http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:22:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS2...about that backwards compatability thing...  (Read 2159 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2005, 02:49:16 PM »

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000980064424/

Woops!  Looks like ~40 PS1 titles and 7ish PS2 titles are not compatable.  You'd figure this would get caught in the QA process, yes?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 05:20:06 PM »

Now that's just weird. I know that there's a handful of PS1 titles that don't work on the original PS2 (and the dual-shock controller as well), but I never knew the number was that big.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 05:25:18 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Now that's just weird. I know that there's a handful of PS1 titles that don't work on the original PS2 (and the dual-shock controller as well), but I never knew the number was that big.

It wasn't, originally.  IIRC, The  compatibility list for the first model PS2 only had around ~10 PS1 games that either wouldn't work or had issues.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 06:25:37 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

It wasn't, originally.  IIRC, The  compatibility list for the first model PS2 only had around ~10 PS1 games that either wouldn't work or had issues.

This is correct...from what I understand, those 10 titles weren't even properly liscenced by Sony to play on the PS1...they had been released without Sony's permission and hadn't gone through Q&A there.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 06:47:11 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"

This is correct...from what I understand, those 10 titles weren't even properly liscenced by Sony to play on the PS1...they had been released without Sony's permission and hadn't gone through Q&A there.

Wasn't one of them one of the Final Fantasy compilations for the PSX?  I'd find it hard to believe they weren't licensed by Sony.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 07:12:36 PM »

Wow, Tekken 5. That's a biggie.

My smile still stays on.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 06:56:22 PM »

Quote from: "O.DOGG"
Wow, Tekken 5. That's a biggie.

Apparently Tekken 5 plays fine. The compatibility issue is with Tekken 3, which is included as a bonus on the disk.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 08:04:21 PM »

Hmm. Still a fairly glaring QA lapse, but I guess not that suprising.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 11:53:27 PM »

Maybe it is just me, but this entire compatibility issue is mute. How many people are buying the latest system to play an old game? If you have the old games you have the old system. Yes it would be nice to buy the new system and play some older games if you did not have the previous system or sell the old system and keep the games you like.
I just think there is to much emphasis put on this.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 12:01:23 AM »

Quote from: "crumsteel"
Maybe it is just me, but this entire compatibility issue is mute.

/grammar nazi

Moot.  The whole thing is moot.

Sorry, that's just one of my all-time biggest pet peeves.  Please continue.

/grammar nazi off

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 12:18:21 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"

/grammar nazi

/grammar nazi off

damnit... Gratch is always complaining... I need a moot button for him.
(come on everyone, join in the Gratch-Go-Boom game!! slywink )

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 01:59:01 AM »

/grammar nazi

/grammar nazi off

This one annoys the hell out of me too smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 08:49:22 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I've actually never seen someone screw up 'moot' versus 'mute.'

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 09:31:38 PM »

Hmm. Still a fairly glaring QA lapse, but I guess not that suprising.

Depends on what the issue is. I think when they say that 40 PS1 games have compatibility issues, they're saying 40 PS1 games have issues ranging from incovenient to perhaps unplayable. It's mu understanding that the issues with some of the games is that it simply takes longer to save to a memory card.

What bugs me about these news stories is how they blow it up in to the worst case, "OH NO! NEW PS2 DOESN"T WORK WITH BEST-SELLING GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!" It gives Sony and other manufacturers less of an incentive to be upfront and honest with consumers.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 09:34:59 PM »

/grammar nazi

/grammar nazi off

Since we've gone to Full Grammar Nazi mode, can I just add that it bugs me to no end when I see people use "per say"? Good God, people. It's "per sé".
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2005, 09:45:51 PM »

Maybe it is just me, but this entire compatibility issue is moot. How many people are buying the latest system to play an old game? If you have the old games you have the old system. Yes it would be nice to buy the new system and play some older games if you did not have the previous system or sell the old system and keep the games you like.
I just think there is to much emphasis put on this.

Honestly, that's why I bought a PS2 when it hit.  My PS1 was dying and I needed a new system.  I held out and got the PS2 as soon as possible (It was the GT3 package) because I didn't have to look back when using my 30 game PS1 library.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 10:14:06 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I've actually never seen someone screw up 'moot' versus 'mute.'

You have now biggrin
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2005, 07:31:35 PM »

I find it very amusing that when it was announced that the Xbox 360 wouldn't be fully backward compatible, the consensus was - oh, well.  

Now when people hear that a handful of PSOne and PS2 games won't be compatible on the PS3, it's the end of the world.

Can you say 'Xbox fanboys'?

...and yes, I realize that the original comment was about the newest version of the current PS2...

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2005, 07:39:13 PM »

Quote from: "Tustin1"
I find it very amusing that when it was announced that the Xbox 360 wouldn't be fully backward compatible, the consensus was - oh, well.  

Now when people hear that a handful of PSOne and PS2 games won't be compatible on the PS3, it's the end of the world.

Can you say 'Xbox fanboys'?

...and yes, I realize that the original comment was about the newest version of the current PS2...

If you realize that, then with all do respect, what the heck are you talking about? If you understand what the discussion is about, then posting what you just did sounds like either an attempt to bash the XBox, or do the "fanboy" trolling that is growing so tiresome everywhere.
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2005, 10:47:35 PM »

If you realize that, then with all do respect, what the heck are you talking about? If you understand what the discussion is about, then posting what you just did sounds like either an attempt to bash the XBox, or do the "fanboy" trolling that is growing so tiresome everywhere.

...because it is being bantied about all over the internet that because the 'new' version of the PS2 has problems with a few titles, that the PS3 will no doubt have a few compatibility issues as well.

I'm not trying to bash anybody or their console of choice but it's getting pretty ridiculous with all the speculating which has on the most part, IMO, been on the side of the Microsoft camp.  They were quoted today as saying the PS3 controller is "stupid looking" - brilliant criticism, give that boy a raise Bill.

It is unfortunate that not every title will be compatible with the newPS2 or most likely the PS3, but it is in no way as big a deal as it is being made out to be.  That was my point.

My Current Sig.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2005, 11:50:27 PM »

People screamed, gnashed their teeth, and undoubtedly cried when they heard that the 360 would have limited backwards-compatibility.  Sony touts the backwards compatibility and what a fantastic deal it offers the consumer.  So you can only expect the same backlash when it turns out your latest revision of the current hardware has issues with it.  One can only wonder if the same problems will arise on the PS3.  I think that is the whole point.  Sony fans continue to have fun at the continued questions regarding the 360's backwards compatibility and MS fans get a little taste of the other side.

Like you, I don't think it's that big a deal.  There are PS1 titles that don't work on the PS2.  The world kept spinning.

As for the PS3 controller...  It does look stupid.  Hell, it's pretty much made the transition from mere opinion to cold, hard fact by now. Please find somewhere that says otherwise!  That said, it might somehow play like a dream.  I haven't held one so I don't know.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2005, 12:32:51 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
As for the PS3 controller...  It does look stupid.  Hell, it's pretty much made the transition from mere opinion to cold, hard fact by now. Please find somewhere that says otherwise!  That said, it might somehow play like a dream.  I haven't held one so I don't know.

I still don't understand what the whole controller debate is all about - the controller is practically identical to the current one, only slightly more rounded and with longer handgrips.  It should play almost exactly like the current one - if anything, a little more comfortable.  Here's my tie in to this thread - the PS3 wont be backward compatible with the dual shock.

My Current Sig.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2005, 03:21:57 PM »

I still don't understand what the whole controller debate is all about - the controller is practically identical to the current one, only slightly more rounded and with longer handgrips.  It should play almost exactly like the current one - if anything, a little more comfortable.  Here's my tie in to this thread - the PS3 wont be backward compatible with the dual shock.

Just looking at the damn thing made my hands hurt.  Besides, I won't be able to play Zelda on a PS3 so what use is a boomerang?

Now, if the thing has force-feedback, and since Sony seems to be pushing all the uses of the system with the glaring exception of games, marketing it as a 'marital aid'  doesn't seem like something Sony would shy away from.... unibrow

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2005, 03:25:59 PM »

Actually, sony already said that there'd be an adapter for PS2 controllers and memory cards.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2005, 04:40:09 PM »

/grammar nazi

/grammar nazi off

Since we've gone to Full Grammar Nazi mode, can I just add that it bugs me to no end when I see people use "per say"? Good God, people. It's "per sé".

No.  It's per se.  No accent.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2005, 05:10:39 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
Actually, sony already said that there'd be an adapter for PS2 controllers and memory cards.

Cool - I must have missed that.  In that case, who cares what the new controller looks like.

My Current Sig.
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 04:57:15 PM »

They made a big deal about the 360 not being backwards compatible and that the PS3 was so I think it is only fair to talk about the PS3 maybe having issues with backwards compatibility. I am going to get each system and backwards compatibility is only a minor issue for me.  I also think the PS3 controller is ugly. I will have to wait till I see one in person to decide if I like it or not, but that wont have any influence on whether or not I buy the system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: