http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 04:54:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS1 recommendations?  (Read 1567 times)
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2006, 03:51:23 PM »

I just picked up a brand new PS1 LCD screen system for my family and myself.

Can you guys recommend some games or series that I may like.

I'm not big on sports games. My kids are. However, they are mostly hooked on Nintendo and Mario type games.

I mostly enjoy games that are more story oriented. I have the original Silent Hill on order.

I am open to all suggestions. I am 45 years old if that makes a difference for any of your recommendations.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 04:02:49 PM »

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Best game on that system, IMHO.

You should also snag Final Fantasy 7 (FFVII) if you like RPGs, as it is a great game. I'd also recommend Final Fantasy Tactics. I miss that game.

Kings Field games were decent, and Twisted Metal games (2 was especially fun multiplayer).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 04:22:31 PM »

Which FF in the series was the first release for the PS1?

Would these games be appropriate for a 9 year old also?

Thanks for your recommendations so far.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 04:30:16 PM »

i got my lcd screen in the mail last friday and ive been playing ff6, due to the fact I never played it all the way through.  

Not to try and take over your thread but, are there any good RPGs that I might of missed, I have all the FF series, Lunar 1&2, Chrono Cross, and a few others.  Maybe some SRPG suggestions.

Goonch, FF7 was the first on PS1, but you can also get the ports of 1,2,4,5,6..  As for kids, FF7 isn't that bad I don't think, but honestly for a 9 year old I would recommend ff9 if you were going for a RPG.  

Also don't forget Metal Gear Solid for PS1 for yourself, great game.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 04:33:45 PM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"
...Not to try and take over your thread but, are there any good RPGs that I might of missed, ...

No problem with that weleavefossils...I dont' mind sharing the thread at all. The more the merrier biggrin .
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 08:09:30 PM »

Well, as for a couple of PSX games I enjoyed:

Persona 2 has been an enjoyable RPG thus far.  Keep in mind it's a spin-off of the Shin Megami Tensei games, so it has a pretty mature storyline.

Vagrant Story was a fun RPG.

Of course, my love for Valkyrie Profile knows no bounds.  But then again, with Silmeria (sp) for the ps2 coming out and the remake on the PSP, there's no need to shell out a load of money for it.

As far as SRPGs are concerned, the newly re-released Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure is a fun little romp.  It's essentially an SRPG that has musical numbers in it.  Yeah . . . it's weird . . . but I would think SRPG fans would enjoy it.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo for the PSX is a fun puzzle game.

There are others, but those are a couple I enjoyed.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 08:19:43 PM »

My favorite RPG has Chrono Cross, hands down. I loved FF's high production value, but the story, characters, and gameplay where all slightly better in Chrono Cross, at least in my opinion. But it might not be your cup of tea - I was kind of young when I last played it. The first Wild Arms was pretty damn fun, but I never played any of the sequels, so I can't make a good comparison here.

For non-RPG games, Crash Bandicoot (sp?) games were pretty good, and probably hold up on the test of time. Final Fantasy Tactics is a great PSOne game as well. Metal Gear Solid, of course. I'm having trouble of thinking of anything else - I actually just set up my PSOne for the younger siblings not too long ago, but it's mostly running kid's games at the moment.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 08:28:26 PM »

I think those games would be fine for a 9yr old. Most of Castlevania is monster fighting, and tales of gruesome monster killing has been in childrens stories for as long as I can remember. This game is the best iteration of the series BAR NONE. It is a must-have title.

The FF Tactics would be lost on a kid unless they enjoy stuff like checkers or chess, as really it is fundamentally a strategy game first, and an RPG after. Vandal Hearts is a more linear game with a more compelling story IMHO.

Breath of Fire series is also a great game (along the lines of RPG, BoF 3 is where your character can morph into many different dragons based on combinations of gems). Along with FFVII, it is pretty kid-safe.

Parappa the Rapper is one of the first successful rhythm games for the PS1 and was a lot of fun. It is very kid-friendly.There'a also Umm Lammer Jammy. (never played it myself)

If you'd like games for yourself (more adult titles) I'd suggest a few such as MGS1 (I wasn't a big fan but there are tons of people who love it) and Syphon Filter (a cop in the future hunting down crooks / terrorists). Vagrant Story and Legacy of Kain as well as Soul Reaver are also high on the Must-Play Teen rated games.

The gamingtrend DB doesn't have PS1 games, so I'd recommend Game Rankings.com

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 10:03:17 PM »

I will say though, time has not been kind to PS1 FPS or even 3rd person shooter games. To me, the textures are just painful to watch.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 10:53:44 PM »

Get the Syphon Filter series. Good story, great shooting.

There are so many good games for the Playstation 1, you'll have a hard time finding more bad ones then good ones, unless you are attracted to bad games, if that makes sense?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 12:13:59 AM »

Get the Playstation Spyro games.  They're great fun for kids and adults alike.

My boys (ages 6 and 4) also love Monsters Inc., Lego Racers (but the load times are horrible: get the PC version if you can), and Toy Story 2.  They want to like Crash Bandicoot Warped, but it's often a little too hard for them.  They love Spyro most of all, though.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 12:33:13 AM »

I also reccomend Spyro.  The first one was great fun.  I think the graphics hold up pretty well because it isn't meant to be detailed but more bright.  The controls are also extremely smooth.  I had a blast with it.

My love for Castlevania: SotN knows no bounds!

I also liked the Gex games.  Might be alone in that, though.  Ah, and MediEvil.  An interesting that might appeal to kids and adults alike is Skullmonkeys.  Nectaris: Military Madness is a decent remake of the old Turbo-Grafix 16 classic.

RPG/SRPG reccomendations beyond those already mentioned: Suikoden, Vandal Hearts, Brave Fencer Musashi, Grandia, Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Breath of Fire III, Tales of Destiny I & II.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 12:33:20 AM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
I will say though, time has not been kind to PS1 FPS or even 3rd person shooter games. To me, the textures are just painful to watch.

which is why the games just tend to look better on the portable screen - it really does make ps1 games more playable...

as for recommendations, i'll second rhapsody - fun, enjoyable intro to srpgs for close to all ages...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
TomAEG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 12:42:31 AM »

The first couple Crash Bandicoot games were quite a bit of fun... There's also a Looney Tunes Racing game that should be good for kids
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 01:49:50 AM »

Whoa ! Thanks for all those recommendations, I can't wait to build up the PS1 library  biggrin .
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 01:55:38 AM »

Also consider Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exodus- excellent and unique platformers.

As far as the FF games being kid safe- FF7 and 8 are probably "safe" from a content standpoint (no really overt sex or violence) but the I'm not sure a 9 year old would be interested in their stories.  FF 4-6 (available in PSX compilations) and FF9 would be better bets for pre-teens.  

I'll mention Fear Effect as a PS1 game I enjoyed recently.  The controls can be frustrating but it still holds up graphically thanks to gorgeous animated backgrounds and almost cel-shaded characters and has a very cool vibe.  Definitely one for adults though.  

Also highly recommend Metal Gear Solid unless you have a Gamecube in which case I'd recommend the remake, The Twin Snakes.  

There is really an absolute ton of fantastic games to choose from.  I still play PS1 games regularly (was playing Soul Reaver last week, in fact).
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 03:23:17 PM »

it sucks how all these are so rare now, thankfully I have a lot of the classics, but I'm still missing a few.  I'll have to check the local gamestop to see what they have.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 03:48:07 PM »

Don't miss out on the two Lunar games that were released for the PS1.  smile  They're basically the console RPG equivalent of a well-done Disney or Pixar film:  great for families since the stories are kid-friendly with a lot of innuendo for jokes and such that adults will get but will go over kids' heads.  slywink  Silver Star Story is still one of my favorite games on the system.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 07:01:18 PM »

Just FYI, FF7 does have quite a bit of foul language (shit, Goddamn, etc.) that may or may not be appropriate for younger kids.  Depends on your attitude towards that stuff, I suppose.

Most of the Squaresoft (man, it feels wierd typing that) PS1 RPG's are excellent.  The FF games, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, the Mana series, and FF:  Tactics are all worth a look.  Their interest for a 9-year-old would probably vary, but I'd say FFIX, Chrono Cross, or the Mana games would be good ones.

Also, try to find a copy of Skullmonkeys.  It's a hilarious platformer done in a claymation style.  It's pretty difficult, but an absolute blast to play.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 11:59:28 PM »

Lots of good RPGs have been mentioned so far; I'd also recommend the Arc the Lad games if you like SRPGs.  I've played the first and part of the second games, and they've been a lot of fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: