eduardo X on October 10, 2006, 09:05:47 PM

SMT  games are way too complicated for what he's asking for IMO. 
Yeah, I would have recommended any/all SMT games but they're quite complicated and, really, time-dumps.  You need to play a lot and become familiar with demon fusing, press turns, etc.  Doesn't sound like Xmann wants to do that!

Real time RPGs . . . Star Ocean 3 is an incredibly slow starter.  Rogue Galaxy (not out yet) might be something you could look forward to in terms of a real time battle system.  I don't know, that's all I got in terms of real time RPGs.  Devil Summoner tomorrow, but demon fusing and random encounters practically everywhere might not be up your alley.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 09:32:56 PM »

Good points about SMT games. They do feel overwhelming at times, but I still really enjoy them for the crazy stories.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 09:33:15 PM »

hmm, now this is exactly the issue i'm having to deal with.  there are a ton of things out there but it seems like only a small bit of what interests a "newbie" and someone with limited time.

maybe i should look into some platformer type games.  anything out there with some good stories?  i guess now that i think of it, i'm really wanting something with some story and character thats user friendly, regardless of genre.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 09:56:14 PM »

In that case, maybe look into the Sly Cooper series.  Fun little games with lots of personality.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 10:12:28 PM »

I'll second Wild ARMs 4 - it's an RPG with pretty heavy platformer elements.  It's also pretty simple as far as gameplay goes, and the story and characters have been good so far.  Jak 2 and 3 are platformers with good stories, but are quite difficult.  Dragon Quest 8 and FFX are both easy to get into and are fantastic games.  DQ8 has better gameplay, but FFX has a much better story.  Also, if you're intrigued by Covenant, I'd recommend trying Shadow Hearts : From the New World.  It has similar gameplay, but is somewhat less serious and simplified over Covenant.  Also, it doesn't have much connection to the earlier games, so you wouldn't have to play SH1 first.  If you like it, then you can go back and play the other two.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 10:59:50 PM »

Due,

Quote from: Xmann on October 10, 2006, 09:33:15 PM

hmm, now this is exactly the issue i'm having to deal with.  there are a ton of things out there but it seems like only a small bit of what interests a "newbie" and someone with limited time.

maybe i should look into some platformer type games.  anything out there with some good stories?  i guess now that i think of it, i'm really wanting something with some story and character thats user friendly, regardless of genre.

Dude, Final Fantasy X, seriously.  Sounds exactly what you are looking for.  Once you've got that under your belt (and assuming you like it of course), it will be much easier to branch into a lot of these more different (and sometimes more complex) games. 

As for platformers- the Jak games have a good story but that doesn't really kick in until Jak 2 which is often punishingly difficult (I loved it anyway).  Sly Cooper is awesome and has great characters and a good story.  Ratchet & Clank isn't too bad from a story standpoint either and the gameplay is fantastic. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 11:22:47 PM »

FFX-2 is pretty damn terrible,stay away from that one....unless you like charlies angels type things,and like to get new clothes and outfits for your character

FFX is good,but its more on rails that the previous FFs...oh and the mini game blitzball is pants(but you only have to play that once)

star ocean 'til the end of time was good,some funny parts in it...i think someone said that it was 80hrs long....it comes on 2 dvds anyway

i definetly think squareenix is the way to go,they also did dragon quest 7 which i never got round to..heard it was good

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 12:35:37 AM »

ok, just about sold on FFX.  thanks for all the suggestions

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: