http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 05:41:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS2: Rogue Galaxy  (Read 8183 times)
unbreakable
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2007, 02:59:56 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 25, 2007, 02:47:27 AM

Quote from: unbreakable on January 25, 2007, 01:05:01 AM

I'm working late tonight, but I'll check out the demo either tomorrow or by this weekend at the latest.

I keep seeing the demo sitting there when I get home, it's making me really want to play it...

Is this still available anywhere? I need to try the combat system before I can even consider a purchase.

I got mine at Gamestop, they said it was their last copy.

I'm going to try it out right now.  If you can't find it, I'll send it to you when I'm done.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:05:03 AM by unbreakable » Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2007, 04:05:05 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 25, 2007, 02:59:56 AM

Quote from: Calvin on January 25, 2007, 02:47:27 AM

Quote from: unbreakable on January 25, 2007, 01:05:01 AM

I'm working late tonight, but I'll check out the demo either tomorrow or by this weekend at the latest.

I keep seeing the demo sitting there when I get home, it's making me really want to play it...

Is this still available anywhere? I need to try the combat system before I can even consider a purchase.

I got mine at Gamestop, they said it was their last copy.

I'm going to try it out right now.  If you can't find it, I'll send it to you when I'm done.

Thanks man.
unbreakable
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2007, 04:10:04 AM »

All right, all done.

It's pretty fun, but the interactive parts drop you into parts which I'm assuming are later in the game.  So it's nice in that you get to use more powerful characters, but bad in that I don't really know how to fight effectively: there seem to be a lot of options, too.

It seemed cool, however.  And it also seems like there is a really good story there.

Send me a PM with your info, I'll mail it out tomorrow.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2007, 04:17:22 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 25, 2007, 04:10:04 AM

All right, all done.

It's pretty fun, but the interactive parts drop you into parts which I'm assuming are later in the game.  So it's nice in that you get to use more powerful characters, but bad in that I don't really know how to fight effectively: there seem to be a lot of options, too.

It seemed cool, however.  And it also seems like there is a really good story there.

Send me a PM with your info, I'll mail it out tomorrow.

How is the combat exactly? Thanks and I will send you a PM
unbreakable
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 04:24:35 AM »

It seems very action-oriented.  You have a primary and secondary attack, it seems like the secondary will generally be ranged.  You can also jump-attack.

It's a lot more like Zelda than it is like FF (bear in mind I haven't played any PS2 FF games yet).  So it's not really turn based or active-time battle style: you run around, attack, etc.

You can also have two companions with you.  While they act on their own, there are also ways to control the AI, or have them do specific actions (I didn't really get the hang of it).

Just from playing it, I'm sure I'll pick it up sometime, but due to my huge backlog, I'm going to have to clear some space first  icon_smile
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2007, 10:21:18 PM »

Gamespot's review is up: 8.0

Quote from: Gamespot
Like an anime version of Star Wars, this big, lavishly produced action RPG is another good reason not to shelve your PlayStation 2 just yet.

The Good: Beautifully crafted, imaginative sci-fi gameworld; deep item customization, minigames, and other extras; a variety of different playable characters.
The Bad: Action-packed combat can feel haphazard or too repetitive; environments look good but mostly consist of basic rooms and corridors.

The tone of the review is remarkably positive: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/roguegalaxy/review.html?sid=6163987

EDIT: DAMMITT! EddieA posted this days ago. Why am I always a day late and a dollar short mad
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 01:12:55 AM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2007, 11:52:53 PM »

Based on the reviews this game has been getting I'm definitely planning on picking it up in the very near future. And If comes anywhere close to the fun I'm currently having with Star Ocean it will be well worth it.

Of course having only had a PS2 for about 6 months there's still so many more RPGs I haven't yet played. Hell I haven't even played DQ VIII, VP 2, DC2 or any of the Suikodens or SMT's!  icon_confused
depward

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2007, 12:14:53 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 26, 2007, 11:52:53 PM

Based on the reviews this game has been getting I'm definitely planning on picking it up in the very near future. And If comes anywhere close to the fun I'm currently having with Star Ocean it will be well worth it.

Of course having only had a PS2 for about 6 months there's still so many more RPGs I haven't yet played. Hell I haven't even played DQ VIII, VP 2, DC2 or any of the Suikodens or SMT's!  icon_confused
Don't forget the Shadow Hearts series (ESPECIALLY Covenant)   icon_biggrin

Not really excited for Rogue Galaxy.  Have way too much on my plate currently.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2007, 12:59:40 AM »

Quote from: depward on January 27, 2007, 12:14:53 AM

I actually have a list with about 20 PS2 RPGs that a friend compiled for me. And yes Shadow Hearts Covenants is most definitely on it.   finger
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2007, 01:14:41 AM »

Quote from: depward on January 27, 2007, 12:14:53 AM

Yeah unless the demo really grabs me, I am going to be finishing FF12 first for sure.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2007, 02:51:41 AM »

I'm not going to let a silly thing like not having enough time or having too many games already stop me  icon_biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2007, 03:09:26 AM »

I have to admit I'm getting pretty pumped for Rogue Galaxy but I'm not sure I want to commit myself to a large RPG right now.  We'll see what next week brings.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2007, 07:30:08 PM »

IGN's review is up - 8.7/10.  I'm leaving in a few minutes to pick mine up, and I'll post some impressions later.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2007, 07:55:25 PM »

I was dead set against getting this, but a couple of the reviews are making it look more tempting.  Plus the fact that it's only $40 helps.  I'm not really playing else anything right now, so maybe I'll give it a shot.

I canceled my Gamestop pre-order, so I'm debating if I want to try and go play their "you didn't pre-order, you don't get one" game.

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2007, 08:00:09 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 31, 2007, 07:55:25 PM

I was dead set against getting this, but a couple of the reviews are making it look more tempting.  Plus the fact that it's only $40 helps.  I'm not really playing else anything right now, so maybe I'll give it a shot.

I canceled my Gamestop pre-order, so I'm debating if I want to try and go play their "you didn't pre-order, you don't get one" game.

If you've got a big box retailer near you (Best Buy, Target) I think almost all of them guaranteed in store sometime Wednesday.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2007, 08:13:11 PM »

Picked mine up at the local EB today.  They only had one pre-order (amazingly enough).  They had a whole shelf full of the things.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2007, 08:47:30 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 31, 2007, 08:13:11 PM

They had a whole shelf full of the things.

This is supposed to be a 'big' release. Makes me surprised that there weren't more preorders for it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2007, 08:55:59 PM »

When I picked up mine, some guy who smelled of District Manager asked me if I preordered Rogue Galaxy, and when I said no, was surprised that the store had some available for sale anyhow.  He said something about other GameStop stores in the area were sold out and that I was very lucky to be able to get one.

-Autistic Angel
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2007, 09:13:53 PM »

Picked it up, no idea when I'll actually get time to play it.  Especially since I got battlestations midway as well today.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2007, 09:26:26 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 31, 2007, 08:55:59 PM

When I picked up mine, some guy who smelled of District Manager asked me if I preordered Rogue Galaxy, and when I said no, was surprised that the store had some available for sale anyhow.  He said something about other GameStop stores in the area were sold out and that I was very lucky to be able to get one.

-Autistic Angel

Man, that bullshit infuriates me.  That's a whole 'nother topic for a whole 'nother thread though.

Maybe I'll swing by Target on the way home.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2007, 10:56:59 PM »

I think they must be pushing Guitar Hero for the 360 in my particular store, cause the salesman was a maniac with the people in front of me on that bad boy.

It's kind of amusing to hear them in "sales mode".

"Hey dude.  Did you hear wh..."

"Yeah, I heard.  I could care less.  I will pre-order MLB The Show 07 while I'm here though.  So can you spare me the GH stuff please?"

Salesman laughs

"Sure, dude."

"Thanks."

icon_biggrin

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2007, 11:05:56 PM »

My Gamestop didn't get it in today for some reason, so I cancelled my preorder and picked it up at Best Buy, who had a bunch of copies.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2007, 11:19:58 PM »

Can someone please let me know if this is HD Loader compatible?  Thanks   paranoid

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2007, 11:21:07 PM »

Bleh, the Best Buy and Circuit City by me didn't have it today.  icon_frown

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2007, 11:28:08 PM »

I got it today at Best Buy. Now with the PS3 updated backwords compatability, this should look fantastic! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2007, 12:16:26 AM »

Got it today as well at a local EB. The guy seemed shocked I asked for it.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2007, 12:55:53 AM »

I played for about an hour, and I think I'm in love.  The graphics are just amazing, easily outclassing the already beautiful graphics of Dragon Quest 8.  The voice acting is superb, the battles are fun, and look great even early on, and there are already lots of nice little touches, like the very FF12-like bestiary, which rewards you for killing a certain number of each enemy.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2007, 07:26:12 AM »

wow... I'm hooked.  I was worried how this would look on my 46' HDTV but I'm going to have to say it looks better than FFXII.  I love the gameplay (I could do without the invisible encounters though) but I can see this getting some serious playtime when I'm not playing Vanguard.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2007, 08:18:15 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 01, 2007, 07:26:12 AM

wow... I'm hooked.  I was worried how this would look on my 46' HDTV but I'm going to have to say it looks better than FFXII.  I love the gameplay (I could do without the invisible encounters though) but I can see this getting some serious playtime when I'm not playing Vanguard.

Did any of you playing Rogue Galaxy ever finish FF12? I ask because I picked up Rogue today even though I haven't opened it yet. I am going to potentially be insanely busy the next few weeks and am looking to play the RPG that is most friendly for getting into for an hour-max 2 hours at a time or a day-thats the upper limit. I have FF12, but stopped playing for some reason about 6 hours in months ago right after it was released-I got caught up in 360 releases and just have been waiting for the "right time" to go back to it. So I guess my question for those of you that have played both now-whats more casual friendly for me start?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2007, 02:05:06 PM »

Quick (2 hours) impressions:

+  Sure is purty.  Not sure if it looks better than FFXII, but it's certainly equal in a cel-shaded sort of way.

+  VO work is good.  Nothing turns me off of a game faster than bad voice work, and RG nailed it.

+  Seems like there will be plenty to do. 

+/- Not sold on the combat system yet.  It's very fast and frantic, and reminds me a lot of Kingdom Hearts (which I really disliked).  Part of the problem comes from the camera (more in a sec), but I probably just need to figure out how to use it better.

-  Story is pretty bland so far.  From the reviews, it doesn't sound it gets much more interesting, which is a shame.  There's a ton they could have done with this universe, no pun intended. 

-  Camera is pretty wonky in battles.  On multiple occasions, it got locked into strange angles that made it impossible to see what was going on.  I found that I get hit a lot from behind because I can't see what's back there.  It's also annoying that blocking locks you into one spot.  Combat would be instantly improved if you were just able to rotate while blocking to see where the enemies are.

-  Difficulty seems a bit off, but maybe that's because I'm not any good yet.   I took out a few bosses with no problem, then got my ass handed to me by ye olde generic enemies.

First impressions are that it's a poor man's FFXII.  The Revelation board is similar to the license board, and the bestiary is just like FFXII's in trying to kill X number of a certain enemy.  It certainly channels both Dark Cloud and Kingdom Hearts in it's combat style, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your opinion of those games.  I'm not sold on it yet, but I'm not hating it either.  Gonna need another few hours to tell.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2007, 03:25:49 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 01, 2007, 08:18:15 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 01, 2007, 07:26:12 AM

Did any of you playing Rogue Galaxy ever finish FF12? I ask because I picked up Rogue today even though I haven't opened it yet. I am going to potentially be insanely busy the next few weeks and am looking to play the RPG that is most friendly for getting into for an hour-max 2 hours at a time or a day-thats the upper limit. I have FF12, but stopped playing for some reason about 6 hours in months ago right after it was released-I got caught up in 360 releases and just have been waiting for the "right time" to go back to it. So I guess my question for those of you that have played both now-whats more casual friendly for me start?

That's about where I got in FFXII when the exact same thing happened to me.  I may get back to it eventually.  I'd say as to being casual friendly right now I'd say it's a toss up between the two.  IIRC both have save points- so far RG has had plenty of them so it may be easier to do the 1-2 hours at a time with it.  That said I cannot remember how often FFXII had save points.

Quote from: Gratch on February 01, 2007, 02:05:06 PM

+/- Not sold on the combat system yet.  It's very fast and frantic, and reminds me a lot of Kingdom Hearts (which I really disliked).  Part of the problem comes from the camera (more in a sec), but I probably just need to figure out how to use it better.

I loved Kingdom Hearts (although I've never gotten around to finishing it due to game ADD) and personally I was hoping the FFXII was going to be more like it.  I guess I misunderstood the combat video I saw for FF.

-  Camera is pretty wonky in battles.  On multiple occasions, it got locked into strange angles that made it impossible to see what was going on.  I found that I get hit a lot from behind because I can't see what's back there.  It's also annoying that blocking locks you into one spot.  Combat would be instantly improved if you were just able to rotate while blocking to see where the enemies are.
I haven't had any real issues yet.  I remember seeing a pop up about 2 different camera angles but I'll need look back and see how you change them.

Because I can,
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2007, 05:50:37 PM »

Willpower evaporating. I'm sensing a trip to Best Buy is my plans for tonight.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2007, 08:13:42 PM »

I've only put in a half hour or so (was just found by two 'buddies' and defeated the first boss), but I'm loving every minute of it. Yeah, the combat is sorta like FFXII, but it's FAR more interactive IMHO (especially considering I had all my characters on FFXII on auto-Gambit and never manually did anything), but it's not annoying like Kingdom Hearts was.

The game looks great (and does so without loading times). I can't wait to see what Level 5 does with the 360/PS3 as far as graphical oomph goes.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2007, 08:57:41 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on February 01, 2007, 05:50:37 PM

Willpower evaporating. I'm sensing a trip to Best Buy is my plans for tonight.

I'm finding it hard to resist as well, it seems right up my alley.  There's a little voice in my head that's getting drowned out more and more, he's trying to remind me that I still haven't finished Zelda, FFXII, FFIII, Golden Sun, Dragon Ques...what's that?  La la la can't hear you anymore.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2007, 09:08:48 PM »

Decided to pick this one up at Best Buy, since I've got coupons for $10 off $40 or more videogames, and I figured it wouldn't be dropping much below $30 for a while.  Go Cheapass Gamer!

I'm still not convinced I'll play it soon, but I like having the option.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2007, 11:48:25 PM »

Well looks like I am back to having more free time after all. Just going to play both for a few days and see what grabs my interest the most.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2007, 02:41:29 AM »

"I can't wait to see what Level 5 does with the 360/PS3 as far as graphical oomph goes."

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2007, 03:01:28 AM »

oooh yeah, WHITE KNIGHT STORY FTW!!!!

It's one of the 'must haves' for me on the PS3.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2007, 04:16:09 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 02, 2007, 02:41:29 AM

"I can't wait to see what Level 5 does with the 360/PS3 as far as graphical oomph goes."

I completely forgot about that. You win.  icon_biggrin

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2007, 06:01:34 PM »

I picked this up last night and managed to put in a good hour-and-a-half into the game and generally like what I see so far. At this point the game feels like the Kingdom Hearts combat engine set in the Digital Devil Saga school of dungeon design. The first dungeon/area is quite lengthy and they seem to reuse the exteriors quite a bit. This isnít too say that itís boring, but it isnít like FFXII where they pack a lot of creatures into a small area. Itís big environments that sometimes feel like they are a little too sparsely populated.

Combat works fine, with your standard three-hit melee combos combined with jumping and ranged attacks. There are also some occasional platform elements both in and out of combat. The camera can be wonky on some occasions, but the environments arenít closed in enough that a building or other structure obscures the POV. Combat seems nice and tough so far, although I think some of my deaths related to acclimating to the jumping and lock-on systems, but I like the fact that the game isnít a cake walk.

Production values in the game are excellent. The graphics are phenomenal and the voice acting is very good. I really like how the voice actors manage to give the game a light tone and emphasize some humor without the game feeling like a Saturday morning cartoon for kids. I think a lot of this is achieved by having the main character be somewhat dour and grim. Jaster doesnít act like a doe-eyed virgin like the main characters in other JRPGs.

Iím definitely looking forward to putting more time into this over the weekend. I was going to hold off buying this, but after playing it Iím happy I didnít. Itís a fun polished game without much of a downside. Itís not the most original game in the world, but they borrowed the best elements from other series and so far it works quite well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: