http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 08:23:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS2 platformers rejoice! Ratchet 4, Jak X, and Sly 3!  (Read 2028 times)
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2005, 09:00:10 AM »

the May issue of EGM has a two page article about these 3 games. all coming this Fall.

Ratchet: Deadlock - no more Clank. squad based combat with both single player and full multiplayer.

Jak X - full vehicle combat game with both single player and multiplayer (think Twisted Metal mixed with the vehicle parts of Jak 3). vehicles can be customized.

Sly 3 - more of the same from part 2. both now you can control more character (the rival characters from the first two games) and you can replay old levels with new abilities you obtain and access areas in the old levels you couldnt before. maybe some form of multiplayer.

all games are being made by the same dev teams and use the same voice actors. expect great stuff as usual. Sony has the best first party games. i'm really happy about this news.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 10:17:03 AM »

I'm looking forward to all of these.  Before people become *too* concerned about milking the franchises, both Ratchet and Jak are nothing like the previous entries in the series so it shouldn't be stale.  

The general concensus is that both Ratchet and Jak will be "retired" after this generation so both new games mark a last chance for the dev teams to try something different.  Supposedly Insomniac is already at work on a major FPS for PS3 and Naughty Dog is also rumored to be working on their first next-gen title (it will not be a Jak game).

Both devs did something similar in the PSX era- Insomniac had the three Spyro games and Naughty Dog had the three Crash games plus Crash Team Racing.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 10:30:31 AM »

Give me a GoW2 and I'd be happy as a clam biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 10:36:53 AM »

"Supposedly Insomniac is already at work on a major FPS for PS3"
I really hope that's not true.  I'm okay with FPS games on the PC, but I find console FPS games pretty much unplayable.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 02:34:20 PM »

I'm sure we might find some PSP love in there too!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 02:47:31 PM »

They sound interesting but I wouldn't say "platformers rejoice" as neither of the new Ratchet or Jak games are platformers.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 03:20:14 PM »

Im excited for the new ratchet game, but really why the hell havent these titles made their way to the PSP for launch?
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 05:19:33 PM »

maybe the PS3 FPS will be a Ratchet game... your just playing with the L1 button held down the entire time. slywink
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 07:03:23 PM »

I gotta get me a PS2 ..... unless the PS3 is for sure backwards compatable.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 09:07:06 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Im excited for the new ratchet game, but really why the hell havent these titles made their way to the PSP for launch?

Probably not going to happen.  The engine that both Naughty Dog and Insomniac use requires extensive streaming for the no-load time approach they use.  Continuous streaming currently seems to be a no-no to PSP developers since its will drain the battery *much* faster.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 12:11:07 AM »

"I gotta get me a PS2 ..... unless the PS3 is for sure backwards compatable."
It is - with both PS2 and PSOne.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 12:44:48 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"

Has PS1 been confirmed?  I thought I read that PS2 is definite but there was still some question about PS1.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 12:44:50 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Wow.  That's awesome.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 01:40:45 AM »

I didn't realise how cheap the new slim PS2s were - I'm tempted to buy one right now.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 11:59:51 AM »

no clank?! (goes off to be alone for a while...)

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 08:50:57 PM »

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but holy crap, I really want a PS2 right now, much more than I wanted an Xbox a few months back when Halo 2 hit. I just took a look at the Gamesrankings.com list for the PS2, and within the top 200, I came up with these exclusive titles:

God of War
Katamari Damacy
Metal Gear Solid 3
Ratchet and Clank
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Jak and Daxter
Jak II
Jak 3
Ico
Sly Cooper
Sly 2: Band of Theives
Onimusha: Warlords
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
Onimusha 3: Demon Seige
Devil May Cry 3

I freaking love platformers and third person action titles. For the life of me, I can't figure out why I haven't picked a PS2 up sooner. I'm thinking it may be worth picking a PS2 up and playing it for a year, then hocking it when the PS3 hits.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 09:32:49 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but holy crap, I really want a PS2 right now, much more than I wanted an Xbox a few months back when Halo 2 hit. I just took a look at the Gamesrankings.com list for the PS2, and within the top 200, I came up with these exclusive titles:

God of War
Katamari Damacy
Metal Gear Solid 3
Ratchet and Clank
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Jak and Daxter
Jak II
Jak 3
Ico
Sly Cooper
Sly 2: Band of Theives
Onimusha: Warlords
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
Onimusha 3: Demon Seige
Devil May Cry 3

I freaking love platformers and third person action titles. For the life of me, I can't figure out why I haven't picked a PS2 up sooner. I'm thinking it may be worth picking a PS2 up and playing it for a year, then hocking it when the PS3 hits.

Even more than my xbox, which I am a rabid defender and fan of, I love the PS2. It is simply the best system I have ever purchased when games and longevity are factored in. I will faithfully buy the PS3 AND the XBoxNext.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 09:33:54 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
Clank was always obnoxious and I hated any segment where you were forced to play him.  Good riddance, I say.

Of course, if these upcoming games are MOTS as the other three games in each respective series have been, (well, 2 games for Sly), I probably won't be buying them til they hit the $20 mark.  Sorry, folks... 10-hour expansion packs ain't worth $40-$50, no matter what series it's in.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 09:37:11 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Of course, if these upcoming games are MOTS as the other three games in each respective series have been, (well, 2 games for Sly), I probably won't be buying them til they hit the $20 mark.  Sorry, folks... 10-hour expansion packs ain't worth $40-$50, no matter what series it's in.

Have you even read the thread?  Ratchet: Deadlocked is a squad based shooter and Jak X is a vehicle combat game.  Sly 3 is the only that could remotely be characters as MOTS.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 10:17:54 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Have you even read the thread?  Ratchet: Deadlocked is a squad based shooter and Jak X is a vehicle combat game.  Sly 3 is the only that could remotely be characters as MOTS.
I have, Kevin, but I don't have much faith in RD being much different from the other three R&Cs.  I'm afraid the segments in UYA where you provide backup for those cowardly robots could classify as 'squad based combat.'  Jak's different enough, then again, the series has been more willing to shake up the formula than R&C has, arguably because Jak is the inferior series.

I mean, if RD turns out to have commandable, upgradable cohorts, that's one thing and could be pretty cool if the single player is robust.  I'm just afraid it's going to be mindless henchmen following you through the same once-cool-but-now-getting-old mechanics of things like magnet boots, a coliseum, a massive but very repetitive gathering map, a map that's a really small planet so the horizon curves alot and it's disorienting, etc.

And I say this because I feel like R&C:UYA's single-player was shovelware.  Yes, I know UYA also had a multiplayer mode, but honestly,  it's hard to be really into muliplayer because apparently no one's playing it.  Plus it didn't have bots, so there wasn't a skirmish mode or anything.

I paid $30, I think, for Going Commando.  That was worth it--in fact, I'd say Going Commando was worth it at $40, or whatever it retailed for when it was launched.  However, I paid $20 for UYA, and ended up feeling like I just barely got my money's worth.  I'd have been mega-pissed if I paid in full for it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 11:31:08 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
Clank was always obnoxious and I hated any segment where you were forced to play him.  Good riddance, I say.

HE WAS NOT EITHER OBNOXIOUS!!!! WAAUUUUGH!!!! GIANT CLANK RULES!!!!! (goes off to find a cliff to jump off of...)

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 11:52:22 PM »

The EGM article makes it pretty explicit this is entirely new gameplay for Ratchet- a true squad based shooter, not a rehash of the RTS style levels from UYA.  There really doesn't seem to be any platforming at all.  Although I disagree with your assessment of UYA- I thought it was the best of the series and well worth every penny.
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2005, 11:53:11 PM »

shovelware? ratchet & clank 2 and 3 were both long (15-20 hours) unless your an uber-gamer or a cheater. jak 2 was over 20 hours. jak 3 was a little longer than the original. you sir, i believe to be FREAKIN' HIGH.

true they are more of the same but for those of us that love these series that's what we want. i'd prefer a real ratchet and jak sequel than these two side projects used to fill the final year of the PS2's life.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 01:15:56 AM »

Quote from: "weeskwee"
shovelware? ratchet & clank 2 and 3 were both long (15-20 hours) unless your an uber-gamer or a cheater. jak 2 was over 20 hours. jak 3 was a little longer than the original. you sir, i believe to be FREAKIN' HIGH.

true they are more of the same but for those of us that love these series that's what we want. i'd prefer a real ratchet and jak sequel than these two side projects used to fill the final year of the PS2's life.
R&C 2 was the best, in my opinion.  I didn't feel like it was shovelware.  I did, however, get that impression in 3.

As for time... I think my final played time for UYA was 12 or 13 hours.  All weapons were in their final forms.  I just tore through that game, and I'm not entirely sure how.  R&C2 took me over 20 hours to both complete and max out all the weapons.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 03:37:33 PM »

This is really disappointing for me. So, we'll get Jak Nitro Kart racing or something? I thought the car racing was the least fun part of Jak 3 , so I'll be skipping this game.

The Ratchet game doesn't sound that appealing either, but I'll keep an open mind. About the only one I'm really interested in is the new Sly Cooper game, but I hope they go back to focusing more on platforming than these humungous open-ended environnments. Oh, and they should bring back the unlockable deveoper commentaries too.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 06:17:34 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
This is really disappointing for me. So, we'll get Jak Nitro Kart racing or something? I thought the car racing was the least fun part of Jak 3 , so I'll be skipping this game.

I don't think its a kart racer.  Its supposed to be vehilce combat in arena type environtments so its probably closer to Twisted Metal than Mario Kart or Crash Nitro.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2005, 07:15:13 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

The Ratchet game doesn't sound that appealing either, but I'll keep an open mind. About the only one I'm really interested in is the new Sly Cooper game, but I hope they go back to focusing more on platforming than these humungous open-ended environnments.

Same here... While I enjoyed Sly 2, Sly 1 was just *better*, somehow.  I didn't care for the GTA-ification of the sequel either.  Non-linear gameplay isn't always a good thing.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2005, 02:12:06 AM »

IGN just posted previews of all three titles.

Ratchet is definitely not like the previous games.  Seems to be focusing on arena combat with the single player portion really only a stepping stone to the multiplayer which will probably be the focus of the game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: