http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 07:02:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS2: Rogue Galaxy  (Read 8180 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2007, 06:48:10 PM »

Had some Rewards Zone coupons about to expire so I went ahead and picked it up.  Still not sure if I want to commit myself to an RPG right now but the impressions are definitely motivating me to at least try it a bit sooner than I had anticipated. 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2007, 07:15:48 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 02, 2007, 06:48:10 PM

Had some Rewards Zone coupons about to expire so I went ahead and picked it up.  Still not sure if I want to commit myself to an RPG right now but the impressions are definitely motivating me to at least try it a bit sooner than I had anticipated. 

Sure, sure. I predict that you'll be playing this non-stop by Sunday.  icon_wink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2007, 07:37:59 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on February 02, 2007, 07:15:48 PM

Sure, sure. I predict that you'll be playing this non-stop by Sunday.  icon_wink

Very very possible Tongue
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2007, 09:39:03 PM »

what were those pictures from (of the next gen level 5 game)?  definitely didnt impress - especially since their current gen (ps2) stuff looks so good

though i guess it IS an rpg (im assuming?) and its the gameplay, but still - i want whiz bang! smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2007, 09:49:18 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 02, 2007, 09:39:03 PM

though i guess it IS an rpg (im assuming?) and its the gameplay, but still - i want whiz bang! smile

White Knight Story for the PS3.  Download the video of it- you will get all of the whiz-bang you need. 
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2007, 10:10:47 PM »

excellent so that was just a bad screenshot ya?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2007, 10:58:54 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 02, 2007, 07:37:59 PM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on February 02, 2007, 07:15:48 PM

Very very possible Tongue

I will be starting it tonight and then PMing you to fuss at you to start it KMG.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2007, 11:35:37 PM »

I played a bit past the first boss and really does feel like a blend between FFXII and Dark Cloud 2.

I really like the graphical style.  It looks great and like FFXII, the only minus is the jaggies.
It took me a little while to get a hang of the combat, but I'm getting better as I play more.  At first it felt really frantic, especially when some members joined the party. 

So far, the camera bugs me a little bit.  I don't know if it's the angle, but I always seem to be fiddling with it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2007, 03:22:56 PM »

Well, i'm still on the jungle planet with about 4 hours of gametime (it's weird, I thought I had put more time into the game), and I haven't had any issues yet.  the auto lock-on is nice so I never have an issue finding an enemy that is off screen.  I've only died once when I was surprised by a mimic- they are a tough bunch but after the first disaster I got my strategery on and while not the easiest fights they're not so bad.  I think I'm going to do a bunch more of random fights to level up and maybe get some more revelations going before hitting my next objective.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2007, 02:00:22 PM »

Put an hour or so into it last night (exploring the town after the first boss).

I'm very impressed.  It feels up there with FFXII and DQ8 on the polish scale.  Localization is outstanding- I love the voice acting and even some of the random town dialog is sharp and witty.  I also like the little things like displaying a summary of what you are supposed to be doing for saves- very handy if you need to take a prolonged break.

The greatness of the graphics has already been mentioned but I"m especially surprised by how great it looks on a 42" DLP.  It doesn't have the shimmering and other artifacts so common when playing PS2 games on a fixed pixel display, especially considering it's only 480i.  And it's all streaming with nary a loading screen in sight!

I've heard that the story isn't much but so far I just love the character design, world design, and dialog so much that I don't really care if they actual plot itself is very gripping. 

Enjoying the combat system so far. I've seen it compared to Kingdom Hearts but, so far, it's not nearly as button mashy as the first KH game.  I especially like being able to use environmental objects during battle.  I do wish there was a recenter camera option but that's my only quibble on the camera. 

But, damn, I'm getting my ass kicked.  I've probably died almost ten times already in random encounters.  Some of the enemies can do so much damage that if they hit you simultaneously they can knock you out before you can even get into the menu to heal. It doesn't feel hard so much as just cheap and I hope that improves as I get more hitpoints.

Really need to get to EB today and get Double Jump's epic strategy guide. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2007, 03:41:35 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 05, 2007, 02:00:22 PM

But, damn, I'm getting my ass kicked.  I've probably died almost ten times already in random encounters.  Some of the enemies can do so much damage that if they hit you simultaneously they can knock you out before you can even get into the menu to heal. It doesn't feel hard so much as just cheap and I hope that improves as I get more hitpoints.

I didn't have any issues until I hit the next world but luckily I've only died twice.  One thing I've noticed the game will seem to always give you a chance to heal by leaving you with exactly 1 hit point.  I don't know if that is just a fluke but it happens alot.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2007, 04:03:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 05, 2007, 03:41:35 PM

I didn't have any issues until I hit the next world but luckily I've only died twice.  One thing I've noticed the game will seem to always give you a chance to heal by leaving you with exactly 1 hit point.  I don't know if that is just a fluke but it happens alot.

Uh, yeah, that hasn't been my experience.  It's been very rare I've seen my HP down in the single digits.  Usually I have 20 or more and then, BAM, dead.  It's too the point where I pretty much have to use healing potions if I get to 40 or 50 HP. 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2007, 06:09:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 05, 2007, 04:03:42 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 05, 2007, 03:41:35 PM

Uh, yeah, that hasn't been my experience.  It's been very rare I've seen my HP down in the single digits.  Usually I have 20 or more and then, BAM, dead.  It's too the point where I pretty much have to use healing potions if I get to 40 or 50 HP. 

I found the combat to be pretty challenging as well, but I think I've found a few strategies that made things quite a bit easier. I'm putting the strategies in spoiler tags, in case people want to figure these out on their own. There aren't any plot spoilers.

Spoiler for Hiden:
  • Take advantage of knockback - I'll try to keep a number of enemies on the defensive by wading into the middle of a group and then performing one or two strikes on an enemy and then using the d-pad to switch to another target. It usually takes an enemy a few seconds to recover from the knockback. This also works if you have a weapon that causes a status effect like paralysis. If I'm lucky, one or two of the monsters will get stunned.
  • Learn Desert Strike (?) skill - Jaster has a desert strike skill that effects a range of enemies. It can do a lot of damage to monsters in the first two areas.
  • Use the supweapon - Experiment with Jaster's gun. Sometimes the gun will stun enemies or break them out of a rolling attack. For some of the insect like enemies, a couple of shots from the gun will flip them on their backs.

I put about six hours in to the game and I'm really enjoying it. My only complaint is that I don't have enough control over my allies. I'd like to be able to set strategies individually, and during boss fights it's sometimes easier to just let my allies die than try to keep them alive. It's a minor quibble though, given everything else in the game.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2007, 06:20:45 PM »

I'll have to echo Kevin Grey's sentiments so far; I'm about 4 hours in and absolutely loving the game so far. I haven't heard any of the "painful" voice acting I've heard mention of (primarily from a thread on Quarter to Three), it's all been quite spot-on with how the characters should sound in general. The story is of less interest to me than just the character interaction, the theme/art, and the presentation. Like Jaster, I'm just along for the ride and to see what's out there. icon_wink

Kevin, you can recenter the camera: Use R2 and whammo, right behind Jaster again. icon_biggrin

I also have to say that there's been several great chuckle moments for me, such as when Zagrum (Zegram? whatever) first spouted out "Piss off, you idiots!" when a batch of scorpions jumped us. Actually, he's been the source of most of the humor so far. I have a feeling he'll be the HK-47 or Minsc of this game for me. icon_biggrin Staying in my party for the pure comedic value!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2007, 06:41:50 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on February 05, 2007, 06:20:45 PM

Kevin, you can recenter the camera: Use R2 and whammo, right behind Jaster again. icon_biggrin

Thanks!  I kept wanting to press R3 or L3 to make it happen and never thought to hit R2.  That should fix my concerns with the camera.

Andrew, thanks for the tips.  They should help.  Stuff like that is why the game seems to be more strategic than most action based RPG combat systems. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2007, 06:51:59 PM »

Put another couple hours in over the weekend, and realized after 8 hours that RG just simply isn't my thing.  The combat is just way to hectic and twitchy for me, and I just can't get interested in the story or characters at all.   It's got outstanding production values, but apparently my old-man gaming reflexes are such that I'm just not enjoying the game at all.

It pains me to do it (I was really hoping this would be the next 70+ hour RPG to follow up FFXII), but it's up in the trading forum if anyone wants it.   icon_cry

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2007, 07:58:30 PM »

If you're having trouble with the combat, be very wary when opening treasure chests.  Mimics are very nasty, and are several times more powerful than the other enemies in the area.  I was easily wiping out the enemies on Juraika, but the first mimic almost wiped out my party in a few seconds.  After a bunch of healing potions and resurrections, I eventually won, but it was a close call.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2007, 08:02:06 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 05, 2007, 07:58:30 PM

If you're having trouble with the combat, be very wary when opening treasure chests.  Mimics are very nasty, and are several times more powerful than the other enemies in the area.  I was easily wiping out the enemies on Juraika, but the first mimic almost wiped out my party in a few seconds.  After a bunch of healing potions and resurrections, I eventually won, but it was a close call.

Status effects like freeze and stun are the best way to handle mimics.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2007, 08:07:26 PM »

I have bad news for myself: Even though I am ACHING to start playing Rogue Galaxy, I popped in FF12 the other day to get a feel for where I was in the story, and played for about an hour before the weekend festivities took me away from it. Now, all I can say is that FF12 is totally on my mind and I have determined that since I disrespected one of my favorite franchises on its release that I was going to devote myself to finishing it before I moved on to Rogue Galaxy. So I am going to dive in, and hope to return to this thread to read your impressions of Rogue and post my own in roughly 7-10 days smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2007, 08:07:44 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 05, 2007, 07:58:30 PM

Yeah, I got smacked around by a couple of those on Juraika.  Certainly a shock after walking through most of the other enemies.

Unfortunately, Rogue Galaxy failed my "8 hour test".  If I find that I'm not enjoying a game after 8 hours, I can put in aside in good conscience knowing that I gave it a fair shake.  I might have been able to handle the combat difficulties if the story was compelling (or vice versa), but the combination of the two just killed it for me.  With zero interest in the characters and nothing but aggravation with the combat, the game was quickly becoming an exercise in frustration and simply not any fun.

I am glad so many others seem to be enjoying it though.  I just wish I was there with ya.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2007, 08:10:12 PM »

The challenge level of the combat seems to vary pretty steeply from one encounter to the next: one moment you're cutting down your enemies before they can even launch an attack, and the next battle spawns a group of beasts who slaughter your entire party.  I also had a lot more difficulty defeating the mid-boss on Juraika than I did the final boss.

It can be a little frustrating at times, but so far I'm really enjoying the Treasure Island-meets-Star Wars motif and I'm looking forward to spending even more time with it this week.

By the way, how old is Miri supposed to be?  Maybe it's just the contrast between her and Lilika, but I thought she was about 12-13 at best and that made some of the other characters seem a little creepy....  icon_neutral

-Autistic Angel
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2007, 08:14:49 PM »

I'm having a blast with the combat (it's not as hectic as Kingdom Hearts was, but it's far more entertaining than FFXII is), so I'm surprised at reading the reactions here. The story so far wants me to push forward (I find the total lack (at 5 hours in) of a 'save the world' scenario to be refreshing), and the characters are likable.

Well worth the $40 purchase for me so far.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2007, 08:24:18 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 05, 2007, 08:10:12 PM

The challenge level of the combat seems to vary pretty steeply from one encounter to the next: one moment you're cutting down your enemies before they can even launch an attack, and the next battle spawns a group of beasts who slaughter your entire party.  I also had a lot more difficulty defeating the mid-boss on Juraika than I did the final boss.

I thought the same thing too, although part of the difficulty of the mid-boss is that it took me longer to figure out how to beat the mid-boss, while the game pretty much telegraphs the final boss's weakness. I'm curious though about how you handled your companions when fighting the mid-boss. By far the most difficult part of that fight was keeping my two companions alive, and I finally just gave up and stopped resurrecting them and fought him alone.

By the way, how old is Miri supposed to be?  Maybe it's just the contrast between her and Lilika, but I thought she was about 12-13 at best and that made some of the other characters seem a little creepy....  icon_neutral

+1. The comment Zegram makes about which girl Jasper prefers was a real WTF? moment.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2007, 09:40:42 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 05, 2007, 08:07:44 PM

Unfortunately, Rogue Galaxy failed my "8 hour test".  If I find that I'm not enjoying a game after 8 hours, I can put in aside in good conscience knowing that I gave it a fair shake.  I might have been able to handle the combat difficulties if the story was compelling (or vice versa), but the combination of the two just killed it for me.  With zero interest in the characters and nothing but aggravation with the combat, the game was quickly becoming an exercise in frustration and simply not any fun.

I am glad so many others seem to be enjoying it though.  I just wish I was there with ya.  frown

I know what you mean and have faced that kind of problem myself. Tales of Symphonia on the Cube failed my "20 hour test". icon_biggrin At first I loved it, had a blast, and could forgive the very cliched and predictable story since the characters were interesting and the combat was great, but when I finally reached
Spoiler for Hiden:
the other world
, the game was feeling more like drudgery than anything else and I found that I was forcing myself to play it. I gave it another five hours and finally quit at the 25 hour mark. I wanted to like that game so much after enjoying the early portion of a lot, but I just lost interest. frown

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2007, 10:27:08 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon
I'm curious though about how you handled your companions when fighting the mid-boss [on Juraika]. By far the most difficult part of that fight was keeping my two companions alive, and I finally just gave up and stopped resurrecting them and fought him alone.

I did the same thing.  The issue is that when the mid-boss
Spoiler for Hiden:
electrifies the water with his tentacles, you can easily avoid about 90% of the damage by simply holding "Block"...except your allies never, ever block.  Unless you're willing to pause the game every twenty seconds and commit every item in your inventory to keeping your party up and fighting, it's best to just let them roast and focus on winning the battle by yourself.

It makes me wish there was a "Defensive Strategy" command you could give where your party members would focus on ranged attacks and blocking incoming damage whenever possible.

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 10:29:58 PM by Autistic Angel » Logged
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2007, 08:52:06 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I set them to the "stand back" (i.e. you guys stop it and let me fight it on my own) team setting, ran to solid ground and got them to follow me, then used ranged attacks on the boss. icon_biggrin

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2007, 02:18:07 AM »

Okay... factory.  Made the first item you have to have to make anything else.  I get the materials for the unconscious defense, set things up, and it tells me something isn't connected right.  I have power to everything, and all the proccessing stuff for metals and alchemy.  Do I have to first create the other factory part I have a blueprint for?  I don't have the chaos chips yet for that. 

Really confused... and annoyed.

Edit: okay... figured it out.  Two of the processing parts were backwards.  Took me waaay too long to figure that out.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 02:27:15 AM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2007, 05:04:56 PM »

so,... anyone ever get any further into this? got it over the weekend, made it to the jungle village, & i find i'm just as tangled up in the love/hate feelings about the game as (almost) everyone else is (was?). should i hang in there, or bail now (with the way this thread just kinda dried up & died kinda pointing toward the latter)?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2007, 05:17:51 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on March 26, 2007, 05:04:56 PM

so,... anyone ever get any further into this? got it over the weekend, made it to the jungle village, & i find i'm just as tangled up in the love/hate feelings about the game as (almost) everyone else is (was?). should i hang in there, or bail now (with the way this thread just kinda dried up & died kinda pointing toward the latter)?...

Someone finished it last week and gave some great impressions in the thread (and I asked for some clarification on stuff too-very helpful), but I still haven't started. My plan is to start it this weekend after I get rid of the old PS3 and get another ps2-so, hopefully I will get some playtime in at that point. Sorry I can't tell you whether to continue or not-what is the root of your love/hate thing?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2007, 05:57:50 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 26, 2007, 05:17:51 PM

Someone finished it last week and gave some great impressions in the thread (and I asked for some clarification on stuff too-very helpful), but I still haven't started. My plan is to start it this weekend after I get rid of the old PS3 and get another ps2-so, hopefully I will get some playtime in at that point. Sorry I can't tell you whether to continue or not-what is the root of your love/hate thing?

ah-ha! - just found the thread. aa's comments are very good - maybe i'll stick it out a bit longer...

thanks, cal smile ...

(oh, yeah - as far as my love/hate thing: cheap (usually mimic-related) deaths & murky nature of the revelation board, mostly. also, the very limited ai control settings for your party (i know comparing any such system to ffxii isn't fair - but even the tales system seems better than this one)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2007, 06:08:44 PM »

Dude I just PM'ed you, I would love to take that PS3 off your hands if we can work something out.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2007, 06:14:58 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on March 26, 2007, 05:57:50 PM

ah-ha! - just found the thread. aa's comments are very good - maybe i'll stick it out a bit longer...

thanks, cal smile ...

(oh, yeah - as far as my love/hate thing: cheap (usually mimic-related) deaths & murky nature of the revelation board, mostly. also, the very limited ai control settings for your party (i know comparing any such system to ffxii isn't fair - but even the tales system seems better than this one)...

Yeah limited AI settings definitely bugged me of what I played, but I sort of just figured I would take turns with the active character and just do it that way. I have read a lot of complaints about the murky revelation board, but I fully intend to have a handy little GameFaqs page up and running for that smile
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2007, 11:14:59 PM »

enough! - i quit!...

as for why, i can't put it better than this:

Quote from: Gratch on February 05, 2007, 08:07:44 PM

the fact that the last 2 dungeons i did were (pretty ugly) interiors definitely didn't help. even using the overhead view, battles were still chaotic &, even after hours of play, the combat controls/commands felt limited & kludgy...

back to tales of the abyss for me - not nearly so pretty, but a heckuva lot more fun...

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2007, 01:31:46 AM »

I still really love Rogue Galaxy. I don't know why exactly, I just really dig it. Always lots of fun when I play it. icon_biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2007, 01:40:26 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on March 31, 2007, 01:31:46 AM

I still really love Rogue Galaxy. I don't know why exactly, I just really dig it. Always lots of fun when I play it. icon_biggrin

I am going to start it tonight. Sorry you didn't care for it semiconscious!!

Interested to hear about this Tales thing though!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2007, 04:48:12 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 31, 2007, 01:40:26 AM

Quote from: Farscry on March 31, 2007, 01:31:46 AM

I am going to start it tonight. Sorry you didn't care for it semiconscious!!

Interested to hear about this Tales thing though!

tota impressions here...

as much as anything, it's the 'attack until stamina depleted / recharge' aspect of rg's combat that wore me down - that this adds a 'strategy' element to things seems a real reach to me, & brought back bad memories of ffviii's 'draw system' - different, yes - but not a whole lot of fun after a number of hours...

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: