http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 12:55:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prototype  (Read 13764 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2009, 01:56:42 PM »

I'm a firm believer in helicopters myself.  Makes taking down a base very easy for most of the game.  Also you can pick up orbs while in the helicopter.

It doesn't hurt that I love the animation for hijacking the choppers as well... especially the apaches.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2009, 05:41:49 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 13, 2009, 01:22:25 PM

Quote from: Purge on June 13, 2009, 07:28:09 AM

It's no crackdown, but I like this better than inFamous.

This is less repetitive, and the skill tree has some twists to it.

As for the climbing of buildings, once you get near the top, hold your grab button instead of trying to run up. Also, your kick can sometimes help you get back to the building.

Unfortunately, the very top of some buildings (where they like to hide those orbs) won't let you grab hold.

I finally got the Chrysler building orb with the level 3 jump, so if you cannot get it right away don't frustrate yourself trying.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2009, 06:29:12 PM »

please stop!! I cant resist for much longer....

Quote from: TiLT on June 13, 2009, 01:39:37 PM

Rolling down a busy street with a tank while dozens of cars drive around on the screen, desperately trying to steer away from you, and hundreds of people run away in panic, is just awesome! The lack of detail in the graphics is more than made up for in the sheer amount of stuff going on at any one time. The place really feels like a city.
  eek that just sounds so great!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2009, 06:35:03 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 13, 2009, 06:29:12 PM

please stop!! I cant resist for much longer....

Quote from: TiLT on June 13, 2009, 01:39:37 PM

Rolling down a busy street with a tank while dozens of cars drive around on the screen, desperately trying to steer away from you, and hundreds of people run away in panic, is just awesome! The lack of detail in the graphics is more than made up for in the sheer amount of stuff going on at any one time. The place really feels like a city.
  eek that just sounds so great!

what's even better is unloading the APC's gun into the crowd.  I was mistaken about the XP while running them down though, but I swear I wasn't in an infected zone when I was getting it.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2009, 07:51:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 13, 2009, 05:41:49 PM

As for the climbing of buildings, once you get near the top, hold your grab button instead of trying to run up. Also, your kick can sometimes help you get back to the building.

Unfortunately, the very top of some buildings (where they like to hide those orbs) won't let you grab hold.

I finally got the Chrysler building orb with the level 3 jump, so if you cannot get it right away don't frustrate yourself trying.

well,you can just run up the side of the building can't you?..i just got this game today...is the building in a hot zone or something?

i am liking the game,but it feels a little watered down...perhaps i had too high expectations of it after the commercial i saw for it last night,i am liking the story(very glad it went '18 days earlier' after the prologue,as i am a story whore for my games)

only about 3 hrs in....my last mission was collecting samples from the water tanks

ps- i love the gliding

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2009, 07:57:30 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 13, 2009, 07:51:04 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 13, 2009, 05:41:49 PM

well,you can just run up the side of the building can't you?..i just got this game today...is the building in a hot zone or something?

there's an orb at the very top of the buildings spire which is too narrow to run up and it won't register as climbable for some reason.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2009, 08:55:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 13, 2009, 07:57:30 PM

there's an orb at the very top of the buildings spire which is too narrow to run up and it won't register as climbable for some reason.

I went up as high as I could (standing on the highest ledge) and jumped up to it (via Jump 3). Assuming this is the same one as I'm thinking of.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2009, 03:02:39 AM »

Just picked this up today talk about just massive carnage I love it. icon_twisted

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2009, 03:11:44 AM »

Only about a half hour in and like it a lot more than Infamous.

Lots of fun!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2009, 04:28:33 AM »

at least inFamOUS didn't feel the need to nerf you at least 2 times.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2009, 04:32:14 AM »

Whoah, do they pull the old "take all your weapons away" schtick mid-game?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2009, 04:53:16 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 14, 2009, 04:32:14 AM

Not all, just a bunch.  smile  You can still fly like a ninja/squirrel

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2009, 06:31:24 AM »

I still can't believe that games still do this. frown
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2009, 06:39:19 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 14, 2009, 04:53:16 AM

Quote from: Turtle on June 14, 2009, 04:32:14 AM

Not all, just a bunch.  smile  You can still fly like a ninja/squirrel

luckily it's only for a few, albeit really annoying, missions, and what you get afterwards look really effing cool!  of course the annoyance factor makes me feel even less bad about slaughtering everyone that stands.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2009, 06:41:39 AM »

So how many of you are still trying to play good guys that don't ruthlessly consume and kill civilians?  Does the game reward you in any way for it?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2009, 07:09:20 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 14, 2009, 06:41:39 AM

So how many of you are still trying to play good guys that don't ruthlessly consume and kill civilians?  Does the game reward you in any way for it?

I'm definitely not trying to play with kid gloves; I kill whomever or whatever stands in my way.  I don't think the game rewards/punishes you for civilian kills in any way, and I'm kind of thankful for that.  It allows you to just go nuts with your powers rather than constantly trying to constantly hold back and avoid the tons of civilians running around.

I also have to say that now that I've played for a few more hours today I am enjoying the game more.  I think I made the mistake of trying to get the orb on top of the Chrysler building when first playing, and that was incredibly frustrating.  Going back to just playing the game and doing the side missions and I'm having a lot more fun with it.  Getting the hang of the controls and enjoying the upgrades.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:12:38 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2009, 07:22:45 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 14, 2009, 07:09:20 AM

Quote from: Turtle on June 14, 2009, 06:41:39 AM

I'm definitely not trying to play with kid gloves; I kill whomever or whatever stands in my way.  I don't think the game rewards/punishes you for civilian kills in any way, and I'm kind of thankful for that.  It allows you to just go nuts with your powers rather than constantly trying to constantly hold back and avoid the tons of civilians running around.

yeah, there's no good/evil meter so you can just let loose.  besides, if they didn't want to die they shouldn't have been in Manhattan to begin with!

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2009, 07:32:57 AM »

There's only one way you can be "nice" and get rewarded for it in the game. There's a trophy/achievement called Nice Guy, with the text: "Complete the game while consuming 10 Civilians or fewer". I definitely won't qualify for that one. slywink I regularly pick up 3-5 civilians as a snack between battles.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2009, 10:21:52 AM »

Game is so much fun!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2009, 12:28:51 PM »

when upgrading,i wish they could of come up with some other way of having an internal shop...have him find the upgrades,for end of mission bonus's or something

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2009, 07:40:48 PM »

Man, this game just keeps pushing the right buttons with me. I had to stop playing for the day (after about 8 hours of near constant gameplay) when I hit a particularly hard mission that requires some patience, but the game is never frustrating. Even when you come across really dangerous opposition, you're so powerful that you can just find a bunch of weaker enemies and really destroy them. I've walked into military bases and killed about a hundred people inside without even breaking into a run, just casually walking up to them and tearing them apart slowly and carefully, letting their friends witness the whole gruesome deal while they barely even dent my armor. Satisfying! smile

You sometimes get into situations where you have to help one faction against the other, which gets complicated once you realize that even though you're trying to help, your "allies" will still try their hardest to kill you. One particularly fun situation had me infiltrating a defensive operation in the military, defending a vehicle standing still at an intersection while wave after wave of mutant hunters jumped over the walls. I quickly had to abandon my costume, instead opting for heavy armor and a blade for an arm. We pushed back about two waves of hunters before one of the soldiers called out over the radio: "What the fuck is that? That isn't one of ours! Open fire!". I managed to slaughter a few soldiers who fired at me until they got too distracted by another wave of hunters and decided to leave me alone for the time being. You're never quite safe in this game, and the pacing is relentless and fun.

There are only five or so boss battles in Prototype, but they're incredibly intense with an insane amount of stuff going on all at once. Because the game goes into slow-motion for a second or two every time you target an enemy or bring up the radial menu, the battles also tend to get very cinematic.

I'm sure you can tell by now that I really like this game. This is everything inFamous should have been but wasn't.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2009, 08:12:20 PM »

I dunno, Prototype sounds very fun but in a very different way than inFamous was trying to be.  That said, I do think Infamous could have used a lot more up close and personal powers like Prototype has so you can really feel like a superpower and wade into combat.

I plan to pickup prototype ASAP.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 14, 2009, 07:40:48 PM

There are only five or so boss battles in Prototype, but they're incredibly intense with an insane amount of stuff going on all at once. Because the game goes into slow-motion for a second or two every time you target an enemy or bring up the radial menu, the battles also tend to get very cinematic.

that actually pleases me that there are so few,i had a hard time with a mission at the beginning,where i had to destroy 6 gas cylinders or something(inside a military base) while lots of Hunters were raining down on me(i remember it going slow motion on me at points in that fight as well)...i don't think that was a boss fight,so if i am having a hard time with that part...the few main bosses are a blessing

finding tanks are a great refuge for me,if running low on health,infact its pretty much becoming standard now for a mission

also i love doing a 'wolverine'....claws out,jumping off buildings and slashing/smashing the helicopters  nod...i never get tired of doing that

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 14, 2009, 08:43:28 PM

that actually pleases me that there are so few,i had a hard time with a mission at the beginning,where i had to destroy 6 gas cylinders or something(inside a military base) while lots of Hunters were raining down on me(i remember it going slow motion on me at points in that fight as well)...i don't think that was a boss fight,so if i am having a hard time with that part...the few main bosses are a blessing

Actually, that IS the first boss fight. You'll know you've been through a boss fight when you get a trophy/achievement for it (and they specifically mention that it was a boss fight as well). It was pretty brutal at the time as you didn't really have any room to calm down your nerves, but other boss fights sometimes let you retreat to areas of relative and temporary safety so that you can get some health back and plan your next move. You'll have an easier time with the next boss, but the one after that is probably going to kick your ass at first.

A small tip: If you find yourself getting overwhelmed with enemies during a boss fight (and in any other fight, for that matter, though in a boss fight it is way more important that you focus on the boss instead of the mooks), pull out a devastator attack. Those usually clear the immediate playfield of smaller enemies and take a large chunk out of the boss as well if you're lucky.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:00:52 PM by TiLT » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2009, 09:07:26 PM »

well,that was ages ago actually..i didnt realise it was a boss fight,but now you mention it,i remember getting an Achievement...it prolly didnt help matters that it wasnt too far from the beginning(or so it felt),it pretty much felt like i had been thrown in,in the deep end on that fight....when the third lot of hunters fell down i was  'AWWW C'MOOON!!!'  but i turned out i only had to kill 1 or 2 more,i didnt know that at the time:icon_lol:

looking at my profile on xbox.com....i see i have 3 Achievements,LOL...and only one is the hunter fight,the other two is for the upgrading and the other for the web of intrigue...i have put in about 5-6 hrs now,but i have done quite a bit of free roaming,looking for people to fill my Web of Intrigue(with the red signs over their heads),running up walls,gliding,just general playing about etc

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2009, 09:14:18 PM »

I may not agree with the final conclusion, but this is pretty damned funny:

http://www.destructoid.com/how-prototype-is-blatantly-better-than-infamous-135979.phtml

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2009, 10:05:30 PM »

Amusing, despite the writer being an absolute idiot.  I assume he must be 12 years old or so.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 14, 2009, 09:14:18 PM

http://www.destructoid.com/how-prototype-is-blatantly-better-than-infamous-135979.phtml
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2009, 10:31:38 PM »

Before I started playing, a guy at work was complaining about that first hunter fight, saying that you had to throw ammo crates at the tanks, which sucked because of all the hunters.  Knowing this, I was apprehensive going into it.  I tried to throw a crate or two, and said to hell with that.  Tried to claw them to no avail.  Then I remembered the rocket launchers, which did the job nicely.

The next day I told him how I'd done it, and he said that grabbing the launchers was too much of a pain.   retard

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2009, 10:38:40 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 14, 2009, 10:31:38 PM

Before I started playing, a guy at work was complaining about that first hunter fight, saying that you had to throw ammo crates at the tanks, which sucked because of all the hunters.  Knowing this, I was apprehensive going into it.  I tried to throw a crate or two, and said to hell with that.  Tried to claw them to no avail.  Then I remembered the rocket launchers, which did the job nicely.

The next day I told him how I'd done it, and he said that grabbing the launchers was too much of a pain.   retard

I went through that fight and thought the same thing- the Hunters seemed to pounce and knock them out of my hands just as would pick one up, plus I wasn't use to the controls yet and it seemed like I was always overshooting them.  alos, with the auto parkour the indoor combat portions (2 so far- the one mentioned and one later on inside a hive) are a pain in the ass as you may find yourself accidentally running up a wall, making yourself an easy target as you try to keep a lock on a target and move at the same time.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2009, 11:09:16 PM »

Quote from: onnel on June 14, 2009, 10:05:30 PM

Amusing, despite the writer being an absolute idiot.  I assume he must be 12 years old or so.

I think he was trying to sound like a 12 year old.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2009, 11:33:46 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 14, 2009, 11:09:16 PM

Quote from: onnel on June 14, 2009, 10:05:30 PM

I think he was trying to sound like a 12 year old.

he does have some fair points, like how does Cole drink to stay hydrated and the chain link fence bit.  oh, and number 9 could be true  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2009, 12:32:45 AM »

I couldn't even make it through half the article.  Lame.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2009, 12:49:13 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on June 15, 2009, 12:32:45 AM

I couldn't even make it through half the article.  Lame.

you need to accept that it's a satire.  seriously, skip to points 9 and 10 if you think he's being serious.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2009, 02:41:13 AM »

Except that it's poor satire.  Destructoid knows that anything involving putting down PS3 stuff gets hits, so they put this out under the guise of satire, but they're really just letting someone troll for hits.  That said, I agree with a lot of its points.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2009, 02:41:37 AM »

If Cole were to audition for the Justice League, Batman would give him a wedgie and then laugh him out of the building. He'd be right to do so. If Mercer turned up for the same audition, he'd probably just eat Batman.

That pretty much sums up my playstyle in Prototype.  icon_lol

Out of all the games I've ever played...no character has made feel like a bigger badass than Mercer. Having a rough day? I just go on a rampage through NYC, and I feel much better.  icon_twisted
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2009, 03:00:48 AM »

I'll give iNfamOuS this:  outside of the main story missions the side missions were alot more interesting than the challenges Prototype has.  other than the consume challenges to unlock more of the Web I haven't even bothered with 'kill x guys within x minutes' or 'Race here'.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2009, 03:45:56 AM »

Bah, you know Batman would be well prepared for Mercer before he even arrives.

He'd have some anti-prototype spray that would take away most of Mercer's abilities just before, half way through, and 2 brawls before the fight was over.   icon_twisted
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2009, 04:26:33 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2009, 10:38:40 PM

Quote from: Chaz on June 14, 2009, 10:31:38 PM

I went through that fight and thought the same thing- the Hunters seemed to pounce and knock them out of my hands just as would pick one up, plus I wasn't use to the controls yet and it seemed like I was always overshooting them.  alos, with the auto parkour the indoor combat portions (2 so far- the one mentioned and one later on inside a hive) are a pain in the ass as you may find yourself accidentally running up a wall, making yourself an easy target as you try to keep a lock on a target and move at the same time.

You can deal with the tanks by running on top of them while slashing. That's what I did, at least. Just do a few passes, and the tanks will be gone, and you don't have to let the hunters catch up with you this way.
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2009, 02:16:28 PM »

I thought this was pretty funny: Alex Mercer, Prototypical Dick.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2009, 02:49:16 PM »

Taking powers away mid-game is lame, but it seemed more like an attempt to get me to learn the combat combos better than to be annoying.  It was still annoying, but I did learn some of the combos I would never have used if I still had the whip arm.  In fact, the game made me purchase a specific combo before I went into that mission. 

Tip:  Don't worry about side missions while your powers are gone...just plow through the 3-5 story missions.  You will be rewarded with awesomeness beyond what you started with before your powers were...suppressed.  And by awesome I mean...nevermind, you have to see it to appreciate it.  Think anime meets Aliens+Blade.  Weird, but badass.  Oh and for those early missions, try and use disguises, they make life a lot easier (I didn't at first, and it was non stop strike teams the entire time). 

Things that were cool about my last play session:
- Flying over the city in a gunship at night.
- Skyjacking said gunship with my whip arm grab.
- Grabbing orbs while in the gunship.
- My new post parasite look. 
- Watching Manhattan turn into a set for 28 Days...and me being one of the monsters.
- Dark Hero...not so much.  I killed thousands of civilians on my last mission as just collateral damage.  No good comes to the local population when I show up.  Of course, they're f***ed anyway, so it's either me now, or the virus in a few days. 
- Slicing open a tank with my new post parasite weapon.

Things that were not cool:
- X+B.  I do not have the thumb dexterity to pull this off.  This is a 2 finger move for me, and that makes it mostly useless.  I want to cannonball into helicopters!  Ah well...I don't need that move anymore, but it would have been fun.
- Losing powers.
- When the game recommends getting a disguise for the mission, I really should have listened.       
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: