http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 02:06:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS2 JRPG's  (Read 2423 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2007, 03:05:04 PM »

So Persona 3 has me completely hooked!!  In the past, the few JRPG's i've played held my interest for only a few hours.   I didn't like the combat of Wild Arms.   Final Fantasy seemed too complex for me.   Nothing really captured my attention like Persona has.   So much so that i'm determined to spend more time with some of the better and well received JRPG's.  Plus, playing them on my PS3 on my 71" HDTV is awesome too.

So today i've added a few games to my Gamefly Game Q, but i need some other recommendations.   So far what i've added is Devil Summoner, Odin Sphere, and Valkyrie Profile 2.  Was really set on Blue Dragon, but i wanna get some of the PS2 games a shot first.

What i really like about Persona 3 and what i'd like in other games are it's simplicity.   I don't mind a learning curve and something with a challenge, but i really dislike have to spend 10 hours to figure out the mechanics of a game.   Something along the lines of easy to play but hard to master.   Story is good, but i can do without anything really epic as long as it's "fun".

So what about what i've added to my Q and what else should i look at renting?  Any other suggestions?

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:07:50 PM »

I think that Dragon Quest 8 is the best JRPG for the PS2. It's just incredible, and very user friendly (though it does include a TINY bit of level grinding).

PSN ID: EduardoX
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 03:12:32 PM »

Shadow Hearts Covenant- there is a lot of depth and variety but it's slowly introduced so you shouldn't be overwhelmed at the beginning. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »

If you're looking for simple, definitely check out Dragon Quest VIII.  It's about as simple as it gets, both in gameplay and story.  I thought the first couple Shadow Hearts games were fairly simple as well, but ymmv.  Might want to give Dark Cloud 2 a try as well.  It's more action-RPG, but still a quality game.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 03:23:40 PM »

simple, & pretty (& lots of fun, tho no one else up here thinks so): radiata stories. if you're enjoying the 'hanging out' parts of p3, especially...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 03:33:45 PM »

ok, added DQ8 and Shadow Hearts.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 05:17:08 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 28, 2007, 03:14:05 PM

Might want to give Dark Cloud 2 a try as well.  It's more action-RPG, but still a quality game.

Dude.  He wants games that have simplicity.

"First you have to learn how you can invent things.  Oh and you have to learn how to take pictures.  And now you get to learn how to play golf in a RPG.  An RPG?  Yes now shut up.  Now we're going to switch characters on you and you'll play a girl who uses magic and a sword instead of a boy with a wrench and a gun.  Now you are piloting a giant robot which you have to maintain and fuel.  Now you have to figure out how to spectrumize every freaking item you find to bind it to your weapon so it can level up.  Now you have to learn fishing.  Got all that?  Now you have to basically rebuild the fucking world building by building."
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 05:34:36 PM »

Quote from: warning on August 28, 2007, 05:17:08 PM

Might want to give Dark Cloud 2 a try as well.  It's more action-RPG, but still a quality game.

"First you have to learn how you can invent things.  Oh and you have to learn how to take pictures.  And now you get to learn how to play golf in a RPG.  An RPG?  Yes now shut up.  Now we're going to switch characters on you and you'll play a girl who uses magic and a sword instead of a boy with a wrench and a gun.  Now you are piloting a giant robot which you have to maintain and fuel.  Now you have to figure out how to spectrumize every freaking item you find to bind it to your weapon so it can level up.  Now you have to learn fishing.  Got all that?  Now you have to basically rebuild the fucking world building by building."

lol, who said that quote?

DC2 is a fantastic game...but I agree it's certainly not simplistic haha
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 06:21:37 PM »

icon_lol  I didn't remember it as being overly complex, but apparently my memory is failing in my old age.  Then again, it has been a damn long time since I played it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »

I don't think it's a quote from anywhere, but it does describe Dark Cloud 2 to a key. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 06:56:11 PM »

Pfffff...If you were a Scottish, transsexual, gun-toting Witch, Engineer, you wouldn't find this RPG difficult at all.  icon_twisted

OK...OK...back on topic. A PS2 JPRG I really liked, but I'm sure I'll get flambayed for suggesting, is Star Ocean: Till the end of Time. It's an action-rpg that has a good interface which makes it quite easy to play. It also has a very good story and some nice visuals.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 06:59:58 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 28, 2007, 06:56:11 PM

OK...OK...back on topic. A PS2 JPRG I really liked, but I'm sure I'll get flambayed for suggesting, is Star Ocean: Till the end of Time. It's an action-rpg that has a good interface which makes it quite easy to play. It also has a very good story and some nice visuals.

SO3's great but with my standard caveat for this game- the first five or so hours is awful and not representative of the 70+ hours of greatness to follow.  I'm almost permanently shelved the game because it was literally putting me to sleep but decided to play it one more time and almost immediately got hooked. 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 07:02:38 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on August 28, 2007, 05:34:36 PM

lol, who said that quote?

Yours truly.   icon_biggrin
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 07:09:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 28, 2007, 06:59:58 PM

Quote from: kronovan on August 28, 2007, 06:56:11 PM

SO3's great but with my standard caveat for this game- the first five or so hours is awful and not representative of the 70+ hours of greatness to follow.  I'm almost permanently shelved the game because it was literally putting me to sleep but decided to play it one more time and almost immediately got hooked. 

Agreed, the 1st 5 hours are a bit of a trudge thru a manure marsh, but the rest of the game makes it well worth the while.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 07:40:24 PM »

I'd say Final Fantasy X is simple.  The turn-based battle system is very basic, and the game's linearity means you shouldn't get lost.  Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are more complex than Persona 3, but familiarity with Persona 3 should help with that.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 07:46:29 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 28, 2007, 07:40:24 PM

Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are more complex than Persona 3, but familiarity with Persona 3 should help with that.

Yeah, Persona 3 is like the gateway drug into SMT.  It really helps to learn the basics like demon types and spell names (which confuse the crap outta me).  I think from an accessibility standpoint it's probably best to tackle the SMT games in reverse order from when they were released this gen:

1) Persona 3
2) Devil Summoner
3) Digital Devil Saga
4) Nocturne
depward

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 07:52:35 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 28, 2007, 07:46:29 PM

Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are more complex than Persona 3, but familiarity with Persona 3 should help with that.

Yeah, Persona 3 is like the gateway drug into SMT.  It really helps to learn the basics like demon types and spell names (which confuse the crap outta me).  I think from an accessibility standpoint it's probably best to tackle the SMT games in reverse order from when they were released this gen:

1) Persona 3
2) Devil Summoner
3) Digital Devil Saga
4) Nocturne
Very well said and I totally agree.  Devil Summoner is a departure from the series... but it's definitely more accessible than DDS1 + 2 and Nocturne.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 08:10:18 PM »

Final Fantasy X and XII. For sure, absolutely. Then Shadow Hearts Covenant, maybe Dark Cloud 2, maybe Kingdom Hearts, I refuse to recommend DQ8 though.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 08:54:21 PM »

It really helps to learn the basics like demon types and spell names (which confuse the crap outta me).

What, you can't tell Megidolaon from Maragidyne or Tarukaja from Sukukaja? icon_biggrin  It's confusing at first, but it ends up really helping to make the series unique.  The spell names are like their own little language, with pre- and suffixes added on to make new spells.

Also, if you're going to play Shadow Hearts : Covenant, definitely play the original Shadow Hearts first.  Covenant is a direct sequel, and you'll miss out on a lot of the story's impact if you don't.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:56:23 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 09:02:36 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 28, 2007, 08:54:21 PM

It really helps to learn the basics like demon types and spell names (which confuse the crap outta me).

What, you can't tell Megidolaon from Maragidyne or Tarukaja from Sukukaja? icon_biggrin  It's confusing at first, but it ends up really helping to make the series unique.  The spell names are like their own little language, with pre- and suffixes added on to make new spells.

Yeah, it's not really any worse than Final Fantasy but I've been playing that series for so long that it's second nature.  I decided with Persona 3 that I was going to make a concerted effort to learn the spell names once and for all.  I was almost "studying" the other night, repeating the suffixes and prefixes to myself trying to commit them to memory.  I get tired of going to the strat guide everytime I see a new spell listed. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 09:07:42 PM »

Quote from: depward on August 28, 2007, 07:52:35 PM

1) Persona 3
2) Devil Summoner
3) Digital Devil Saga
4) Nocturne
Very well said and I totally agree.  Devil Summoner is a departure from the series... but it's definitely more accessible than DDS1 + 2 and Nocturne.

nocturne was so overwhelming at first, that i went and bought the strat guide.  seeing that and how much time the game would suck up pretty much killed any momentum going in. 

dark cloud 2 also sits in a similar category.  when i hear someone say "i spent over 200 hours in dc2" i find it much harder to get going. 

not sure what changed about me, but my devotion to long rpg's has been declining for a long time.  not since the 99 hours i put into ff7 an age ago have i played any one game for so long.

i might recommend dc1 over dc2 just because the world building aspect is toned down. 

surprised noone has mentioned the xenosaga games.   icon_twisted

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 09:30:02 PM »

Devil Summoner is shipping from Gamefly today.   I've been seeing this at my local Gamestop for $20 over the weekend and was really tempted to buy because the packaging was so nice looking.   Hopefully this will be a nice addition to Persona 3.

I got DQ8, Shadow Hearts, Valkyrie Profile 2, and Odin Sphere in my future Q.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 05:52:38 PM »

Well i got Devil Summoner in the mail today and put just an hour in so far.   Here are my brief initial impressions and questions...

First, i'm really disappointed in the lack of voice acting.   I don't mind reading during the actual gameplay, but even cut scenes not having voice acting is a killer.   Not sure if i can get through a 20/30 hour game with no voice acting.   I sure hope the gameplay can carry me through that.

Secondly, moving onto gameplay.   I just got onto the streets and i've had a couple random encounters.   Combat seems like it will be fun.   Being able to capture numerous demons and use at your side is a cool idea.   However, these random attacks are annoying.   I walk 5 feet and i get attacked right on the sidewalk in the middle of the day?   Again, if this is typical of the combat throughout the game, not sure i can deal with that for 30 hours.

So i definitely plan to give it a few more hours before i can make a solid decision on whether to keep it or send it back to GF.   The annoyances i've mentioned above (such a random encounters and lack of voice acting) are definitely cons to me, but we'll see.   I do like the combat and the story seems like it might be engaging.   We'll see how it goes after about 10 hours or so.

I still have Odin Sphere, Valkyrie Profile 2, DQ8, and Shadow Hearts in my GF que.   So if this doesn't pan out, i got a few more things to turn to.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 06:00:33 PM »

Well looks like Odin Sphere just shipped from GF so i'll have it by Tuesday, just in time to see whether i'll keep Devil Summoner or not.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on August 31, 2007, 05:52:38 PM

Secondly, moving onto gameplay.   I just got onto the streets and i've had a couple random encounters.   Combat seems like it will be fun.   Being able to capture numerous demons and use at your side is a cool idea.   However, these random attacks are annoying.   I walk 5 feet and i get attacked right on the sidewalk in the middle of the day?   Again, if this is typical of the combat throughout the game, not sure i can deal with that for 30 hours.

Welcome to SMT.  The series is notorious for having a high random encounter rate.  Persona 3 is an oddball in that area for having significant gameplay portions without enemy encounters as well as showing the enemy encounters on the actual mapscreen.

Nocturne doesn't have voice acting either so you might want to avoid that one.  Digital Devil Saga has really good VA though. 
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 06:20:48 PM »

Ya i'm not sure i can play an entire game with no voice acting.   Plus the numerous random encounters might prove to be too much too.   

Persona 3 has definitely spoiled me some.

Looking forward to giving Odin Sphere a shot next week.   Anyone comment about that game?   What to expect?   Pros and cons?

depward

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 07:02:50 PM »

Odin Sphere is a very different kind of a game.  Great voice acting (though, the first character - Gwendolyn - is probably one of the poorest voices in the game).  OK music.  Very nice artistic style.  Gameplay wise, it's very different from what you've ever played (unless you played Princess Crown...).  You'll see once you start playing   icon_biggrin

Sucks about your no voice acting comment - you'll definitely want to skip Nocturne then.  Not only are random encounters probably worse in that than Devil Summoner, but no voice acting as well.

P3 REALLY has spoiled you.  It really is a deviant from the other SMT-branded games.  Even though DDS has voice acting, it does have that SMT-encounter rate - might want to unfortunately skip that   icon_neutral

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 07:42:11 PM »

Quote from: depward on August 31, 2007, 07:02:50 PM

Odin Sphere is a very different kind of a game.  Great voice acting (though, the first character - Gwendolyn - is probably one of the poorest voices in the game).  OK music.  Very nice artistic style.  Gameplay wise, it's very different from what you've ever played (unless you played Princess Crown...).  You'll see once you start playing   icon_biggrin

Sucks about your no voice acting comment - you'll definitely want to skip Nocturne then.  Not only are random encounters probably worse in that than Devil Summoner, but no voice acting as well.

P3 REALLY has spoiled you.  It really is a deviant from the other SMT-branded games.  Even though DDS has voice acting, it does have that SMT-encounter rate - might want to unfortunately skip that   icon_neutral

Is it a deviant or does it deviate????  icon_wink
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 09:36:38 PM »

Well i'm just excited about trying out different things.   Might like some......might hate some.....that's why i'm renting them all.

Looking forward to Odin Sphere next week.   

I had no idea there was no voice acting in Devil Summoner.   Like i said, i'll give it more time to see how it fits me.   I just can't see getting into a rpg when i have to read every word without there being any voice over.   Takes away from the atmosphere and experience for me (or so i think).

Will report back after more with Devil Summoner and Odin Sphere.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2007, 03:56:29 PM »

Well i gave Devil Summoner another hour and i just can't stomach it any further.   the lack of voice acting is a deal breaker for me.  i'm also not a big fan of the numerous random encounters.  the combat is fun and looks like something i would have grown to really like.   but the random encounters and no voice overs stopped me from continuing.

should be getting Odin Sphere Tuesday so i'm looking forward to that.   i'll send Devil Summoner back and grab something else to try out.   Got Valkyrie Profile 2 at the top of my Q.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007, 07:58:21 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 02, 2007, 03:56:29 PM

Well i gave Devil Summoner another hour and i just can't stomach it any further.   the lack of voice acting is a deal breaker for me.  i'm also not a big fan of the numerous random encounters.  the combat is fun and looks like something i would have grown to really like.   but the random encounters and no voice overs stopped me from continuing.

should be getting Odin Sphere Tuesday so i'm looking forward to that.   i'll send Devil Summoner back and grab something else to try out.   Got Valkyrie Profile 2 at the top of my Q.
Unfortunately X if you didn't like DS, you will NOT like Nocturne, DDS1, DDS2-the encounter rate is higher I believe in those games-its something that turned me off of them (although I only ever actually purchased DDS1 and 2.

Good luck on your rpg quest, I am always on the lookout too.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007, 08:36:38 PM »

I might give other SMT games a shot later, but for now i'm gonna try some other things.

My PS3 is getting alot of playtime thanks to the PS2 rpg's.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2007, 08:59:09 PM »

just out of interest...what kind of game is sherlock holmes?...point and click broken sword type game?...do you need a decent graphics card,memory etc?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2007, 04:23:11 PM »

And here I was all ready to fire up DC2 as my next "work in progress" RPG. smile I've completed a few other RPGs this year so I was feeling pretty good about getting started on that one as a sort of stress reliever. Apparently it's a stress causer. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2007, 05:51:16 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on September 03, 2007, 04:23:11 PM

And here I was all ready to fire up DC2 as my next "work in progress" RPG. smile I've completed a few other RPGs this year so I was feeling pretty good about getting started on that one as a sort of stress reliever. Apparently it's a stress causer. slywink

I wouldn't call DC2 as a stress causer. There's just a LOT of things you can do in the game (some of which is optional, some of which you need to do). But I could see how it would get stressful keeping track of it all (yes, I've played the game, no, I haven't finished it).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2007, 08:14:54 PM »

Dark Cloud 2 is one of the best games I've ever played.  I love the seldom-seen genre of city builder/action RPG, and DC2 is the best of them.  There is a lot to do, but it's all introduced with easy-to-follow tutorials, and much of the content is optional.  It's very well-designed, as it rewards those who spend a lot of time on the optional stuff, but doesn't punish you if you don't.  There's also Rogue Galaxy, a similar game made by the same developer, but without the city building.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2007, 08:21:55 PM »

Yeah it's a good game.  Probably even a great game.  It's just not a good game for someone wanting "simplicity" in a RPG.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2007, 09:16:27 PM »

Well i got Odin Sphere in the mail today and i've put about an hour in so far.

Let me first say, WoW!!  I really really like this game alot.   From the graphics, to combat, to cheesy story (and i love it), etc.   This looks to be a great game.

I really needed a break from Persona 3 because Tarturus was getting repetitive.  Odin Sphere has completely hit the spot.   Gonna give it a few more hours tonight and if it's as good as i've played thus far, it's definitely a keeper.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2007, 11:50:21 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 03, 2007, 08:21:55 PM

Yeah it's a good game.  Probably even a great game.  It's just not a good game for someone wanting "simplicity" in a RPG.
I have tried this game like 4 times-I just cannot get into the combat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: