http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 04:13:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS1?  (Read 570 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2006, 05:26:46 PM »

How are these systems stability wise? Are they prone to fail like the 360s seem to be? And how cheap can they be had these days. I remember when they came out all the interesting RPGs it had for it. I always wanted to play Wild Arms.

Maybe a PS2 would be better since it plays all the PS1 stuff? Probably too expensive.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 05:55:15 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 05:29:31 PM »

Buy one of the PSOne/LCD combo packs.  Had for $30 or less and playing PS1 games on a 5" screen goes along way toward making the visuals more paletable. 

Otherwise, as long as you get the remodeled PSone (think PS2 slimline) you'll be fine for stability. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 05:43:09 PM »

I'd spend a bit more cash and get a slimline PS2. It'll play 99% of all PS1 games (and quite a few look and play better with the enhanced graphics and loading options) and any PS2 titles that catch your interest.

To answer your question though - the old PS1s were crap and were guarenteed to burn out after so many hours (cheap plastic holding the CD lens in place). The remade ones were much better in that aspect.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 05:52:09 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 29, 2006, 05:43:09 PM

I'd spend a bit more cash and get a slimline PS2. It'll play 99% of all PS1 games (and quite a few look and play better with the enhanced graphics and loading options) and any PS2 titles that catch your interest.

To answer your question though - the old PS1s were crap and were guarenteed to burn out after so many hours (cheap plastic holding the CD lens in place). The remade ones were much better in that aspect.

Yep.  I had to flip mine over to dissapate the heat.  I ended up opening it, modding it, and putting a heat dissapation block on it.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 10:50:32 PM »

i have an old PSX which is on its way to death - cinematic videos are stuttery, and it's failed to load a game once, so far.  based on the symptoms, the laser assembly is malfunctioning, which is apparently a common problem with these units
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 11:08:01 PM »

agreed. i got the system kevin's describing, & love it, but if you've got neither, & aren't looking for portability, the extra $ for a ps2 gives you access to so many more good games as to be well worth it...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 11:16:33 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 29, 2006, 05:52:09 PM

Yep.  I had to flip mine over to dissapate the heat.  I ended up opening it, modding it, and putting a heat dissapation block on it.  smile

You cheater you. Don't you know you're supposed to let your console break and rebuy another one? How else do you think that Sony got so many sales over the years?  icon_biggrin icon_wink

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: