http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 09:12:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS2: Rogue Galaxy  (Read 8170 times)
unbreakable
« on: December 07, 2006, 05:20:56 PM »

Wow, I was looking at GameSpot's Preview of Rogue Galaxy.  Sounds pretty good, and it's amazing to see there are still a lot of good games coming down the pipe for PS2 (especially RPG games!).

It's being made by Level 5, the guys who did Dark Cloud 2 and Dragon's Quest VIII (both are on the "I have to play" list...).  I think I can easily spend the next year just catching up on all the PS2 RPGs.
Creepy_Smell
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 05:49:29 PM »

Ive actually decided to finally pick up a PS2. Tons of rpgs and other games it has that I've never played since I only have a xbox. I dont feel like spending the cash for next gen yet so a ps2 purchase now will give me tons of games to play for cheap.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 06:27:58 PM »

Gotta find the time to play this...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 08:06:17 PM »

There are still quite a few RPGs coming on PS2 - Ar Tonelico, Dawn of Mana, .hack /GU 2 and 3, Persona 3, Rogue Galaxy, Shining Force EXA, and Wild ARMs 5.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 09:34:25 PM »

Have you played the demo?  It looks and plays fantastic.
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 09:55:19 PM »

No, where can I get the demo at?
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 11:52:34 PM »

I got it at a Gamestop.  I asked for it and they gave it to me.  It's not much, but it's still cool.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 02:50:20 AM »

Does the demo include a dungeon?  If so is it randomly generated?

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 03:26:47 AM »

I haven't played the demo, so I'm not sure about its contents, but in the full game, the dungeons are randomly generated.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 03:36:14 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 08, 2006, 03:26:47 AM

I haven't played the demo, so I'm not sure about its contents, but in the full game, the dungeons are randomly generated.

Nothing I've read (and I've read previews and import reviews) indicates that any of the areas in Rogue Galaxy are randomly generated. Where'd you hear this new info from? I'd be a bit disappointed if this is the case.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 05:01:27 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 08, 2006, 03:36:14 AM

Quote from: EddieA on December 08, 2006, 03:26:47 AM

Nothing I've read (and I've read previews and import reviews) indicates that any of the areas in Rogue Galaxy are randomly generated. Where'd you hear this new info from? I'd be a bit disappointed if this is the case.

I wont buy the game if they are randomly generated, that totally killed Dark Cloud 2 for me.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 06:36:37 AM »

I was wrong - the levels aren't randomly-generated.  I think when they first announced the game, they said the dungeons would be randomly-generated (and a Google search of Rogue Galaxy and "randomly generated") shows several early previews saying that.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 02:31:42 PM »

Ok, cool. I'd play it anyway if they stuck with random generation, but I much prefer a well-crafted world to adventure through with my console rpg's in most cases. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 02:34:12 PM »

Evidently, for the Japanese version of the game, while the dungeons weren't randomly generated they *felt* that way- ie a bad thing and was cited as one of the most significant weaknesses in the game.  However dungeon design is one of the things that has been touched up in the US version, so hopefully we'll see some improvement there. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 02:36:28 PM »

I've been a little leery about Rogue Galaxy because I burned out big time on both DC2 & DQVIII.  Not because they were bad games, but because they were just so damn huge I felt like I was never getting anywhere.  However, I've been getting more and more interested the more I read, and I'm really leaning towards picking up RG.

FWIW, my copy of GI arrived yesterday and they gave it a 9. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 07:48:19 PM »

I believe Rogue Galaxy is supposed to be quite a bit shorter than DQ8 or DC2, although there appears to be a lot of sidequests and extras.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 08:06:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 08, 2006, 02:36:28 PM

I've been a little leery about Rogue Galaxy because I burned out big time on both DC2 & DQVIII.  Not because they were bad games, but because they were just so damn huge I felt like I was never getting anywhere.  However, I've been getting more and more interested the more I read, and I'm really leaning towards picking up RG.

FWIW, my copy of GI arrived yesterday and they gave it a 9. 

Completely agreed about DC2 and DQ8-plus, for DC2 the combat was awful for me too, and in DQ8, the save system almost ruined it for me. I struggled with both.
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 01:54:11 AM »

DAMN
IT

I was just at Gamestopo and forgot to check if they had the demo for this.  It's their fault, they distracted me by messing up my game purchase.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 06:40:13 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 09, 2006, 01:54:11 AM

DAMN
IT

I was just at Gamestopo and forgot to check if they had the demo for this.  It's their fault, they distracted me by messing up my game purchase.

LOL, I love typos for Gamestop.

Anyway, the videos for this game look fantastic.. The PS2 keeps on kickin' ass!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 06:47:57 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 04:56:40 PM »

I've actually taken to calling them Gamestopo full time now.

"Ve haffe vays of making you... preorder!"
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2006, 07:13:25 PM »

Wow, that actually does sound like a fun game. Sort of like what Wild Arms could have been like... :slywink:

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 09:27:01 PM »

Actually, if anyone wants to demo for Rogue Galaxy, PM me.  I'm done with it (it's really short).
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2006, 07:52:45 AM »

There's a nice 8-minute video preview heredrool

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 04:58:37 PM »

More preview shtuffff...

Jan. 15th, 2007

welcome to gamespy...

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 06:22:33 PM »

I just picked up a demo disk at Gamestopo (the last one, too... thanks for letting me know about it, whoever that was!).

I haven't checked it out yet (was too busy with Burning Crusade), but I'll give some impressions, and maybe grab some screenshots.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 06:48:57 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 26, 2006, 07:52:45 AM

There's a nice 8-minute video preview heredrool

even though i'm sure i'll be getting this, & i like the graphic design, & i think the pseudo-grid system does indeed look interesting, there's been something about rogue galaxy from day one that's triggered my 'warning! - generic rpg ahead!' system alert, & nothing i've read/seen (including the linked video, which i hadn't seen before) has given me a reason to feel otherwise...

obviously, i'll be very happy to be proven wrong...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 07:13:33 PM »

I wasn't overly impressed with the demo.  It looked good, but the combat seemed way too frantic for my tastes.  Of course it doesn't help that I got my ass completely kicked by some trapped treasure chest about 5 minutes into the demo.  Note to devs:  releasing a demo in which players come up against uber-tough enemies right off the bat (without being familiar with the combat system), is usually not the best way to make a good first impression.

That being said, I also hated the FFXII demo for the same reason (too frantic, seemed difficult), and that ended up being my GOTY for last year.  I'm still hopeful, but don't have terribly high expectations.  I have RG pre-ordered, but will probably wait for reviews.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 11:52:19 PM »

I would be all over this if the combat system wasn't turned base.  At least I heard it was.  That is a definite no way for me. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2007, 11:56:49 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on January 17, 2007, 11:52:19 PM

I would be all over this if the combat system wasn't turned base.  At least I heard it was.  That is a definite no way for me. 

Combat is real-time. If you are curious you should check out the demo to see if the game is up your alley. Check with Gamestop and EB to see if they have any demo disks left.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2007, 11:58:53 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on January 17, 2007, 11:52:19 PM

It's not turn-based.  Well, at least the part of the demo I played was definately not turn based.  There were always 3 party members and 3-4 enemies frantically running around, everyone performing actions at maniac speed.  In fact, the real-time speed of the battles was so frantic that it was a huge turn-off for me, as I could never get a handle on what the hell was actually going on. 

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 12:11:26 AM »

Gametrailers has a video giving a nice explanation of the battle system here (scroll down to "Combat Overview").

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 02:29:40 AM »

You know, I know for a 100% fact that I would like the game much more potentially if it WAS turn-based. I just love love love TB rpgs and have never enjoyed an action rpg as much. However, I would really like to try out this demo.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 04:02:55 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 18, 2007, 02:29:40 AM

You know, I know for a 100% fact that I would like the game much more potentially if it WAS turn-based. I just love love love TB rpgs and have never enjoyed an action rpg as much. However, I would really like to try out this demo.

And I would like it more if it didnt have stupid randomly generated dungeons frown

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 04:43:23 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on January 18, 2007, 04:02:55 AM

And I would like it more if it didnt have stupid randomly generated dungeons frown

Pretty sure the dungeons are NOT randomly generated.  At least that seemed to be the consensus reached earlier in this thread. 
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 06:30:31 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 18, 2007, 04:43:23 AM

Quote from: GatorFavre on January 18, 2007, 04:02:55 AM

Pretty sure the dungeons are NOT randomly generated.  At least that seemed to be the consensus reached earlier in this thread. 

Well shoot, that is good news!

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2007, 06:51:14 AM »

Gamespy has posted their review - 4.5/5.  Only 11 days to go  drool

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2007, 07:48:38 AM »

EGM had their reviews in the most recent issue, reviews were: 7.5, 7.0 and 8.0.  I think GameInformer's main score was a 9 in the previous issue. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 12:58:19 AM »

Gamespot's review is up - 8/10.  Only a few more days  drool

unbreakable
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 01:05:01 AM »

I'm working late tonight, but I'll check out the demo either tomorrow or by this weekend at the latest.

I keep seeing the demo sitting there when I get home, it's making me really want to play it...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2007, 02:47:27 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 25, 2007, 01:05:01 AM

I'm working late tonight, but I'll check out the demo either tomorrow or by this weekend at the latest.

I keep seeing the demo sitting there when I get home, it's making me really want to play it...

Is this still available anywhere? I need to try the combat system before I can even consider a purchase.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: