http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 07:59:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS2 and 16:9  (Read 1470 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2006, 11:41:07 PM »

I decided to actually play a PS2 game today and it is the first time I have done so since getting my widescreen HDTV.  I went into games like Ratchet and Clank 2 and Dragon Quest VIII and chose the 16:9 option, but when I do so, it doesn't fill the screen.  It fact, there appears to be no difference between the two options.  I even went into the PS2 options themselves and set it to 16:9 (it has options of 4:3, full, and 16:9) and none of them seem to give me a screen where the image goes out to the edges.  Am I doing something wrong or is 16:9 on a PS2 not what 16:9 in a movie or on my 360 is?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 11:43:00 PM »

I had the same problem before.  Perhaps it's a game compatibility issue, although I'm pretty sure I tried it in 16:9 in the PS2 menu and in a game menu before.  Sorry, no help here, but you may cry on my shoulder.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 12:00:56 AM »

Is your TV set to display in wide screen mode? On my TV, HD content (720p, 1080i) defaults to full widescreen. For 480i and 480p content I have to manually set my TV to wide screen.
Americanidle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 12:00:59 AM »

Interesting..until I saw your post I had not given any thought to playing PS2 games on my newer hdtv. I manually choose progressive mode if that is an option but I have never had to manually choose 16x9 for any of them. They all have used the entire screen and I have not noticed any stretching.
That is rather odd. The majority of my non-hd cable channels obviously cut off the sides. I have the option to expand the view or even upconvert to 1080i but with the PS2 games, I have not had to do anything.

Actually, maybe I did go into the PS2 main options and set that there....can't remember now.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 12:18:12 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Is your TV set to display in wide screen mode? On my TV, HD content (720p, 1080i) defaults to full widescreen. For 480i and 480p content I have to manually set my TV to wide screen.

I have a Sony TV.  I put it to Full and it takes it out to Widescreen, but I can do that with any 4:3 signal as well.  It works fine with DVDs, but I watch them through the 360, so that might be why I don't have to do this.  Is setting my TV to Full instead of Normal the same as displaying it in 16:9?  I just assumed it stretched the image and like I said, I can do that even with things in 4:3.  Also, when I do things on my 360, if I press the button that cycles through the different viewing modes like Full, Zoom, Wide Zoom, and Normal, nothing happens when I press that button the 360.  However, on the PS2, it lets me cycle through all those modes, like it is passing everything as 4:3 and just letting me stretch the PS2 image.

One problem I have is I can't figure out if there is a way for my TV to tell me what mode it is in as far as 480p, 720p, etc.  I have tried pushing pretty much every button on the remote and haven't even seen it display what mode it is currently displaying in.

My TV is a Sony 32" Wega CRT, if anyone has the same TV.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 12:30:37 AM »

Even more bizarre.  I put a DVD into the PS2 to see what it would do.  It shows 4:3 as well and is interlaced.  I went to the options you can bring up while watching a DVD and it shows my TV is 4:3 and I can't change it to progressive scan, either.  So, for some reason the PS2 sees it as 4:30 non-progressive, even though I am using component cables and plugged into a 16:9 HDTV.

Edit:  Well, I figured out the DVD thing in that I can now change it to be Progressive Scan and 16:9 for DVDs, but it still displays them so that they don't fill up my screen.

This is frustrating.  Why would this not work with a Sony TV?  Seems they would have tested this fairly easily. smile

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 12:56:16 AM »

Okay, I think I have this figured out.  I guess my TV must be native 720p and so since the PS2 is 480p, I have to choose Full to get it to take up the whole screen.  With the 360 set at 480p, I was able to cycle through the screen modes, just like on the PS2.  Then when I put it back to 720p, I could not cycle through anymore.  So, I guess this is just the way it is and I have to switch to Full when playing the PS2.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 04:46:11 AM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
Okay, I think I have this figured out.  I guess my TV must be native 720p and so since the PS2 is 480p, I have to choose Full to get it to take up the whole screen.  With the 360 set at 480p, I was able to cycle through the screen modes, just like on the PS2.  Then when I put it back to 720p, I could not cycle through anymore.  So, I guess this is just the way it is and I have to switch to Full when playing the PS2.

720p and 1080i are wide screen fornats, so your TV will automatically display it in wide screen. 480i/480p are 4:3 formats, so my TV defaults to showing them "pillar boxed" with bars down the sides, unless I set the TV not to.

Under component video, there's no way for a TV and output device (like a PS2 or DVD player) to query each other to determine what format they are. So unfortunately you have to manually set both the TV and the device to the proper screen aspect ratio.

On the original Xbox, you set this in the console settings and each game checks the settings and chooses the proper aspect ratio. On the PS2, you have to set the aspect ratio on a game-by-game basis.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 09:11:04 AM »

I got DWVIII a few weks back and was finally testing it out. i set it to 16:9 on my widescreen and it did end up taking the whole screen.  Again no help, but that's my experience.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 12:17:22 PM »

720p and 1080i are wide screen fornats, so your TV will automatically display it in wide screen. 480i/480p are 4:3 formats, so my TV defaults to showing them "pillar boxed" with bars down the sides, unless I set the TV not to.

Under component video, there's no way for a TV and output device (like a PS2 or DVD player) to query each other to determine what format they are. So unfortunately you have to manually set both the TV and the device to the proper screen aspect ratio.

On the original Xbox, you set this in the console settings and each game checks the settings and chooses the proper aspect ratio. On the PS2, you have to set the aspect ratio on a game-by-game basis.

Sounds like a better explanation than mine. smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 03:31:29 PM »

That's exactly what I need to do with my PS2 in order to get widescreen. Very nice explanation, BTW.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 06:19:41 PM »

Have you tried editing the PS2 options before you start the game or DVD?

PSN ID: EduardoX
MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 06:24:02 PM »

i have the same problem with Jarrod's hdtv on ps2 games.

i was playing KH2 the other day, and even though the ps2 is now set to 16:9, it didn't display properly; i had to manually set the tv to one of its widescreen views (which has a bad tendency to trim the edges of the screen a little, which any KH fan knows gets rid of the HELP bar at the top; for KH2 it also gets rid of the DRIVE/LIMIT option in the command window and can trim off the MP bar, even).

i'm not sure if it's to do with the games or the tvs, but i don't think it's the ps2 itself.

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 06:39:37 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"

AFAIK, setting widescreen in the PS2 options only affects the display of the memory card and disk browser screens. Games don't check this setting.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 06:46:55 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"

AFAIK, setting widescreen in the PS2 options only affects the display of the memory card and disk browser screens. Games don't check this setting.

I also mentioned in my post that I went in and set that to 16:9.  Eduardo's reading comprehension FTL. Tongue

Andrew's explanation is the one that makes most sense to me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: