http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 10:41:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS2 Hardware Question  (Read 935 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2005, 05:07:25 AM »

Well, after spending a half hour trying to get Killzone to work on my roomates 1 year old PS2, I've come to the conclusion that she may need to replace it thanks to that ever wonderful 'Cannot Read Disc' error that was all the rage on the bigger versions of the PS2.  Did they fix this problem with the newer, slimmer units?  Or  is it still an issue?  I'd rather not see any money spent on another unit if it's only going to go bad again in so short of a period of time.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 05:21:22 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Well, after spending a half hour trying to get Killzone to work on my roomates 1 year old PS2, I've come to the conclusion that she may need to replace it thanks to that ever wonderful 'Cannot Read Disc' error that was all the rage on the bigger versions of the PS2.  Did they fix this problem with the newer, slimmer units?  Or  is it still an issue?  I'd rather not see any money spent on another unit if it's only going to go bad again in so short of a period of time.

I have not had a single read error on my PSTwo, and I watch countless dvds on it and play many games-including Killzone (although I just loaded it up and shot some guns from where I had saved it months ago. I just got the GH version). So yeah, very happy with mine, ZERO disc errors since I bought it.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 06:01:58 AM »

If it was bought new a year ago I would bitch and moan big time with Sony about it.  I know it's outside the warranty on those older models, but they promise a year now on the little ones.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 07:06:39 AM »

Probably a dumb question but are you sure the problem is with the PS2 and not the disk?  Has this happened with any other games but Killzone?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 07:27:55 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Probably a dumb question but are you sure the problem is with the PS2 and not the disk?  Has this happened with any other games but Killzone?

Well, I tried 4 other discs (Dark Cloud 2, The Hobbit, The Urbz and Star Oceans) and had the same issue.  I am going to have the owner contact Sony and see what she can get from them before getting a new one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 04:13:47 PM »

I am going to have the owner contact Sony and see what she can get from them before getting a new one.

Unfortunately the only thing Sony is handing out on that one is the shaft.  It sounds like replacement time...a road I've travelled far too often.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Inky
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 08:35:20 PM »

if its a year old a she still has the receipt then it might still b elegible for a waranty depending on when she got it. although I'm not sure if the old ps2 warranty is the same as the slimline which is what i have and i know its a one year warranty.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 09:58:16 PM »

I've had my PS2 since launch and this started happening to me about 2 years ago.  I found that there are many tutorials on the net on cleaning the ps2 so thats what I did.  It involves opening the console and cleaning the lense.  If you dont feel comfortable doing it, many game stores will clean them for something like $15.00.  It may or may not solve the problem, but I think it would be worth spending $15 instead of buying a new system.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 05:10:01 PM »

NO, don't open the machine until you double check with Sony.  Most of the older PS2's, up to 4 for sure, maybe all the way to version 10 - will be fixed by Sony for the price of one-way shipping (they'll ship it back free).  This is all based on whether you have an intact warranty sticker, however.  If you've been the only owner, and you've never taken the case apart, then you should have one.  It's a rectangular, clearish sticker that covers the case joint by the power switch.  If that is there, intact, then call 1-800-345 SONY.  This is only for DRE's, so make sure you mention Disc Read Error - and don't take no for an answer!  

Try a search on Disc Read Error and Version - I have to leave now - maybe you'll hit on which versions are included.  

btw. it's V1 - 10 that are the older bigger models.  Here's how to identify your model:

#  10 case screws = Versions 1 through 3
model# 30000 and 8 case screws = Versions 4
model #'s 30001 and 8 case screws = Versions 4
35001 and 8 case screws = Versions 4
30002 and 8 case screws = Versions 4
35002 and 8 case screws = Versions 4
30003 and 8 case screws = Versions 4
35003 and 8 case screws = Versions 4
30004 and 8 case screws = Versions 4
35004 and 8 case screws = Versions 4
# All model numbers ending in "R" are Versions 5 or 6
# 39000 = Version 7
39001 = Version 7
39002 = Version 7
39003 = Version 7
39004 = Version 7
37000 = Version 7
# Any model with an infrared receiver between the reset and eject button = Version 9 or 10

Good Luck!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 05:17:22 PM »

And if you've already taken it apart (!), then don't spend money on a guide, I can email you the info or talk you through it.  And the video game repairs in my area are usually more like $25 to $40... so check, don't assume.

Also, there are two lenses to clean - not one - cleaning one will affect silver discs and the other will affect blue ones (i can tell you later which is which - Yikes, I have to get out of here!) The second lens is under the first one, and  is very, very tricky so be careful!  :shock:

If you hear any funny noises at all, like grinding or clicking, then it may  have nothing at all to do with the lens, btw.

bye!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: