http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 12:53:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ps2 on hdtv  (Read 1976 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2005, 02:31:56 PM »

No I still haven't gotten a ps2. I have been thinking though, my Xbox, with the proper cables looks so much better than my game cube which has only composite. Since the HD cable costs about as much as a used gamecube sells for, I'm not really driven to get a set. Which leads me to ask the question about the ps2. Does the ps2 have hdtv cables and how does it look with them?

adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »

Where do you find such cheap GameCubes? GC component cables are only available through the Nintendo webstore, and cost around $30 (if they're not back-ordered and your GC even has the component-out plug). PS2 component cables are between $10-$30. Both systems are measurably improved with component cables.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 07:08:34 PM »

Nintendo hasn't had them in stock for a long time and it appear they may never carry them again. They go for $70+ on Ebay. Close to the $79 used price at EB

Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 09:29:34 PM »

Just to let you know, I ordered some GC component cables from Nintendo.com in late December. Just got an email the other day saying that they had been shipped out. Haven't got them yet, but they're coming. Also, my order said backorder when it was shipped. Who knows, you may be able to get them now.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 09:47:44 PM »

The issue with the component cables is a lack of progressive scan support.  Only relatively small fraction of games support 480p.  Those games will see a huge improvement with component cables.  The majority, which are 480i, will only show marginal improvements at best over S-Video.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 11:32:17 PM »

Resident evil 4 looks amazing with those cables! I got mine last year and waited about a month to get them. It was worth it though.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 12:22:45 AM »

Of course, you have to have one of the 'older' GameCubes that still has the Digital AV port. Mine doesn't.  :cry:

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 12:38:42 AM »

Rob I just ordered the component cube cables and they've allready shipped regardless of what Nintendo's site says, the cables are there..

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 07:49:38 AM »

I just got component cables for my PS2 and was really surprised and pleased by the improvement in quality.
I've had this TV for years, and I had no idea it had component cables! WOOHOO!

PSN ID: EduardoX
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 01:54:42 PM »

As mentioned above, not too many PS2 games use HD (or, rather, 480p) but those that do look great. Gran Turismo IV is going to use 1080i, and from what I've read it looks amazing.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 04:27:03 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Gran Turismo IV is going to use 1080i, and from what I've read it looks amazing.

I have my doubts as to whether or not that's actually true.  IGN is the only place reporting that, which flies in the face of every other previous preview that said that they weren't even able to get 480p working well.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 05:02:49 PM »

Quote from: "MonkeyFinger"
Of course, you have to have one of the 'older' GameCubes that still has the Digital AV port. Mine doesn't.  :cry:

From what I remember way back when, Nintendo would exchange your Gamecube upon request with one that has the Digital AV port.

Might as well give it a try if you're interested. Worst thing they can say is no. biggrin

And the Gamecube looks SO much better in Progressive...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 05:09:49 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Gran Turismo IV is going to use 1080i, and from what I've read it looks amazing.

I have my doubts as to whether or not that's actually true.  IGN is the only place reporting that, which flies in the face of every other previous preview that said that they weren't even able to get 480p working well.

This review confirms it as well.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 07:23:33 PM »

Nah, its been confirmed by lots of sources outside of IGN (who wasn't even first with the news).  The game has already been released in Japan and plenty of people have played it and been able to confirm the 1080i support.  I know, it sounds too amazing to be true...
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 08:40:58 PM »

Ah... well, that's very cool - I didn't think the PS2 had that kind of horsepower.  I guess those delays were worthwhile... did they manage to add in internet play or not?
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005, 09:05:52 PM »

Nope.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2005, 10:33:26 PM »

I was going to post a picture of my brand new 42 inch Sony Grand Wega widescreen projection LCD, man that's a mouthful... but my camera's batteries just died and I don't have a flash card reader... soon though...

It's very pretty to see with the cube cables in Prog. Scan. Took exactly one week to get me my cables, despite the site saying they were backordered until wednesday....

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 04:07:07 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
From what I remember way back when, Nintendo would exchange your Gamecube upon request with one that has the Digital AV port.

I was wondering if that was what they were hinting at when I found this in the 'Important Note' section of the Component cables store page:

Quote from: "The Nintendo Store"
Nintendo GameCube Component Video Questions

The Digital A/V Output port was removed from systems produced after May, 2004 (these systems will have a model number of DOL-101). If you have a Nintendo GameCube without this port, and you wish to play your games in progressive scan, please call our Consumer Service department at 1-800-255-3700, to discuss available options.

Additional Information:

Why have you removed the component video feature from the Nintendo GameCube?
On newer models of the Nintendo GameCube, we opted to remove the digital A/V out port from the system because we found that less than one percent of all Nintendo GameCube players used this feature.

Will future Nintendo GameCube games continue to have the progressive scan feature?
About one-third of licensee-published titles and over 90% of Nintendo-published titles currently have the progressive scan feature. We expect that most Nintendo-published titles will continue to support progressive scan. Each licensee will continue to make the decision of whether or not to include this feature in their future games.

Would be cool if they'd swap them for the 'less than one percent' of us that want to take advantage of that feature.  Guess I'll just have to ask them! :wink:

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 04:16:34 AM »

Ah... well, that's very cool - I didn't think the PS2 had that kind of horsepower.  I guess those delays were worthwhile... did they manage to add in internet play or not?

No, that was permanently put to rest well before the last release date was announced (the one before Feb. 22nd).  There have been rumors of another release with online on it (with the possibility of it being $49.99) or that they will save it for GT5 on the new Playstation.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 05:10:47 PM »

Quote from: "MonkeyFinger"
Would be cool if they'd swap them for the 'less than one percent' of us that want to take advantage of that feature.  Guess I'll just have to ask them! :wink:

Oh, and Nintendo? The reason that there is 'less than one percent' is because YOU DON'T OFFER THE FUCKING CABLES AT ANY RETAILER OTHER THAN YOUR OWN!!!!!

NOBODY even KNOWS that the Gamecube offers Progressive Scan because of this!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: